PDA

View Full Version : need ideas

Donna F
August 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Ok so this is a new request gals. I am at home all day, lonely. No girlfriends that are able to visit very often. I see a couple once every month or so. DH works all day, I quilt, watch tv, do what I can cleaning in other words, boring & lonely. Well I get this great idea I want a doggie, actually I want a teacup Chihuahua! It's a small pup, minor messes to clean behind, easy to take outside, cheap to feed they don't eat much, and it's someone to talk to and snuggle with and when the peanut (dgs) is here, he won't eat him, well, at least the dog won't eat him lol. So last night I laid out my request to DH. DH loves dogs, more then anyone I know, cept me maybe. He has no problems with it except cost.

So basically what I'm asking is, DH has a 2 week vacation coming up, so that makes travel easy, I'm looking for your help with finding me one cheap. Within a reasonable distance from eastern PA. Reasonable meaning 2 day drive.. if we go, we can stay overnite at a hotel if we have to. Cost of the pup? I'm still not sure how high I could go. We did find a breeder close to here but they want $1,000!!!!!! I can't swallow that much less afford it. It would definately have to be less money than that, I am currently fighting for SSD. So what I'm hoping is someone here knows someone with these pups and are selling at a reasonable cost. I prefer a male but will take what I can get. Why not the SPCA you ask? Well I have health problems and a lot of it is walking. I cannot take the chance of a large or even medium size dog knocking me down and believe me its not hard to do. I just have a love for small doggies. I've had doggies all my life but the last one I had I let my daughter take with her when she moved to her dads. My dd and bambi (the pup) was so close and they love each other so much and even tho bambi was originally my puppy, they were connected in a way I would never want to see them be apart and they are still close. They sleep together every night and are always cuddling. Now its my turn, I want my own little fella to love, cuddle and hang out all day. So when DH goes on his business trips I will have my 5 inch protector!

To sum up my crazy post, if you know anyone that is looking for a good home for their less than 2 year old teacup chihuahua, within reasonable price, please let me know. I want one soo bad. Thanks for reading my crazy post!

Donna

GrammaBabs
August 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
i do know that almost all breeds have a "rescue" type situation... you know.... when someone gets one and can't handle a pet or any other reason...my son found a "pit bull" , he was the sweetest dog in the world... he was wandering in the traffic... DS... stopped his truck,,, took his dogs leash and popped him in the trunk... he kept the dog for almost 3 months... he has a beautiful Dobi as well,,, this was no small feat... although they ended up buddies..... DS,,, realized it was going to be too much for him.... he called several places... found ONE that would take him and promise not to put him down... they ended up renaging on their promise with an excuse that he "tested" badly.... my son, a recovering Alcoholic... went off the deep end.. he loved that dog... all is well now,, than God,,, but my point is that there are places looking to find homes for dogs... i hope you can find just what you need... there is nothing like the love of an animal.... check pet shops and shelters.... they sometimes have info that you need... Good Luck..

Tamara J Liddell
August 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Expensive but ohhhhh soooo cute...
http://www.chihuahuapups.org/chihuahua-litters.html

And here are some others in Pa.
http://www.hoobly.com/12030/1747/0/

Just be careful and make sure they are Vet Checked as quickly as possible.

K. McEuen
August 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Check the local Humane Society and pounds. I know out here they have a lot of chihuahuas for adoption. If you aren't planning on showing or breeding the dog, do you really need one with AKC papers?

pcbatiks
August 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I would check the animal shelter....so many dogs need a home. They could probably help you pick out one that was calm and not likely to jump on you. Both of our dogs are pound puppies and we love them to pieces!

HandsOffItsMine
August 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Excellent idea to keep you company. Our Phoebe (adopted by the folks who bought our La Verne house) is a long haired Chihuahua, weighs less than 4 lbs and 10 years old. Rocky, a rescue and 3.5 pounds/5 years old, is with Zander's grandparents in Upland as they have a teacup Chi named Rex, he only weighs in at 2 lbs at that. We also had Sophia, a Pom who was under 3.5 pounds on average, she lived 'till 13. Jacque, our Papillon, was the heavy weight at 11 pounds. lol Paps can be very protective and Jacq got adopted by the owner of the Rescue center, she fell in love with him and he liked her within 5 minutes.

If you can find a teacup or small size breeder who has some sires/bitches that have show lines - they will cost, but they do sell pups that doesn't have show markings for far less. The good thing is that the pups aren't over-bred, will have great disposition. You are a stay at home person, have at dogs before, something a breeder looks for when looking for a good home for their babies. :) You might be able to get a great price if they like you.

The rescue centers - pounds, a great place to look for ChiChi's - lots of them, even purebreds. Take a Chi book with you, look at their paws, look at their legs, do you want an apple head? Don't believe anything they say about their mix if you are picky about what you want. When we got Rocky, I saw him on Craigslist and he looked like a deer, he was posted by a Rescue worker and the Vet was ready to put him to sleep by his owner, Rocky's sister was already put down. I met the woman at a midpoint and was going to foster him 'till I found him a home. He stayed for a year 'till Zander's grandparents took over when we moved, with the understanding that if we move back to the Mainland and he jumps in our car...he's coming with us. :)

The point? Rescues have great dogs, even tiny Chihuahuas, without papers and really papers don't mean you'll have a great dog. I had a Schnauzer with top papers, paid a mint to train with him, meds, etc. - like children, no guarantees. We had 4 dogs at one time, I can touch one hundred dogs in a row, but then I touch that one dog and he/she speaks to me...it won't matter where it is, the pet store, pound, breeder - that will be the one who steals my heart. Hence, 4 dogs! :D

You'll know too!

Huggers, Ruby - Good luck finding your baby!

