PDA

View Full Version : Just a 'few' left .....

Lady T
September 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM
This year our charm of hummingbirds was really spectacular!! We had approx 300 birds!
and Boy! did we go through the sugar - we were making 2.25 gallons of sugar water a day
Most of our hummers are gone now, they've headed south for the winter.
But we still have a few remaining.....

Did I say "few" ....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bya320I5EJA&feature=youtu.be

pcbatiks
September 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Wow, that's a lot of hummingbirds........they are fun to watch!

Winniesfriend
September 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
How wonderful, we dont have hummingbirds down under.

madampolo
September 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM
That is amazing! One year we had about 30, but since then we have only had a handful. I saw 2 just a few minutes ago. More should be coming down from the north in the next few weeks. I have three feeders.

madampolo
September 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
How wonderful, we dont have hummingbirds down under.

That's because hummingbirds can't fly upside down!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
And I was happy with a half dozen! That is amazing!

HandsOffItsMine
September 8th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing!

bkthomas
September 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Wow - That must have been fun!!

Sandy Navas
September 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!

auntiemern
September 8th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Loved the video. Wish I could show it to my mom, she loved hummingbirds. What we has was a 'few'

DCM
September 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the video -- they're beautiful little beings and I rarely get to see them. What a treat for you to have so many. Thanks!

Bubby
September 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM
And I thought we had all the hummers this year! I made a gallon of food each day, but you were really using the sugar!!! Aren't they wonderful to watch and worth making the food for! When I would carry a feeder out to hang up they were eating from it as I walked!!

quilter.martha
September 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I have never seen anything like that! I always thought hummingbirds were territorial since the ones we have are. We got maybe 2 at our feeder and only 1 at a time!

My kitties would be going CRAZY to see all those hummers!

Lisaau
September 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Thankyou for sharing your video hummingbirds are so beautiful....

carolv
September 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
My mom and grandson man the feeder's around here. We've already had a few come through but our first front came through yesterday so we'll start getting alot soon.

aliaslaceygreen
September 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for reminding me to go fill the feeders! Just have two feeders, and only two birds that I ever SEE, but man can they go thru sugar water!

cyndiofthevortex
September 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Too, too funny!

I've never seen anything like all of these hummingbirds together. What great fun it must be to watch them.

CrazyMtnLady
September 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Great video! We have never had that many at one time. The most we have counted was about 20. This year for some reason we only had a couple at a time. I have 3 feeders, but they never seemed to run out. I am hoping next year our normal batch decides to return. I love Hummingbirds.

carolv
September 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Just an update, we had about 6-10 show up today. They do sometimes get a little too close when they are fighting. If I can feel the wind off of them when they zoooom by that's too close. lol

ChristineB
September 9th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Wow!!! I have NEVER seen that many hummingbirds! Thanks for sharing!

brook
September 10th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I've never seen so many humming birds! Usually they drive each other off but these didn't seem to have time for that. : )

Monique
September 10th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Wow that is just amazing. We have them here too, but certainly not that many. How many feeders do you have?

Lady T
September 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM
The main thing is to keep their 'juice' fresh. Especially in hot weather.
In hot weather it needs changed OFTEN (every other day). Cooler days it will not sour as quickly (maybe 3-4 days)
We also keep their feeders cleaned with hot soapy water (make sure they are rinsed good)
and the little flower ports scrubbed with a small brush.
When we first started seeing hummingbirds here we only had a few, then every year it just keeps incresing.
The same birds will return to your area every year. Including the ones that hatched/fledged there.
We NEVER use store bought nectar. We make our own sugar water. 1 cup sugar per quart of water.
We add a drop or two of food coloring only for our benefit. It is not necessary. They will drink it clear.
We add because it makes it easier to see when the feeders are getting low.

During the peak of the season this year we had twelve (12) feeders hanging, and was refilling DAILY!
Sometimes it felt like that's all I got done in a day was wash bottles and feed birds! lol
But we get so much enjoyment out of them it is worth it!

We estimate how many birds we get by the amount of juice we go through.
Hummingbirds weigh approx. 1/8 oz. And they will eat anywhere from half (1/2) to eight (8) times its body weight a day.
On our peak feeding this year we were going through 2-2.5 gallons a day (288 oz)
[do the math on that one!]
I wonder what next year will be like!!! ((yikes))

Lady T
September 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
At the peak of the season we had 11 large feeders hanging ( 24oz & 30oz sizes)
We are down to 8 hanging feeders as of today.

We usually buy our feeders at our local Farm Supply store for $12.99 but just recently found the same ones online
for an EXCELLENT price! (These are the only style feeders we use)
We've tried different styles but our birds seem to like these best (and the do NOT like plastic feeders)

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?sku=8325706

Wow that is just amazing. We have them here too, but certainly not that many. How many feeders do you have?

Lady T
September 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I've never seen so many humming birds! Usually they drive each other off but these didn't seem to have time for that. : )

When they first return in the spring there is some "fussing" but then our birds settle in and seem to get along relatively well.
Then again late in the season we'll have more fighting as we will get 'transient' birds passing through that are making their way south.

We always keep the door open so they can hear our voices or the television to help get them used to us.
We sit on the deck while they are feeding and ocassionly will have one land on us (which is AWESOME!) Hubby has hand feed a few.

This was taken last year (she was one of the last few to go) :(

http://i46.tinypic.com/2nssxfk.jpg