• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ttucsok
    Binding Belle
    • Mar 2012

Colicky Baby Clay Update

Wow, Thank you all so much for all the advice, ideas, suggestions and best wishes! While I have my best friend Julie who comes to visit me and takes a load off while I catch a nap, we don't really have a whole lot of help. My mom still works full time and we lost Gord's mom last year due to complications of kidney failure and she would have been the best to help with the boys as she had three boys herself. Anyway, the doctors appointment went well. Clay does have an umbilical hernia, they told me not to tape a coin to it under any circumstance (LOL), I have went against all medical advice and have him sleeping on his tummy. He loves it. My mom said I was a tummy sleeper as a baby and I survived fine by the looks of things. He is congested, his nasal passage is clear, you can't see any boogies in there but you can hear the mucous in his sinus. He clears them on his own in time but the doctor did try the saline and the saline drops in his nose make him vomit. Not spit up, he projectile pukes with one drop. Of course he would, that would just be too easy otherwise. So the doctor told me to keep on breast feeding him and keep him propped up as much as I can afterwards. I did cut out a lot of dairy in my diet and that seems to help. The other thing that worked wonders was Corbin's "fault", Clay was on the couch crying and I went to soothe him, Corbin stood up at the television and turned the channel. For those who are familiar with "analog" television like we have with the bunny ears, he turned it to a channel that was just static. The noise instantly calmed Clay down and he went to sleep. So now we have a radio in the bedroom and the static helps him sleep. We have gotten used to it as well. He still wanted me to hold him all night so I outsmarted him and put my pillow in his basket. It's a down feather pillow and again against all medical advice to keep pillows out of his sleeping environment, the pillow cradles him and he sleeps like a ... well like a baby should. Things are getting so much better. He is growing and is awake more and more throughout the day and not just because he is screaming. I was so glad to hear someone on my other post mention wanting to throw him out the window because when I told my husband that, he kind of was taken aback, but I was able to show him and say "see, perfectly normal to want to throw a screaming baby out the window!" lol, I know it sounds terrible but it is not meant to be literal. It's taken a few weeks, but we are all finding a groove in this life and making things work. Luckily Corbin is so patient. While I type he is in his high chair launching Cheerios like "tiddly-winks" Thanks again to everyone for their "two cents" It reminds me why I love this site so much even if I am on a sewing hiatus.

This is Clay's birth announcement, which will go out Tuesday!
    2011_06190001.jpg
    (I love that double chin!)

Just for fun, this is Corbin's birth announcement from when he was born.
    2011_06190001.jpg
    Tracy Tucsok

Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • lilmouse
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2011

Re: Colicky Baby Clay Update

I am glad you were able to figure some things out that are working....sometimes it is just trial and error and I am still a tummy sleeper and I am way past Clay's age.....some things stay with you forever!

Comment

• K. McEuen
      Super Moderator
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Glad you are getting some respite from it all.

You mentioned wanting to throw the screaming baby out the window. When my daughter was about 6 weeks old and in the final stages of her colic I was at the breaking point. She was laying in her crib just screaming and wouldn't stop no matter what I did. I knew I couldn't smack her, no matter how much I felt like it. I was standing there with her little baby pillow in my hand. I threw it at her out of frustration. It hit her right in the face. Her eyes opened wide, she took a deep breath and started laughing. I think she was so used to crying that she was in a rut. After that, the pillow was the solution. Every time it would land on her, she'd laugh like crazy. It was sure a lifesaver.
      K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Blondie
        Missouri Star
        • May 2010

I think it was me who said she wanted to throw her baby out the window. Seriously. I know how you feel. Some help is better than others.
        One suggestion given to me at that time was from a friend who told me to set a timer for 20 minutes. If the baby was still screaming after 20 minutes to pick him up. I never made it past 5 minutes. Now that he has his own baby, I call it pay back.
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• NanaB
          The Guild President
          • Feb 2011

Glad things are getting better for you. I remember my neighbor would go sit outside in the yard while her colicky baby would scream inside the house. My babies weren't colicky--until they turned into teenagers!!!!!!!
          I pray when risen from the dead before the Lord I stand; perhaps a crown upon my head, but with a needle in my hand.

