PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still use this recipe?

Sandy Navas
August 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398/

Bubby
August 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
It's a classic...

bkthomas
August 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Not lately - but thanks for the refresher and step-by-step instructions!!!

Sandy Navas
August 23rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
If you really want to enjoy the recipe be sure to check out the comments below it. They are classic for certain.

Beach Cottage Quilter
August 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
We could never remember the reciepe so, we got a machine to make it for us.

sewmuchjan
August 23rd, 2012, 10:42 PM
OOOOOOO Yummmy!!!! That one is a keeper!!!!! LOL :D

Thanks Sandy for sharing!!!! :D

Panda
August 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
That is so funny. It even had photo's. My family never remembered the recipe, so I was always the one making them. I finally got a fridge with an ice maker.

bec
August 23rd, 2012, 10:47 PM
I've gotten lazy in my old age and have a machine to make my ice. I know...I know...homemade is so much better. :)

Jean Sewing Machine
August 23rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
Could we put vodka in there and enhance the recipe? Oh, no, vodka is an antifreeze--darn!

MRoy
August 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I think I'm the only one who remembers the recipe at our house. LOL!

sewbizzy
August 23rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
So funnnnny!!! and the comments are hilarious!!! thanks Sandy

ChristineB
August 23rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hilarious!!!

lilmouse
August 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks Sandy; I just refilled ours this morning...your timing is definitely right on target....except I didn't need a recipe...I needed help reaching that high with full ice trays....ours had been in there so long they evaporated...yes ice cubes will evaporate in the freezer!

lilmouse
August 24th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Just read some of the comments....hilarious!

Jess1377
August 24th, 2012, 12:34 AM
This is so funny and the comments are hilarious too! Loving it!! I think I will email this link to my husband and see what his reaction might be since somehow or another the trays end up empty in the freezer!

bkthomas
August 24th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Had to go back and read some of the comments - love the one about tap water-tap dancer!

Meli
August 24th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Wait! You mean you don't need to buy it in bags from the grocery store??? What an amazing, liberating concept!

pcbatiks
August 24th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Too funny....glad I have an ice maker. Maybe I should write down the recipe just in case! :)

Madeforyouinma11
August 24th, 2012, 03:00 AM
:icon_rofl: that is too funny! I love the comments. I haven't made them in awhile, my daughter usually takes care of that. I'll put the recipe aside so I'll know what to do after she moves out. Hahaha thanks Sandy, a good laugh before bed is always welcomed.

rebeccas-sewing
August 24th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Okay guys!!! Make fun if you will but this is how I have to make ice in London. Most of the time I do it the British way and drink at room temp. I've recently been on an iced coffee kick. As that implies ice, that requires an ice cube tray! Now, we're not talkin' about a nice sized ice tray like Americans used to use. This ice tray is quite small and actually comes with a plastic top ( I actually think that's a good idea, however, I'm too lazy to put the top on. I just take my chances it won't spill.) To remove the ice from the tray, I take a gallon freezer bag and put the tray inside it to pop the ice out otherwise it falls all over the place. Every day I fill my little tray up and put it in my tiny freezer and make tiny ice. I've actually been using it to freeze lemon cubes for marinating fish. Produce is expensive here so "waste not want not." You may ask yourself, why does this crazy American lady only make one tray at a time? You may remember I said tiny freezer. So, in answer to your question Miss Sandy, I do indeed still use this recipe!

quilter.martha
August 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks Sandy; I just refilled ours this morning...your timing is definitely right on target....except I didn't need a recipe...I needed help reaching that high with full ice trays....ours had been in there so long they evaporated...yes ice cubes will evaporate in the freezer!

Happens to me all the time. I think the dust bunnies that live under the fridge get up there and eat them.

CrazyMtnLady
August 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thank you for the recipe. I think I will copy it and tape it to the outside of the freezer door so that DH can learn how to make these "cubes of delight".

buckeyequilter
August 24th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I am so happy to have that recipe again...I lost mine a long time ago.

