PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the plug..

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Today, it became official, my college career will be officially over come Dec. 2012. Unfortunately, I was almost the last to find out, my department chair found out from me. So, a 30+ year teaching career is going to be over soon. Quilt business, here I come!

Bubby
September 19th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Jean...When one door closes another door opens. You will thrive in a quilt-based business! It's so you!!! We still need to have lunch when you're done with school! Hugs,, Barb

buckeyequilter
September 19th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Are you looking forward to retirement? If so, congrats....if not, I'm sorry.

Good luck with your new venture and I hope you do really well and become famous so we can say "we knew Jean when.....".

heavnli62
September 19th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry that after 30 years it has come to an end. BUT...... on the bright side..... you can now smell the coffee in the am, and know that while you are enjoying that first cup you can plan what quilt you want to work on and have so much joy sharing with all of us. We look foward to sharing all this Quilting fun with you.....:)

EnumclawGramma
September 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Jean...When one door closes another door opens. You will thrive in a quilt-based business! It's so you!!! We still need to have lunch when you're done with school! Hugs,, Barb

Wow, Barb and I are in sync today! I was going to say exactly that! (except for the part about lunch, cuz...well...it's just too far. But someday!)

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I know! I 'm coming to Crawford county Saturday for my friends 50th wedding anniversary, but I don't have much time to spend, have a 70th birthday party at 2 here in St. Louis, then the anniversary party at 5 in Steelville, with a 2 hour drive in between. Crazy day! Are you going to be at the apartments on Sat? Maybe I could swing by and say hello on my way to Steelville.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Wow, Barb and I are in sync today! I was going to say exactly that! (except for the part about lunch, cuz...well...it's just too far. But someday!)

When I come to Oregon next year, I'm coming to Enumclaw, and we'll have lunch then!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Sorry that after 30 years it has come to an end. BUT...... on the bright side..... you can now smell the coffee in the am, and know that while you are enjoying that first cup you can plan what quilt you want to work on and have so much joy sharing with all of us. We look foward to sharing all this Quilting fun with you.....:)
Thanks! Appreciate the kind words. I'm feeling a bit down right now.

CrazyMtnLady
September 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Good luck in all your endeavors. I know your quilting will be better off because of it.

pcbatiks
September 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your teaching position ending but hope that you find a special place in the quilting world.

bkthomas
September 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Big Hugs to you (((((Jean))))) I hope that feeling down will pass soon and be replaced with excitement for what is to come - now maybe you will find time to meet with Marilyn, I know that would be exciting for you both!

kelliedi
September 19th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Jean condolences and CONGRATULATIONS too. I'm excited for you to start your quilting business and another option is maybe to sew customized clothes for hard to fit people..... who knows what is ahead....

HandsOffItsMine
September 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Once the blues go away you'll put a schedule together between your quilting classes at the sewing machine place and your quilting business. You'll have to make sure you put some creative time in there along with "Forum" time, you'll be soooo busy. Hang in there!

middlesis1966
September 19th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Jean there isn't any other words of wisdom that I can add other then what has already been said. Good luck with what is coming up next for you!

rebeccas-sewing
September 19th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Are you happy about it? Will you get a severance package? That sure would be a nice way to say goodbye! I'm sure you're dreaming about all that wonderful free time you'll have to work in your sewing room.

Sandy Navas
September 19th, 2012, 05:54 PM
So sorry for you, Jean - but it is THEIR LOSS and YOUR GAIN! Isn't there a country song "You're going to miss me when I'm gone." You need to play it every time you get a chance and leave messages on all the telephones in the admin offices.

That first day when you wake up and find you don't have to dress for anything other than fun will be your blessed day though.

Hugs!

Cellomom
September 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hi Jean, so sorry the classes were pulled. That was weird that your dept. chair was out of the loop. Politics, they're everywhere. It's hard to say goodbye to the people around you and even the physical campus because they are part of you and your identity. At least you are there for a while longer to get your bearings. I know you'll find your place in the quilting world because after all, you are Jean the Sewing Machine! Things may open up for you like it did for Jenny! If I lived closer to you, I'd attend your classes.

