PDA

View Full Version : Rant, I'm beginning to feel invisible...

MayinJerset
October 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
What is it with people today, especially the ones with cell phones? They are on them constantly but never seem to return messages. Or, they leave their mail box filled so you can't leave a message. At least my DIL MJ reviews the phone #'s of who called and gets back to them, but not the case with my other DIL. Had to make several calls last week to find out if she would be attending the luncheon I was having. 3 weeks ago I left my DGD a message that my sister gave me a gift for her son's 1st Bday, that's my great grandson Jack. I know I had the right cell number as she indentified herself before I left my message. No reply as of yet. Saw my sister yesterday and she asked if they liked the gift and I was very embarrased to tell her it was still not picked up by my DGD. They aren't the only offenders about returning calls, many others do the same thing. and sometimes it's about business. Don't people want their business to succeed? Won't happen if they don't follow up messages left by customers. Forget about some doctor's offices!

Same lack of response from emails. I know a lot of people rather text than email but my SIL asked me several times to email her and keep her updated with our family which I like to do but she never does the same about her family. We both have married children, married grandchildren and a few great grandchildren so there's a lot going on with our families who lived in many different states. Lately I feel that maybe I took her too seriously since even when I've asked her "What's new?" and then asked "Haven't heard from you, is everything OK?' all she does is Forward me political or silly stuff. It's not that she doesn't know how to use the computer, she's the one who got me started on it by emailing.

Came across photos from my retirement dinner 15 years ago. Two gals I worked with arranged my surprise retirement dinner and we've kept in touch over the years but it's down to just a card at Christmas the past few years . That's understandable because our jobs were what we had in common years ago. About 6 months ago I came acroos a bunch of photos from my dinner and sent each of them a nice note thanking them again and enclosed copies of the photos. Never heard from either one of them.

Rant over..... guess I that got that off my chest and I'm moving on to spend my time keeping in contact with those who care more about being family and friends. May in Jersey

pcbatiks
October 10th, 2012, 11:13 AM
May, I know what you mean. My gripe is people talking loud on cell phones in public places, or while they are checking out in line at a store. If I get behind someone on a cell phone in line......I go to another line because I know they are not paying attention and it's just rude to the cashier and everyone in line behind them. About 5 years ago I went out to eat with a friend......while we were eating she got a call from her DH......nothing important and she talked and talked and talked and talked while I just looked around the room. If I had it to do over again I would have got up, paid my bill and left without telling her. I told myself.....this will not happen again.......haven't been out to eat with her since. It's sad but for the most part I think manners and courtesy have just about disappeared. When I do encounter someone polite and with good manners it almost catches me off guard........meaning that I am pleasantly surprised. On a funnier note.........a few years back my son & I were in a book store looking around........a woman in the store was on her phone yapping about nothing at the top of her lungs. It was so distracting that you could not shop......so my son pulled out his phone.........went and stood right behind her and started talking loud (to no one) on his phone to try and annoy her. Don't know if it worked but it sure was funny watching him!! Well, as you can tell I have a thing about rude people and cell phones...........I'll stop ranting now!

MayinJerset
October 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Love your son's response to that woman. What you said is another reason why I sometimes I'm invisible. These people talk as if I'm not there. I don't want to hear their conversations or know anything about their life so why are they sharing it with me? What do they all have to talk about that's so important that can't wait until they are in the privacy of their car or home? I've also found that the ones who are constantly on their cells can't hold a regular conversation. Try to talk with them and they have nothing to say about anything. Don't blame you for being offended by that gals talking to her DH while you were having dinner. Was at lunch with the gals the other day and at least they stepped away from the table to answer their cells and kept the conversation brief. It was only their DD's wanting to know why their moms weren't home when they called for a favor. Can't their moms have a few hours for themselves? Oh, that's another topic for another day.

pcbatiks
October 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
So how much trouble do you think we would be in if we yanked a phone out of someone's hand and threw it as far as we could?? Probably a lot.......but it makes me laugh just thinking about it!! Hope you have a "Obnoxious Cell Phone Call" free day!

