PDA

View Full Version : Happy Friday October 1st...chat and laughs

Laura108
October 1st, 2010, 02:17 AM
Good Morning October....Yep still sleepless in Cana but tonight its ok I have been getting blocks together and having some fun with it. I did a charm pack of circle's and put them on a creamish background. I did cheat a bit and put some wonder under down to keep it from slipping in the corners. I might even get to sew around a few tonight. The wind is whipping her sounds a bit haunted ....yikes@@ .
Blondie posted a link to a new quilt magazine in the forums.....very nice patterns in their free to download ...
I also see Miss Gina is back and hope she joins us in the chit chat...what energy she has...
Will be on line til the sandman decides to come...hopefully it wont be right around the time for my doctors appointment lol!!

Lola2Ace
October 1st, 2010, 03:22 AM
Good morning from me too! I am still up, but getting ready to head to bed. I sure hope you are able to get some sleep soon Laura, it has to be miserable not being able to sleep! I sure hope the Dr. can give you some help.
I am sooo not a fall/winter person, so I am really not welcoming October, but will have to make do.
I guess I can just look at it as more time to quilt and cuddle up in one.
Lola

quiltingtrish
October 1st, 2010, 03:54 AM
Well, Katie had her MRI and now we wait until the orthopedic appt. to see what they found out with her kneww. That is next week.
Husbands radiator broke an hour from home so I drove down in the pouring down rain to go get him and Katie. Didn't get home until 8. What a long day!

For those that want to send Odie a letter, please make sure it's just a letter. NO CARDS. The coloring page is great. Any item sent would be taken away. And any food items sent - he would be forced to eat the whole thing in front of the drill instructor and fellow recruits. Since he is in Marine basic training, they are very strict as to what they can and cannot have. It's all nothing except letters during the 13 weeks they are there. We are also instructed to not call them a Marine until they graduate which is in Dec. for him.
It sounds pretty cruel for what they are going through, but they got this whole mind control thing going on with them. I'm sure he is looking forward to some letters to encourage him.

Well, back to bed for now. Another long day tomorrow to go pick up husbands truck. Hope the rains are gone by then.

See ya all tomorrow!

Hugs,

Blondie
October 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/1gmm.gif

Good Morning Ladies

Spent the afternoon and evening in the basement with hubs - got the water out and the dehumidifier going; now I have to go through the stuff that was in cardboard boxes on the floor that soaked up some of the wet stuff. It contains my various scraps. I know I need more totes but counting pennies here does not allow many extras, as I am sure many of you can appreciate. Hubs is planning on bringing home some plastic crates that I can put things on if this happens again. I believe we will need a load of dirt and rocks for that side of the house. I think erosion and stinking moles have played havoc with that side of the property. Sigh. My days off will be seen sorting and cleaning as opposed to sewing, but that is okay. I will wash and dry the scraps and re organize them again, lol.

Trish, I will get a letter to your son today. How proud I am with you over him! He will be certain to enjoy home coming and your hugs and cooking.

Lola, my sis suffers from seasonal blues; I love fall, not too wild over winter but am definietely not a summer person. Sis believes it depends on the time of year we were born. I am a December baby, she is an April baby. She lives for the spring and summer. We are busy planning on handwork to keep her blues at bay this year. She does the most incredible hand embroidery. I don't have the patience for that. I am trying to talk her into doing the hand quilting while I do the machine piecing. Sounds like a plan to me, LOL.

Laura, hoping that the Dr visit will give you some rest. I really believe that everything you have been through recently is the root cause of the sleeplessness. Still, it is a miserable thing to go through. Been there, done that, owner of that particular t shirt.

Well ladies, I am running a wee bit late this morning, have to hurry and read more of the posts and then off to work. Prayers to everyone for a great day.

ginampls
October 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM
woo hoo i"m back. i have been working on the binding to my mom's quilt... is it just me but i seem to let house work go when i quilt.. my next project is a quilt the super gave me to fix... hios grand ma made it it is from the thirties.. he had washed it used fabric softener... and the back seems to be intact. but the 4 inch squares some of then have dissolved. just freyed strings... i will post pick and get opinions for fixing... nice and rainy...
and today is hopefully my pay day. on ssi since bill my husband died.... sure does come in handy.

i am thinking of doing memory quilts. like people bring me their loved ones clothing... i make quilt of shirts and the like... we will see how it goes...

hillbilly
October 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Good morning all!

