PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Good News Story ??!!

pcbatiks
September 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone, I posted a good news story from our area yesterday.......and I just read the one JanLuna posted......it got me thinking that most of us probably have a "good story" of something that has been done for us or our families. Maybe we could all share one with each other as an encouragement to forum friends that are going through a rough time. This is my "good news" story.

Seventeen years ago my DH & I decided we needed to paint our house.....so we started the long process of scraping layers of old paint (by hand) to prepare for painting. We worked on this around our jobs so it was going to take awhile. During that time my DH was diagnosed with cancer & needed to start treatment. He was not feeling sick....but we knew the house painting would have to wait so the treatments could start. A friend/co-worker of his told him not to worry about it. This friend organized a bunch of my husbands co-workers to come and finish the scraping and painting for us. When my DH told me this I told him, that's wonderful.......my next thought was...I need to feed everyone....what should I fix. Later that day we were told not to worry about food....another co-worker was bringing a BBQ pit and would cook burgers for everyone. It was a huge relief to me! We were able to help with the painting some too....but with all the extra help it allowed us the time to make arrangements and get ready for DH's treatments. I remember the first day they started showing up to help...I was helping scrape the house and I would teary eyed every time someone else turned in the driveway! It meant so much to us to have that burden taken care of by people that cared about my husband!

What is your "good story"....:icon_bigsmile:

Sandy Navas
September 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I see no way I can top your story. Thanks for sharing!!

Swedish leo
September 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I donīt know if it qualife but when i was about 7 or 8 years old i used to pick flower from the counties flowerbed and go look for elderly women and give them the flowers beacuse i thought they needed it. I like to think i made someones day.

lilmouse
September 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
When our house burned down...back in the 90's....before I was widowed the first time - so many of our neighbors offered us a home the Red Cross left...said we didn't need them at all....another neighbor was making coffee and bringing it to the firefighters, all this in wind chill of -70 degrees below zero....also my local church raised over a $1000.00 for us with a membership of only a little over 200 souls....that's my good news story...I probably have others but can't recall right now!

twnkeyes
September 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM
This is a feel good story but it seems a bit minor compared to the ones I've read. I want to share it anyway. When my youngest daughter was a senior in high school, I was a single mom of 3 (one in college). She was voted football homecoming queen, we were thrilled but I stayed up nights trying to figure out how on earth I was going to afford all the things that go with being "queen". At a football game prior to "the big one" the husband of a friend of mine came up to me and handed me an envelope. He said, "Don't ask, I'm just the messenger". A collection was taken up so my daughter's homecoming ceremony could be all she dreamed it would be. I was overwhelmed!!! It showed me how much my daughter was loved as a student, football manager and friend. It gave me such a wonderful feeling. BTW, she married "the king" and they are expecting their first baby next month!

Musical_Starling
September 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Beautiful stories ladies, all of them! :) I don't really have any stories I can think of, we've always pulled together to help others in need, so there's not one story that sticks out in my mind because it's just such a common thing from my childhood. But there was a news story from the olympics that comes to mind and always makes me smile, it was a local boy who didn't like the rules at the Olympics, so he tried to change them :)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/15/newfoundland-boy-offers-his-medal-to-disqualified-mens-olympic-relay-team/

pcbatiks
September 13th, 2012, 06:26 PM
These are such great stories.......you all have put a smile on my face! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

auntiemern
September 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
One that comes to mind is several years old. DH and I were not working around Christmas time. He was laid off and I was between jobs. We managed to get the kids a few things for Christmas, but didn't have money for a tree. This house has never seen an artificial one, lol. Any way a few days before Christmas my Sis and her BF, went to a little place by my parents, and bought the last real tree they had. It was about 4' tall and crooked as all get out. We put it on top of a round table we had and had to prop the stand up with phone books so it would look straight. I cried like a baby when she showed up with it. My life has been blessed with many feel good stories, but this is one that stands out in my mind every time the holidays roll around.

RFREE
September 13th, 2012, 09:42 PM
My good news story is recently when I took Brandon his quilts his mom was showing me an arm device that she wanted for Brandon(so he could eat independently) but it was wayyyy to expensive.$400.00 to be exact.So I took a picture with DD phone, showed it to my BIL.(Jean you have met Paul) he started working on one for Brandon and within 2 weeks he had made one exactly like what was in the book they were looking at but couldn't afford. Paul took it to Brandon and he has been using it everyday since!! NO CHARGE!! I love it when a plan comes together!!

janluna
September 13th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I have a lot of stories, things people have done for us, when our house burned down. The things that people have done for my Emily. People can be so amazing! The quilts and gifts that you all sent for my DGD's. I have had so many blessings over the years. And hopefully, we have been a blessing to others as well. Thank you. I love you all. Hugs, Jan L.