MayinJerset
September 19th, 2012, 06:48 PM
You'll be surprised at the new ideas and paths to follow that are out there just waiting for you, you'll have a blast! May in Jersey

Monique
September 19th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Wishing you all the best, Jean. Need a secretary?

Winniesfriend
September 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I can't imagine what it would be to lose your job after 30 years, you must be devastated even if you did have an inkling that is might happen. You are such a wonderful seamstress I hope you can start up some sort of quilting business, you can always go into business making jelly roll race quilts, the way get them finished you could make a whole pile in a short period of time, and you might be able to teach some more classes....... good luck with your retirement, sending you big hugs.

Genny
September 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Today, it became official, my college career will be officially over come Dec. 2012. Unfortunately, I was almost the last to find out, my department chair found out from me. So, a 30+ year teaching career is going to be over soon. Quilt business, here I come!

Sorry your teaching career is over...BUT...if you're happy about it then all I can say is "HAPPY QUILTING"!!!!!

sewbizzy
September 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM
There will be "new beginnings" for you Jean....you are such an outgoing and caring person...some new venture will come your way and you will excel...I agree with the others on the forum...you will make many, many more quilts!

Jess1377
September 19th, 2012, 07:31 PM
You really are a kind and wonderful person Jean, I do wish you the best in whats next to come. And as it was said above there really isnt anything else I can add.

Debbie MM
September 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wishing you the best , allow yourself to grieve the loss. You will land on your feet.

GrammaBabs
September 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Jean... the best is yet to come,,, it's pretty easy to see that you've prepared for this "just in case" and with your gusto for life,,, it can only get better... from here on in,,, YOU call the shots...It is indeed "their loss"... it usually is in life when one leaves a position they've had for so long.... who will "make the costumes"????? Trust me,,, you will soon wonder "when you had time to work".. that's what we all say here!!!! Big hugs of support from here in MA!!!!!!!!!!!! Babs

toggpine
September 19th, 2012, 07:47 PM
When I come to Oregon next year, I'm coming to Enumclaw, and we'll have lunch then!

That is a roundabout way to Enumclaw, but if you are on I-5 to or from Oregon, let me know. I'll meet you on your way south for a coffee/iced tea!

meemeecyn
September 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Jean, the teaching world will not be the same. Your students have lost a great teacher. As Barb said, a new window will open for you now. Maybe teaching quilting? How wonderful that would be for so many.
Of course you are sad, it is a loss. You'll go through the stages of grieving and come out in the end all the wiser. We forum members love you!
Cynthia

K. McEuen
September 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Knowing you, you will make the best of the situation. You have so many other things going on, once it all sinks in you'll probably not miss the job.

Blondie
September 19th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I know what mixed feelings you must have; I for one would love to pull the plug on my "career". Not yet for me I fear.
You will sew enjoy your second career. You will never let any moss gather around your happy and busy feet.

stitching woman
September 19th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Give yourself time to adjust and you will very quickly. Your new business will be wonderful and you will have much success. Congratulation on your retirement.

SuzyQue
September 19th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I agree with Blondie----so many emotions and thoughts conflicting in your heart and head right now. I am sure given a little time, you will see what a wonderful blessing this might be. You are so talented, you will find just the right place for it soon. Who knows what the future holds? I think I see costuming, creating specialty clothing (for odd sized and/or handicapped people, quilting, more teaching, ( in quilting and sewing), and more time for those grands. Let it sink in................then perhaps you will be rejoicing.

