PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday hellos

Blondie
August 16th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Howdy Doody, Folksies!
Okay, I just realised that I put Wed instead of Thursday - read below and you can see how I missed a day somehow . . . .
Wow, sometimes I think it is a good thing that I get an early start to my day. Take yesterday for example. After hubby left at about this time of morning, I made some more coffee, started a load of laundry, yadayadayada . . . fast forward to 8 a.m. Mom calls me and sounds horrible. oy. She got stung by a japanese hornet - you know those big meanies - so I ran down the hill. Her hand looked like a catcher's mitt and she could not walk well. Shoving benedryll down her throat and took her to the ER. Now you ask what else - while we were there, here comes my BIL with my Sis, blown up like a balloon. SHE had been stung by those nasty little ground hornets. She is highly allergic like our Daddy was. She was out of epi pen. Both girls are doing well by last night, just slept like logs all day from all the meds. Hospital said that the heat must be doing something to the insects because they lost count of all who came in the past few days with stings from all the various bees/wasps. Nasty stuff.

What I learned some time ago and still applies is this. Whenever you get up, after you have your coffee, please get dressed and presentable. You never know when you are going to get a phone call for help. If you think you are going to have a quiet day, let me assure you, if you stay in your jammies, planning to have a day to do nothing but love on Dinah the kitty while you do nothing but gorge on looking through UFO's and magazines, and you don't even care what you look like, I assure you, YOU WILL get an urgent call. Get up and get dressed folksies. And then remember, you're never fully dressed without a SMILE!

carolv
August 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM
What a day! Glad to hear they are doing well.

Lisaau
August 16th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hi Blondie ,

You know thats so true this morning aussie time l was lying in bed trying to go back to sleep had a bad night. and l thought l'll just lie here and go back to sleep and around 8.30pm there is 2 knocks on the front door. I scamper around putting on track pants over my pj's and l try to find a jumper (sweat shirt) to put on over my pj top all the while walking on tippy toes with my left leg and knee because l'm in agonising pain from my knee. finally got to the front door open the door and noone is there. I looked out the living room blinds noone around I was so angry and by this time it's around 9am and sugar my dog was demanding breakfast. Sigh!! so l stayed up and didnt get my extra and its now 8pm at night and l'm so tired ......Who knocks on a front door at 8.30am when all the blinds and curtains are still closed. ARGH!!!!

Monique
August 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Good morning everybody. Oh Blondie, I am so glad Mom and Sis are okay. Lisauu, that is just RUDE!! Sorry for you.

I did get out for my walk yesterday and went further than I usually do. I felt good but legs got a little sore throughout the day. Oh well. Laundry done, but did not cut the grass. It usually takes me 2 hours to do that and I have to do it early in the day. Worked more on the quilt. Not much exciting happening here.

Today I have a friend coming for coffee. I might try to get the grass cut as it is going to rain tomorrow. More quilting I think too. NEED to get that darn quilt done.

I wish you all a wonderful day!

bkthomas
August 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Never a dull moment at your house is there Blondie!

quilter.martha
August 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Gosh! Bee stings are going around. Last week one of my young kitties got stung right between the eyes. Oh she was miserable, and ever since she has not been the same. Her zestiness is just gone. I am so upset over it. And then Tuesday evening my son went out to mow and he "found" a bee nest in the grass with the mower. Got 2 stings behind the knee. I'm glad you got your mom to the ER, and the same for your sister. When you react to stings its no laughing matter.

Its been raining all night long. It sounded so nice to hear it in the night. Like everyone else, we need the rain. Wish I could share it with you all.

Bubby
August 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Good Morning,

And don't forget to wear clean undies! I had to get used to early callers at our front door when I moved back home to Missouri. Country folk get up way before the roosters and sun...by 9 am I've been up half a day and want lunch!!

Blondie, glad Mom and SIL are going to be fine. I think the insects are sensing the weather is about to change. I know the humingbirds are eating like little pigs and the ants have disappeared for the time being.

