PDA

View Full Version : Help - what can I do?

Poppytree
October 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
A group from my church are visiting a small village on the India/Nepal border to help with building, teaching, medical assistance and supporting this poor community. There is also a small orphanage and I have been asked to make 28-30 pillow cases for the children there using some Aussie style fabrics.

I love the tube pillow tutorial and think this could work but suitable fabrics here cost around $20 a metre so the cost is horrendous (I can buy plain ones in Ikea for $3!)

Ready made ones have a 'flap' to secure the pillow so even sewing on a strip of fabric would not be possible with a machine without undoing the seams and I don't fancy hand-sewing them all.

Any ideas girls and guys?

Quiltlover
October 4th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I thought about your sewing on a strip or band. Don't understand the flap....could you show a picture or do you have one? The $3 price is very tempting. I'd try to use them and add something to them. Maybe buy bright colored ones and then applique onto them, probably on the bands. Machine applique is easy and you could come up with cute kiddie shapes or cut out critters from a printed fabric that had animals, etc. You could use the fusible to adhere the shape then stitch around the edges with your machine, doing a zigzag or blanket stitch. Interested in seeing what you do.
Brenda in Alabama

Winniesfriend
October 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe buy some inexpensive sheets to use as your base material and add some brightly coloured fabric.

Lisaau
October 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I know these kids dont have much but it occured to me what aobut going to the salvos and buying some of their pillowcases they will probably be cheaper and then applique on them.....l know they probably wont ever have had anything brand new ..but it would be cheaper

RiverMomm
October 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Love the fabric! What is the name of it?

HandsOffItsMine
October 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I would by the premade Ikeas - Make 5 to 7" tube bands of the Aussie fabrics and use a decorative stitch to attach them to the premades. No way can you justify the 20 per metre cost for a charity to India - they can use that type of money for clothing/medical something much more significant than a pillowcase. This is India not Europe, USA, Australia - what are they thinking?!?

bkthomas
October 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
They probably think you have a large stash - sounds like it would cost over 600.00 to do - Jane, I sure wish I could help - when do these have to be ready? ....and does it really have to be Aussie fabric? As giving as this Forum is, just a few of us could do 2 or 3, 30 of us could each do 1 - just maybe a certain color or colors - talk to them and explain what the cost would be and get back to us....

Jess1377
October 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I really like what Kathy, Brenda and Ruby said. If you have to get them done, I might buy the ready made pillow cases and applique or sew Aussie print bands on the tops. (I dont understad the flap thingy either you described) Do they need to be Aussie prints? If not, like Kathy said, we could start a group or just have some of us members send some to you if there is time for it and get pillow cases sent to you from all over? If so would the tube pillow case tutorial be a good pattern to follow? I noticed some square pillows in your pic up top which is why I ask.

K. McEuen
October 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I think the first thing I would do would to be to let the church know exactly what it is they are asking of you. If people don't sew they often have no clue what the costs are. Thirty pillowcases at $20.00 to $25.00 each is way too much to ask one person to be responsible for. Even if people from the forum were to help it isn't cost effective to send pillowcases to Australia to go to India. The church would be better off paying fifty cents apiece for them once they got to India. Linens and such are cheap there.

Bubby
October 4th, 2012, 09:48 PM
The cost of the fabric is prohibitive for this project. I would buy the ones you can afford and do some simple applique to add more color. I'm sure you can come up with something creative. Wish I was there to give you a hand. Barb

toggpine
October 5th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Jane,
I have some of the IKEA pillow cases that you are talking about. I love the inner flap that keeps the pillow in side the case.

I was messing with mine and I think you can twist the case well enough for you to sew a strip across the "normal" hemmed end. It would only be on the top side of the case, but it would get some color and "Aussie" fabric on the case. I'd cut the strip a half inch wider and longer, and tuck the edges under 1/4" all around. Butt the finished edges up against the side seams and top stitch it down.
I think that would be the most economical route, and you should be able to whip the rectangle hem strips out fairly quickly.
I can't post photos here with my "vintage" operating system, but if you need some visuals let me know and I'll send you a view via E-mail.
Cathy

Poppytree
October 5th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Jane,
I have some of the IKEA pillow cases that you are talking about. I love the inner flap that keeps the pillow in side the case.

