PDA

View Full Version : has anyone used the Fons & Porter binding tool?

Cathy F
October 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
If so do you find it simplier than the other binding tool that Jenny shows?

Jess1377
October 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hmmm... havent seen it but love Jenny's binding tool. I do have to watch the tutorial a few times while using it though. Maybe I will look for the fons and porter one and see what it looks like.

Well, I just looked at it. It looks a bit more complicated to me, but that could be because I am used to the binding tool Jenny uses. Maybe there is a tutorial on youtube for it?

Bailey65
October 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I love the Kathy Brown Binding tool that Jenny does the tutorial for. I had never binded anything and after watching the tutorial found it really easy to do. My binding came out perfect the first time.

rebeccas-sewing
October 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I've gotten the hang of the binding tool from Jenny's toot! After using it a few times I'm finally at the point where I don't have to refer to the directions. The only problem I see is what do we use when making something really small? I was trying to miter a binding on a potholder and that tool doesn't work on something that small. I need to check out the Fons and Porter tool. I've seen it and it looks smaller. Nope! I guess the only way it can be done on a pot holder might be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgX_gGJYEac

Tslave57
October 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I haven't tried the Fons & Porter tool yet, but am willing to try. I bought The Binding Tool that Jenny uses some time ago, and no matter how many times I do it, it never turns out right, so I ususally wind up with lumpy binding.

BellasQuilts
October 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I use Jenny's and love it.

Cathy F
October 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have the tool Jenny demonstrates and I love it but I'm with Rebecca I would like something for small items. Hmmmm, maybe someone will make a smaller version of it:)

zenkitty
October 27th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I have the binding tool from Fons and Porter and find it confusing, especially if I haven't made a quilt in awhile.

craftychris
October 28th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I've gotten the hang of the binding tool from Jenny's toot! After using it a few times I'm finally at the point where I don't have to refer to the directions. The only problem I see is what do we use when making something really small? I was trying to miter a binding on a potholder and that tool doesn't work on something that small. I need to check out the Fons and Porter tool. I've seen it and it looks smaller. Nope! I guess the only way it can be done on a pot holder might be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgX_gGJYEac

I have tried to use a binding tool that I got in Oz but got myself all muddled up and continued for a while getting myself in all sorts of bother using other methods. THEN my good friend introduced me to the method similar to that shown in the video - and it's BRILLIANT. Also works for smaller items like potholders but you need to allow a lot of room on the side you are joining otherwise the nightmare muddles rear their heads again. I think my binding tool will stay where it is from now on - I like the way in the video - it really is easy.

Panda
October 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have the tool Jenny demonstrates and I love it but I'm with Rebecca I would like something for small items. Hmmmm, maybe someone will make a smaller version of it:)

Hi! Cathy F, I am also a Kathy F. Anyway I thought I would let you know their is a smaller version of the binding tool that Jenny uses in her tutorials, I got both sizes at a quilt show. It was the show in September that was at the expo center in Oaks PA. I don't think I have ever seen it on MSQC.

Kathy

buckeyequilter
October 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I use the binding that I Jenny uses...love it! Going to check out the potholder binding tutorial that Rebecca posted.

jokir44
May 1st, 2013, 02:12 PM
I've only used the F & P tool and it's a breeze. Always before I'd done it without a tool and it usually took me a time or two to get it right. Now it's first time every time.

Sharyn J
May 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
I've used the binding tools from MSQ. I found a tutorial that's even easier and works on all projects, big and small. No tools necessary.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=quilt+binding+joining+ends&view=detail&mid=DA1CF650151C55F31EBBDA1CF650151C55F31EBB&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Sew Perfect
May 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM
It's the same thing basically. I have found the binding tool works much better for me. Any other way, is is difficult for me. I personally think it is work the investment. You can also use Jenny's video to make a quilt or table runner with the binding tool...I'm sure you already knew that, but someone else reading this may not.

Cathy F
May 1st, 2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks Kathy for the info!

buckeyequilter
May 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM
Here's the mini binding tool from M*:

http://missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/11436

aevrard
May 3rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
I have used the Fons & Porter binding tool three times now. It's simple to use as long as I follow the directions as I work. It always surprises me when the binding turns out correctly! I haven't used the one that MSQC sells so I can't really compare them.

rebeccas-sewing
May 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
I love using the one MSQC sells. It took me a few times to remember how to use it but now it's a breeze.