We are having a new storm door put on this morning and the guy said he would be here early, so I'm ready for him to show up for coffee. He said he would bring the donuts if I would make a pot! I think this is the guy who brings his dog to work with him.

I'm off to see the wizard for now. Wishing everyone a good Thursday! Barb

CrazyMtnLady
August 16th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Good morning! I am up way to early this morning, thank you TarButt! She has been having a problem keeping anything down. She is always chewing on sticks and anything else she can get a hold of, so we are hoping it is not some kind of obstruction giving her fits. I made her some soupy white rice last night and so far so good.

The bees/wasps and other stinging critters have really been out in droves lately. I got stung on my upper arm last Friday while my neighbor and I were sitting out on the deck. I looked like I had one good "Popeye" bicep! And boy did that thing hurt. I took Benadryl right away. Glad to hear your Mom and Sis are doing okay.

Yesterday morning I could see a big cloud of smoke up the road a ways but could not tell where it was coming from. With all the hills and curves around here I can't tell what direction I am going without a compass. DH got up and looked and called the fire department. They said they had looked but could not find the source? DH and I went to the neighbor's and luckily it wasn't their place, so DH and the neighbor went looking, they found the fire on the next road over and the fire department were finally there. It was back off the road in an old abandoned farmhouse. Probably set by kids. We were lucky it didn't catch the woods on fire because it would have spread to our road. I hope they find out who set it. The guy that owns the property lives in Florida and only comes up here for hunting season.

Probably not going to do much of anything today for my birthday. We went to town yesterday to run a couple errands. I think the neighbors may come down later this evening for a couple beers with me. I may get my way and go to the local Bar & Grill for a big juicy hamburger with sweet potato fries and a cold beer! :)

Hugs and prayers to all.

Lisaau
August 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM
((((((((((((Donna))))))))))) Happy Birthday

Deneldac00p
August 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Happy Birthday!! Can I go the the Bar and Grill too? Juicy hamburger and beer sounds mighty tempting!

quiltingtrish
August 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Happy Birthday Donna! It sounds like a wonderful day.

My morning is starting off with no milk for my coffee so I added a little of my orange dream blender. Just a smidgen since I need to head out for milk and a few other things.

Bee stings. They are awful and I'm glad you were up and moving to get your mom to the ER and also you were there for your sister. I remember when we first moved in here and the boys were little, like 5 and 6. Both of them stepped on a bees nest in the ground - what a circus trying to get them inside from down the hill out in the backyard. David froze after Michael told him to run so he had to go back and get him. Once inside the house and still screaming and being stung with bees inside their little shirts, filled the tub with water to wash away the stings. We soaked them in the tub and put blotches of baking soda and water mixed into a paste all over them. Fortunately they weren't allergic and the mixture worked. You couldn't tell they were stung over about 20 times each later that evening. Michael went out that night and burned the nest.

And here I sit in my jammies - better go and get ready for the day in case anyone needs me! Plus, there is lots to do today so I have to get a'crackin'!

Hugs to all,

CrazyMtnLady
August 16th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Lisa and Denalda thank you for the birthday wishes and Denalda...come on down.. the burgers are absolutely fantastic! And the beer is always ice cold!!!

Sandy Navas
August 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhh, what posts this morning. Where does one start? Glad Momma and SIL are recovering nicely. Those darned bees. We have found a few yellow jacket nests around here over the past few years - those hurt like crazy - luckily we only have one family member (right now that we know of, who is allergic to bee stings). Hoping for a slow down, recovery, and life back to normal soon on the hill.

Lisa - I would have run, not walked and thrown a bucket of cold water on anyone who would dare wake me when I was trying to get some much needed sleep. I've done that to Al many a time.

Martha, we just don't tolerate people who won't share the bounty from the sky. Quit hogging the rain and send some back this way. We were supposed to get rain yesterday but it disappeared somewhere between here and there.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DONNA!!! Wish I was close enough to come over and share a cold brew with you. I'll be there in spirit, anyway. Sure hope TarButt gets to feeling better. We have some stupid tree here that drops little nut-like things (I know my trees but not this one . . . )and DeeOGee eats them like crazy and then throws up all over the place. He hasn't learned yet that they aren't good for him.

