• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phoots
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2011

Mom Update 10/12/2012

I'm back home after spending a week with my Dad and sitting at my Mom's bedside. I'll be driving back to Arizona next Friday; earlier if needed.

I'm afraid I don't have good news. Mom's primary doctor requested a family meeting today. He told us that Mom is extremely sick. She has E. coli from when her colin was disturbed during surgery, pneumonia and her kidneys aren't working. They suctioned out a buck of junk from her lungs today and she is breathing easier, but the pneumonia is getting worse. Her kidney's have stopped making urine, hence she's on dialysis. As I said in an earlier thread, Mom is on a respirator. Depending on when we visit, Mom's temperature could be too high or it could be very low. Mom is getting medication to keep her blood pressure up, but they keep having to increase this medication. Wednesday she was given two units of whole blood. Thursday they gave her two units of platlets. There are 5 doctors working to help my Mom and round the clock nursing.

Today the primary doctor requested a family meeting. He told us what has happened to this point, which we know. Then he told us that they have done 2 cat scans of her belly. At this time they will not do anymore surgery because it's not necessary. But they will get new scans every couple of days to check for pockets of infection. They will only do surgery if there is a clear infection that has to be removed.

Here's the problem. Right now he is giving her a 50% chance of surviving this. If they do surgery, there is a chance she won't survive. If she does, her chances of recovering from the second surgery and all the other problems is only 10%. The doctor asked my Dad today, if her heart stopped, what do you want us to do. With no hesitation, he said do everything you can to revive her. I had asked my Dad that same question yesterday. Mom and Dad had never discussed this. The doctor said that with as sick as she is, there is a very real chance that her heart could stop at any moment.

To everyone who is reading this...take a few minutes with your spouse or significant other and discuss whether or not you want to be kept alive with the aid of machines? If you or your spouse/significant other's heart were to stop, do you want the doctors to do everything possible to save that person's life? It's not an easy conversation, but it can be important. Also, if there's one person in the family who pays bills, make sure the other person knows how to pay them if need be. My Dad has never had to pay bills. Now he's learning the hard way. He didn't even know where my Mom's checkbook was. Also, Dad has never done any grocery shopping. He's learning now.

It's so amazing how you can go into the hospital for a relatively routine surgery and end up on death's door. My Dad won't visit my Mom because it breaks his heart. I've been going because I don't want her to be alone. My sister goes because Mom is her best friend in the whole world!

I'm sorry if I've been rambling. Driving home today was really hard. I'm only 2 hrs away, but that can seem like a lifetime.

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers.

Love to all,
    Pam in Vegas
    Pam in Vegas
  • K. McEuen
    Super Moderator
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Mom Update 10/12/2012

Sorry that you all weren't given better news. It's crazy that going in for something fairly routine has turned into this. Really a huge part of why I hate hospitals.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Musical_Starling
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2012

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Pam. It's incredible how quick things can happen sometimes And I completely agree with letting loved ones know your wishes. My husband is well aware of my wishes and so is one of my sisters. When something like that happens it's hard enough to see your loved ones go through that, but not knowing what they would want makes it even harder. Thanks for keeping us posted, and for the reminder to have "the talk"
      *Dee*
      Believe
      There Is
      Good In The World

Comment

• brook
        Missouri Star
        • May 2011

Pam, I am so sorry about your Mother's condition. It's hard to make that terrible decision for someone you love. I also know it's also hard to watch them suffer. God has helped and comforted me through MANY times in my life in critical matters, I know he can comfort you too.
        :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

• bkthomas
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2012

My prayers are with you Pam.....
          ~Kathy~

Comment

• shannonsaulter
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

Pam such a hard thing to go through..been there..stay strong..and I hope people have that hard talk with their families..
            These things, I warmly wish for you-
            Someone to love, some work to do,
            A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
            And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
            `*.¸.*´
            ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
            (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
            http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Comment

• Klasien
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2011

My thoughts are with you Pam, I hope you have a good night rest and please take good care of yourself!!!

((((HUGS))))
              It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Comment

• dwil23
                Missouri Star
                • May 2012

Pam, my heart is breaking for you and your family. This all sounds like my Mom's situation in so many ways. Hers started with an asthma attack. I will keep you all and her doctors and nurses in my prayers.
                Donna

Comment

• Winniesfriend
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

Sending hugs and prayers to you and your family Pam, I do so agree with you about having "the talk" unfortunately I have seen the situation many times when people do not know what there family member might prefer as there end of life management, and so many do not have realistic expectations.....I hope you mum continues to improve.
                  Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leoniesigpic

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

Pam, I am so sorry to hear how sick your mom is. I pray for her recovery, and know how difficult it is to make those dfficult decisions on ressusitation, been there myself with my own parents and husband.

Comment

• CrazyMtnLady
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2011

My prayers are with you and your family.
                      Donna
                      MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

• Bubby
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

Pam, I'm so sorry your Mom is having such a rough time. I am keeping your Mom and you and your family in prayer. I'm glad you are able to be with your Mom. (((Pam)))))......Barb
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Monique
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2011

Pam, my heart breaks for you. Prayers being said for you and your family. Sending you cyber hugs.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• RFREE
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2010

Pam I am so sorry to read this. I went through a similar situation with my own mother. Please know my prayers will continue for her and your dad. Please take care of yourself and stay strong for them.

Comment

• quilter.martha
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2011

I'm so sorry to learn of your mom's condition Pam. You are in my prayers. God can and will give you all comfort and strength in the days ahead.
                              When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
                              X