PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Gourmet!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Who says you have to live in the country to enjoy wildlife! I've seen more here in suburbia than I did when I lived in the country. Well, maybe that's not true, but I've seen my share, and up close and personal!

Breakfast entree with garnish! Very fresh! Caught by Al, the cat, great hunter this morning, and dropped on my kitchen floor!
Mole attack, I have 11 of these traps in my yard, trying to catch the varmint that has dug up my entire front, back and side yards, and has now moved on to the neighbor's house to dine!
This hitchhiker was in my son in law's truck for a full day. He drove to work with it in the engine compartment, had the truck parked all day at work, and when he came home, his dog was going crazy sniffing the truck. He found this raccoon quite firmly ensconced in the engine compartment. They called animal control, and the guy poked it a bit, but they started the truck up and the varmint jumped out and escaped to the neighbor's yard! Probably where it came from in the first place, since the neighbors have a junkyard in their backyard (called up by the health department more than once!)

It's fun to live in the city!

Monique
August 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

We had a little mouse, about 1in long, trying to crawl across the living room floor the other day. I noticed it first. This little guy had been into the poison because he was staggering and could not walk without falling over. Hubby picked it up with an envelope and of course dropped it three times trying to get outside with it. Did I say ewwwwwwww!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

We had a little mouse, about 1in long, trying to crawl across the living room floor the other day. I noticed it first. This little guy had been into the poison because he was staggering and could not walk without falling over. Hubby picked it up with an envelope and of course dropped it three times trying to get outside with it. Did I say ewwwwwwww! Were you standing on a chair, screaming EWWWW, like all the ladies in the cartoons do? I've always been the wildlife removal crew in my family, so there is no standing on a chair screaming for me, it's out to the garage for the removal tools for this chick!

Kids will never let me forget when we caught a mouse in a trap in our basement on Christmas Day. It was so tiny that the trap just caught his tail, and he was sitting there looking at us when we found him. Then there was the dilema of how to make the final fatal blow to the little guy, or to just let him go! We decided a watery demise would do. Then they accused me (for years, even to this dday) of killing Santa Mouse! I am so cruel!

CrazyMtnLady
August 19th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Jean, I would gladly trade you our visitor for either the mole or the racoon. DH was working outside yesterday and was taking the backhoe off the tractor and I went over to see if he needed my help and almost stepped on this little Hognose snake and I was wearing flip flops. When we first saw him he had a frog's head in his mouth. The frog was about 5 times the size of the snake's head.
26557 I screamed like a little girl. DH put him in a gallon glass jar so he could take picture and then let him go. He was only about a foot long...but long enough to scare me!

nurrsey
August 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Too funny Jean, hope your day progresses nicely!!

rebeccas-sewing
August 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM
It is surprising how many critters come into well-populated neighborhoods. We've certainly had our fair share of opossums, raccoons, coyotes, rats, mice, black widows, lizards, etc. I've heard that we've encroached on their habitat and they haven't adjusted. I think they come looking for water and food when the weather doesn't provide for them. I know they are a nuisance but it still pulls at my heart strings when we find baby animals drowned in our pool.

MRoy
August 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Jean, you're my kinda gal! Did the mole traps actually work? They're still a big nuisance here.

Donna, there is no way I would (or could) hold a snake in my hand...I'm crazy terrified of them. I ran over a small one with the mower this week...several times to make sure it was very, very dead!

A raccoon crawled up onto DH's truck motor a few years ago. We had a Jack Russell at the time and he was going wild so DH raised the truck hood and the chase was on.

EnumclawGramma
August 19th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Jean I've had a mole harassing me all Summer. He has made at least 25 holes in my front yard. DH set a trap and I think he got him. No "evidence" but the digging mysteriously stopped. Ugh.

A week or so ago my DD woke at 4:30 to the sound of something rustling in the bushes right outside her bedroom window. She could hear it (whatever IT was) chewing and swallowing! (Freaky, huh?) Everyone assumed it was a deer, until we went to check the area under the window. Oregon Grape! I'm thinking bear as there was a LOT of crushed down vegetation around it. A deer would be more....careful.

And I finally saw my first deer this year munching on fallen apples from our tree. They come every year and I LOVE it! They're so pretty, I could sit and watch them all day.

My cat is indoor only, so if she ever saw a mouse I am sure she would have NO idea what to do with it!

Sandy Navas
August 19th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Oh, animal stories. Why did you have to pull my chain today?

