PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem normal?

Genny
August 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
My 19 year old grandaughter had her tonsils and adnoids taken out a week ago tommorow. Shes still in so much pain she doesn't eat anything and drinks very little water. The doctor has her on some really strong pain medicine which makes her sleep almost all the time. When my daughter (grandaughter's mother) called the doctor Saturday afternoon he said this was normal.

For those of you that had this done or know any adults that has, does this seem normal? I know that with very young children that the recovery time is much less but not sure about adults.

bakermom
August 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
One of my young co-workers had his out last year(19-20yrs old) he had a bit of a rough time too. He actually lost weight cause he couldn't eat. He did bounce back after a week or so.

buckeyequilter
August 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
My daughter had hers out a couple years ago (28 years old) and she had a rough time. Took a while before she could eat much of anything and even drinking anything for a week or so difficult.

Sandy Navas
August 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Same here - DD had her's taken out when she was about 25 and said it would have been easier to put up the the bouts of tonsillitis. I have always heard that it is more difficult for adults. Does she have a follow-up appointment though - just to make sure she didn't get another infection while in surgery? Far fetched, but possible.

Sunnyok
August 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I was 22 when I got mine out and I was down for almost 2 weeks. Had no interest in eating, and scared to drink cause it hurt so bad. Still after the 2 weeks I had referred pain from my throat to my ears so any loud noise brought tears to my eyes.
It does get better, and I would say its normal.

Bubby
August 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out at age 16 and it really is much harder when you are older. I remember how sick I was and I got an ear infection on top of it! Can she eat some ice cream and let it soothe her throat some? You really don't have to swallow much with ice cream. Barb

Genny
August 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Same here - DD had her's taken out when she was about 25 and said it would have been easier to put up the the bouts of tonsillitis. I have always heard that it is more difficult for adults. Does she have a follow-up appointment though - just to make sure she didn't get another infection while in surgery? Far fetched, but possible.

I don't know about the follow up but I'll ask my daughter. I know that my daughter takes grandaughter's temperature daily and she doesn't have one. Maybe I'm just a worrier...

Genny
August 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Thank you everyone, this does make me feel a little better.

RiverMomm
August 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
This is very normal. I had mine out at the age of 23-and it was and still is one of my most painful surgeries (it topped my cancer surgery that I had later in life that was 9 hours long).

I found that ice cream was too creamy. Clear popsicles were good -think the cheap kind that doesn't have fruit bits, etc. I ended up wanting yellow (banana flavored) popsicles all the time. And my doctor suggested that I swallow a small amount of liquid baby Tylenol, just enough to coat the back of my throat. That seemed to help a little.

Bethy
August 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I agree with Vicky. Popsicles will be the easiest for her deal with. Recently retired after working in the OR for 32 years and popsicles were given to every patient having this type of surgery, young and old. Your throat is irritated by the breathing tube as well as the surgery but very important to keep hydrated.
Beth

a1angiem
August 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
omg, this sounds AWFUL! I'm so glad I'll never have THAT surgery! Wow! Genny, I hope she feels better soon! I'm glad too that others here have experience with this and made you feel better. I would've been worried too! If the popsicles don't work, how about vodka?? lol!

buckeyequilter
August 20th, 2012, 03:59 PM
LOL - I forgot about the popsicles. I think my daughter lived on popsicles for a week or 2 and then graduated to jello and pudding. Then to instant mashed potatoes and gravy. I think once she tried to eat a potato chip and that didn't work out real well for her.

Genny
August 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ok, right after my last post we had to rush my granddaughter to the ER, she was bleeding heavily. She told us that she had coughed and then started bleeding. Her bleeding has stopped and they think that maybe a scab had torn off when she coughed. My daughter is at the hospital with her and they're waiting for her surgeon to call from Des Moines to say whether or not to bring her to Des Moines. I'll let you know what they decide, for now I'm a wreck!

csarina
August 20th, 2012, 05:15 PM
My eldest gaughter had her tonsils out at 18, she was told to gargle with soluble asprin 15 minutes before she was eating. It worked for her.

She was not allowed out of hospital until she could eat a round of toast, it took her 2 hours but xhe managed it, she was so desperate to get home!!! Clear lollies made with dilute orange was something that helped too.

RiverMomm
August 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, this is normal too. She probably had pretty big tonsils and a large scab. While it will hurt more for a bit, getting rid of that scab will help her throat. This happened to me too. I was a pathetic mess. My husband went all over town looking for yellow popsicles (in the middle of winter). It really does take two weeks to just to begin to feel better.

On a positive note, she won't be sick all the time. I used to lose my voice and be really sick every year around Christmas. Haven't had that since the surgery . . . ummm . . . 30 years ago.

Ok, right after my last post we had to rush my granddaughter to the ER, she was bleeding heavily. She told us that she had coughed and then started bleeding. Her bleeding has stopped and they think that maybe a scab had torn off when she coughed. My daughter is at the hospital with her and they're waiting for her surgeon to call from Des Moines to say whether or not to bring her to Des Moines. I'll let you know what they decide, for now I'm a wreck!

Genny
August 20th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I just talked to my daughter and they're back home. Granddaughter has to go to Des Moines tomorrow to see her surgeon. I'll keep you all up to date.

Thanks for all the advice and just for listening, oh and by the way, granddaughter is eating a popsicle as we speak!

SuziC
August 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM
My son had his out at age 17 and it took quite a while for him too. They say the older you are, the longer it takes to heal.
I wish you her the very Best!

K. McEuen
August 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I had mine out when I was 4. All I remember was the hospital had the worst lime jello I ever ate. My mom asked why I wasn't eating it because I loved jello. I picked up a cube of it and threw it across the room, it bounced off the wall and halfway back to my bed. The crap was like rubber, I couldn't bite it! I was pretty much back to eating normal 3 days later when I went home.

I have heard before that adults have a much harder time with it. I'm glad I had mine out early.