PDA

View Full Version : My husband's pride and joy...

Genny
October 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM
I know this isn't about sewing or quilting but I feel the need to show how proud I am of my husband. He purchased this "1966 Chevy Impala SS" about 5 years ago. It was yellow, didn't run and had only about 1/2 of its parts in it. It had no seats, no carpet and the headliner was missing. It needed a new motor. He and a friend of ours (thankfully a mechanic) worked on this in their spare time. The second pic is how it looked about 2 weeks ago and the first pic was taken today after it was painted. It still needs some interior work, a headliner and new carpet but I think its gorgeous and as anyone thats ever rode in an older car knows, it rides like a dream.

K. McEuen
October 1st, 2012, 02:01 AM
Nice! Got to love the old muscle cars. As a kid I remember my older brother and all his friends and their 60 something cars. His friend Bill, who we called Hollywood Bill, because he never took his aviator sunglasses off, had an SS. I think it might have been a 69, little bit different body than this one, gorgeous blue with white stripes. My brother had a 67 Mustang. Then a 68 Super Bee, then, then, then. I swear my brother changed cars as often as most people change their underwear.

auntiemern
October 1st, 2012, 02:12 AM
OMG :) Love it. That is my dream ride, lol. Well I do like a 68 Charger too.

bkthomas
October 1st, 2012, 03:14 AM
NICE!!!! Love it!!!

Katja
October 1st, 2012, 03:54 AM
THIS would be my pride an joy, too. It is great! I love those old muscle cars! The sounds are making me shivers down my spine....

lilmouse
October 1st, 2012, 04:07 AM
You should be proud of him....he did good....when it is completely finished you will have to show us some pictures of the interior so we can all drool!

rebeccas-sewing
October 1st, 2012, 05:46 AM
The first car I was able to buy for myself was a Chevy Impala - gold color! I don't know what year it was but it was a used one and I paid$1200. for it. I was so proud to actually own a car. That was back in the 70's. It looked very much like your husband's. They're doing a wonderful job restoring it. I'm sure lots of bonding has happened between the two of them spending all those hours laboring over those "wheels." Looks really cool painted black! Great car for drive-ins and time spent necking in lover's lane. Those were the kind of cars where babies were sometimes made. Oops!!! Hahaha!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM
Boys and ther toys! It is gorgeous! Very beautifully restored! My brother had an Malibu for a Zillion years, he had to wire the floorboards because it was so rusted that he was able through the saw the ground whizzed while driving. He called the thing the Malibu-barge.

Blondie
October 1st, 2012, 06:37 AM
I love it. My hubby loves old cars and would love to be able to have an oldie. Looks like he did a great job. Gosh, hard to think a 66 is considered an older car, doesn't it? Used to be just old Model T's were old. hehehe

quilter.martha
October 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Your DH is doing a great job on that car! I think it's good for men to have a hobby as well as us women, don't you think? Can't wait to see another pic of the interior once it's all finished.

Bubby
October 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM
So nice...! I love the classics!! He did a beautiful job!

pamipatch
October 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM
awesome resto job, terrific!!!

funny, muscle cars and quilting...i'm in australia, i'm a freelance patchwork designer/teacher, its one of my passions...

my other passion???..aussie muscle cars, love them, own them, run a statewide club...

when i work out how to post a picture i'll show you my big fast loud baby...and shes hot pink!!

MRoy
October 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM
This car brings back memories...I took my driver's test in my sister's baby blue Chevy Impala that looked just like this one. I always liked that car!

CrazyMtnLady
October 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM
Nice car! I wish my DH would finish his "projects". He has a kit car that he bought about 4 years ago that is still in boxes and I am sure will never get put together. It will be a cool car to drive to town once it is done...but I'm not holding my breath.

Genny
October 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM
This car brings back memories...I took my driver's test in my sister's baby blue Chevy Impala that looked just like this one. I always liked that car!

At one time this may have been baby blue because when he took off the door panels and took off the leather there was a baby blue leather under it and I told him...wouldn't this car be pretty in baby blue? His words was NOPE, but I bet it would!

MayinJerset
October 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM
My brother Jim has a baby blue 1966 Chevy Impala that he bought 1966, he still owns it and it has all the orginal paint and parts. At first it was the family car but somewhere along the line it became "Baby", only driven on special occassions, never driven by anyone but himself, kept in the garage jacked up to keep the pressure off the tires, engine wiped clean almost daily and highest speed it is driven is 50. He now takes it to car shows around the country and usually wins a prize even though it doesn't have any specail paint jobsor extra features. May in Jersey

Genny
October 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
My brother Jim has a baby blue 1966 Chevy Impala that he bought 1966, he still owns it and it has all the orginal paint and parts. At first it was the family car but somewhere along the line it became "Baby", only driven on special occassions, never driven by anyone but himself, kept in the garage jacked up to keep the pressure off the tires, engine wiped clean almost daily and highest speed it is driven is 50. He now takes it to car shows around the country and usually wins a prize even though it doesn't have any specail paint jobsor extra features. May in Jersey

Oh I'd love to see a pic of it with the Baby Blue color!

pamipatch
October 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM
29362[QUOTE=pamipatch;174434]awesome resto job, terrific!!!

funny, muscle cars and quilting...i'm in australia, i'm a freelance patchwork designer/teacher, its one of my passions...

my other passion???..aussie muscle cars, love them, own them, run a statewide club...

when i work out how to post a picture i'll show you my big fast loud baby...and shes hot pink!![/QUOTE

]...see if this works...

Genny
October 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Oh how beautiful!!! I also love "Hot Pink"!

Jess1377
October 6th, 2012, 11:28 AM
OMG Pamipatch! That is so cool! So what kind of car is that hot pink one? Very sharp looking!

Genny, I love the work your husband has done on his car. It is really cool looking too! But I love the trees in the background of the picture, with the changing colors. Not much to be seen here in OK so that is is pretty neat to see too! :)

MayinJerset
October 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Genny, I'll write and ask him for one as he lives in PA and calling him is dicey as he doesn't have an answering machine. He also doesn't use a computer, too bad he would love to see the photos of your DH's car.
May in Jersey

Genny
October 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Our trees were really pretty the day we took the pics, sadly the pretty leaves are now all over our yard. Once it warms up we'll be getting the mowers out.

pamipatch
October 7th, 2012, 05:02 AM
OMG Pamipatch! That is so cool! So what kind of car is that hot pink one? Very sharp looking!

Genny, I love the work your husband has done on his car. It is really cool looking too! But I love the trees in the background of the picture, with the changing colors. Not much to be seen here in OK so that is is pretty neat to see too! :)

thankyou!!...

she's an aussie ford falcon coupe, 1976 model, she's my fifth, i've owned them since i was 17, BIT of a passion lol...

she's the same car that Eric Bana has, he's had his since he was 15, if you see his movie "love the beast" its about his love for his car...also the same car as Mad Max's...

her name is Trix, and i utterly adore her (even if she is a princess)