PDA

View Full Version : Yucky!

Musical_Starling
September 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I hate hurricanes, they're so yucky! We're getting smacked by Leslie tomorrow, and she may stay a hurricane or may be a tropical storm. But since she's so huge (around 800km) we're going to start seeing some of it tonight ahead of her making landfall tomorrow. So I'm off to gather some supplies to make sure I don't starve if the power goes out lol We live on top of a big hill, so flooding isn't a worry (thankfully!), but this is our first big hurricane since moving into our new house so we're trying to prepare for the worst! Cell phones are charged, flashlights are working with spare batteries, and we have some propane if we need to cook anything :) We're not supposed to see too much rain on this end of the province, but west of us may be seeing up to 150mm. Yuck! But what we'll lack in rain we'll make up for in winds, up to 120km/h. Double yuck! We're under a wind warning, a tropical storm warning, and a hurricane watch. Did I say yuck yet? lol

So if I'm quiet for a couple of days, no worries. I'm probably sitting here in the dark spittering and sputtering because I can't read anything new on the forum :icon_angry: lol

mommadeb
September 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hope you ride this out safely. I didn't know you could get a hurricane that far north. Course, that would explain the stormy windy weather we are getting now.

cyndiofthevortex
September 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I hope you and yours and your home all stay safe. Keep in touch with us often to let us know how you're doing. If you can, that is!

Musical_Starling
September 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Deb: Usually they're tropical storms when they reach us, but a few remain hurricanes. In the case of Leslie, last I heard she's a tropical storm right now but she'll probably be a hurricane by the time she hits because we'll be the first time she hits land. Michael is also coming up too, but Leslie is keeping him offshore and HOPEFULLY we won't see any of his effects. We had a bad one two years ago, Igor, and it actually put us into a state of emergency. Some communities are only just now coming back from Igor, so Leslie might just do them in :(

Cyndi: I'll be back and forth, as always :) If we lose power (which may be the worst we face) then I may not be back for a bit, but as long as I have electricity then I'll be popping in every now and again with an update. Right now it's the calm before the storm, so I'm off to face another storm, the grocery store! lol

Madeforyouinma11
September 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Stay safe! I hope it doesn't get too bad. Keep us posted when/if you can. I have to say, it might be a scarier experience at the grocery store! Good Luck!

lilmouse
September 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Good Luck...keeping you in prayer!

Margok
September 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Good luck. Leslie is traveling faster than I realized. Last time I looked it was off the coast of Sout Carolina. You sound like you have prepared will. Let us know how you and your area fares.

Winniesfriend
September 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hope you and every one else stays safe. I cant image waiting for a hurricane to arrive.

sewmuchjan
September 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Stay safe Dee, hope things don't blow away, and you and yours make it though the YUCKY!!

Hugs, Prayers, and Blessings,
Jan G.

janluna
September 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Saying prayers for your safety! Actually, for Newfoundland's residents, one and all. Batten down the hatches and keep your head down! Hugs, Jan L.

Lisaau
September 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Isnt newfoundland / canada cold?????.........how does a tropical storm , hurricane (we call them cyclones in Australia) hit land when the water is cold....I hope everyone will be ok

New York Sue
September 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Sounds like you're well prepared. I'm sure you've secured everything not nailed down.
I remember a comic doing a whole stand-up comedy segment on filming newscasters standing ouside in extreme weather situations.
"It's not that the winds a'blowin, it's WHAT the winds a'blowin....
Stay safe, Dee. I'll be thinking of you.

Ginny B
September 10th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Dee, hope Leslie isn't too bad up there. Stay safe. Check in when you can.

Ginny B

Musical_Starling
September 10th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks ladies :) You're all so sweet!! Well, thankfully our basement is undeveloped because it's right now storing all of our hoses and lawn mower! But I must say, I think the worst part may have been the grocery store... I thought I was going to have to start running people over with the cart lol

And Lisa, you're right in thinking that Canada gets fairly cold, but Newfoundland is actually pretty mild. It's usually around -10C in the winter and usually 25C in the summer. Right now it's still 17C and it's around 11:30PM.