Becki

Comment

• SuzyQue
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2010

All of my babies slept on their tummies, some with their tushes in the air even. That was prior to this new thought nixing it. All of my babies slept on a waterbed mattress, specifically made for their crib. I would leave a warm heat pad on their spot for middle of the night feedings, then remove it before adding baby back to bed. They loved that! I would urge caution on sleeping on a pillow, but that said, we did share our king sized waterbed (read squishy matteress) with all of our babies at one time or another. Pediatrician's today would shudder, but they all survived and thrived. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. A white noise machine might be easier to listen to than radio static....but again...do what works for you. Sounds like you are doing better and maybe are more rested. Beware of those colicky teens, though a few years off for you! They make these sweet sleepless baby months look like a cake walk!!!! Trust me, I know!

Comment

• HandsOffItsMine
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2011

Glad that you're smiling again like your old self. Kudos for going agaist the medical and advise books! You found a way to make it through without harming your baby.

Love your birth announcements, the babes are adorable!

Kat's battling the "90 minute awake" cycle with Penny, which Penny hasn't followed since she was born on May 25th. lol According the "Experts" she should be awake 90 minutes, sleeping for 4 hours during the day - 10 pm meal, then sleep 'till 6 am! Hasn't happend once, not even during the day. I don't her, she never did. Her father was the same way per Granny. Only difference is Penny cries when she isn't getting full attention when she's awake. Pay back time?!? Maybe.
              sigpic

Comment

• bkthomas
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                Glad you are getting some respite from it all.

You mentioned wanting to throw the screaming baby out the window. When my daughter was about 6 weeks old and in the final stages of her colic I was at the breaking point. She was laying in her crib just screaming and wouldn't stop no matter what I did. I knew I couldn't smack her, no matter how much I felt like it. I was standing there with her little baby pillow in my hand. I threw it at her out of frustration. It hit her right in the face. Her eyes opened wide, she took a deep breath and started laughing. I think she was so used to crying that she was in a rut. After that, the pillow was the solution. Every time it would land on her, she'd laugh like crazy. It was sure a lifesaver.
                Love that!!!
                ~Kathy~

Comment

• bkthomas
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

Love the pic of Corbin in the dresser drawer!

Throw the baby out the window - reminds me of the old saying that you say about you child when
                  he/she is older and giving Mom a rough time - "I should have thrown him out with the bath water"
                  Glad to here things are going a little smoother now. Check in with us often, you don't have to be sewing
                  to join us here - but of course you know that! Love your cute little boys!
                  ~Kathy~

Comment

• Musical_Starling
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2012

I have to post a link to this video, because when my sister (and my mother! lol) were dealing with my colic nephew it really was a stress reliever to just laugh at a comedian's take on it lol Sure, she won't be winning mother of the year any time soon, but it's nice to know you're not crazy lol

*Dee*
                    Believe
                    There Is
                    Good In The World

Comment

• auntiemern
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2012

So glad you are getting things settled down. Both of my GD's were tummy sleepers. I just don't believe all that stuff that was fine for my daughter is now dangerous. What ever works for you and your child is what is important. Not sure about the pillow, would maybe try something else with your scent on it.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

• New York Sue
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2012

Dee, that is priceless!
                        I saved to my favorites, as my colicky one, is due to POP!
                        I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                        It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

• Genny
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2011

What a sweetie! So glad hes doing better!
                          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• CrazyMtnLady
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2011

So glad to hear things are looking up. Both my girls were tummy sleepers. Sometimes it's okay to break the "rules". As I said in my "two cents worth" my daughters loved to have noise in the background. I used music, but static works well. After all they say the womb is a very noisy place.

Love the announcement.
                            Donna
                            MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

• madampolo
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2012

My DIL always put her firstborn on his back. After awhile, the back of his head was flat! He didn't have any hair, and it really did show. She started rotating him more, and he grew out of it, or grew hair over it. I always put my kids on their tummies. They could raise their head a bit, so if they spit up, I thought they'd be OK. If they were on their back, I thought they would drown. I think they say to put them on their side. Your baby boy is sooooo cute!
                              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X