PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the Day

hillbilly
September 13th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I get a quilters tip of the day on facebook, and check out what she posted today!

QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Using a plain bar of soap to store your pins and needles has multiple advantages. By inserting them into the bar it will coat the pins and needles with a thin film that will not only prevent rust but will also help to glide smoothly through multiple layers of fabric and batting. Happy quilting!

I have never heard of such a thing!! I'll start posting the tips here.

Dragonfly
September 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM
QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Using a plain bar of soap to store your pins and needles has multiple advantages. By inserting them into the bar it will coat the pins and needles with a thin film that will not only prevent rust but will also help to glide smoothly through multiple layers of fabric and batting. Happy quilting!

:icon_shake:Ooh I hate to be overly negative but as a trained laboratory technician in a previous life, when I actually worked for a living, I'd have to say to be cautious of this practice. Soaps are made using caustic substances, it's what makes them work, not all mind you but most. I personally wouldn't be putting caustic substances anywher near my fabric. Like a lot of things, you won't see the damage anytime soon but...

If you want to use something along these lines, use wax, it is a relatively inert substance, which is why it can be used on quilting thread.

jrchapman
September 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I think you must have softer soap in America. I just tried it and I bent my pin!

shell.scraps
September 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't be putting my pins in a bar of soap!! Too hard, and there are chemicals in there I don't want on my quilt fabrics. What an odd suggestion LOL

hillbilly
September 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Well..that is what I was thinking. Don't we want to protect our quilts from oils?!

Lola2Ace
September 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I do what my Grandma did, run a dull pin or needle through my hair. It does help, but now I am wondering about the natural oils (not to mention styling products that I use!) getting on my fabrics.
I have been known to poke them into the cushion of whatever I am sitting on too. Hubby gives me the look, especially when it's his car seat that I am sitting on, and I just innocently say 'the hole will close up nicely'. LOL
Lola

PamMiller
September 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
From one hillybilly to another, I have a good sized pin cushion filled with fine sand. Easy to use and works pretty good.
Pam

hillbilly
September 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Remember these aren't my ideas! Here is today's: (usually they are very good, but the last two days haven't been the best)

QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Have someone take a picture of you working on a quilt, then print the picture onto a plain piece of fabric. Add your name, date, and any other information pertinent to the quilt. Now you have a beautifully personalized label!

Dragonfly
September 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
:icon_beuj: Hmm...well apart from the part where I seriously dislike having my photo taken, that's not a bad idea. If the printing process stood up to the rigours of time the historians of the future would be most appreciative.

Shirley
September 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Why is it we hate to have our pictures taken but oh how we love to look at pictures of others and of our loved ones.
Will love reading the tips each day! Thanks for posting them.:icon_happy:

janluna
September 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Neat tips. I don't like the soap idea but I do like the one with the sand and I like the picture on the label. You are right historians would love it as would family members.

toggpine
September 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I think it is interesting to see some of the creative things people think of to try to solve little problems.
Probably no soap on my quilting pins, but I'll be looking to see if there are any others that prove helpful!

I have been known to write on the selvedge edge of a piece of fabric how long it is and who/what it is for while I wait at the cutting table for the other things to be cut. (ie. 1.25yd/Nicole's Pinwheels) That way if I don't get to that project right away, I can remember what it was for. Sometimes I change my mind about a color/pattern and then I know how big that leftover piece of fabric really is.

patticakes
September 14th, 2010, 10:19 PM
This could be a great topic to check everyday! I love a great new (or old) idea!

middlesis1966
September 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Remember these aren't my ideas! Here is today's: (usually they are very good, but the last two days haven't been the best)

QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Have someone take a picture of you working on a quilt, then print the picture onto a plain piece of fabric. Add your name, date, and any other information pertinent to the quilt. Now you have a beautifully personalized label!

Ok heres my problem with this tip. I have really short hair so when I wake up I have extreme bed head. Lots of times I only get to sew in the am. A pic of me like that would scare anyone away from quilting, lol. :lol: The picture idea is a good thought, thanks

NM Lady
September 15th, 2010, 12:05 AM
LOL....mmmmm that would be a no! I come in after work and put on T-shirts and sweats, cook supper and then start my projects! No pictures of this little short NM Lady that weighs a tad too much.

jrchapman
September 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
QUILTER'S TIP OF THE DAY: If you take your quilt to work so that you can sew the binding in your lunch break, check that nobody has put a slice of cake on your desk before you put it down on top!