Updates have given us some good news and some bad news. Good news? Leslie will hit as a tropical storm, not a hurricane. Bad news? Winds sustained at about 90km/h, gusting up to 150km/h with up to 60mm of rain :icon_scared: So if any of you UK ladies see me and The Giant and the two pussers flying by, cast out a net will ya? lol The storm is about 800km in diameter, which is about the size of our entire island. I may be doing a little of this tomorrow: :icon_mooooh:

We're in for a bit of yucky, because it's merging with a front that has already washed out roads on the west coast, and the west coast is expecting another 100mm+, maybe even 200mm last I heard. Yuck!

But our little "rock" is prepared as best we can be, and at this point it's out of our hands and we just have to trust God and Mother Nature! I live just outside the capital city, so I'm not overly worried, and I have two grocery stores in walking distance in case of any road closures. But right now we're all keeping an eye on the rest of the island, and hoping and praying that no lives are lost this time and any damage is minimal. Only time will tell I guess!

nurrsey
September 11th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Will be thinking of you Dee as you ride out the storm....be safe!

SuzyQue
September 11th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Prayers said for your safety. I hope you can keep in touch and keep electricity so that you will be able to sew. Perhaps that can take your mind off the storm.

Monique
September 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Isnt newfoundland / canada cold?????.........how does a tropical storm , hurricane (we call them cyclones in Australia) hit land when the water is cold....I hope everyone will be ok

It's not always COLD in Canada. It's only cold in the winter. LOL!! We have had a very hot summer here, in the 30's most of the time.

Monique
September 11th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Stay safe Dee. I will be thinking of you. Funny, my hubby's name is Leslie. It's all his fault! ;)

carolv
September 11th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Stay safe and good luck. Prayer's from here.

Lisaau
September 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
please stay safe dee.....

but cyclones (hurricanes) are fed by tropical conditions...thats why l asked because they require the warm waters and moisture to fuel them and keep them going.....l think its totally strange for one tobe occuring so far north away from tropical conditions...very strange......l looked on google earth and it's currently 16 degrees celsius (60 degress farenheit )in new foundland thats not hot enough

Musical_Starling
September 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Well, there was one casualty... My garbage bin! lol Lots of lines and trees down, just getting power back, but overall everything is good :) A few road closures, lots of people still without power, and a bunch of structural damage, but the weather has greatly improved and so far so good. As far as I know, no casualties this time, so that's great news :) The roof did blow off of the apartment complex where The Giant and I first met though, so needless to say I'm glad we don't live there anymore! lol

Monique: Your hubby is in trouble if that's the case lol It's funny, all of the news anchors have been saying "she" but I thought it weird because Leslie can be male or female

Lisa: We actually get hurricanes pretty regularly, usually a couple a year. Most are tropical storms/depressions when they get here, but usually every few years a full on hurricane will survive and make it to us. So I guess nobody told the hurricanes that it's too cold here for them lol

Lonna
September 11th, 2012, 09:42 PM
So glad you made out ok with the storm and had no damage. I think the waiting is worst then the storm at times. I know when waiting for Isaac to hit it was driving me up the wall my outlet was in my sewing room. Once again so glad you made it through safe and sound.

New York Sue
September 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM
So glad you didn't receive a major hit, other than your garbage bin!
I earlier told my DH that I had to check in on my friend from Newfoundland. Puzzled look, than the eyes roll...'Oh, one of your forum buddies'....
He just asked how you faired.
He's a keeper!

CrazyMtnLady
September 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Prayers to keep you safe.

Musical_Starling
September 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Lonna: I agree! I hate the waiting! I was still up at 5AM and it hadn't hit yet and I kept thinking "I wish you'd start already!" lol I was able to watch it on the radar online too and could see it creeping closer and closer.

Sue: Definitely a keeper! lol The Giant always hears about "The Sewing Ladies" and knows who I'm talking about, and I'll say "Well, one of the sewing ladies said/did this..." and he pretends to be interested lol It's true that people you've never met can feel like close friends because all day I've been worried sick. The Giant and I are big wrestling fans, and Jerry Lawler (a commentator) suffered a heart attack on air last night while we were watching :( So all day I've been waiting to get the power back to hear how he's doing and I barely even slept I was so worried. And I thought my "smart" phone would be able to get me online in a pinch during a power outage, but YUCKY Leslie took out the cell networks too so my STUPID phone didn't work! I've never met the man, but after watching him on screen for so many years he feels like a good friend! I thought I was going to have to walk to Montreal to get a status update! lol