Donna F
August 20th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I would check the animal shelter....so many dogs need a home. They could probably help you pick out one that was calm and not likely to jump on you. Both of our dogs are pound puppies and we love them to pieces!

I have checked all the local shelters and all they have is large dogs. I dont need one with AKC papers just want to make sure it's healthy.

Donna F
August 20th, 2012, 06:17 PM
It's also not a point of it jumping on me, it's me taking care of it too. Also if I'm out walking it and need to pick it up for any reason I can't pick up a dog over 10 lbs.

Donna F
August 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Expensive but ohhhhh soooo cute...
http://www.chihuahuapups.org/chihuahua-litters.html

And here are some others in Pa.
http://www.hoobly.com/12030/1747/0/

Just be careful and make sure they are Vet Checked as quickly as possible.

thank you for the links. There are some cute ones.

Lonna
August 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Go to petfinder.com they have lots of dogs listed. Dont know your zipcode so could not see what was in your neck of the woods.

pcbatiks
August 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Donna, Just had another thought........try calling the different vet offices in your area. A lot of them have bulletin boards with pets needing a home.

Donna F
August 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I think I will try to find one through a vet. I know a couple that found a pet that way. My husband has a childhood friend that works with the SPCA in VA and she is looking for one too for me. No luck yet.

Lonna
August 20th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Donna I just went over to petfinders and they had hundreds list. Not all were pure chi but a lot were.

bobw103
August 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I echo the rescue/pet finder etc. You can also google your breed/rescue and you will find them there as well. Good luck and we want pictures-weight-height-name etc etc...haha.

Bobbi-another dog lover

Blondie
August 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Donna,
I have a chi chi, my little miss piggy Gracie whom I rescued from my Mom last year. She is now three years old and is such a treasure. She isn't a mini or a toy or a tea cup. although when Mom purchased her they said she was a toy. Heckfire shoot, I can fatten up anything. And she is an apple head. Oh I just LOVE HER! I would have never been a chi chi person but Gracie is my sweet baby. Good company, easy to care for and so much personality. She is eternally hopeful (for treats and playtime), the truly happiest dog I have ever had.

Now, I have a friend that works for my vet and that is always a good place to call first. Also, the local pound as so many folks have to place their pets there when they move unfortunately. Before we found Gracie, we kept checking all the above.

Here she is the day we went with Mom to pick her up.

Here she is now in her Daddy's arms.

Can you tell I am a proud Mama? She even takes after me, since she is bossy with DD's poochies who come to play every day.

Donna F
August 20th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Aww Blondie how adoreable!!! I want one I want one

HandsOffItsMine
August 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Ohhh Gracie is so cute.

Here's my Phoebe & Sophie. Phoebe is a long-haired Chi. Trying to find Rocky when he looked like a deer.

Blondie
August 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Ruby, I can tell that my Gracie is MUCH larger than your wee ones. They are absolutely adorable! My folks had a few chi chi's before Gracie. One was a long hair toy who lived to be 20. He would TALK. I swear he could say I love you! Their next one was one I always thought looked like a deer. I used to tease Daddy because she was HIS dog. Her name was D.D. I told him that meant Devil Dog. She wouldn't let anyone anywhere near Daddy. She was cute but not anywhere near the personality that Gracie has. Gracie loves everyone and thinks everyone loves her.

Donna, you've got it bad. Go for it. You'll never be able to match the love and devotion of a dog. (Well, maybe if you had a ragdoll kitty like my Dinah - but naw, get a chi chi. Dogs are always ready to snuggle)

Ohhh Gracie is so cute.

Here's my Phoebe & Sophie. Phoebe is a long-haired Chi. Trying to find Rocky when he looked like a deer.

Musical_Starling
August 21st, 2012, 06:09 AM
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23566430

Not sure how far this little guy is from you :) Try petfinder.com and petango.com, they list animals from a variety of shelters and you just put in your zip code and it'll do all the work. I'd be a little weary of breeders as not all of them are on the straight and narrow and you may find a lot of health issues due to inbreeding. On Petango.com you can even just choose "small" dogs instead of a specific breed, so maybe you'll find a mix that works well for you too :) My sister just adopted two yorkies, and they stay quite small as well. Good luck!

Donna F
August 22nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
I'm digging at DH to go get me one. I want one SO bad!! Maybe Santa will love me enough?? I'm going to keep at DH everyday until he cracks! I can have one no doubt, I just have to talk him out of the funds$$. :icon_heh:

bkthomas
August 22nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
Tell him it will be a lot less than the looney bin he will have to put you in if he doesn't get you a 4 legged friend!!!

HandsOffItsMine
August 22nd, 2012, 01:06 AM
I'm digging at DH to go get me one. I want one SO bad!! Maybe Santa will love me enough?? I'm going to keep at DH everyday until he cracks! I can have one no doubt, I just have to talk him out of the funds$$. :icon_heh:

Just tell him it will cover Bday, Anni, Xmas and Valentine's for a year, plus "2 get "Out of The Dog House Trips"! Normally, it's the last quote that does it for Don...

Donna F
August 22nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Lol Ruby I like the way you think!

janluna
August 23rd, 2012, 04:59 AM
I would love to get a cavapoo. They are so darn cute. And they don't get over 20 pounds. They are also very sweet tempered. Good luck with your Chi search. Make sure you don't end up with a puppymill baby. They can be pretty sick and inbred. I'll pray for you to find one in your price range, who needs you. Hugs, Jan L.

alwaysinmyroom
August 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I found my big old Bear (88 pounds!) through petfinder! It took a few weeks but well worth it!

Just a reminder that most rescue dogs might have a few issues caused by some sort of traumatic event ( ours was left outside for six weeks, chained with no food or water because the couple divorced...)...they need extra love and patience...

I wish you the best---a dog is a friend for life!