PDA

View Full Version : Sewing question but not quilt related

qwerty
October 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I am sewing Baptism robes for my church and would like to line them. I am using 7 oz twill fabric for the robes but it is see through enough I can trace my pattern on the material. I would really appreciate some suggestions as to what to line them with since I am afraid they will be even more see through when they are wet. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Can you line them with swim suit lining? It is made to block "body part shadows" on a white wet swim suit. I found it does give the pure white fabric a slight tan twinge of color. Will they be wearing regular clothing underneath? What about some inexpensive white sheets as an underlining? If they are big long garments, I know they take lots of fabric, I made some robes like that for costumes and they took lots of yards of fabric.

Sandy Navas
October 3rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
There is a fabric made that blocks out light yet is the weight of a fine cotton - not too, too heavy. I know my daughter bought some at JoAnns and made curtains for her bedroom since her hubby works nights and sleeps during the day.

qwerty
October 4th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Thank you for your ideas. The robes are long and look like graduation or choir robes and take about 4-5 yards of fabric. The pattern I'm using is a Butterick choir robe pattern. I believe the intention is for clothes to be worn under them so it may be a non issue but will have to ask.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Or the people could wear a swim suit, since they are going for a little swim!