MRoy
September 19th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Best wishes Jean. I understand how you can have mixed feelings about retirement. There are days when I think I'm ready now, and other days when I think I want to stay on awhile.

lilmouse
September 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM
It is a loss and you will grieve....and then you will slowly recover...and you sort of knew it might come to this and you did say earlier that it wasn't the same this year....so taking all of that into consideration I think you will be so busy after December you are going to wonder why it bothered you in the first place.....I am so sorry this is happening to you....but this too shall pass; and after all; you are the Jean sewing machine and you will keep busy because that is who you are! Sending hugs your way and love too

Musical_Starling
September 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM
This is just going to be a new chapter in the book of Jean, the Sewing Queen! And just wait, this may become one of the best things that has ever happened :) I'm sure it will feel very strange and very different at first, but that will quickly fade and you will settle in to your new "normal" and then, who knows what you will accomplish! :D

ChristineB
September 19th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your abrupt retirement. And, as others have said, take the time to grieve, let it sink in and then start making new, and exciting plans. Who knows, maybe it will still be teaching but in a different place and with different students!

carolv
September 19th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Jean, sorry to hear your college career being over, but you are one of those great people that will enter into the next chapter of your life with a big bang. Good luck in all you do and I can't wait to see what it is.

RiverMomm
September 19th, 2012, 11:38 PM
There are turns in our "path of life" which we wouldn't pick for ourselves. Right now it seems that you are being pushed in a direction you were not ready to visit . . . yet. But, in a very short time, you will know this is the correct path for you.

You will always be a teacher. You have taught all of us the joys of jelly rolls. I wouldn't have even considered a jelly roll quilt if you hadn't posted your quilts. Each time you posted, I would think, I really should try that but . . . . Then one day, I did it. Thanks so much for gently pushing this newbie in a new direction.

I would be first in your class if I lived closer. And I will be one of your followers when you post your quilt tutorials on youtube. AND I will be the FIRST to buy your book.

NanaB
September 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Jean, so sorry to hear that your job is ending. It's always hard when it isn't YOUR choice, but someone else's. You will quickly wonder how you had time to work! You have the opportunity to expand your quilting business with teaching and/or quilting for others. And your costuming business is still there. Your friends here on the Forum will be anxious to see the next chapter in Jean the Sewing Machine's story!!! Keep your chin up--we love ya!

Ginny B
September 19th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Oh, Jean, sorry to hear that. I'm sure it will be difficult but just think about all that quilting time. Can't wait to see your creations.

Ginny B

bhaggerty
September 20th, 2012, 01:36 AM
well, I wasn't going to post this until I was done with them, but it sounds like you need a bit of cheering up today!

You are like the Mother Superior of the Forum! You are an inspiration to many of us even though we do not always comment.
I had never made a JRR quilt until I saw yours, now I have made 3 (tops) !
I found and purchased the inexpensive "Stripz" jelly rolls you mentioned on a post for only $12 each! Yeah! (2 of my JRR tops are from that)
When you said you keep all scraps except the corners you cut from the JRR quilts - I said, hmmmm, and dug my corners out of my trash can and decided to try something... and it was so cute I did another. (only could find 2 sets of corners).
I was planning to wait until I was done (only have the tops done - still need to layer, quilt & bind) but here they are.
Made with the corners into 2 inch half square triangle blocks.
Now I will most likely make one with every JRR I do because I love the miniature quilts.
Was going to send one to you as a "BIG THANK YOU" for all you do, but now it will be a "HAPPY RETIREMENT! ENJOY!" instead!
Here are the 2 mini tops - one looks somewhat like birds in the air, the other pinwheels! They measure 10.5 x 14 inches and are bordered by the 1/2 strip you cut off at the beginning which I cut into a 1.25 inch strip. Truly a no waste quilt!
Take your pick!

BellasQuilts
September 20th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Jean, now the real fun begins! Whoo hoo, look out folks, here she comes!

auntiemern
September 20th, 2012, 03:48 AM
So sorry my DF. I know you enjoy teaching, but you really could open your own quilt shop, The next M*QC. Look how far they have come. Just hope you enjoy your retirement, what ever you decide to do.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2012, 06:03 AM
well, I wasn't going to post this until I was done with them, but it sounds like you need a bit of cheering up today!

