PDA

View Full Version : Paper piecing

Nicole22654
September 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Where can i find some paper piecing either to buy of for free. I want to make a paper pieced quilt for my first "real" quilt!! I have looked but am not finding anything

jrchapman
September 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
There are a whole load of them here: http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BlankPPTemplatesPage.html

and they have a handy tutorial if you need any help. Good luck, I still haven't attempted paper piecing but my mum is halfway through a beautiful quilt doing it.

Mimi Baby Yow
September 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
I would try Carol Doak's website. She has some really nice pp quilts and tutorials.
http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php:icon_razz:

Lola2Ace
September 21st, 2010, 11:24 PM
Here's a link to a nice paper pieced log cabin. It's a tutorial that shows you how to make your own
papers for piecing out of non-fusible interfacing. I have made 2 blocks using it, to donate to a Breast Cancer quilt and I really enjoyed doing them. I have more of the interfacing with my blocks drawn on them and just waiting for me to start some scrap busting.

http://mellyandme.typepad.com/photos/scrappy_cabin_challenge_t/100_0673_00_1.html
Lola

Laura108
September 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
I definitely need more instruction does the paper you are sewing too come off after ? can you wash it away?
Tired and confused ....
Laura

craftyladysam
September 22nd, 2010, 12:40 AM
What is the advantage of using the paper? I don't understand?:icon_hi:

Lola2Ace
September 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
The paper piecing, to my mind anyway, makes it easier to handle fiddly little pieces of fabric, like the scraps used in the log cabin tutorial link I added or triangle pieces that are on the bias. It gives it much more stability. I am sure there are many more reasons for the paper piecing, but they won't come to mind right now!
Laura, if you use paper, and from what I've read a pretty small stitch length, the paper is supposed to tear away easily. The non-fusible interfacing seems like it could be torn away with effort, but it's fine enough that I don't think it would make much difference if it were left on the back of the blocks.
I didn't remove it from the Breast Cancer blocks I submitted. But, now I think I am going to try a few on paper and tear it away.
I actually found it quite relaxing to sit one evening and trace off a bunch of those patterns from the link. The family seemed pleased that I was out there with them instead of in my own little haven I call my sewing room.
Lola

Laura108
September 22nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
The paper piecing, to my mind anyway, makes it easier to handle fiddly little pieces of fabric, like the scraps used in the log cabin tutorial link I added or triangle pieces that are on the bias. It gives it much more stability. I am sure there are many more reasons for the paper piecing, but they won't come to mind right now!
Laura, if you use paper, and from what I've read a pretty small stitch length, the paper is supposed to tear away easily. The non-fusible interfacing seems like it could be torn away with effort, but it's fine enough that I don't think it would make much difference if it were left on the back of the blocks.
I didn't remove it from the Breast Cancer blocks I submitted. But, now I think I am going to try a few on paper and tear it away.
I actually found it quite relaxing to sit one evening and trace off a bunch of those patterns from the link. The family seemed pleased that I was out there with them instead of in my own little haven I call my sewing room.
Lola
Thank you Lola I will definitely watch the video and try it I have to say it does sound interesting...just a little foreign. I know when I do embroidery it does add stability and someone at class had a little glue stick she was using ...looked very calming to do.....Thank you for the explaination :)

craftyladysam
September 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Yes,Thanks Lola! It does look like fun. I've tried applicating and that was really fun!!:D

Lola2Ace
September 22nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Laura, that tutorial at the link is not a video, but the pictures sure do help alot!
I hope they help and give you a better idea of paper piecing than I could explain.
Lola

Blondie
September 27th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I do mostly paper piecing. Still learning here but have to say that it is about the only way I can get true and sharp points. I am math impaired - am not good at cutting the right measurements, etc. Now, for someone who is not anal (like me) that is mostly not a problem. But when you want to make something bigger than a coaster, it can be an issue.

Here is one video that may help - it is broken up into a few parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYS1hzPX1o

And yes, quilters cache has some great paper piece patterns for free. Love to go and browse there.

And after much trial, I have decided to print my patterns like this:

I purchase a scribble pad at a dollar store. I measure it to the 8 x 11 1/2 or whatever the measurement is of printer paper. I cut the pad up and then slowly feed it through my printer. This paper is a wee bit thicker than computer paper and will tear off much easier than the usual copy paper.

Blondie
September 27th, 2010, 06:53 AM
and I should also add that there are papers and foundation materials created just for paper or foundation piecing. I am just too tight on a budget to spend for that. You know the old saying, necessity is the mother of invention.

Dragonfly
September 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM
In fact what you should be looking for is unbonded paper, which a lot of the cheaper papers are. If you look at the normal printer paper it will probably say somewhere that it is bonded paper, this makes it harder to tear, the bonding process strengthens paper.

hillbilly
September 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I like to paper piece. It is really my favorite way to quilt. Here are my two favorite sites:

http://www.equiltpatterns.com/

http://www.paperpanache.com/

Blondie
September 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks Lynn, have never thought of that. I likes my scrap pad - it is thinner than construction paper but tears like it.

Thanks hillbilly for some great sites.