Debbie MM
September 13th, 2012, 11:25 PM
My good story occurred while I was in college. I was putting myself through college and as with most college students it was a struggle. I had met this guy and we became just friends. He knew I was putting myself through school and was working two jobs. One day after I got back to school in the mail came this envelope with money in it with no name attached just the address. When I came home and went to thank him he denied he had done it but I knew it came from him. So in honor of the act I pass it on to another college student.

CrazyMtnLady
September 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM
When my last husband was killed in a train derailment (he was the conductor), the next morning I had lots of friends coming to the house. We had had an ice storm and our road as well as my driveway were in an awful state. I looked out my kitchen window and there was a friend with a bucket of salt, salting my driveway, while another friend was using his truck and salting the road. They didn't even come to the house for me to thank them.

SuzyQue
September 14th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Beautiful, feel great stories! Thanks for making me smile! There is still good in this world!

brook
September 14th, 2012, 02:29 AM
The story that comes to mind is when I was looking to go to Azusa Pacific College. (Christian college) I picked up all the stuff to register for it, and then after studying it for awhile I realized that I did not qualify for any grants, loans or anything else. Disappointed I tucked all of the catalogs away and told God that if He wanted me to go He was going to need to make it happen. I then went into the kitchen, where my mom was, and she turned and said, "Oh, by the way, your grandparents said that they would pay fir your 1st year at APC if you want to go." I was so amazed and excited to see what God did! I went there and met my future husband on the first day...and I couldn't have been more blessed! : )

mrswindy4
September 14th, 2012, 03:45 AM
It was just a few weeks before Christmas, in 1993. I had 2 boys I was raising alone after their father died 2 years earlier. My friend was also a single mother of 2 after her divorce. Times were tough, budgets were tight. My friends mother insisted we all go out for dinner at Pizza Hut, and she would pay for it...as an early present. We had a great time, despite the spilled pop, and the pepperoni fight between the kids. An older lady, in her 70's at least, was sitting alone in a booth next to our table. We began to include her in our conversations (My friend and I both worked at the same nursing home, so it was only natural for us to encourage conversation with elderly people) We all laughed, sometimes so hard, we cried....it was a great night!
The lady left after her grandson came to pick her up. As we were trying to get coats and gloves on the kids, the waitress came and told us that our bill had been paid for by the lady, and that we were to use the money we would have spent on the pizza to buy each one of the kids a present from "Mrs. Claus" . We never did find out her name, she only referred to herself as Mrs. Claus.
That evening meant so much to both my friend and I, that we made a promise that every year, right before Christmas, we were to treat someone to something. Didnt have to be extravagant, just something that was unexpected, and within our budget. The following year, times were still tight...I only bought a donut and cup of coffee for an elderly gentleman in line at the gas station one morning. Once it was a candy bar for a little girl, then socks for a classmate of my son's who wore only shoes in the snow. A
few years later, I was better off financially, I bought Christmas presents for 2 children, who's mother lost her job after taking off work to be with her husband who had been badly burnt in a car accident and was currently residing in the rehab unit of the nursing home I worked at. When another nurse found out what I was doing, she pitched in and took up a collection for the family so along with the presents for the children, we were able to leave a sizeable amount of money to help with the bills. Brent asked for my home address so he could pay me back when he could. I wouldnt give it to him, just told him to "Pay It Forward"
The following year, after Brent was released and able to go back to work and his wife returned to work, I ran into them at the store. They were buying toys to donate to the local ABATE club that hosted Christmas parties for under-privledged children. That was the BEST thank you I could have ever received!!

I think about that little lady at Pizza Hut every year...and how her one act of kindness toward strangers has brought happiness to so many others over the years.
So, the moral of my good news story is to PAY IT FORWARD!! Even something as small as a candy bar can bring cheer to someone, and something they will always remember. A random act of kindness has a way of snowballing!!