Took my car in for service one day - change the filters, oil, etc. Mechanic came in carrying my carburetor cover and nestled inside was a beautiful little nest with three or four tiny mice. He said when he took the cover off the momma jumped out and escaped. Took the babies out and gently placed them in the grass where he had last seen Momma.

Got a call from a friend one day - I'd best go check on my Mom as she was confused and had called saying she'd been bitten on the foot. Some wild animal came up on her back porch to eat cat food. Mom ran out and attempted to chase it away. It turned and bit her foot - so she stomped it to pieces. When I got to Mom's there were two sheriff cars, an ambulance, animal control, and quite a few neighbors and friends. I had to park at the end of her driveway and walk in because of all the traffic. Tests finally came back telling us the animal was not rabid.

Libby, I have told in the past about how to tell if it was a black bear or a grizzly. Do a search for pepper spray.

Moles normally come into your yard in search of grubs (larvae stage of June Bugs), or other ground insects. Once the attraction is gone they move on. I just look at their presence as a way of getting my yard aerated for free . . . drives our neighbor to the south nuts though.

lilmouse
August 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
We have a skunk living under our shed....and know when it gets disturbed....have seen it several times...I see skunk and in the house I go.....we have critters here too and I live in the city...one of the older parts of the city. I have had deer run alongside my car....seen raccoon and mice...have held snakes and tarantulas in my hand.....(back when I lived in AZ) the most unusual would have to be when we pulled into the drive and a herd of wild pig were there....didn't get out of the truck until they disappeared as in pack formation they will attack! (Can't think right now what they are called but run wild in the desert in AZ)

Jean Sewing Machine
August 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
We have a skunk living under our shed....and know when it gets disturbed....have seen it several times...I see skunk and in the house I go.....we have critters here too and I live in the city...one of the older parts of the city. I have had deer run alongside my car....seen raccoon and mice...have held snakes and tarantulas in my hand.....(back when I lived in AZ) the most unusual would have to be when we pulled into the drive and a herd of wild pig were there....didn't get out of the truck until they disappeared as in pack formation they will attack! (Can't think right now what they are called but run wild in the desert in AZ)Pecarinos? I think that is the wild pig that live in the desert.

janluna
August 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
We have a giant size ground hog that lives at the end of our house. He ate every single Lily I had. Then started on my Hostas. We get deer in the winter. And of course a rabbit travels with her. I also get a Mama Pheasant looking for food when it has snowed. I have picked up more king snakes and tossed them in the field next door. I won't let anyone hurt them cause they are great mousers. And we have copperheads. Those I kill. We also have wild turkeys.
My favorite are the birds and the deer. The chickadees will come and eat right out of my hand. We have chipmunks, skunks. The one Skunk took up residence under our front deck. I was afraid to let Max out. It was out during the day and night. We called animal control because we feared he or she, could be rabid. We waited forever for A. C. to show up. Finally, it walked out in the road and got hit by a car. No more bad smell. However, I laughed when they came to get it. It really reeked by the time A.C. showed up. They had to take it and dispose it. Served them right for taking days to come and catch it. Max was happy his area was free of the stink too. He didn't want to go out when it sprayed either. It would walk along the fence line on his 1/4 acre and spray the fence. I'm the one that kills the snakes. Joe has a real fear of them. But that's ok, as I make him take out the wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. We leave the honey bees alone. I'm terrified of the bees. Doesn't it make you wonder why some can handle snakes but not bees? Bees, but not snakes? Weird huh? Oh well. Guess I'm rambling on. Sorry bout that. Oh yea, we also have beautiful foxes, and coyotes. So far, no bears. They get them in town. Alright, I'll shut up now! Hugs, Jan L.

Sandy Navas
August 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM
There were two skunks, one named In and One named Out. Once, In and Out went out to play. Out went in and his Momma said to Out, "Bring In in." So Out went out, got In, and they went in. Their mother was happy to see them. She asked Out, "How did you find In so fast?" And Out said, "Instincts."

Q: What do you get if you cross an elephant and a skunk?
A: I don't know but you can smell it coming from miles away.

Baby Skunk: "Mother, can i have a chemistry set?"
Mother Skunk: "What! And smell up the house?"

Q: What did the judge say when three skunks walked into the courtroom?
A: "Odor in the Court!"

Q: What is black and white and blue all over?
A: A skunk at the north pole

Q: What did the fish say to the skunk after it fell in the pond?
"Stink or Swim!"

Q: Where does a skunk sit in a church?
A: In a Pew

CrazyMtnLady
August 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Sandy, you are always so ready with the funnies. :)

madampolo
August 19th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I wish you would have picked a different title for this thread. It was not what I was expecting! Breakfast is my favorite meal.