Sasha Anzures
October 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
lol i was at craft warehouse yesterday when my hubby called me. he knocked himself on the head and was feeling woozy so wanted to talk to me. i was quietly talking to him and he asked "why are you so quiet?" i said i didn't want others to hear my conversation and it reminded me of a library!!! he took the hint and got off the phone!!! i do use it in public but i don't talk loud and NEVER in the checkout line!!!! that is seriously rude. MY pet peve is that ones that keep their ringers turned up SO LOUD and keep getting calls or text several times in a row and don't turn the phone to mute! although i do think your rants are very annoying too. but i suppose i am annoying people no matter how quiet i try to be when i can't avoid answering my phone! :)

toggpine
October 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I let my phone ring (set @ medium) in my purse while I was checking out. One lady asked "Are you going to answer that?" My reply was: "No. That would be rude. The phone is for MY convenience, not theirs, and I'll call them back when I am done."
The checker said thanks and that she wished more people treated their phones that way. The lady behind me said she hadn't thought about it that way.
I hope that she did after that!
Common courtesy has been forgotten by so many people in so many ways, it is just sad.

auntiemern
October 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I know what you mean. Sometimes I just want to flush my DD's phone down the toilet. She is constantly texting and such.

Claire Hallman
October 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I don't like getting calls when I am out and try to go to a quiet place to answer specially since I have a leeetle trouble hearing.
That being said, I love just having a cell phone and not a home phone anymore. Our house has become a very peaceful place without sales, political, and begging calls over and over.

shannonsaulter
October 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM
When out if someone calls and it no my kids or hubby send to voicemail. My hubby and my kids
know if im out don't call me unless it's important...love when people use their phones in
Public restrooms..really can't it wait?

lilmouse
October 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Try being a waitress and getting a food order....so many people can't get off the phone long enough to order their food and I refuse to stand there and wait.....that is just rude!!! One time a family was in to eat and the Mom was on the phone for a good 15 minutes..finally her husband took the phone away from her, shut it off and told her this is family time...you can have your phone back when we are finished with dinner!!! It was wonderful to see! Doesn't happen often enough!

MayinJerset
October 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Go ahead, excuse yourself and answer your cells, most of us don't have a problem with that but if it isn't an important call tell them you'll call them later. Loved the man who took his wife's cell away at restaurant, what a role model she is for her kids. If mom does it why can't I? Cells in the bathroom are just too much,. Just how important do they want us to think they are? That they are solving world conflict instead of just reminding their DH to pick up some milk on the way home?

buckeyequilter
October 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I have a cell phone because I live 15 miles from where I work.....most times I even forget I have it. I can and will ignore a ringing phone, if I don't feel like talking. It did, however, come in handy at the hospital and nursing home....instead of having to run all over looking for someone we just called each other and kept informed or let them know that they were needed in mom's room.

If you watch old Andy Griffith reruns on TV - people on cell phones remind me of them. They talk extremely loud....actually more like yelling into the phone. "AUNT BEE...IS THAT YOU.....AUNT BEE....CAN YOU HEAR ME" lol

NanaB
October 10th, 2012, 06:08 PM
My complaint regarding cell phones is that we have FRIENDS who put their 'smart'phones on the dinner table when we are out with them. The wife (especially) constantly scrolls through FaceBook messages. I think (NO, I KNOW) that is so rude. That tells me that the people on FB are much more important to them than we are. OK, thanks for letting me climb on the soapbox!!!

pcbatiks
October 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Wow......glad to know I'm not the only one. Our soapbox is getting crowded :D I wish all of you lived in my area.......sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few that doesn't constantly have my cell phone in my hand. If we all could go out and eat together we would have a good time...don't you think! A few times my phone rang while I was checking out but I let it ring and called them back when I got to my car. My DH and I have saw a couple in a restaurant sitting across from each other and the both were scrolling through their phones instead of talking to each other. Another time I witnessed 6 people sitting a a table together and at one point 4 out of the 6 had their elbows on the table, staring at their phones and texting! And then of course the mother & daughter we saw eating....the mother was playing a game on the phone (elbows on table) while the daughter just sat there...........it's just sad really!!!!!!! And if you can believe it.........my dad saw a guy riding through our town on a motorcyle and he was TEXTING!!! Well okay..........I'm going to climb down off the soap box so some of you can take a turn :D

Quilting Buddy
October 10th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I work in a bank and will not cash a check for someone until they get off their phone. I tell them I will not count back their money unless they are paying attention "for their own benefit". I was trying to open an account for someone the other day and he was angry with me when I "interrupted" his conversation to get his information. I can't do my job if you are on your phone!