CrazyMtnLady
September 14th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Mary, great story. DH and I have always said, "If you give it away, it will come back to you tenfold". We always try to help someone out that is down and out also. We were driving down the road in a strange town and saw an elderly gentlemen with a sign asking for help. We turned around and gave the man what we could spare, which I think at the time was only $5 or $10. But each time we have given to someone, something good has happened for us. Pay if Forward is a wonderful thing.

Sandy Navas
September 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
My good news story is recently when I took Brandon his quilts his mom was showing me an arm device that she wanted for Brandon(so he could eat independently) but it was wayyyy to expensive.$400.00 to be exact.So I took a picture with DD phone, showed it to my BIL.(Jean you have met Paul) he started working on one for Brandon and within 2 weeks he had made one exactly like what was in the book they were looking at but couldn't afford. Paul took it to Brandon and he has been using it everyday since!! NO CHARGE!! I love it when a plan comes together!!

Rhonda, that literally thrills me to no end. What a wonderful thing Paul has done.

bkthomas
September 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
These are ALL such great stories - If you think that yours "wasn't much" you are wrong, they are all very very good!!!

The 1st Christmas after my husband passed (1997) my daughter Melissa and I went and bought a real tree - we thought it
looked great at the lot but when we got it home it looked more like a Charlie Brown tree. Then after we got it all decked out
in blue and silver it looked amazing - Melissa still has all of those decorations!

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I have to say it again........love all of these stories you all are sharing! A little hard to read sometimes with watery eyes.......but they are "happy restore your faith in people" tears! Thanks for making my day!

auntiemern
September 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I love your story. I am a firm believer in paying it forward. Every year at Christmas I pick a couple names off the tree at WM and get the kids on the card a few things. So my grand kids might not get one more thing. They don't NEED it, others do. If everyone payed it forward, what a wonderful world this would be.
It was just a few weeks before Christmas, in 1993. I had 2 boys I was raising alone after their father died 2 years earlier. My friend was also a single mother of 2 after her divorce. Times were tough, budgets were tight. My friends mother insisted we all go out for dinner at Pizza Hut, and she would pay for it...as an early present. We had a great time, despite the spilled pop, and the pepperoni fight between the kids. An older lady, in her 70's at least, was sitting alone in a booth next to our table. We began to include her in our conversations (My friend and I both worked at the same nursing home, so it was only natural for us to encourage conversation with elderly people) We all laughed, sometimes so hard, we cried....it was a great night!
The lady left after her grandson came to pick her up. As we were trying to get coats and gloves on the kids, the waitress came and told us that our bill had been paid for by the lady, and that we were to use the money we would have spent on the pizza to buy each one of the kids a present from "Mrs. Claus" . We never did find out her name, she only referred to herself as Mrs. Claus.
That evening meant so much to both my friend and I, that we made a promise that every year, right before Christmas, we were to treat someone to something. Didnt have to be extravagant, just something that was unexpected, and within our budget. The following year, times were still tight...I only bought a donut and cup of coffee for an elderly gentleman in line at the gas station one morning. Once it was a candy bar for a little girl, then socks for a classmate of my son's who wore only shoes in the snow. A
few years later, I was better off financially, I bought Christmas presents for 2 children, who's mother lost her job after taking off work to be with her husband who had been badly burnt in a car accident and was currently residing in the rehab unit of the nursing home I worked at. When another nurse found out what I was doing, she pitched in and took up a collection for the family so along with the presents for the children, we were able to leave a sizeable amount of money to help with the bills. Brent asked for my home address so he could pay me back when he could. I wouldnt give it to him, just told him to "Pay It Forward"
The following year, after Brent was released and able to go back to work and his wife returned to work, I ran into them at the store. They were buying toys to donate to the local ABATE club that hosted Christmas parties for under-privledged children. That was the BEST thank you I could have ever received!!

I think about that little lady at Pizza Hut every year...and how her one act of kindness toward strangers has brought happiness to so many others over the years.
So, the moral of my good news story is to PAY IT FORWARD!! Even something as small as a candy bar can bring cheer to someone, and something they will always remember. A random act of kindness has a way of snowballing!!

