PDA

View Full Version : STURDY Ironing Board

lulu
September 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Years ago my dh made me one of those big rectangle boards that fits on top of a regular ironing board. However, lately I go through ironing boards like crazy! Where on earth do you find an ironing board that is STURDY? I do believe the T-leg is the weakest and a 4-leg is probably better. They range from $15 to $70 online! Geeeez!
Wonder if I could have the top taken of an ironing board and have sturdy legs put on it?!?!?!?

rebeccas-sewing
September 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I don't see why not. That actually sounds like a really clever idea, Lulu.

Jess1377
September 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM
That is a clever idea! I have no idea why but I still have one that my husband brought back from when he was in Korea and the stupid thing is so wobbly and creaky. I need to get a new one too. I'm not sure though about how to go about changing the legs, never flipped it over long enough to check other than changing the pad.

lilmouse
September 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM
My SO and I made a cover and put it on a portable table...we weren't trying but the top fits the table exactly...might need to put some risers on the legs to bring up the height but it is nice...let me get the measurements for you -- 24" x 48"...makes for a great ironing surface...we took a precut board at Home Depot...wrapped two layers of warm and natural batting on it going in either direction and I covered it with a favorite piece of fabric...stapled everything to the back....can be taken down and stored if necessary! Just a suggestion!

Sandy Navas
September 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Secure it to the top of a dresser that is the right height for you - or a short dresser (perhaps three drawer) that can be elevated to the right height. You wind up with extra storage in the same space!

GrammaBabs
September 8th, 2012, 07:50 PM
my gripe too... i can't tell you how many times i've turned quick,,, stumbled over the iron cord and had the whole ironing board tip.... YES ,,, it's a bit tight in my room..LOL

K. McEuen
September 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hmm... I paid $50.00 for a big ironing board at Walmart almost 2 years ago. That thing puts up with a lot, had books and stuff crammed on the little shelf on the legs, usually has extra things piled on top and never has tipped or really wiggled much on me. I've been very happy with it.

buckeyequilter
September 8th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I just got one of the big, 4-leg ironing boards a month or so ago and it was about $60. One of the legs on my other ironing board gave out.

lulu
September 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I saw on at JoAnns for $90 (but could use coupon), and saw the one at Wal too, but i want to me able to put my big topper (25" x 60") on top of it. The topper is cut out to fit a standard size ironing board, and some have an unremovable iron rest that also would not work.
Ended up buying another cheapy at Wal and put the topper on it!
Thanks everyone!

KatiesQuiltingCorner
September 11th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Have you seen something like this? They used an IKEA buffet table and added a top for an ironing board. has storage and stuff too!

Madeforyouinma11
September 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Have you seen something like this? They used an IKEA buffet table and added a top for an ironing board. has storage and stuff too!

Love that! Since I don't iron dress shirts or anything that I need the narrow end for, I love that this is all the same size. So much easier when trying to iron a quilt top.

lulu
September 12th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I like that a lot! When the cheapie ironing board I have gives out i will definitely look at that!!! (which probably won't be long!)
Thanks!

carolv
September 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I have a covered board 46 in. X about 20 in I put it on top of a folding table from sams, the kind that folds in the middle and has adjustable legs.