PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate that?!

Virginia
September 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Hello girls!
I need to share this.
A friend came over a few days ago, and I showed a gift I was making to my daughter's teacher, I was so excited about that gift. And, this friend says, yes nice, and in a heart beat changed subjects! I know people doesn't have to love patchwork as I do, but I can't help myself feeling frustrated. Don't you hate that?! not having the same enthusiasm back?!
Virginia

quiltingtrish
September 27th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Yes, totally understand that Virginia!
I work at a school and when they ask what I did over the weekend and I say worked on some quilting, they give me that blank look and change the subject. Of course I am excited that I found the time to work on something!

WE all get excited here when you tell us, so - their loss, our gain!

Hugs,

jrchapman
September 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Try telling a bunch of 20 year, male engineering students. They just look at you with a confused look and then go get another beer :icon_rolleyes:

Dragonfly
September 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
:lol: I've experienced this many times, but my alternative is that I tell them I went shooting for the weekend...in a country that is getting to be very anti shooting that is almost as bad as saying I spent the weekend quilting. A little sad as I do both quite well and it's nice to share your achievements and disappointing to not receive a positive response.

pdjewelrylady
September 27th, 2010, 11:00 PM
yep.... show us! we would love to see it!! :)

craftyladysam
September 27th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I totally agree! Some people just aren't interested in anything but themselves. Show us Virginia we would love to see it!!

Texsam
September 28th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Try telling a bunch of 20 year, male engineering students. They just look at you with a confused look and then go get another beer :icon_rolleyes:

My daughter doesn't quilt but she loves to go to quilt shows. When they asked her one time what she did over the weekend and she told them she went to a show they made fun of her and said isn't quilting for old ladies. I have told her about you and some other younger people who quilt. She said not to worry because a lot of them are older than her and still act like high schoolers and she really doesn't care if they laugh or not.

So yea Virginia you show us -we want to see what you make!:icon_bigsmile:

toggpine
September 28th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I shoot & quilt too. I am relatively new at the shooting, but after a few things that have happened here on the farm, I decided that I needed to know how to use the firearms we have. It doesn't do me any good to not know how to, or be afraid of using them when we have a predator in the pasture. People quit asking me what I did over the weekend a long time ago. My answers range from canning, gardening, quilting, splitting firewood, & shoveling manure to castrating & tattooing this year's crop of goat kids. :icon_stunned: The last one really makes the guys stop asking!

The other thing that irks me is careless disregard for my quilted gifts. Some things are meant to be used and abused, and they are built that way. The quilt I made for you is NOT to be thrown on the floor & used as a dog bed or worse. :icon_slap: I guess I would rather know they have no interest in my hobby, than make the mistake of giving them something I lovingly created that they will totally treat like a thrift store rag. :icon_angry:
:icon_calm: I'll get off my soap box now....

jrchapman
September 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
My daughter doesn't quilt but she loves to go to quilt shows.

I took a boyfriend to the quilt museum in York. He really didn't want to go but at the end of the day he said it was the best thing we did all day. Considering we'd gone to his favourite viking museum and the York dungeons I think it won him over. It'll probably be a while before he sits down at a sewing machine but you never know....

Blondie
September 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
The other thing that irks me is careless disregard for my quilted gifts. Some things are meant to be used and abused, and they are built that way. The quilt I made for you is NOT to be thrown on the floor & used as a dog bed or worse. :icon_slap: I guess I would rather know they have no interest in my hobby, than make the mistake of giving them something I lovingly created that they will totally treat like a thrift store rag. :icon_angry:
:icon_calm: I'll get off my soap box now....

Amen to that one; got a giggle about the castration. good for you

hillbilly
September 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm always hounding my poor family for opinions on my latest creations. I am trying so hard to stop hounding them. Of course, since I've created nothing lately...it's made that much easier!

sally
September 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Oh can I relate. I am in law enforcement and well telling the guys your quilted over the weekend they look at you with blank stares and walk away. Now if I told them I went shooting they would be singing my praises. I am a bit of a conundrum. I work in a mostly male enviroment but I am into canning, crafting and domestic stuff. I love doing dishes by hand and hanging laundry on the line Strange huh!:lol::lol:

Virginia
October 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM
I absolutely loved reading all the messages!!! thank you for the support and sharing some of your experience... yeahh to bad for those who aren't sensible enough to appreciate patchwork and doesn't know how great it is to do patchwork! Hope you all have a great weekend and a lot of time to quilt!!!!

janluna
October 1st, 2010, 05:12 PM
I think I want to learn to shoot!!! Any tips ladies?

ginampls
October 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
jan always keep the safety on... take lessons...

sally
October 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM
Jan you are too funny! Do you want to learn hunting shooting or range shooting. I don't hunt and actually would have nothing to do with guns if it wasn't required for my job. Going to a shooting range is alright though. Depends on where you live there may be an indoor range near you and they often give classes.:icon_wave:

bakermom
October 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
I think I want to learn to shoot!!! Any tips ladies?

http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/wito/?SUBSITE=wito

This is a great group. you can learn alot of neat things.

NM Lady
October 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I haven't held a hunting license in years. Traded in the shotgun for a camera. That being said, you need to take a good hunter's safety course or take a handgun course. You can shoot skeet and take out your frustrations on cans if you have a good cliche pit close by. Most of all, if you learn how to shoot, have as much fun hunting, shooting or whatever as you do quilting!!!!!;)

janluna
October 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
Thank you. There are several ranges in our area. I don't think I have the heart to hunt but shooting skeet or at the range would be fun. I'll look into it