You are like the Mother Superior of the Forum! You are an inspiration to many of us even though we do not always comment.
I had never made a JRR quilt until I saw yours, now I have made 3 (tops) !
I found and purchased the inexpensive "Stripz" jelly rolls you mentioned on a post for only $12 each! Yeah! (2 of my JRR tops are from that)
When you said you keep all scraps except the corners you cut from the JRR quilts - I said, hmmmm, and dug my corners out of my trash can and decided to try something... and it was so cute I did another. (only could find 2 sets of corners).
I was planning to wait until I was done (only have the tops done - still need to layer, quilt & bind) but here they are.
Made with the corners into 2 inch half square triangle blocks.
Now I will most likely make one with every JRR I do because I love the miniature quilts.
Was going to send one to you as a "BIG THANK YOU" for all you do, but now it will be a "HAPPY RETIREMENT! ENJOY!" instead!
Here are the 2 mini tops - one looks somewhat like birds in the air, the other pinwheels! They measure 10.5 x 14 inches and are bordered by the 1/2 strip you cut off at the beginning which I cut into a 1.25 inch strip. Truly a no waste quilt!
Take your pick!
I have that Stripz jelly roll, I wasn't in love with it but it wa $17 for 50 strips. I made some minijelly roll quilts for placemats and they are so darling. I love your mini half square triangle quilts. They are darling! That Stripz pack really makes up cute.

Mother Superior! That made me bust a gut laughing!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2012, 06:09 AM
You guys are so wonderful! Thank you for all the encouragement! I will reinvent myself and it will probably involve a sewing machine of some sort! I will be glad not to have to grade papers anymore, the bane of every English teacher's existence.

quilter.martha
September 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Jean, I admire your strength and attitude! You are entering a new chapter in your life and I can see how that can be depressing and even a little scary. You are surrounded by a huge group of quilters here who are standing with you and who say YOU GO GIRL. Start that quilting business and see where it takes you!

dwil23
September 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Jean, being new to the forum I had no idea that you were also a full time teacher! I am even more impressed by all you do now. As someone else said "another door will open" and if you are okay with being retired, that's even better - Can't imagine how many quilts you will crank out then.

Wishing you all the best in your next season of life, whatever that may be.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Jean, being new to the forum I had no idea that you were also a full time teacher! I am even more impressed by all you do now. As someone else said "another door will open" and if you are okay with being retired, that's even better - Can't imagine how many quilts you will crank out then.

Wishing you all the best in your next season of life, whatever that may be.Well, for the past 7-1/2 years, I've been a part time teacher, which ends up being about a half time job now (20-25 hrs. per week). They all say "lucky you" when I leave at 1 p.m., but I say "lucky you" on pay day when you get your paycheck that is much bigger than mine! Before that, I was a full time teacher.

bkthomas
September 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Mother Superior - Chuck Norris - What else have you been called?!!! Jelly Roll Queen.....

Divine Daisy
September 20th, 2012, 03:37 PM
just throw some stuff in a case and hop over here for a couple of weeks at Honeysuckle Cottage. We can sew and visit the Bronte Vicarage. We can sneak off and get into mischief once Mr D is back at work............ah , he never tries to stop my mischief anyway so we will just find some and get into it.

auntiemern
September 20th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I truly believe God has other plans for you. You have your long arm now, put it to use to make up for the lost income. You have so many talents, that you really could make $ from. I know you have talked about to doing craft shows. Make up stuff to get ready for the spring ones. Put an ad in the paper offering your quilting services. Heck you can probably get enough orders through your sewing machine guy to keep you busy. What ever you do I know it will be wonderful and fulfilling, that IS God's plan for you. :)

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM
just throw some stuff in a case and hop over here for a couple of weeks at Honeysuckle Cottage. We can sew and visit the Bronte Vicarage. We can sneak off and get into mischief once Mr D is back at work............ah , he never tries to stop my mischief anyway so we will just find some and get into it.Sounds fabulous! I sent an email to some colleagues at our sister campuses today, who at times have not been that supportive, they were very supportive this time. Told them I plan on traveling far and wide, this is #1on my bucket list, Honeysuckle Cottage could be my first adventure. Speaking of Mr. D, how's he doing today?

GrammaBabs
September 20th, 2012, 07:37 PM
bhaggerty: what a wonderful idea!!! Jean you do inspire!!! in word and deed..... look out world... she's about to make you better!!!!