Lonna
September 14th, 2012, 03:53 PM
What wonderful stories. Mine is just from two days ago. DH Wayne has decided to give some more chemo a try as his tumor is growing it is putting a lot of pressure on his chest. Well his first treatment in this go round was this past Monday so the first day and the next were not to bad but by Wednesday he was really feeling bad. So he was having a bad day and I was having a really bad day with work and going to court. All I could think of was coming home and fixing me a good strong drink (I am not much of a drinker anymore but sure did want one this night) and crawling into bed. But instead when I walked in the door there on my end table sat a box that had come in the mail. Now I was not expecting anything hadn't ordered anything beside this was a Cherrios Box. Now inside this box was the most beautiful lap quilt that was made with a lot of love and prayers and it was for my dear Wayne. Our own dear Blondie had hand quilted this wonderful lap quilt for Wayne. He was just beside himself as he very rarely recieves a gift, if it is it is from a family member.
We would like to thank you Blondie and all you extemely lovely ladies for all your prayers and love. So in fact Wayne did recieve another gift from a family member as I feel everyone of you are a member of my family. Love and Blessings to each of you.

Sandy Navas
September 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
What wonderful stories. Mine is just from two days ago. DH Wayne has decided to give some more chemo a try as his tumor is growing it is putting a lot of pressure on his chest. Well his first treatment in this go round was this past Monday so the first day and the next were not to bad but by Wednesday he was really feeling bad. So he was having a bad day and I was having a really bad day with work and going to court. All I could think of was coming home and fixing me a good strong drink (I am not much of a drinker anymore but sure did want one this night) and crawling into bed. But instead when I walked in the door there on my end table sat a box that had come in the mail. Now I was not expecting anything hadn't ordered anything beside this was a Cherrios Box. Now inside this box was the most beautiful lap quilt that was made with a lot of love and prayers and it was for my dear Wayne. Our own dear Blondie had hand quilted this wonderful lap quilt for Wayne. He was just beside himself as he very rarely recieves a gift, if it is it is from a family member.
We would like to thank you Blondie and all you extemely lovely ladies for all your prayers and love. So in fact Wayne did recieve another gift from a family member as I feel everyone of you are a member of my family. Love and Blessings to each of you.

Now the secret is out and even WAYNE knows why we all love BLONDIE so very much.

Lonna
September 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Boy now we know that Wayne is one lucky guy today there was this tube in my mailbox. Wayne calls me at work and wants to know what I ordered told him nothing. He looks again and sees that it is addressed to Lonna and Wayne so told him to open it and see what it was. Pam you made one Saints fan a very happy man today. Thank you so much for the poster from when the Saints won the Super Bowl you really made Waynes day. I really don't know how or the words to thank you all for your love and kindness. All I can say is I thank the Good Lord when he lead me to all you super Ladies. Thank you.

Musical_Starling
September 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
This thread really made me smile today. Between seeing Sandy and Ewenice and reading all of these stories, my heart is full :) It's nice to know there are still a few good souls out there!

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Boy now we know that Wayne is one lucky guy today there was this tube in my mailbox. Wayne calls me at work and wants to know what I ordered told him nothing. He looks again and sees that it is addressed to Lonna and Wayne so told him to open it and see what it was. Pam you made one Saints fan a very happy man today. Thank you so much for the poster from when the Saints won the Super Bowl you really made Waynes day. I really don't know how or the words to thank you all for your love and kindness. All I can say is I thank the Good Lord when he lead me to all you super Ladies. Thank you.

Lonna, From me & my Saints fan to you & your Saints fan.........we are so glad Wayne liked the poster!

Sandy Navas
September 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Lonna, From me & my Saints fan to you & your Saints fan.........we are so glad Wayne liked the poster!

Pam you make your own good news stories!! How great!!

pcbatiks
March 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Bumping this to the top for our newer members to see.......... :)

Marmar
March 19th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Tears first, then happiness! I live in a very small town. A year or so ago, there was a local resident who was KIA in Afghanistan. He was not only an armed services member (Army I believe) but he was also a volunteer for the local FD. The hearse and procession came through our town. The time of the procession was announced locally ahead of time. I swear there must have been more than 5000 people lining the road either waving American flags hands over hearts and/or saluting. Also there were Patriot Guard, Honor Guard, several motorcycle brigades, etc. The local FD sent several trucks to line the route, but most touching were the 2 ladder trucks on either side of the road with ladders extended and an American flag strung across them while the procession passed under. OK, that’s the tears in my eyes to this day part. The pay it forward part came when I stopped at the local convenience store after the procession and there were several members of the Honor Guard there buying waters, sodas, snacks, etc. I stood back and let them check out ahead of me (I was in no hurry but they had to travel with the procession) until the last one. I paid for his purchase. He politely said ‘You don’t have to do that, M’aam’. I said ‘My treat’. Just one last note, my DH, God (and I) love him, whenever he sees an armed forces person in uniform will always without fail go up to them and shake their hand and say ‘Thank you for your service!’ That’s always good news!

