PDA

View Full Version : prayers for our dogs, now

dwil23
October 6th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I had just answered Lonna's request for prayers for her Max when I heard my sister calling for help. She walked into her room and found two of her dogs with her purse that they pulled off the table. What did they have - a bottle of Aleve.
Deadly. She knew there were not too many pills left, but wasn't sure how many. Three were found. We forced both dogs to vomit, using peroxide. Howard, a three legged Cur dog, vomited up two pills that were partially dissolved. Gumbo, a bully mix, finally vomited, but no sign of any pills. Both are acting fine. Neither she nor I can afford vet bills. I am still paying a huge bill from my daughter's dog, along with others.

Our heads tell us they are okay, but our hearts are worried. It will be a long and sleepless night. I would appreciate your prayers,

Thank You,
Donna

shannonsaulter
October 6th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Your babies are in my prayers...keep us posted

HandsOffItsMine
October 7th, 2012, 12:09 AM
When it rains it pours. It comes in threes. Even animals fall in the those cosmic things. My prayers are being said.

Hope the pups will be ok.

K. McEuen
October 7th, 2012, 12:48 AM
The dogs are better off than if they had gotten Tylenol. If I'm not mistaken Aleve is more aspirin based, which dogs can process. It also can act as a blood thinner, so make sure there aren't any doggie fights for the next week or so, just in case. Dogs can't process tylenol and it messes up their livers.

lilmouse
October 7th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Keeping them in prayer....it is so hard when it is animals because they can't really talk......I am sure you are both very anxious right now......you did the right thing and that is what matters.....should the dogs become constipated my GF (works in a vet office) advises to give them canned pumpkin...they love it and it clears them right out...and for the opposite problem feed them white rice plain with just enough broth that they will eat it! Hope this helps you out down the road should you need it!

Musical_Starling
October 7th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Oh, poor pups! Hopefully they didn't eat too many and it won't cause any problems. Keep us posted Donna, and in the meantime we'll keep the furbabies in our prayers :)

dwil23
October 7th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks all, I just checked on them and they seem normal - were more than happy for a dog treat. Will be checking every hour or so. My sister was so upset that she took something to help her sleep. It has been a very bad year for us with animals. My youngest daughter had a little dog, Dash, who was her best friend. She had some really bad times in high school and said more than once if it wasn't for him depending on her she would have .....

Last December, he got into Remadyl that we had for another dog. Our local vet was treating him, but he wasn't responding. We took him to UF and they worked a miracle. We were so happy and relieved. It was short lived, however. In February Dash was diagnosed with prostate cancer even though he had been neutered as a pup. We did EVERYTHING we could do and it just didn't help. Chemo, Radiation and 2 1/2 months and over 10K later, we had to let him go, the cancer was so aggressive that tumors were popping up overnight. That very night, my oldest daughter's dachsund was in distress. Turned out that Dash must have spit out his sedative we gave him before taking him to the vet and Roxie must have gotten ahold of it. Well over 1000 dollars later she was alright. All in all, I could have bought a brand new car with what I spent at the vet last year. I had to borrow from my retirement acct. and will be paying for it for five years. And there were other illnesses as well that were costly.

Sorry this is so long, just venting my fear, even though I know they will probably be alright.

Thanks for "listening"

pcbatiks
October 7th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Donna, praying that the dogs will be okay.......and you and your sister can get some rest.

auntiemern
October 7th, 2012, 02:18 AM
So sorry for all your puppy trouble. Aleve is naproxen sodium. It shouldn't bother them. I will keep them in my prayers tonight.

janluna
October 7th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Saying prayers for the puppies! Now you get some rest! Hugs, Jan L.

Lonna
October 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Donna hope your babies are alright this morning. My prayers are with you all. Max seems to be doing much better this morning but we have an appt to take him back today a noon to be checked. Hope you got a little rest and are able to nap today if need be.