PDA

View Full Version : Felt Hat Day

Barbara W
September 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM
:icon_wave: I just finished looking at the Quilter's Daily Deal. The ad at the bottom reminded me of my father. He always wore a hat to the office. One year my mom bought him a really good one from a local hatter. The hatter's policy was to give the gift buyer a miniature hat and then the recipient would return the mini hat in it's own mini hatbox after being measured for the gift. My dad always forgot to return the mini (LOL):D so I am now the proud owner of a size minus-ten felt hat with hatbox. The store is long gone and, as pointed out, the day of wearing hats has passed but I still have fond memories whenever I look at that box on the shelf.
Barbara W in MI

pdjewelrylady
September 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
what a sweet little (mini) memory SO cute - thanks for sharing :icon_tup:

sally
September 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I remember my Dad wearing his hats as well. He like to have them at a "jaunty angle".
When my great uncle passed away we inherited a big hat box full of his hats and they even fit my hubby. I too wish the hats woould come back in. Speaking of that era I hear aprons are coming back in!

Dragonfly
September 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Speaking of that era I hear aprons are coming back in!

Yes they are quite trendy here in Australia, lots of pattern books and the like going around. And not before time if you ask me, most sensible piece of clothing there ever was, saved so much washing, wiped many hands and tears, were a good stopgap when the oven mitts went missing and all sorts of other things.

LONG LIVE THE APRON!!

PS Am I showing my age :icon_happy:

toggpine
September 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
My husband has one. Of course if he didn't wear a hat of some sort his head would either fry or freeze, since most of the hair is now gone. I love how he looks in one. Much better than the baseball caps!

I too, love a good apron. They protect your clothes from so many minor kitchen accidents. Sadly my figure does not lend itself to most of the trendy new patterns. I am thinking of designing some of my own for those of us who like to eat what we cook, and don't get as much exercise as our doctors would like.