PDA

View Full Version : Update on gandaughter...

Genny
August 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks to God and all of your prayers, my granddaughter is much better. Words can never express how thankfull we are to all of you special people. Megan actually came home with us tonight and seems to be doing much better.

For anyone that doesn't know what happened, my 19 year old granddaughter had her tonsils and adnoids taken out a week ago today. Yesterday she started bleeding, we rushed her to the ER and after a little while the bleeding stopped and we took her home. About an hour after I got home my daughter called and said she was taking Megan back to the ER. When I arrived Meg was hemmoraging and she was vomiting blood continuously and my daughter told me they'd called Life Flight. By the time my husband and other daughter arrived there were 3 nurses , 2 doctors and every member of the ambulance crews And ER working on her. When Life Flight arrived they put her out and inserted a tube down her throat to keep her air way clear of blood. It took them about 20 minutes to get her stabilized enough to survive the trip to Des Moines. This was so serious that they told my daughter that she needed to fly on the helicopter with them. They arrived in Des Moines about 25 minutes after take off and used 2 pints of blood on her while in flight. Upon arrival Meg was taken into surgery and her throat was coterized. The surgeon said he'd never pumped so much blood out of a patients stomach as he did Megs.

Needless to say, this has taken a few years off mine and my husband's lives but it also makes us appreciate our family more then ever.

To everyone here, give your family extra hugs and kisses and let them know how much you love them...

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...

kelliedi
August 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM
so glad to hear she is home and on her way to mending.....

bobw103
August 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Wow-how scary! How did this happen? Wow!
I am so glad she is OK now-I had been checking every hour or so I am sure for updates!
Phew
Bobbi

Genny
August 21st, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm so exhausted that I'm on my way to bed. I'll keep you all updated on her progress.

meemeecyn
August 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
This is great news! Take care, Genny.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 22nd, 2012, 12:17 AM
Been looking all day for an update. What a scary exerience for all. I am so glad things are stable, here's hoping her recovery is quick and with no more crises!

quiltingtrish
August 22nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
How absolutely terrifying!! I am glad they finally stabilized her. I will keep her in my prayers for continued good recovery.

Hugs,

sewbizzy
August 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
Prayers going out to your gd and your family...
what a scary couple days you've had...

HandsOffItsMine
August 22nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Beyond word that this could happen from her surgery last week. What a shock. Thankful that she got such great Trauma care, God and her Guardian Angels were watching over her.

Prayers and healing light as she recovers. Hugs to you too and her Mom, both of you have to be exhausted.

Love, Ruby and Don

BellasQuilts
August 22nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
So, so glad to hear she is alright and she has my name too! God bless you all and what a relief. Have been praying all day for you.

K. McEuen
August 22nd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Glad to hear she is doing okay. Hard to believe all this happened. Hope you get a good nights rest.

lilmouse
August 22nd, 2012, 04:06 AM
Thank you Lord for her return home....may she continue to heal quickly and help the rest of her family recover from the shock!

rebeccas-sewing
August 22nd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Gosh! I got emotional just reading your post! What a scary experience for all of you. That poor child! How traumatic for her to go through such an ordeal. Thanks for letting us know what's going on. We'll hope and pray for a quick recovery.

Blondie
August 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Genny, thanks for the update. I, too, was looking to see where and what was going on. Hope that you were all able to get some much needed sleep and peace of mind.

quilter.martha
August 22nd, 2012, 07:41 AM
What a story, and how scary it must have been. Thank you Lord that she is on the mend. I don't understand how something like this can happen, but I am so thankful she'll be OK.

Monique
August 22nd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Genny, I echo all the sentiments here. What a scary time for all. Glad she is recovering and everyone can breathe a little easier now. Continued prayers for a speedy recovery.

bec
August 22nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Goodness! You'd never think that such a simple thing like having your tonsils taken out could lead to such a serious event. So glad that the hemorrhaging was stopped and she is on the road to recovery. Keep us posted.

