PDA

View Full Version : Kitten

brook
August 17th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Well, I've done it! I've committed myself to take one of the kitten's that my son's family has. I haven't had a cat in about 50 years and I had one dog until 1993. (roughly) This is a huge step for me. They are just so cute and since I'm home much of the time I thought maybe this might work. So, I went to Petco today. I couldn't believe how may litter boxes there were! I never realized cats needed privacy to poop. But since this is a kitten, finding a low enough box for her to get into narrowed the field. Then the litter!! With scent, without scent, Clump or not to clump,etc,... brand after brand after brand! Food... I was able to narrow it down to "kitten" brands. Choose the bowls were easy (thankfully). Then there's finding the right scratching pole, cardboard, with or without a attachable toy or not, one that lays flat, or hang on a door. But the draw for catnip seemed to be in about everything. Hmmm?

All that being said, I think I did well, and I think I'll enjoy having her around. Never had an inside pet so this will be interesting.

Thanks for letting me share. I may need moral support down the road. : )

HandsOffItsMine
August 17th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Oh, you'll love having a kitten in the house. :) We miss having a pet, it's not the same without one.

You did a great job at Petco. lol There's a lot of choices out there to spoil your little baby. Have fun with her/him.

What's the baby's name and don't forget to post a photo.

Musical_Starling
August 17th, 2012, 04:37 AM
You'll love it! My youngest girl will be three months on Saturday, we got her a month ago at the SPCA. If you need any kitten tips, feel free to ask :) My family thinks I'm "the cat whisperer" lol One tip that will come in handy when the kitten gets to the 12 week mark is straws. Nice, big, thick milkshake straws lol When the kitten is teething, offer a straw and she'll leave your toes alone... Trust me... lol

Granny Judy
August 17th, 2012, 05:02 AM
check your power cords for "teething" marks. Our cats seem to love the vacuum sweeper one.

Monique
August 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Have fun with your new addition. I can only look at them from a distance.

quilter.martha
August 17th, 2012, 07:36 AM
We have 2 kittens who are 5 months old now. They have been the joy of my heart. I love them to death! You will get a lot of pleasure from watching your kitty play. Have fun!!!

kelliedi
August 17th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Well I have 4 cats all of whom I have raised from kittens. They can be the most entertaining animal I know and sometimes the most annoying too. Think 3 am and finding a bottle cap that they use for a hockey puck across the wood floor.....anyway enjoy her to bits..... BTW cats have to give every quilt their approval before it is giveable/saleable,,,,,you'll see.

Sandy Navas
August 17th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Litter recommendations? The CRYSTALS - last much longer and control odors better. Would go with nothing else - not even the perfurmey ones!

madampolo
August 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
We have four cats that go in and out of the house. Since there are so many cats, we have an automatic cat box that sweeps the litter after every use. It works well. I think the best thing is when one of them wants to snuggle, of course at her terms, not yours. Our cats don't go into where I make quilts, but they do like sitting or sleeping on the ones that are completed. I think you will fall in love quickly.

alwaysinmyroom
August 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Congrats on your new family member! Pets bring such joy to life! I can't imagine my home without them.

Remember to have your kitten spade or neutered. Millions of cats are put to death each year because there are too many to be adopted. I am sure you already know that as part of being a responsible pet owner, but as a rescue volunteer, it breaks my heart to see people bring in older cats because they got caught up by the cuteness of kittens and "forgot" that they grow up... :(

Sounds like you have started your baby on its way to a good, safe and happy life! Please show a picture...you now we can't resist "awwwwwwwwww's" ! :D

CrazyMtnLady
August 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
You are going to really enjoy having the kitten. I only have one cat that is indoors right now and the is Chester. He ran off because of Ava (the momma with 7 babies) and Hondo the other male. When he came home last Friday I decided he could stay in the house. I hate having a litter box in the house though.
2 of the kittens will be going down to the neighbors this week. I really need to find homes for the rest. DH keeps saying oh, we can keep this one and this one..........:( I love having the kittens, but I want Chester to be able to go outside (he thinks he is a dog and is really housebroken)

Have a wonderful time with your new baby.

lilmouse
August 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Congratulations....the time will come when you will wonder...how did I ever do without this kitten/cat?

alwaysinmyroom
August 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM
crazymtnlady--I installed a pet door to allow my boys to go in and out...they hang out in the forest behind my house or in the backyard...I have never had to have a litter box inside, even when they were kittens. All of them are neutered so they do not get into fights or wander too far from home. It was the best $30 spent!