PDA

View Full Version : Talk about scarey!

Sandy Navas
August 23rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
(HARRISON CO., Mo.) Troopers from the Missouri Highway Patrol came to the rescue when a woman's accelerator got stuck while she was driving on the interstate.

Troop H tells KQ2 Lori Ubelstad, of Ames, Iowa, was driving on I-35 north of Bethany when she noticed that she couldn't slow down in her KIA Sorrento.

In a panic, Ubelstad called her husband and 911, asking what she should do.

Troopers from the Missouri Highway Patrol caught up with her on I-35 and stayed with her as she reached speeds up to 110 miles per hour.

Her vehicle even traveled through a work zone and went into the median during the ordeal.

Troopers captured video of the incident on the patrol cameras. Ubelstad and troopers both had to veer in and out of traffic during the incident.

They even went off the interstate at times to avoid a collision with other vehicles that were unable to move over.

Finally, when they reached Iowa, somehow Ubelstad was able to slow down enough for a trooper to climb in the car and put it in park.

The woman traveled nearly 40 miles into Iowa before she was able to end the harrowing ordeal. Comments

The woman was on the phone with the Highway Patrol the entire time. They talked her through every possible scenario and nothing worked. She was not able to simply take it out of gear.

carolv
August 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Oh my, that is scary. You just never know what could break at any time.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
And they said Toyotas were the only cars that did that. Glad she is OK. I drive that stretch of highway on my way to visit my son in Winterset, glad I wasn't there where it was going on! There are stretches of that road in Iowa that are just two lane, that would really be a disaster. She should get a job as an Indy car racer!

sewmuchjan
August 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
WOW that is scarey!!! Glad no one was hurt!!! And all end well!!!

kensington
August 24th, 2012, 12:10 AM
OMG... this has happened twice recently in the news, and I have wondered both times why they did not put the car in to Neutral or turn it off. Put it in park? Not too smart.... at any significant mph that car could flip. So dangerous.

lilmouse
August 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Something like that happened to me years ago.....the linkage to the throttle froze..(very cold out)...couldn't slow the car down....finally just shut the key off....did the trick...burned my brakes; had my flashers going and honking my horn..it was on my way home from work at 2:00 a.m. and thank goodness almost no traffic and I did pick up a police officer who tried to help me...drove about 10 miles like that....scariest thing that ever happened to me....car stunk of burnt oil and brakes for weeks afterwards......I remember the cop never even asked for my DL

auntiemern
August 24th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Wow, that is scary, I would for sure had to change my undies after an ordeal like that.

bkthomas
August 24th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Sandy, sorry but I was waiting for a punch line ( well, what do you expect/ this is Sandy ya know!) - glad I'm not her!

Genny
August 24th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Wow, that is scary, I would for sure had to change my undies after an ordeal like that.

Oh me too...

janluna
August 24th, 2012, 03:09 AM
This happened to me in my son's van. The spring on the accelerator jammed. I hit the 90's. Finally, I saw a rest stop, I pulled in and stood on the brake, could not get it to release the gear. I did learn in Emergency vehicle operation course, never turn off the key. You can flip the car because of it, or catch the engine on fire. Just try to get it into neutral, and stand on the brake, and get it to stop. Then turn off the key. The guy at the station, then showed me how the spring stretched out and lost it power to pull the accelerator back down. He showed me how to quick fix it till you can get a new spring. You take it off, turn it around, and put the tight part of the spring back on. The spring never goes past the mid mark, when it stretches, so you can make the other half do the work, cause it is still a tight spring. I'm tired, I hope this made sense.
What I want to know, is why the cops, didn't tell her this stuff on the phone. They have to take the same E.V.O.C training I did. And what idiot would run beside a car that won't stop, and then reach in and take it out of gear, while a hysterical person is still behind the wheel, who will probably take their hands off the wheel when the cops leans in.! Never mind, I'm too tired. I'm going to bed. Love you all, Hugs and prayers, Jan L.

Blondie
August 24th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Absolutely terrifying. Wonder how long it took all of their knees to quit wobbling and shaking after that?

rebeccas-sewing
August 24th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I'm with you, Jan! Why didn't they tell her to put it in park!? Seems crazy! That police officer must've fantasized being a stuntman instead of a cop!

Blondie
August 24th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hey Sandy, just heard this story on the Fox morning news.

CrazyMtnLady
August 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
How scary that must have been. Glad I wasn't on the road near her at the time.

Sandy Navas
August 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM
What is really scarey is if you have driven this road before. Once inside the Iowa state line there is a whole lot of construction and the road is switched over to only two lanes. Since it is a main line from Des Moines down to Kansas City there is a lot of traffic and a whole lot of huge trucks. The construction area goes on for miles and miles and miles.

GrammaBabs
August 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
What a nightmare.... i'm one of those lately that thinks up all this sort of scary stuff,,, and worries about what "could happen"..... My DH hubby told me once that you can gradually try to pull up the emergency brake as a help.... Trust me, if this happens to me... i probably would not remember and they would find me off the road probably a goner sitting in a very nasty seat full of something smelling very nasty.... hey,,, i tell it like it is...
But we need to do better at keeping our cars in shape and the industry needs to step up the quality control... hummmmmmm... that pretty much goes for ALL jobs around!!
OK... time to get to the pool and relax... i'm still thinking about that poor woman....

bobw103
August 24th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Sandy, sorry but I was waiting for a punch line ( well, what do you expect/ this is Sandy ya know!) - glad I'm not her!

Me too-that Sandy does have us conditioned does she not? But yes very very scary!