I have to share that yesterday when I picked up the girls for art classes that I was waiting for one of them and I could smell this wood burning - you know, like it smells when the fire is burning down and just smoldering? It was very strong. So I made a call to DD from the car and asked if she'd noticed it. Nope. Got home with the girls and I could smell it here - very strong. Al said he could smell it, too. The girls even commented. We got to my art studio and sure enough the smell was very strong. But the sewing room was okay - until . . . until . . . Sierra walked in. She had cooked maple bacon for breakfast and then stood at the stove and ate it with her fingers . . . and had not washed her hands. Mystery solved.

So, Donna, a blessing that you found the source of the fire - that the fire department was there and got it contained. Darned kids with no source of entertainment and no sense or responsibility. Another story coming to the surface. I mentioned the other day (in one of my posts on Deb's vent) that he had these friends who used to drop in at dinner time and 'overstay' their welcome . . . I could write a book about them and probably should . . . and I'm sure everyone here wouldn't buy it . . . tell me to cool it and all that. Anyway, Bill and that wife divorced. He moved in with some lady who had a cabin in the Big Bear Lake region in southern California. She had four or five kids, he had four, together they were having a difficult time making ends meet. He came up with this brilliant idea that if he burned their house down they could collect the insurance and pay off the rest of their bills. So that's what he did . . . little did he think that the fire would get away and he burned thousands of homes and acres. The girlfriend couldn't contain herself as they barely made it out of the path of the fire, and turned him in. He spent 20 years in the pen paying for his mis-deeds . . . and then contacted us and wanted to come for a visit. NO WAY, JOSE.

Okay, since I've bored everyone enough, I had best get off here and make some plans for the days. Now if I can just get the girls to slow down, listen, and heed. I gave them painting instructions for acrylics yesterday and do you think they listened? No, everyone marches to their own drummer. Now, before anyone jumps on me about that comment, I LOVE people to have their own drum and bugle corps. However, there must be some rules adhered to for the outcome to be something you would want to hang on your wall . . . and if I can't even get their own Mother to appreciate it . . . (after all, she intentionally bought a stainless steel refrigerator so they couldn't hang pictures there with magnets).

Love you all, sending hugs, prayers, good wishes. Lisa, my dear, SHAKE A LEG (oh, how I wish you could). Blondie, here's to a full day of rest and recovery for everyone. Trish, don't do anything I wouldn't do. Have another BEER for me, Donna, and if you get up here I'll take you to get the VERY BESTEST EVER tenderloin sandwich you could ever imagine. AND that's only for lunch. Stay awhile and we'll have the VERY BESTEST EVER BBQ RIBS in the WWW (whole-wide-world).

LynneLeavell
August 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Donna Happy Birthday. Blondie I'm glad your mom and sis are doing better. Lisa I hope your knee is feeling better soon. Sorry whoever got you out of bed did not have the sense to hang around.

Hope all have a good day. Prayers going out to those who need it and to those who don't.

Madeforyouinma11
August 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Happy Birthday Donna!
Wow! I just spent the last hour catching up on the week..I think Monday was the last day I actually sat and spent time here. Other than that it's been a little bit here and there, but not much posting. This week I have been showing my daughter how to sew. She wants to make some Christmas gifts so we have been on a roll. She has already made a set of memory cards and is now working on a table runner. She is really doing a great job! I will post pics when it is done. I have been working on a sesame street quilt. I had a panel that I sandwiched and quilted. I shadowed the entire front so the image is on the back of the quilt. It came out nice but very time consuming. Just need to finish the binding, but that is handwork that will be done while watching tv with hubby. Today I will start on gifts for my friends for Christmas. We don't do much but I like to give them something small. I am going to make table runners to start, and maybe a couple of pot holders or trivets. I need to run to michaels either today or tomorrow to get what I need to make my Christmas cards and envelopes since that too was on my August list of accomplishments.
I think it was yesterday that Sandy talked about how you would know if something happened to one of our forum buddies...how would you ever find out? I have told my DD's and husband that they need to let you know and they also need to check on eBay and make sure I don't owe anyone money..LOL. most of the people I bid from on eBay let's me shop for 5-10 days before I pay so I can combine shipping. Anyway, had to throw that in there..lol Blondie, I'm glad mom and sis are doing better, and I too am going to get ready for my day. Hoping it's a productive one! Will check in later to see what else is going on. Keep those hands busy! :)

