PDA

View Full Version : Prayers Requested...Again

phoots
August 16th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Right now I'm getting $256 minus 10% taxes for my unemployment weekly. In about two weeks that will drop to $111 minus 10% taxes. So, I really need to find a job. We've cut everything about as much as we can cut. And, of course, this means absolutely no more fabric until I get a job. Absolutely none! No more cheating!!

In the last 5 yrs or so most companies have gone to taking applications online only. No more walking from business to business and leaving copies of my resume. I now spend a good part of my time scouring websites for job listings. My BF really doesn't understand this, looking for a job online. He's had his job for nearly 23 yrs. I got to Career workshops to learn the right way to do things. I go to Job Fairs and go to every stall and introduce myself even though I can tell that they won't have a job for me. One thing I've learned is that I'm not a salesperson!!! I can not accept a sales job!!! And I'm no good at customer service!! But just about any other clerical job, I can do. I just need to find a company that will take a chance and hire me.

Please, pray for me. Pray that I find a job soon! It's been 2 yrs, minus my time at Caesars, since my last job. I'm starting to feel unhirable, if that's even a word. Next week I'm gonna look into training, something I should have done months ago.

Thank you for your prayers.

Pam in Vegas

Monique
August 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Oh Pam, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. There HAS to be something out there. Is it not acceptable to just walk in anymore? I wish you all the best in your job search. And I will say prayers for you.

quilter.martha
August 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Large businesses may do all applications on-line, but surely smaller companies will still take walk ins. I pray you find something soon Pam.

DCM
August 16th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Are there any clerical temp agencies in your area? I know they keep a percentage of whatever you make when they place you in a temp job but it could get your foot in the door with a few companies and might lead to a permanent position. If there are any colleges/universities in your area sometimes they will test for entry level clerical positions even when they don't have an opening so they have a list of candidates to choose from when there is an opening -- you might have to take something lower in responsibility than you really want but a lot of times that's the only way to get your foot in the door (and get benefits, even if the pay isn't exactly what you want it to be), then you can transfer to higher level positions after you've been there for a little while. Also check into H&R Block -- they sometimes train folks for the upcoming tax season -- for front office "greeters" and also for tax preparers. Good luck -- hang in there -- hopefully the perfect job is just around the corner.

Bubby
August 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I agree about the temp agencies. They charge the employer enough that you can still make fairly good $$ and take their percent also. I'll continue to pray for you, Pam.

quiltingtrish
August 16th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I have you in my prayers Pam. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time finding something out there. Seems it is hard here too. My girlfriend is having a hard time finding one for herself - also mentioned that you have to apply online for everything these days. Also, my sister. She said one application was at least 4 pages long and the print was so tiny that she couldn't enlarge, she got a headache trying to read the questions! One of the questions was in the 'common sense' part "If you were a fruit, what would you be and why?" she about threw in the towel right then and there.

Good luck.
Hugs,

Meli
August 16th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Keeping you in my prayers and sending positive energy your way

Sandy Navas
August 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I have you in my prayers Pam. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time finding something out there. Seems it is hard here too. My girlfriend is having a hard time finding one for herself - also mentioned that you have to apply online for everything these days. Also, my sister. She said one application was at least 4 pages long and the print was so tiny that she couldn't enlarge, she got a headache trying to read the questions! One of the questions was in the 'common sense' part "If you were a fruit, what would you be and why?" she about threw in the towel right then and there.

Good luck.
Hugs,

If I were a fruit? You have got to be kidding. I would be a fruit cake for sure!

PAM, I can't imagine the frustrations you go through daily. I am of the era where IF I wanted a specific job I walked in and convinced someone they couldn't work WITHOUT ME. I've never faced filling in personal information on the computer and can't imagine how down-grading that must be. I've had you in my prayers, keeping you there. There are so very many people who need work and it seems all the good jobs have been given to third countries . . . they work for almost nothing.

I'll keep you in my prayers, and I'm putting on a thinking cap to see if collaboratively we can come up with something that will bring in a steady income (without having to sell your stash).

Hugs, and don't give up your faith in the job showing up. Call Caesars and tell them you are ready to work full time for them - permanently!!!!! Sometimes you have to be the salesperson you don't think you are, just to SELL YOURSELF>

LynneLeavell
August 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Good luck Pam. I know the economy is rough right now. I have been at my job for 22 years and not sure how much longer we are going to be open. I work for a landscape company that has been in business for 35 years now. My husband on the other hand does Construction (commercial) and he is also a Safety Director. He had been out work since March and has just gone back to work. Yes he is out of town somedays but that is OK. My oldest Grandson has a hard time with him being gone but he looks forward to the days he comes home. I look everyday for something in the Clerical field with my experience but there is nothing with the pay scale that I'm at now or more. I told my husband I refuse to back up pay wise. So again Pam good luck in your search.

auntiemern
August 16th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Praying you find something permanent, that pays what you need to live on.

HandsOffItsMine
August 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Prayers being said.

I would take the Reference Letter from Ceasars, attach it to my resume, make a bunch of them and go to an large office complex and still look in person. The heck with it, if clerical/admin is what you do, make friends with the receptionist. Try it, it sure can't hurt!

K. McEuen
August 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure if you've tried going down and applying with the city government. They often hire for city offices, fire departments and police stations. It may be a good idea to try and get an application in someone's hands down there.

lilmouse
August 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Pam, you have been in my prayers for a permanent job and you will stay there until you get one! I feel for you....job hunting is the pitts.......I absolutely hate it! I have worked at my current job for over five years and due to the owner of the land going into foreclosure my boss may lose his lease for the restaurant and we will all be out of work...he is so worried about it that he's really cranky right now! But I love what I do and will continue as long as I am able!

bkthomas
August 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that - prayers - you got it my friend!