I was messing with mine and I think you can twist the case well enough for you to sew a strip across the "normal" hemmed end. It would only be on the top side of the case, but it would get some color and "Aussie" fabric on the case. I'd cut the strip a half inch wider and longer, and tuck the edges under 1/4" all around. Butt the finished edges up against the side seams and top stitch it down.
I think that would be the most economical route, and you should be able to whip the rectangle hem strips out fairly quickly.
I can't post photos here with my "vintage" operating system, but if you need some visuals let me know and I'll send you a view via E-mail.
Cathy

Thanks - I think this is the best option. All pillows in the UK have this 'flap' (like an envelope) and I hadn't seen cases without it before I saw the tube tutorial! (where they are like a bag) Do you have buttons, zips, press-studs or velcro to keep them closed and hide the white pillow inside or are they just much longer than the actual pillow inside?

Cheap cases here (eg.IKEA) have a narrow flap so I should be able to applique a strip on the fronts OK.

The pillows in the top picture are rectangular - just the angle of the photo makes them look square. Standard size is 48cm x 73cm or 51cm x 76cm (about 20" x 30")

HandsOffItsMine
October 5th, 2012, 03:19 AM
I'm glad Cathy had an actual Ikea sample to work it out for you. My bedroom set pillow cases have the envelope flaps as well and that's how I make my pillow cases and sofa pillows. :)

Unfortunately we have no Ikeas here on Oahu so I can't help you out. Hopefully your church is helping you with the cost on the pillow cases and material purchases or at least some other sponsors 'cause that still is a big commitment in money and time.

Make sure you post some photos of your pillowcases with the Aussie strips on them.

Poppytree
October 5th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Yes, they are giving me some money towards the costs - I've just ordered 4 metres of Aussie fabrics to start me off ($100!) and I will claim for the pillowcases when i get them - hopefully bright red, purple and blue to go with these fabrics

Klasien
October 5th, 2012, 04:14 AM
That is pretty fabric!
But why is fabric so expencive in Australia?

I hope you can get all that work done, this kids will LOVE the colors and the prints!!

Good luck.

bkthomas
October 5th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Whew! Glad you got that figured out! Best of Luck!

Poppytree
October 5th, 2012, 04:50 AM
That is pretty fabric!
But why is fabric so expencive in Australia?

I hope you can get all that work done, this kids will LOVE the colors and the prints!!

Good luck.

TAX! That's why I order most of my stuff from M*QC (I also try to buy some Australian and support my local stores - so many are closing because of internet competition)

26 to do but have got until February to finish them so not too bad! Just need to track down the bright coloured pillowcases now. They particularly wanted something with an Australian theme.

We will be linked to this village for some years as one of our members has family there and various other people are also sponsoring children from the area. We are sending out a team including builders, plumbers, engineers, teachers, medical personel for a month and this will probably be an annual mission event.

craftychris
October 5th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hi Jane - you certainly have a mammoth task there. I was in Spotlight in Wagga Wagga last week and noticed that they had Christmas fat quarters with emus and kangaroos - according to their latest catalogue they are on special for $2.99 instead of $3.99 for a few days. I have to go to Wagga on Monday if you want any of them - I could mail them to you. Good luck with your project. Cheers Chris

Monique
October 5th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I love your fabric.

Lisaau
October 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Jane l was in spotlight today and purchased the latest 'get creative" magazine which is spotlights monthly craft magazine its only 99cents but on the back there is a coupon for $10.....l had a metre of fabric and an embriodery hoop both came to $17 and l got the lot for $7........couldnt hurt to use the coupoin and save some money..just a tip

Quiltlover
October 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Just a USA question...Is Spotlight a store or a town?
Just curious. Don't think I'll ever get to visit there.
Stuck in the states.
Brenda in Alabama

pamipatch
October 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Spotlight (if youre talking Spotlight Australia) is a store, well, a chain of stores...they sell manchester, kitchenware, party supplies, curtain and furnishing fabrics, craft supplies, dress and patchwork fabric...you could compare it to one of your discount chain stores in the states..i used to be a manager at Spotlight, why i have such a ridiculous stash!!!!

bakermom
October 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM
since this is a church sponsored project, could you put a notice in the Sunday newsletter detailing what you need? Maybe a youth group or Sunday school class could make collecting fabric or pillowcases their service project. or do like we do here at Christmas-make a "wishing tree" with tags specifying "set of pillowcases" "1 yard bright cotton fabric" that people could take home and return with the item by a set date. Something that would get many involved and spread out the cost.