Lonna
August 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Happy Birthday Donna sounds like you have the best birthday dinner ever planner. I could go for a good bar burger and beer it has been awhile.

Slowly getting over this summer cold feel much better today. It is another work day here so nothing fun planned for me. Did fold a load of laundry this morning and got another into wash before leaveing the house. May pick up something from town for dinner tonight so I can have a little time in the sewing room this evening. Have a great day all.

HandsOffItsMine
August 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Blondie, so glad Mom and Sis got medical care early. Hope they are doing well today. :)

Donna, Happy BDay and make sure you get that burger and beer!

Lisa, healing light heading your way. Hate when that happens, no one at the door after you run to get there, so rude indeed!

SIL Matt is getting situated at his new job, new toys like Apple MaxbookPro and iPhone, the hour commute, lol not bad when you're excited about your work. I'm waiting to hear if he's taking all his Techie desk stuff yet. 'Cause in his interview one guy said "I have a very technical Front End question" and Matt preparing himself for wondering what it could be this or that..."What is your favorite Super Hero?" Totally caught Matt off guard. He recoverd quickly, not wanting be like everyone else with a standard Superman or Batman,came back with The Tick. They were all having a good laugh. I have already cross-stiched him a Star Trek Next Generation, when he got the job I designed a Tick head shot with Neat! NDN! (His new employer News Distribution Network www.NewsInc.com) That boy is going to fit in oh so well!! :D

Working on my commitments, so behind, these migraines and tension headaches are not letting up. Can't up the daily meds, they're at the max. Sure would be nice to get out of this cycle. :P

Normally I finish one complete project before moving onto the next, but with the headaches I can't work the quilt in long stretches, so little projects fill in between. Not really liking this method of working. Oh well, got to do what you got to do.

Like most of you, we need rain. Yes, even Paradise is getting dry and brown in areas. While we gone, there was a big Waianae Valley fire that came within one mile of our home. The mountain ridge in front of condo, actually less than a mile burned down to the bottom upto the golf course and to the back yards of some homes. It still looks strange in the morning. I look out and will think that the sun hasn't clear the mountain range yet and realize that it's the burned black ground not a shadow. We've had big, gray clouds pass overhead for the last week but no rain. We need rain, Sandy come on over to do a rain dance or hula with us. lol

Oh I hear Don getting up. Wonderful, coffee time. :)

Prayers and huggers, Ruby

lilmouse
August 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hi All,
My surgery went fine..so the Doc says....SO says it took over two hours...have four incisions....all of them glued closed and instructions not to lift anything heavier than a coffee mug....and no driving for a month...I am going to die....oh yeah; no stairs and I live in an upper flat...so he says take it slow! He did give me permission to sew but not all day....I never sew all day...I get up to cut and iron and get fresh coffee; that's not sewing all day...just most of it....am sore but expected that.....since my bloodwork was really pretty...I should heal quickly if I don't overdo it! snicker...I always over do it! I'll try to take it slow this time...have the incisions to remind me and do they ever!
Glad to hear Mom and sil are doing fine Blondie...Happy Birthday Donna....have a nice supper!.....hugs and prayers for everyone else...missed you guys yesterday!

