PDA

View Full Version : DH and the surprise gift

RiverMomm
August 23rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
A few weeks ago, I was showing my DH a few funny videos on YouTube. And pulled up one showing the iron that pops up on little feet. I thought it was funny. I thought he knew I thought it was funny.

Well, he is still in British Columbia with the boys, but he left a package for me to open today. Of course, I opened it the other day, but that's a different story. What did I find inside? Yep, you guessed it. The iron that has little feet that pop out when you put it down. My first thought, its going back. Too expensive, think of the fabric I could buy. But . . . I know he thought long and hard about this gift and wanted it to be special (ggeezzzze, whatever happened to diamonds, champagne and chocolate?)

Ok, fine. I knew I had to keep it. And use it. Off to Home Depot for some sub-flooring like Jenny used in her ironing board video. A few missteps with English (me) and French (sales guy) and I finally got it. Mind you, I am pretty sure the guy thought I was crazy. He keep trying to get me to go to the flooring department. And when I said I was making an ironing board . . . let's just say, I am sure "crazy American" went through his head.

So, today is the day when I "open" my present. Ooohhh, look its a cool iron with feet. And I have a flat place to iron my blocks (not so good for quilt tops as the board its too small). Ohhhh DH, thanks so much, its just what I wanted.

And, in case you are wondering, it really does work well. And once I get over feeling totally silly with an iron that has feet, I am sure I will really love it!

K. McEuen
August 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Really, it was nice of him to actually pay enough attention to get you that iron. I'm pretty sure that would have gone right over my hubby's head. I'm with you though, paying that much for an iron seems a little crazy. To me, if it's heavy and gets hot enough, I'm happy.

rebeccas-sewing
August 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm am filled with envy! You are so lucky to have a hubby who is so on the ball!!! Enjoy your new toy!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Wow, wow, wow, the iron, the ironing board, the thoughtful DH! You got it all today! Have lots of fun with it all! And give him an extra special kiss when he returns home!

janluna
August 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
VICKY!!! I got one for my birthday last Feb! Two of the girls I quilt with went in together and bought it for me. Dawn is the Queen of finding things on sale. So, she bought 3. One for her DIL, one for me and one for herself, all for the price of what one would have cost not on sale. I'm so proud of her. Then, our friend Sandy, found out and insisted on going in on the one for me. The first time I used it, I kept putting it on end. Then, I put it down and jumped out of my skin when the robotic thing stood up on it's own little feet! Too funny! I love it! The only problem I see in my future is going someplace, using an iron, and burning the place down because I didn't set it on end! LOL That Dawnie and Sandy are so special! I cried, that they would do that for me. Enjoy your Robot dear girl! And it's little feet. Hugs, Jan L.

sewbizzy
August 23rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
You are one lucky lady with a husband that actually pays attention to her...the iron was a great gift for you...something I am sure you wouldn't buy for yourself if you are like me...I have seen them in tutes, too...how neat....I suppose it would take some getting used to not setting the iron on end....
enjoy!!

stitching woman
August 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
What a wonderful gift. I know you will love it they are awesome irons.

Divine Daisy
August 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Ladies ladies! The rule for birthdays is............. nothing for the house or cooking or ironing! A gift for you! ok ok I know we need a good iron for quilting but you really can make a case for it being a household item.

Perfume......yes
jewels.........obviously
Chocolates.... meh but yes at a push
Dinner for two.......no brainer
Irons???????? ............ ok thats the gift for the house.... now lets get serious!

Cat n bull
August 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
I'd rather have the iron than jewelry. I told my dh a long time ago not to waste money on jewelry.

What a thoughtful husband! To pay attention to YOU and think of something you would enjoy but would not get for yourself, rather than a normal average no-brains needed gift.

Bubby
August 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
I would much rather have the iron than flowers, chocolates or dinner out....maybe not more that good jewelry. I think it's an awesom iron but I might have to get used to not standing it up like I've done forever!

Genny
August 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Ever since I seen one of Jennys videos with one of these irons I've thought they were so cool! Congrats on this great gift!