:icon_cry: :icon_sniff: :icon_cry: :icon_sniff: :icon_cry:

toggpine
September 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
How sad for you quilt and the slice of cake. Maybe you could try some of this new quilt/fiber wash I found. It is called "Soak". According to the lady at the LQS you use about 5mL in one of the newfangled "He" front loader wash-machines and a full packet (10mL) in a standard water-guzzler machine. It says you don't have to rinse it out, but I would think that you want to get the cake off first. I think it is packaged for handwashing items, but I am going to give it a try. It is supposed to leave a light fragrance to your washables. You can check it out at soak.com. I just picked it up two days ago and haven't had a chance to use it myself. I'll let you know how it works when I do get around to trying it.

hillbilly
September 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM
QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: If you’re looking for an inexpensive storage container for your many spools of thread, a storage box made for Matchbox cars is ideal. The container is double-sided & divided into 48 compartments, each of which will hold a spool or two of thread. Generic ones are a better buy; just make sure to take a spool of thread along to double check the size of the compartments.

Sorry to be late in posting. Jr took care of it the hard way. I am so sorry Jr!! Above the 'other' tip of the day.

craftyladysam
September 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks Hillbilly I like the tip for the day. I may or maynot use them but like to read them and like to see what others think of them too. I have heard of using soap on zippers and pins all my life to help sharpen them and to help them not snag. Years ago they didn't put so much stuff in products like they do now.

quiltnut
September 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
A bar of soap applied to a drawer inside helps it glide easily if it sticks.:icon_wave:

Sammy
September 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Im not keen on the soap idea but I think making a label with a picture of you on is a great idea. Imsure future generations would love to see the love and care that goes into the quilts

hillbilly
September 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: An alternative for hand basting a quilt is to machine baste with water soluble thread. Make sure to use the thread in both the top and the bobbin and sew straight basting lines across the quilt. When you’re done with the decorative quilting, the soluble thread can be removed by washing. Happy quilting!

Sorry I haven't been around to post these.

Blondie
September 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
thanks hillbilly - that is a tip I may try on my next one.

Virginia
September 27th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I get a quilters tip of the day on facebook, and check out what she posted today!

I have never heard of such a thing!! I'll start posting the tips here.

Hello Tonya!
from where do you receive that at facebook?
thanks, Virginia

hillbilly
September 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
To make a reusable quilting stencil, trace your design onto tulle (netting) with a permanent marker. Place the tulle on top of the area to be quilted then retrace the design with your marking tool of choice.

Virginia...first you need to friend me and become a fan of my business page, then I'll tell you. No, just kidding...it's Log Cabin Quilting

Blondie
September 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
hi hill billy
I also rug hook on occasion and have found that something smoother and easier than tulle for tracing is plumber's "paper". It is a very thin and transparent fiber - looks almost like interfacing. I purchased some from a hooking supply house some time ago and still have tons. I betcha it would be cheaper than tulle as well! Save that for wonderful crochet scrubbies.

hillbilly
September 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Use a pants hanger to hold your pattern book open to the current page and to keep it from getting lost under fabric.

hillbilly
September 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
hi hill billy
I also rug hook on occasion and have found that something smoother and easier than tulle for tracing is plumber's "paper". It is a very thin and transparent fiber - looks almost like interfacing. I purchased some from a hooking supply house some time ago and still have tons. I betcha it would be cheaper than tulle as well! Save that for wonderful crochet scrubbies.

Thanks. I don't use all these. I just copy and post them! Crochet scrubbies are a bit of a hit, aren't they?

Blondie
September 29th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Crochet scrubbies are a bit of a hit, aren't they?

Yes, they certainly are! quick and easy and last pretty well, too. I even impressed my dear old Mom with them. She thinks I'm brilliant, lol, but then that's in her job description, right?

hillbilly
September 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Crochet scrubbies are a bit of a hit, aren't they?

Yes, they certainly are! quick and easy and last pretty well, too. I even impressed my dear old Mom with them. She thinks I'm brilliant, lol, but then that's in her job description, right?

Yes, it should be!
I am trying to get my daughter to make some for me. She crochets.

SusieQ
September 30th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Yes, it should be!
I am trying to get my daughter to make some for me. She crochets.

Crochet scrubbies? I will have to go google that and check them out. Sounds really cool! Thanks

Is it hard to do? Anyone?

Laura108
September 30th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Crochet scrubbies? I will have to go google that and check them out. Sounds really cool! Thanks

Is it hard to do? Anyone?

I think gina does them if I remember correctly and she in on here as Ginapmpls.