I hope that doc helps you get some sleep!

We are going to have a busy weekend here, so I won't be on much.

Seth has an all day activity tomorrow, we are going to spend some time geocaching today just to get out of the house. I really miss my long hikes since getting pregnant with this baby. I used to hike miles and now I do good to get in a mile.

Hubby got paid today...so tomorrow I finally get to go get some fabric for the swap! I am excited as he is off work tomorrow. He needs the day of rest, and I am missing/worrying about him working both jobs.

Well, have a great weekend if I don't talk to you before!

toggpine
October 1st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Oh Blondie, how horrible! Nobody wants to go through their stash that way! I have had to use cardboard boxes in the past to move fabrics & blankets, not the best plan, but you do what you have to. I line them with a plastic bag and then when the box is full, I just close it loosely at the top. This way if the box gets wet, or somebody spills something the stuff inside won't soak up the wetness. You can't leave fabrics in the plastic bags all sealed up for too long, but it is a temporary solution until you can purchase the totes on a schedule that fits your budget. Or you use them up.
Trish, I wish the best for your daughter. That has to be a hard wait for you all. I am sure your son will do just fine and be a proud member of the Marine Corps.
I don't have a perfect solution for the insomniacs in here. I have had a couple bouts with it, and I usually end up with a really clean house and several letters (yes, on paper) to family and friends. Have you tried exercise? Not personally one of my favorite pastimes, but a long walk, swimming, or mowing the lawn has the ability to relax me enough to help me sleep. The only other time I had insomnia was after a nasty cold that I had been treating with Dayquil/Nyquil. It took almost two days before I was back to normal. Laura, I hope your doctor can help you find a solution!
Off to do farm chores and then wade into the sewing room! The husband left this AM for Guy Camping! I have the weekend to get this room done so I can get back to sewing when I can squeeze it in.
Happy Quilting!

pdjewelrylady
October 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Happy October 1st!! WOW only 92 days left in the year!! I feel a new block swap coming on! :D

Keepstitchin
October 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
I love the fall! It is my favorite time of year, the colors, the scent of woodsmoke in the air. I add my own scent of smoking salmon as well.

I sure hope the insomnia bug gets cured, there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep! I have to agree with an above poster, exercise makes a huge difference. Not my favorite either!

I should be studying today, but I need to do some serious cleaning, floors, bathrooms....yuck! Maybe I will study! :D

I am starting my block swap tomorrow, I can't wait to have a full day of stitchin'!

Have a great weekend everyone!

sally
October 1st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Good morning gang. I have a request of you all. My DH and I will be retiring in less than 3.5 years and we are designing our retirement home. I fiqure as quilters you all have great color senses and I need help with what color to paint the kitchen. Here is what I have in the kitchen. I am going with a vintage 30/40's look. So my cupboards are cream, quatz counter top with cream and brown. Wood floors. Subway tile backsplash in either whilte or off white. The window frames are white. I collect cream and green enamal cookware and jadite green bowls and such.
This material shown here has alot of my colors and am using it as curtians. (Shows white background but it is cream)Appliances will be white but the rest of the furniture will be wood... hoosier, ice box and bakers table (as an island). Also a wood cookstove in white enamel and chrome. So there you have it. Just can't find the right wall color. Any ideas?

pdjewelrylady
October 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
yellow - not too bright but not pastel

toggpine
October 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
How funny! I thought yellow too. A light lemonny color. If you aren't a yellow wall fan, perhaps a very pale green.

I am horrible with paint though. Most of my walls are off white. I just don't want to have to paint every time I decide to change the look of the room. Speaking of paint ... I had better get back to it. I am stalling.