Winniesfriend
August 23rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
So nice of your hubby to buy you a gift he knew you would appreciate, he put some thought in to it and I think that is very important.

sewmuchjan
August 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
That is soo cool...or should I say hot!!!! Happy B-Day and enjoy your Iron with little feet!!! Nice Hubby!!! :)

Loonwatcher
August 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have an Oliso with the pop out feet. I love it. But be careful. You'll get used to it and then when you're using another you might forget to stand it on end when not in use. That's what happened to me at quilt camp where we all use everyones' irons.

And there is a switch that will disable the feet and keep them in should you want to do so.

bec
August 23rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
I think that's an awesome gift! Yes, it is expensive, but it's wonderful that DH is so supportive of your quilting addiction, that he would get that for you. I love functional gifts...not much on jewelry, chocolate, eating out, and definitely not perfume... (I'm oversensitive to smells). Enjoy your robotic iron and every time you use it think about what a thoughtful hubby you have.

P.S. Next time show him pictures of the stash that many of your quilting friends have. Maybe he'll buy out a fabric store for you. lol

lilmouse
August 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
He did put thought into it and you have to give him credit for that....I personally think it would drive me nuts...I tell everyone for Bdays and Christmas; if you have to get me something than get me a JoAnne's gift card or the Sew n Save!

RiverMomm
August 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I had a great birthday yesterday. I think the family thought I would be sad since they are away. I guess the neighbors did too, so they invited me over for dinner and cards. I had a wonderful time. Of course, I had to iron my shirt (ok, it didn't need to be ironed, but . . .) and I have to admit this is one cool iron!

I did jump when it popped up. And jumped a little every once in a while as I played (I mean ironed) with it. This iron gets HOT! It gets so much hotter than my old iron. It will be great for my blocks. I knew my old iron was not all that good, but it worked and I wasn't ready to think about a new iron (what brand, what features, what price, etc). I wouldn't even have considered this iron due to the price. But, I love it and would recommend it to anyone who quilts, needs an iron and has the money.

DH never gives household type gifts for my birthday or Christmas, but I think of this as a quilting addiction gift. And we all know that addiction-fabrics, notions, fabrics, and more fabrics. Hubby and I don't give each other expensive gifts on our birthdays but rather just little "I'm thinking of you" gifts. This was a surprise!

Yep, DH did good! He thought it out, saw the price and did it anyway.

Now I wonder if I show him a video of MSQC and comment that I would love to go there . . . . LOL

Lisaau
August 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Jenny uses one of those irons in the tutorials ...l,m jealous l,d love to have one for quilting

NanaB
August 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I think your hubs is a keeper! I hint at stuff, and my DH lets it go over his head!!! Don't let the cat/dog knock the iron off the board--that could be one expensive accident. I noticed in Jenny's new tut that she's not using her Oliso (?) iron but one that sits 'on its bottom'. Wonder where hers is?????

Beach Cottage Quilter
August 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Wow, how sweet of dh...that's one fancy iron!

quilter.martha
August 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think your DH was VERY sweet. He paid attention you something you pointed out and then bought it for you. And, yes I'd consider a GOOD iron like that a great addition to my quilting addiction and not a household gift. Keep your DH, he's a winner.

RiverMomm
August 24th, 2012, 01:57 PM
The thing I noticed about Jenny's Oliso iron in one of her videos was that it squeaked. That would make me nuts. My iron is pretty quiet. Since the iron is always flat, it won't be knocked off by the cats (or hubby).

One thing I thought was interesting was that the instructions said NOT to use 100% distilled water-just tap water of half tap and half distilled if the water is really hard. Apparently, 100% distilled water will make the iron spit. Maybe that is the norm for irons but its been so long since I bought an iron, or read the instructions for an iron, I was surprised. I wouldn't have read the instructions for this iron if it wasn't so different from my old one.

I think your hubs is a keeper! I hint at stuff, and my DH lets it go over his head!!! Don't let the cat/dog knock the iron off the board--that could be one expensive accident. I noticed in Jenny's new tut that she's not using her Oliso (?) iron but one that sits 'on its bottom'. Wonder where hers is?????

Blondie
August 24th, 2012, 09:21 PM
That's some special fella! I can buy my own chocolate. I like a guy who anticipates and appreciates your need for gadgets.

MRoy
August 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Happy Birthday! I think you scored big-time with this iron! Last year DH got me a sweater for my birthday. Bless his heart, that was a BIG accomplishment for him. LOL! (Having a birthday the week before Christmas, doesn't help either.) Your guy is keeper!