PDA

View Full Version : Fiskars vs Olfa rotary cutter 45mm vs 60mm

azillini
September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I'm getting ready to buy my first rotary cutter.....so which is better? Olfa or Fiskars? When do you use 45mm or 60mm? They all work on fleece, right? Hoping to buy 1 or the other to start, then may add a 2nd. I want something easier on my hands & wrists. All opinions will be valuable. Newbie here,
Azillini

auntiemern
September 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
I have both, but only use my Fiskars 45 mm. I like the way it fits in my hand. I have arthritis, so I have to use something that feels good to me. It is easy to grip, and I like the way the blade retracts. I am sure you will get as many answers as you have responses, I think it is just personal preference. Which ever you choose, do not cut over 4 layers of cotton at one time or one layer of fleece. Accuracy will be better, and blades will last longer.

Musical_Starling
September 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
I have three fiskars cutters, all 45mm and the small one that goes with the circle cut ruler (not sure of the name). I think 45mm is more "universal", it will do better with curves or smaller spaces. 60mm is usually only if you're cutting a lot of material or something very thick. As Marilyn said, you'll get many different opinions here as everyone has their favourites and for different reasons.

I will say this though, even though I don't have arthritis, of the three Fiskars that I have (stick, comfort loop, and softouch), the easiest is by far the softouch. Not sure if you can still get them, I don't see them on the Fiskars website, but I find the stick to be hardest on my wrists, the comfort loop is great, but the button can be a little tough sometimes, but the softouch you just squeeze the handle together (it doesn't take much effort) and away you go! I also like that the guard automatically goes back in place once you let go, unlike the other two. I do use the stick more though, but only because I can cut with both hands and I switch back and forth often. Hope that helps :)

pcbatiks
September 22nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi Azillini and welcome to the forum. I have the Olfa 45mm ergonomic cutter. #RTY-2/DX It has the handle that you squeeze to cut and release and it retracts. Less chance of cutting yourself...........the blades or EXTREMELY sharp! Happy quilting!

lilmouse
September 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have the simple olfa brand and I love it...but rotary cutters are very personal...what works for one doesn't neccasarily (sp) work for another.....with fiskars I kept shaving my rulers...lol; with olfa I don't...so it really is personal preference!

GinnyKNC
September 23rd, 2012, 12:39 AM
I have both Olfas or Fiskars. I acutally like the Olfas better because they are sharper.

Poppytree
September 23rd, 2012, 01:18 AM
I love my 45 Olfa - unbelievably sharp and has seen me through 20 projects before the blade needed to be replaced - Great retractable handle so very little change of nasty nicks. (I very rarely cut through more than 3 layers)

brook
September 23rd, 2012, 01:57 AM
I like my Olfa 45mm. I've tried a fiskar once that my friend had and when pressure was put on the blade while cutting, the blade retracted. It may have just been hers but I didn't care for it. : )

K. McEuen
September 23rd, 2012, 02:26 AM
I have always used Fiskars without any issues. I will say that my oldest one is starting to wear out. Like Coleen said, when I put pressure on it to cut, it retracts a lot of the time. I think I've worn the spring out in it. Of course it's over 15 years old too.

KatiesQuiltingCorner
September 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Love my Fiskars 60mm cutter! It is what I use 95% of the time. I have an Olfa 45 but it doesn't get used very much.

Pattycake
October 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I've never used any rotary cutters except Olfa and Gingher. I use the 45 mm the most.

bakermom
October 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have several sizes in both brands. I find myself using the 60mm Fiskars the most. I have CTS and have an easier time cutting with it esp. if i have a lot of cutting to do.