Laura108
October 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Afternoon all. A very surprising day to say the least. But I do have an almost answer to insomnia...but before I say it. Jan I just love you and thank you for being my sounding board and strength thru everything.
Seems sometime in the last two weeks I had a small heart attack....achhh at 47 not what a girl wants to hear but the doctors office was wonderful. I have been having health issues just put them off when mom got so sick....Tip from one who knows dont fool with your health.
I am doing fine ...I have a heart monitor that is so NOT discreat but ...will help alot. A few new med's a few shots....heparin in the stomach....ouch!! I hated that and because now Im even more special I have Dr's appointments every other day for the next 10 days. I did laugh a little when he said what do you like to do I said anything quilting he said ...wonderful stay in bed and quilt. wow permission...haha But on a serious note thank you everyone for being so great and listening to me whine when I couldnt sleep..I really should of seen the signs but insomnia makes your heart beat funny cause your so tired...live and learn I guess. But no matter we will get this fixed and then Jan and I are going to MSCQ in person!! :icon_wave::icon_wave:
Sally I will ask Rodney when he gets home what color it is we put in our kitchen.Its in between a pale pale yellow and cream...accented the molding with a white it almost looks a bit candle lite with just the light over the kitchen sink.

Gina its nice to see you on this thread...you sound busy as usual.
Im going to sew a bit and check back on...
and honest I think the word heart attack is just plain skerry but I'm going to be fine and in good Dr's hands ....and I have Jan and Rodney so life is going to be fine now :)
hugs and love

hillbilly
October 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM
I like the yellow as well!!

I attempted to go out geocaching today. It's just not the same anymore. I love getting out and getting the exercise but a hike with a baby strapped on and one bummed up shoulder isn't as fun as I thought.

Seth is not an outdoors type boy. I am determined that Stephen not be the same way. I love the outdoors and will go hiking again someday when he can walk beside me! We did see a waterfall today. I love to see that out in nature, don't you?

What are your favorite places? Places where you like to go when life is crazy and you need to just get away? Woods, beach? Streams? Shopping malls?

I am a woodsy person and I love to hike along creeks and streams the most. I used to always take a dog...now I just need to train the baby to a leash.:D

janluna
October 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Shauna, I was thinking yellow at first and then I got a picture in my head with a burnt orange. Darker I know but the darker orangie colors are really pretty and that would add the color factor you are missing with all the creams and tans. The greens would set it off too. I know when I say orange everyone winces but get a color card of those colors and go with the calmest of the color. I've seen it done before and figured I wouldn't like it. Who wants orange in they're house. But the creams will tone it down and the orange or rust, sienna, type of color will just make it stunning and I mean that in the best way. Do you know what I mean. I could find a color card and send what I mean. I'm pretty good with colors. All my knitters, now quilters, ask me and are surprised when I'm right. I don't mean to sound conceited but I usually do good. Please don't think I'm crazy!!
On to other business. Please pray for Laura. She's really sick. They think she has had a heart attack and that she may have Lupus. They are doing all kinds of tests and she has to go back every other day to the doctors next week. She has been under a great deal of stress what with her Mom's passing and moving to Cana and other things and she needs all the prayer and good thoughts we can send to her. I'm worried about her. She needs healing of all kinds. Nerves, her heart, lupus and God knows what else. She's my girl and I want her well. Thank you, Jan

sally
October 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Keep them coming. Jan I am intriged by the burnt orange. I will play with that color or shades thereof on my desgn program tonight.
Laura you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad you have now gotten the medical attention you need. Keep looking after yourself and follow the dr.s orders. We want you around for a long long time:icon_kiss:

craftyladysam
October 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM
Sally, I've got a color in my dinning area that is between a yellow and orange and red goes very well with it! I"ve heard orange is a good color for the kitchen or dinning room, it makes you hungrey,LOL Laura so sorry to hear of your troubles and hope everything will calm down now for you! Better days ahead! Always look for the positive side of everything. My Mom always told me that and I say it to my children. May the Lord look after you and yours. God Bless you!

