• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klasien
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2011

Gave Douwe his quilt today!!

Hello my dear friends.

We had an emotional afternoon. My DH (Jan) and I went to Rotterdam to bring Douwe his quilt.
    I had a little speech and after that I handed over our special gift to him!!
    He stood there just looking and was in lost for words, he looked at me and at Jan, we were just waiting for him to talk.
    Then his wife and Jan took the quilt to hold up for him, and his wife saw the back.........so she turned it right away.
    When I first told you all he was sick, your comment had touched me so deep, I printed them all out and had sent them to Douwe, when he looked at the back of the quilt he did see names he had seen before, and told me that he was so happy with you all!
    They turned the quilt back to the front and he started reading the little wishes and names on the blocks......still not speaking much. There were tears running down his face and turned to me, I told him that I had to give him a huge hug from all of you, we laughed and cried at the same time, and we huged!!!!!
    He loved the quilt, he said it came at the right time, because he is cold a lot of the times when he takes a little nap and does not wants to go to bed and all, so he can use the very special made quilt from his special guardian angles from MSQC!!!
    It was a very special moment, thanks to you all, all the love and prayers put into that quilt, is amazing!!!!

He was feeling pretty good, he takes lots and lots of medications, so much that he wrote it all down to remember what time what to take, I think it was over 20 pills a day. The bone marrow transplant was last tuesday and he went home wednesday!
    So this afternoon we sat outside and had coffee and talked and talked. I know there are so manny things that can go wrong, but for now he is looking okay, feeling sick some of the time, but today he was feeling good!!!!
    The main thing is for the bone marrow to adjust and get accepted by his body, so we focus on that, but all the bad cells are gone, his hair is growing back just a little, he needs to gain a lot of weight (I wanted to give him some....I have enough, I look so big in the picture next to him......)

Jan took a picture and I would like to share that one with you.
    Douwe has asked me to thanks you all soooooo much, he was touched and moved, he said he could feel the love and he was reading those comments every now and then, it gave him hope and made him feel so blessed!!!

Thanks my friends, thanks, from Douwe, Jan and myself!!!

Love and a huge hug to all!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Files
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Gave Douwe his quilt today!!

Thank you so much for sharing this story! You know we all still pray daily for Douwe's recovery, so glad the quilt will keep him warm.

Comment

• K. McEuen
      Super Moderator
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Great picture! You know, even though he is thinner and bald (which isn't a bad look for him) his color looks a lot better than the last picture you posted of him.

I'm glad he liked his quilt and is feeling a little better now. Hopefully the transplant will take care of all his problems.
      K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

Klasien...What a sweet story. I'm so glad he was surprised and pleased. The picture is great of both of you. Prayers will continue for both of you....Hugs, barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Divine Daisy
          Missouri Star
          • May 2011

ok, I have tears in my eyes and I am not a cryer! **** menopause! Sniff sniff.

I am so glad that Douwe is so happy with his quilt. I know how touched Mr D was with his and it is beside him all the time. The nurses spill blood on it sometimes and I have to take it home and wash it and bring it STRAIGHT back lol. I so wanted to join in with the quilt for Douwe, but it came at a very bad time for me and so was unable to. I do join with everyone though in saluting the tenacity of these men of ours and wishing him a safe journey through the bone marrow process.
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Cellomom
            Batting Beauty
            • Mar 2012

Klasien, I've been waiting for this post and am so happy that Douwe is through his transplant. Thanks for sharing. Please tell Douwe we continue to pray for strength and recovery for him and your family.
            cellomom:icon_wave:

Comment

• sewbizzy
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2012

Klasien, this post brought tears to my eyes...I'm praying for Douwe everyday...
              the quilt is so beautiful that a lot of you shared in making on this forum...I was still too new to quilting to get involved at the time...
              Simply wonderful!!!
              Hugs and blessings
              Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2010

Love the picture, Klasien! Nice to see those big smiles.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• HandsOffItsMine
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2011

Great to see you with Douwe! He looks really good after his treatment, glad that he's having good days.

Prayers of course and yes, the MSQC Guardian Angels will continue to pray and send healing light his way...

Huggers, Ruby and Don
                  sigpic

Comment

• Lenie
                    Missouri Star
                    • Dec 2010

Klasien, wat een prachtige foto, en wat een geweldige quilt. Ik hoop voor jullie dat het allemaal alleen maar beter gaat de komende tijd.

Comment

• EnumclawGramma
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2012

I don't even have words to say how this post makes me feel. I know how much it means to you to have Douwe home and feeling and looking so much better! I know how it is to walk this walk, to see someone you love go through this. You have a HUGE group of people praying for him, and will continue to do so. So happy for you! So proud to be part of a forum that shows the love the way this one does! We are all really blessed by this. I also wish I had taken part in this quilt, but I just don't have the confidence in my quilting skills yet and didn't want to be that one wonky block you got and didn't know what to do with! Someday I will add my love to a quilt like this. Until then....sending prayers and love your way for you AND your Douwe!
                      sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

• EsGrandma
                        Missouri Star
                        • Aug 2010

Your picture is so beautiful - so glad that the quilt is keeping him warm - will continue to pray for you all. Linda

Comment

• SuzyQue
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2010

Thanks for sharing this special moment with all of us. Prayers will continue. So sweet.

Comment

• Blondie
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2010

Hello dear Klaisen!
                            How happy reading this has made me and also the picture of you two made my heart happier. Dear, precious siblings should never be taken for granted. My prayers continue.
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• GrammaBabs
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2010

Klasien,,, i'm so happy for you and Douwe and family.... your always in my thoughts and i truly believe, having us all in his corner is a huge help.... it's an honor to be part of this healing and helping journey....
                              Here where i live we have a dear GF,, that is 2 years from her "bone marrow transplant".... not a walk in the park,, but she's happy and feeling very blessed,, enjoying every minute and breath she takes... Last month she traveled to NY and met her donor... her story has been such a heart warming one.... Know that i'm here feeling very confident that Douwe will heal under his "love and hugs quilt".... Babs
                              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                              X