Patrice
August 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
that was to funny. loved the reviews. I put it on pinterest..lol

NanaB
August 24th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I always said I didn't need an icemaker because I wasn't too lazy to fill the trays. I didn't realize that my children were too lazy, though! AND the people I used to work with ----

K. McEuen
August 24th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Oh, you mean no one had the family that would leave ONE cube in each tray and not refill them because "they weren't empty yet" ?

Meli
August 24th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Read the recipe and a few of the comments to DH. His response was classic:

"I think all those people -- and you and your friends -- have WAY too much time on their hands."

I love him to pieces, and he has a wicked, dry sense of humor. Sadly, he doesn't understand MY sense of humor! lol

auntiemern
August 25th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the refresher Sandy. It has been a long time since I have made these. I do think I may still have some trays though.

Sandy Navas
August 25th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Read the recipe and a few of the comments to DH. His response was classic:

"I think all those people -- and you and your friends -- have WAY too much time on their hands."

I love him to pieces, and he has a wicked, dry sense of humor. Sadly, he doesn't understand MY sense of humor! lol

I hope you told him that you and your friends just didn't stand around with their hands in their pockets!

SummerK
August 25th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I love it! The reviews are fantastic. I wish I'd have had this recipe for my mother when she was wanting us to run to the gas station to buy ice for her 3 times a week. We tried to tell her how to make her own, but maybe this would have worked better.

GrammaBabs
August 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I don't even have to read the rest... when we first married... Mr. Bill used to tell people... OH, we don't have ice,,, Barbara lost the recipie!!!!...
I was a bit of a spoiled girl when he married... (ask some,,,, i still am)... but i really try very hard!!!!LOL

kensington
August 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I actually adapted that recipe years ago based on a factoid I learned in 8th grade Science class. Use warm water. Freezes faster. But, I NEVER measure anything! :D

Musical_Starling
August 26th, 2012, 05:39 AM
I tried this recipe, but really didn't like it. It came out cold and hard and not very flavourful. I did adapt the recipe though. I instead added the water to a jug, added lemon juice and sugar and put it in the fridge instead of the freezer. Tasted delicious! :icon_giggle:

We actually used to joke that my sister needed a recipe for ice cubes because if she doesn't follow a recipe (and sometimes even when she does!) she ruins EVERYTHING she tries to cook! lol My Dad claims she can take the taste out of a bottle of pepper lol

Sandy Navas
August 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I tried this recipe, but really didn't like it. It came out cold and hard and not very flavourful. I did adapt the recipe though. I instead added the water to a jug, added lemon juice and sugar and put it in the fridge instead of the freezer. Tasted delicious! :icon_giggle:

We actually used to joke that my sister needed a recipe for ice cubes because if she doesn't follow a recipe (and sometimes even when she does!) she ruins EVERYTHING she tries to cook! lol My Dad claims she can take the taste out of a bottle of pepper lol

Now that is funny.

Silverlining
August 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I haven't used this recipe in quite a while. Although, I really love making orange juice ice cubes occasionally. We have a machine in our freezer to make these for us. But alas, it always gets jammed and we have to get the cubes out by hand. Such a pain. Thanks for the recipe.

Carolyn23
August 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hilarious!

mommadeb
August 26th, 2012, 08:22 PM
That's how you make those darn things? I've been searching forever to find a good recipe. I'll have to write this one down.:icon_rolleyes:

Sandy Navas
August 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
That's how you make those darn things? I've been searching forever to find a good recipe. I'll have to write this one down.:icon_rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll bet you just walk out to your backyard and pluck some off the tree branches. Some people have it easy.

(Still got Mom and Sis there?)

New York Sue
August 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Now that is funny.

It sure is!

alliek
September 5th, 2012, 09:59 PM
The best of this recipe are the comments. Good read to make you laugh! Thanks Sandy.:lol:

Monique
September 11th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Yup the comments are priceless. (shakes her head)