PDA

View Full Version : I got a Mehndi!

Divine Daisy
August 17th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Today I went out to blow some cobwebs away, my car knows its own way to Bombay Stores which is one of my favorate fabric shops and thats where I found myself.

It is the end of Ramadan today and great celebrations were occuring Bombay Stores including Mehndi. I have watched this amazing craft so often and today as my heart was so heavy I decided to indulge myself. So here I sit with beautiful henna designs on both hands. It was hard to drive without it smudging because I didn't wait for it to dry. I was worried about getting back to Mr D but I have dainty flowers and swirls and I love it.

Mr Daisy's reaction?

I walked in a did a ta daaaaaaaaa. He looked at me and said.......... lovely pet, once a hippy always a hippy huh?

pfffffffffffft to him!

GrammaBabs
August 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm glad you did something on a whim..... sometimes in life we just need that... how about a picture... sounds pretty funky!!!!

SuziC
August 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Good for you. Sounds like it turned out to be a good day for you!!!

Sandy Navas
August 17th, 2012, 07:45 PM
All the time I lived in the middle east and I never had that done. I'm surprised that they let you close . . . did you pretend that you were not Jewish? Inquiring minds want to know.

If I may be graphic - working in an office with females from SA I became quite convinced that when they did the henna parties that they also henna'd their tushies because the toilet rings would turn orangy . . . Oh, I am so bad.

I am so glad you did something for YOU! I probably would have bought 20 yards of fabric . . .

CrazyMtnLady
August 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
So glad you did something for yourself. And there is nothing wrong with being a hippy!

HandsOffItsMine
August 17th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Oh me jealous! I would have done it too if I was with you. Don would have probably had a similar reaction. lol "WTF is wrong with you!" :D

Divine Daisy
August 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
All the time I lived in the middle east and I never had that done. I'm surprised that they let you close . . . did you pretend that you were not Jewish? Inquiring minds want to know.

If I may be graphic - working in an office with females from SA I became quite convinced that when they did the henna parties that they also henna'd their tushies because the toilet rings would turn orangy . . . Oh, I am so bad.

I am so glad you did something for YOU! I probably would have bought 20 yards of fabric . . .

want me to ask my friends if they henna their Marys?

sewmuchjan
August 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM

[/QUOTE] want me to ask my friends if they henna their Marys? [/QUOTE] from Mrs. D.

OMG ROTFLAMO OH YOU TWO CRACK ME UP!!! no pun intended!!!!! LOL :icon_heh:

Glad you did something for you Mrs. D. and there is nothing wrong with being an Ol Hippy or an Ol Flower Child either!!! Nothing at all.. :D RIGHT ON! MAN!!!! Groovey!!!!! :icon_cool:

Hugs, and I gota split now, just be cool Man!
Jan G. lill old flower child me!!! hehehe :icon_hi:

Jean Sewing Machine
August 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
OMG, I've always wanted to have this done! This is the hand decoration that they do with henna, right? I have many middle eastern women in my classes, also Indian, and other cultures where they do it. So cool that you got it done! I'm sure you're glam to the hilt. No dishwashing for you, girl!

EnumclawGramma
August 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM

She didn't really say she didn't buy 20 yards of fabric though......did she?

Monique
August 17th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Had no clue what you were talking about. I thought you bought a new sewing machine. LOL!! I googled it, definitely NOT anything to do with sewing. Looks pretty cool. Could we see a picture?

EnumclawGramma
August 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM
#1 GOOD for YOU for doing something for yourself! Feels good, doesn't it?
#2 I LOVE the way Mr. D calls you "Pet". It's cute and it makes me smile every time I read it, like I can almost hear him!
#3 Is hippie a BAD thing? :icon_confused: (anyone else besides me an old(er) hippie?) :icon_hiya:

Winniesfriend
August 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM
LOL good for you Mrs D. glad you had fun.