Evilynn
March 20th, 2013, 05:38 AM
My good story is around 2 years old.
I was living alone in Germany, Berlin for 5 years already. I was very lonely, too. I didn't have any friends, just a neighbour who occasionally stopped to speak a few words with me. All my co-workers ignored me, and I was working in a callcenter. The pay was very bad and I couldn't afford my living without getting extra money from the state. So I was basically speaking every day to strangers a lot, but never had a private conversationw ith anybody but my mother from time to time. The only thing I had for just myself was the internet. I was already for quite a while on Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and had an own channel there, some idlers there being already for the time I had the channels. So was a guy who called himself "Jahe". We were chatting from time to time and one evening, he was not very sober, he suggested we should meet up. Since he lived in Finland, I had no way to afford the journey but he said he had taken care of that already.
When I met him (his real name is Juha) at the airport, I fell instantly in love with him. I have never felt anything like this before - it was the strongest feeling that I ever felt. It was as if I was waiting for him my whole life - it was really weird. I had planned to stay one week in Finland, but you know what? I never left. It all just fitted, I had moved out my flat 1 week earlier, my old stuff was given away anyway because I was planning to move back to my parents, and .. well now when I look back, it just looks as if everything was planned for me by a higher power. Everything just went so smoothly, there was no effort in anything.
I strongly believe that we were waiting for each other. His mother said that before he met me, he was a mess himself. She thanked me many times for "setting her son straight" but all I did was coming to Finland. Actually he SAVED me! I never want to go back to being so unhappy as I was.

So yes, that was my happy story. The happy endings name is Janna, by the way, as some of you know ;)

rebeccas-sewing
March 20th, 2013, 06:08 AM
We just gave a car to our friends' son. He's had a rough time figuring out life. His parents don't have much money, but they try to help him when they can. When I was home I mentioned to them that we wanted to get rid of our '99 Jetta. A short time later they asked about buying the car for their son. They wanted to pay us. Joe told them they should go ahead and fix a few problems with the car and told them we wouldn't accept payment. We felt really good about helping them out.

Mpyles
March 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM
That makes me teary eyed hearing it!

MayinJerset
March 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I donīt know if it qualife but when i was about 7 or 8 years old i used to pick flower from the counties flowerbed and go look for elderly women and give them the flowers beacuse i thought they needed it. I like to think i made someones day.

I can't thinik of a story to tell right now but leo's posting reminded me of something that happened years ago. A neighbor told me that her 6 yr. old daughter brought her a little flower everyday and said I love you. When the neighbor showed my the vase with some of the flowers I realized that they were from my garden. I didn't tell the mother and turned the other way whenever the little girl came to pick another flower for her mom.

debinmalaga
March 20th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I have been loving all your stories and had to wipe away a tear more than once. My feel good story is this: Our 10 year old St. Bernard was diagnosed with an ascending uterine infection - deadly unless treated, treatment was "easy" (get her fixed) but very expensive - $1,500.00 due to her age and size (we adopted her as an adult, and the age/size reason was why we had never had her fixed!). At the time we were selling our business, had a daughter in college, and various other reasons we couldn't justify spending that much money on an elderly dog. Before we could even start talking about dreaded alternatives, my vet said "let me see what I can do". She found an animal shelter in nearby Delaware that would host the surgery for only $250!! I was so grateful I cried... and then, as if I wasn't already grateful enough, come surgery day, who walks in to perform it but my vet, on her day off from her job! The only reason the shelter hosted us that cheaply was if SHE did the surgery, and she hadn't told us because she didn't want us feeling bad! Also, she had thrown her back out, so they let me come back and help lift Tasha onto the the table. So many lovely and touching parts of this story. Now that our finances are in a stable state once more animal rescues and hospitals always get my attention in charitable support, as I'll never forget how my vet and that shelter helped our Tasha.

pcbatiks
March 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Deb........I would have cried too.........I love dogs! That's a very touching story.

May in Jersey..........your story of the neighbor girl is too cute.

KathieB
March 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your touching stories! They're my kind of favorite reading even though I also get very teary-eyed.