New York Sue
October 10th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Oh now I've stumbled upon my most favorite rant! These phones have been found to be about as dirty as a toilet bowl ! (Is it any wonder? Some can't seem to get through a pee in a public restroom without talking on their phone...take it to the next order of business, the wipe...uh, you follow?) DISGUSTING.
Imagine my horror, when I saw a young nurse who was the CIRCULATOR (eyes, ears, the EVERYTHING to the patient, tech and surgeon(s), on a C-section, whip out her phone to show brag pics of her baby to a neonatalogist also on the case. STOP THE WORLD, I gotta get off!
Or the time I stopped at a local store for lunch meat, and the clerk held her phone up to her ear as she sliced the meat! Those slicers are dangerous, no? And of course we go back to the toilet thing....
My most humorous one is while grocery shopping, I witnesssed three tweens, one following the other, texting (probably to each other). The first stopped and the other two bumped smack into her! It was like dominos, or something you'd see on the Three Stooges. It would have gone viral on YouTube or Facebook, had I had a video camera or cell phone!
Maybe I'm becoming an old bitty, but not only do people look ridiculous walking along all hunched over texting and not paying attention to where there going, they seem to be losing the gift of conversation. Actually conversing! One evening I was at a restaurant, and a family of four was obviously celebrating their daughter's birthday. The all were gripping their phones. Texting, or checking this or that, with someone else. SO, SO sad.
I could go on, but that's enough for now....

aliaslaceygreen
October 10th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I work in a bank and will not cash a check for someone until they get off their phone. I tell them I will not count back their money unless they are paying attention "for their own benefit". I was trying to open an account for someone the other day and he was angry with me when I "interrupted" his conversation to get his information. I can't do my job if you are on your phone!

THIS!!!
I cannot do my job if you are too busy taking calls. I once had a woman answer TWO different PHONES while we were trying to design her orders. Really??

And, if you are wandering around the aisle of a store and I can learn your SS#, DOB etc while you are calling in prescription, you are too loud!

Musical_Starling
October 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM
My turn on the soapbox! lol I'll make mine short though (which should be quite a change from my normal routine lol). What really gets my goat, aside from the obvious ignorance and germ spreading and people turning into zombies is when I text my sister and get no answer, yet every time I see her she has her phone RIGHT THERE! Like she's freaking attached! Yet when I send a text message, "Oh, I didn't get it until just now", hours after I sent it. Maybe I should whipstitch it to her hand. I think she sleeps with it anyway, so what odds? lol

dizzyLiz
October 10th, 2012, 11:55 PM
OK, I have to jump in. I have patients come to my drive thru and proceed to have a longggggggg conversation as I try to wait on them...I simply walk away. The worst is when they are dropping off prescriptions and I ask for information....date of birth, drug allergies etc and the y get angry because I'm interrupting their phone call. Sigh, God is great, beer is good, and people........are CRAZY. Isn't that a song?? LOL

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM
OK, I have to jump in. I have patients come to my drive thru and proceed to have a longggggggg conversation as I try to wait on them...I simply walk away. The worst is when they are dropping off prescriptions and I ask for information....date of birth, drug allergies etc and the y get angry because I'm interrupting their phone call. Sigh, God is great, beer is good, and people........are CRAZY. Isn't that a song?? LOL

I would have walked away too....in a heartbeat! Have to jump back on the soap box....I just remembered another one. A few months ago I was in Target shopping. A woman on the same aisle was on her phone going over all the personal details of any upcoming procedure for one the males in the family.....what he could or could not have, discussing his meds......bodily functions and so on. Yes, she was tooooo loud. As I walked away I started counting how many aisles away I could get before I could not hear her clearly. Seven aisles away I could still hear her but could only understand part of what she was saying!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it?? May in Jersey, you have started a rant that is near to our hearts! Thanks for letting us all vent!