Divine Daisy
August 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM
#1 GOOD for YOU for doing something for yourself! Feels good, doesn't it?
#2 I LOVE the way Mr. D calls you "Pet". It's cute and it makes me smile every time I read it, like I can almost hear him!
#3 Is hippie a BAD thing? :icon_confused: (anyone else besides me an old(er) hippie?) :icon_hiya:

'pet' is a Geordie endearment lol. It doesnt mean I am his pet ........ although if thats what pushes your buttobs........but his love his darling. my Dad always called me pet, i call everyone i love pet. What can i say we are geordies and proud!

Lonna
August 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM
So glad you did something on a whim. There is a couple every year at our local Renfest who do that I have always wanted to get it done maybe this year. And not a thing being a hippy. My mother always calls me her little hippy child.

Bubby
August 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
What a wonderful and whimsical treat for you! I did that once in the 60's...fun and fabulous!

K. McEuen
August 17th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I'm like Monique. Didn't know what you were talking about at first.

Of the henna designs I've seen on people I've always thought they were rather cool looking. Kinda got a chuckle when Barb said she did it once in the 60's. In the 60's my mom would have beat my butt for drawing on myself.

nurrsey
August 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM
How fun for you....enjoy the looks you will probably get from people!!!

aliaslaceygreen
August 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cool!! It's a beautiful art, isn't it?

BellasQuilts
August 18th, 2012, 12:50 PM
If I was there, I would have done it too. Interesting about SA women doing it on their tush, never would have thought of it.

Sandy Navas
August 18th, 2012, 03:56 PM
If I was there, I would have done it too. Interesting about SA women doing it on their tush, never would have thought of it.

I am not positive about this - but I did often wonder . . .

janluna
August 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM
How very cool Alison! It is very pretty I'm sure. Tell Stewart us old hippies are rubbing off on you and he better come home quick, and very healthy, to save you from us!! Tell him we have corrupted you. LOL (((((((((((((Alison & Stewart)))))))))))))))))

Meli
August 19th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty certain I would have henna tats most of the time if not for one thing: DH. He is from a small town in central Utah, with DEEEEEEEEP farmer/cowboy roots. His father was raised on a homestead on the Utah/Nevada border (google "Gandy, Utah" to see where), his grandfather started the homestead in the 1920s. His g-g-g-grandfather founded the little town of Nephi, Utah, after traveling across country. He's a little too traditional to be comfortable with my latent hippie tendencies, so I try to keep them under control.

Daisy, SO GLAD you did something fun for yourself, even if Mr. D did make a smart-alek comment about it, but I'm pretty certain that's part of why you love him. Give him a big hug for me and be sure to get one in return!

rebeccas-sewing
August 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
My older daughter spent 6 months in India with Joe when she was just out of high school. While there she got to attend an Indian wedding. The women must've been very taken with her. They did henna on her hands and dressed her in full Indian attire (sari etc.). When the wedding came to it's conclusion they made a present of the clothing for Joanna to always keep in remembrance of the occasion. We have some really lovely pictures of her hands and a pic of her all dressed up in the clothing!

phoots
August 20th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Daisy, I have to tell you...I really love that man of yours!!!

Pam in Vegas

Poppytree
August 20th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Today I went out to blow some cobwebs away, my car knows its own way to Bombay Stores which is one of my favorate fabric shops and thats where I found myself.

It is the end of Ramadan today and great celebrations were occuring Bombay Stores including Mehndi. I have watched this amazing craft so often and today as my heart was so heavy I decided to indulge myself. So here I sit with beautiful henna designs on both hands. It was hard to drive without it smudging because I didn't wait for it to dry. I was worried about getting back to Mr D but I have dainty flowers and swirls and I love it.

Mr Daisy's reaction?

I walked in a did a ta daaaaaaaaa. He looked at me and said.......... lovely pet, once a hippy always a hippy huh?

pfffffffffffft to him!

What a fabulous thing to do - I was a bit of a hippy too (gosh - 50 years ago) but dear Clive would not be so amused - he's not the least bit artistic and HATES tattoos so anything that looks vaguely like one would not make him a happy bunny! I think Mehndis are beautiful and loved the ones a friend of mine at keep-fit has done before her wedding

JerriF
August 21st, 2012, 08:35 AM
I love Mehndi tattoos too, I used to make ones for me too. Although they didn't last long I loved them!