PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with my iron....Any recommendations?

New York Sue
August 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
The Black and Decker iron I use, is frustrating the heck out of me!
Steam is MARGINAL, and the 5 minute shut-off timer isn't working out well with piecing. 'Awakens' fast after 'sleep-mode', but not enough steam to keep me going by a long shot...
Yep, you may have guessed, WalMart special at under $15!
Time for a moderately priced 'big girl' iron. Any recommendations?

Jean Sewing Machine
August 22nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Never buy a $15 iron from WalMart. Break the bank and buy a $22 Sunbeam from K-Mart! I have two, one for the sewing room and one for the upstairs ironing tasks. It does auto shut off, but heats up quickly. I threw away an expensive Rowenta because it wouldn't reheat after shutting off. I really hate that feature in irons.

Sandy Navas
August 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
I have had two irons bite the dust in the last two weeks. I'm beginning to think I am jinxed or something. The first was my B&D which I've used steadily and was a great little performer. I don't use steam but do use a spray bottle. No automatic shut-off. So I got out my Proctor-Silex and it died about three days later. What's going on?

So, I took my good iron from the bedroom - honestly don't know the brand - but it has automatic shut-off and I hate it. My sister just spent over $200 on an iron. Believe me, I'm way to tight for that. So, I'm in the market, too. I really did like my B&D though.

lilmouse
August 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
My DD bought a Singer iron and just loves it....may want to take a look at that one....does have auto shut off though!

twnkeyes
August 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
I have a Rowenta. They are not cheap but I've had mine for 4 years so far with absolutely no problems. For me it has been worth the investment.

janluna
August 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
My friends, Dawn Dennie and Sandy O'Brien bought me the Osilo smart iron for my birthday last year. I love it. It also has the shutoff but stays for 30 minutes before it shuts off. It heats right up when I move it. It is the one that lifts off the ironing board so nothing gets scorched. Dawn bought 3 of them, when she found them on sale. One for me, one for her DIL, and one for herself. I really like the job it does. I also have a Rowenta. I like that one too. I only paid $30.00 for it on sale at Joann's. Hugs, Jan L.

rebeccas-sewing
August 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
I guess it depends on which one you buy. I had a Rowenta I bought at Tuesday Morning. It was a piece of cr#p! I'm using a Phillips Joe bought here in London. It works great and heats up really fast. It has a light that blinks on and off when it goes into shut-off mode. It helps remind me to tip the iron over so it heats back up again. I sew for a while and if I see that light blinking I just tip it over like I'm going to iron and it comes right back on again. I didn't know Singer makes irons! Sunbeam from Kmart sounds worth giving a try, especially for 22 bucks!

quilter.martha
August 22nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm in the market for an iron as well. I bought a cheapie one at Wal Mart last year and the stupid thing beeps at me all the time! Ask Cyndi about how much noise it makes. It does not seem to stay hot enough to get a good press as well. I know I don't want to spend a fortune on an iron. I'd rather spend it on fabric!

HandsOffItsMine
August 22nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
I found a Rowenta Effective at Ross for $29 - It does have an auto-shut off (after 30 min I think) but heats up super fast. Was in the new TJ Max in Pearl City last week and they had even better Rowenta for $26. Check out your discount stores, well worth it. :)

cyndiofthevortex
August 22nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
You will not believe what I have to do to use the Sunbeam iron that I bought for $4 at a thrift store. It turns off after 30 minutes and I have to PLUG IT BACK INTO THE WALL to get it going again! But I completely love it and will put up with the totally stupid inconvenience. I set up an extention cord so it's easy to plug back in. It's just the best iron I have ever owned. Yes, the bleeping B & D I also own is tucked away in case my Sunbean bites the dust, but I never liked it. Martha is right, the beeping is very annoying and it did not heat up as well as the Sunbeam does.

I have to have one that shuts off. I have a small B & D for applique and I leave it on all the time. I came home from church on Sunday and found it still on, hot as could be. We have cats that sleep on the ironing board and could easily knock it over. Yikes! That put some fear into me!

I think we all like different things about our irons and what is perfect for one of us isn't so great for another. And I swear each individual iron heats up differently. Keep trying ones out and keep that sales slip until you find one that you really like. Even $4 irons can become your best ironing friend. You just never know.

Musical_Starling
August 28th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I need a new iron too, it seems to be a trend. I have a "Toastmaster" right now, bought it when I worked retail and had to iron my uniform. It usually works okay, but most days it makes me utter words that no lady should ever speak lol It spits water all over whatever I'm ironing, even when I'm not using it! It could just be sitting up on its end on the ironing board and then it'll start spitting at me. Bugger... lol So I guess I'm in the market for a "big girl" iron too! From what I just read from you lovely ladies, I'll be looking for one with NO auto shut off, because that's one PITA I don't need!

One question though, which do you prefer, heavier or lighter? I would think heavier, but would that possibly stretch your squares?

KatiesQuiltingCorner
August 28th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hate my Rowenta Pro. Will never buy another Rowenta. I've been eyeing the Reliable irons since they stay hot longer. Oliso looks interesting too but might not be for me.

Good luck finding a good one! I don't think there is the "perfect iron" out there. :(

Claire Hallman
August 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I just bought a B&D iron that has a retractable cord, hope it out preforms my old rowenta that has never gotten as hot as I would like.