CrazyMtnLady
August 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
So glad to hear she is doing much better. Will keep her in my prayers.

Sandy Navas
August 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I'm like Rebecca I'm so emotional I don't know what to say except Bless Her that God was with her and the family. We'll be continuing prayers. Get some rest and keep us posted.

GrammaBabs
August 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Prayers of thanks to God from here... it does make you appreciate your loved ones so much more, when you realize how close you've come to losing them.... He watches over us the best he can... i know that,,, So happy for how this all turned out for you.... hugs B

alliek
August 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
God's Blessings for healing

pcbatiks
August 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Genny, So glad to hear that your granddaughter is doing better. That must have been terrifying for all of you. Hope you all got much needed rest...and praying that she will continue to feel better and stronger each day!

madampolo
August 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
My husband was life flighted from a local hospital to one in Austin with double pneumonia. It turns out his situation was serious, but not so life threatening as your granddaughter's was. I just remember seeing my husband lift off in the helecopter. It was the worst feeling in the world. I then had to drive by myself to Austin, which took 1 1/2 hours not knowing his status. I am so glad they were able to help your granddaughter, and that she seems to be better now. Make her rest and heal up, and feed her soft food.

Loonwatcher
August 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
What a horrendous experience for you all. So glad she is home and on the mend.

sewmuchjan
August 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
So glad your DGD is home and doing better. Prayers and Hugs to you all.

auntiemern
August 22nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
So glad she is doing well. I can't imagine how scary that had to be. Continuing prayers for her and family.

Genny
August 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
Stopped to see Meg today after work and she was tired but seemed to be improving some.

I forgot to mention that the her surgeon told us that usually after having the tonsils out that the healing turns into a scab and small bits and pieces of it breaks off as the healing progresses. In Megs case the scab came off in one piece and therefore left a large open spot which is why she was hemmoraging. He said that there was a very small chance that it could happen again but usually doesn't. Hopefully it won't!

Genny
August 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
My husband was life flighted from a local hospital to one in Austin with double pneumonia. It turns out his situation was serious, but not so life threatening as your granddaughter's was. I just remember seeing my husband lift off in the helecopter. It was the worst feeling in the world. I then had to drive by myself to Austin, which took 1 1/2 hours not knowing his status. I am so glad they were able to help your granddaughter, and that she seems to be better now. Make her rest and heal up, and feed her soft food.

I am so sorry you had to go thru this alone, it really is the worst feeling in the world.

MRoy
August 22nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm so glad that Megan is better. Prayers will continue for her and for the family. You've all been through a terrifying experience!

carolv
August 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
So very, very happy she is doing better. Give her hugs and tell her to rest.

mommadeb
August 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Prayers to all of you and keep us updated. What a terrible experience. You're in all of our thoughts. Take care.

janluna
August 23rd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Genny, Prayers are going up for your GD. When you see her again tell her I said, "Megan, do not clear your throat!!!" Maybe next year she can! That poor kid! We'll keep saying healing prayers for her and you. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Madeforyouinma11
August 23rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
So happy to hear that she is doing better. Tell her to get lots of rest. Will have all of you in my prayers and hope the positive updates keep coming.

rebeccas-sewing
August 23rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Ice cream, protein shakes, yogurt, oatmeal, jello and I vote for more ice cream!!! Poor kid! I had my tonsils out in the days when they took them out just for the heck of it. Nowadays I don't think they remove them unless it's absolutely necessary. I still remember some of that experience and I was just a tiny thing. It obviously made a pretty big impression on me, and I don't think it's because it was a fantastic experience. So much of the day-to-day of our lives becomes a blur after time has passed. Experiences like this one will never be forgotten! On a positive note, she can add it to her arsenal of stories to tell about her youth. When she goes out on her first date and there's a lull in the conversation she can tell her story. LOL

Tell her your friends have been thinking about her and praying for her. Smile, Genny! She'll get through this okay.