Lindagie
October 11th, 2012, 12:38 AM
People have them on in church, theatres and everywhere that they are specifically asked to turn them off. At a nursing convention, some of the speakers were being taped so people were asked to please turn off their phones or turn them to vibrate. I can't count how many people not only got phone calls during those lectures, but didn't have the decency to leave the room. They just talked as if nothing else was going on, oblivious to everyone around them who were trying to hear the speaker. So rude and inconsiderate to everyone else in the room.
I also can count on one hand how many people driving in heavy traffic DO NOT have their phone to their ear. No wonder they have so many accidents on the highway. The other thing that drives me crazy are the kids all sitting at a table texting each other instead of actually talking. No wonder people have no social skills these days.

aliaslaceygreen
October 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Oh, yes as well to the ignoring messages. I emailed my cousin last year for the correct and full snail mail addy as I was getting ready to mail Christmas gifts. She didn't respond. A week later I asked her mother. The cousin then finally responded, saying, yes, she got the message, but she was so busy...... Wait. Not busy enough to OPEN and READ the email, but too busy to hit reply, with YOUR OWN ADDRESS?? It wasn't something that needed research, for goodness sake!!

dwil23
October 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I hate texting. But if you want to communicate with most people that is the only way these days. My kids hardly know how to speak on a phone, and have told me not to bother to leave a voice mail - they won't listen to it anyway.

MayinJerset
October 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I hate texting. But if you want to communicate with most people that is the only way these days. My kids hardly know how to speak on a phone, and have told me not to bother to leave a voice mail - they won't listen to it anyway.

My isn't that a nice thing to tell your mother?

Don't get me wrong, Cells are very useful and convenient. The big problem is that they seem to have caused an epedemic of rudeness and self centeredness that is mindblowing, only they, their cell call and texting are the imporatant things in life, the rest of us can just disappear because we're blocking their addition.

The old stationery phones required you to sit down when you used one and you spoke with someone as if you were in their home or workplace. Next came portable phones that were great because we were so busy at home and work and we could do other things while talking, cook, clean, do some paper work, etc. Cells brought it all out into our cars and the streets and the explosion of rudeness was exposed.

CrazyMtnLady
October 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Great thread. DH and I only have cell phones and mine is always tethered to the laptop and rarely rings. :( I have no friends that all!) The only time I use my phone for calling is when DH and I are shopping and I need to know where he is in the store so I can find him. DH on the other hand has tons of phone calls. Neither on of us has texting capabilities on our phones.
I really do hate the rude people in lines or at restaurants. I was sitting in a booth about 3 away from a lady that was talking on her cell while I was TRYING to enjoy my dinner. She was talking about her mother like she was a raving crazy woman who needed to be put away in a nursing home. After she ended her conversation I walked to her table and told her: I was sorry to hear that her mother was so sick and would say a pray that she found peace and someone that really could care for her. She said...Oh you know my mom? I told her NO...But everyone in the restaurant does now. and walked away.

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Great thread. DH and I only have cell phones and mine is always tethered to the laptop and rarely rings. :( I have no friends that all!) The only time I use my phone for calling is when DH and I are shopping and I need to know where he is in the store so I can find him. DH on the other hand has tons of phone calls. Neither on of us has texting capabilities on our phones.
I really do hate the rude people in lines or at restaurants. I was sitting in a booth about 3 away from a lady that was talking on her cell while I was TRYING to enjoy my dinner. She was talking about her mother like she was a raving crazy woman who needed to be put away in a nursing home. After she ended her conversation I walked to her table and told her: I was sorry to hear that her mother was so sick and would say a pray that she found peace and someone that really could care for her. She said...Oh you know my mom? I told her NO...But everyone in the restaurant does now. and walked away.

Wow......Donna that is hysterical..........One of the days I'm going to do that...how did you keep a straight face. You made my day!!! :D