Blondie
October 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Wow, just getting home from work, dinner in the crockpot smells wonderful )pulled pork bar b que) and sitting here trying to get caught up. Y'all have the bestest ideas.
But first things first
HEART ATTACK? I tell you Ms. Laura, you will certainly keep this Carolina gal on her knees for a while. It does make sense, and yes, you have had your share. My folks oncologist always lets me know when he thinks I look rather pitiful. He is from the Ukraine and has the most fascinating grasp of American vocabulary. I know you will keep us informed on the progress. Any shot in the belly is wretched. I remember getting bit by a doberman when I was a wee little gal and way back in those days you got a battery of shots in the belly for rabies. Pretty dogs but never liked that breed since. Okay, I am rambling here . ..

I love the fabric you shared for your kitchen. A few years back before vintage became vogue, I decided to paint our kitchen. The walls are a weathered barn grey and then I stripped the varnish off the cabinets and painted them a dull barn red. I had hubs cut out a few of the doors and I made curtains to put in them. I am not good at description. Anyway, I change out those little curtains a lot and even make a sink skirt to go with them. Then a few weeks ago, I painted our bedroom - red and yellow. Don't run screaming. One wall is a brick red - a wee bit brighter than the cabinets, and the other three walls are a pale butter yellow. Told hubs it would keep us warm in the winter and be good for romance. Ha! He didn't know what I was going to do until he came home. He really was surprised at how much he likes it. He is still commenting on the difference it has made in the room.
So, told you all that to tell you to go with your gut. I like color. If you don't like it, you can paint over it. Heckfire shoot, I am not a good painter but if I could, I would come help paint! I've been known to do decorative painting on the walls - you know, branches, wisteria vines, etc.

Now that I've typed all this, I have forgotten what everyone else was saying that I should respond to. I suppose y'all will get used to my scatterbrain. My excuse right now is this: it's been a long day, standing on my feet, scrubbing, cutting and styling hair. The scents from the kitchen are tormenting me with hunger, so there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

janluna
October 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Laura, Me and Gina are lighting candles for you.

janluna
October 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Did you notice how many posts I have??? Boy what a big mouth. Sorry guys. If I get too wordy tell me to hush up. (nervous giggle)

ginampls
October 1st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Good morning gang. I have a request of you all. My DH and I will be retiring in less than 3.5 years and we are designing our retirement home. I fiqure as quilters you all have great color senses and I need help with what color to paint the kitchen. Here is what I have in the kitchen. I am going with a vintage 30/40's look. So my cupboards are cream, quatz counter top with cream and brown. Wood floors. Subway tile backsplash in either whilte or off white. The window frames are white. I collect cream and green enamal cookware and jadite green bowls and such.
This material shown here has alot of my colors and am using it as curtians. (Shows white background but it is cream)Appliances will be white but the rest of the furniture will be wood... hoosier, ice box and bakers table (as an island). Also a wood cookstove in white enamel and chrome. So there you have it. Just can't find the right wall color. Any ideas?

pale teal oooo... cinnamon with the cream and wood... could be cool

janluna
October 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
That is cool Gina

quiltingtrish
October 2nd, 2010, 12:19 AM
Oh - oh! Pale Teal!

I'm getting like Blondie. I read all these posts for Oct. 1st and forget what they were all about!
Except for Laura. So glad you got to the doctors and they are watching you. You are one special lady and want you around for much, much longer!

Hugs,

hillbilly
October 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Jan...please don't 'shut up' as you call it.

I sure feel sorry for Laura. I hope that the tests all go well, and that she gets feeling better soon. Prayers for her for sure!!!

I am tired tonight, it's been a long day. I doubt I'll answer too many other posts!

janluna
October 2nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
I was nice Tonya I said hush up. But thanks. lol

Texsam
October 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Laura

I hope you get to feeling better soon girl! Hopefully the doctors will figure it out and soon. In the meantime please take care of yourself. :icon_hug:

Jan

It's okay you go ahead and post (talk) all you need too. You are worried about a dear friend and if it helps then go ahead. You take care of yourself too. :icon_hug:

Good night all.

hillbilly
October 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
I was nice Tonya I said hush up. But thanks. lol

Oh...i thought you said shut up. LOL I was tired!

jrchapman
October 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM

I'd go for a nice soft green, both of these pictures have prints quite like yours with red highlights and I think it looks really cute. Does that count as pale teal? If so, I'm with Gina!