Sandy Navas
August 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi All,
My surgery went fine..so the Doc says....SO says it took over two hours...have four incisions....all of them glued closed and instructions not to lift anything heavier than a coffee mug....and no driving for a month...I am going to die....oh yeah; no stairs and I live in an upper flat...so he says take it slow! He did give me permission to sew but not all day....I never sew all day...I get up to cut and iron and get fresh coffee; that's not sewing all day...just most of it....am sore but expected that.....since my bloodwork was really pretty...I should heal quickly if I don't overdo it! snicker...I always over do it! I'll try to take it slow this time...have the incisions to remind me and do they ever!
Glad to hear Mom and sil are doing fine Blondie...Happy Birthday Donna....have a nice supper!.....hugs and prayers for everyone else...missed you guys yesterday!

Heal quickly and definitely enjoy your time at home!!

Blondie
August 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Now listen to you big sissie, lilmouse. Magazines, chocolate, tv remote, netflix, laptop set to MSQC and youtube. Move over, I want a month like that.
Feel better soon, sweetie. Move slow, smile but don't laugh too hard . . . . yet

Hugs, prayers and oh so many well wishes for speedy healing and blessings

Blondie

Hi All,

Ginny B
August 17th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wow Blondie, what a morning! So glad that mom and sis are ok. Yes, it does seem that those bees and wasps get a bit cranky about now. Actually, I think wasps are always cranky. :(

Lilmouse, speedy recovery! Don't overdo it -- you can get lots of ideas by watching MS*QC videos, taking notes and just in general, browsing about. Then when you are up to moving about more, you'll be all set.

Donna, Happy Birthday! Hope that burger was really nice and juicy and that beer was nice and cold for you.

We had a late evening tonight. Dh has been complaining of a "headache" for a couple of days but it wasn't really in his head, more down at the bottom of his skull and right behind his ear. I said "Are you sure it's a headache and not an earache?" He said, well, I've never had an earache. So, he takes tylenol every few hours and I do lots of massaging his neck but the pain stays there. Then he says that he can sometimes hear his pulse in his ear and feels like a thumping.
He went to work anyway and then at lunchtime he says maybe I should go to the dr. because it just won't go away. So off we went to the Urgent Care clinic after dinner since his dr. is closed until Monday. They were very nice there and it didn't take us too long. Sure enough, he's got an ear infection and he is now on anti-biotics and some eardrops for the pain. He says he can never remember having an earache/ear infection before. He is sleeping now and I'm able to catch up here for a bit.

Happy almost-Friday everyone. And I'm excited because I've got a 4-day weekend -- dh and I took a couple of vacation days on Monday and Tuesday and we have absolutely nothing planned -- just going to see what we feel like doing for those 4 days and then do it :)

Good night everyone.

Ginny B

sewmuchjan
August 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Sending a BIG HAPPY B-DAY to ya Donna, have a great one. I would love a burger and beer with ya!! :)

Blondie glad Mom, and Sis are doing fine after the tangle with the buzz bombs...uhg hate stingers!!!

Sandy I hope your day with the "Girls" was slower!!! LOL And ya got the "woody smell" of of the young one!!!!

Lisa and lilmouse hugs and healing for you, and prayers too.

Everyone (((((((HUGS))))))) and prayers for ya'll tooo.

Love, and Blessing for a good night and a great morning, :)
Jan G.

Cellomom
August 17th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hi All,
My surgery went fine..so the Doc says....SO says it took over two hours...have four incisions....all of them glued closed and instructions not to lift anything heavier than a coffee mug....and no driving for a month...I am going to die....oh yeah; no stairs and I live in an upper flat...so he says take it slow! He did give me permission to sew but not all day....I never sew all day...I get up to cut and iron and get fresh coffee; that's not sewing all day...just most of it....am sore but expected that.....since my bloodwork was really pretty...I should heal quickly if I don't overdo it! snicker...I always over do it! I'll try to take it slow this time...have the incisions to remind me and do they ever
So glad your surgery went well !! you and are in the same boat, except that you can sew, lucky you. i've been looking at tutorials and reading quilting blogs for ideas. recover quickly but dont overdo lilmouse, blondie, so thankful your family is better.