PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

Sandy Navas
August 14th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Disclaimer: I am NOT the author - just passing along.

Too many people put off something that brings them joy just because they haven't thought about it, don't have it on their schedule, didn't know it was coming or are too rigid to depart from their routine.

I got to thinking one day about all those people on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible.

How many women out there will eat at home because their husband didn't suggest going out to dinner until after something had been thawed? Does the word 'refrigeration' mean nothing to you?

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said , 'How about going to lunch in a half hour?' She would gas up and stammer, 'I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is dirty. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast, It looks like rain' And my personal favorite: 'It's Monday.' She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.

Because we cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our headaches. We live on a sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get the baby toilet-trained. We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of 'I'm going to,' 'I plan on,' and 'Someday, when things are settled down a bit.' When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of roller blades and skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. It's just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-Decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy.

Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to...not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting?

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or listened to the rain lapping on the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night? Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask 'How are you?' Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores running through your head? Ever told your child, 'We'll do it tomorrow.' And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die? Just call to say 'Hi'?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift . . .Thrown away . . . Life is not a race. Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over Show your friends how much you care.

To those who read this . . . I cherish our friendship.

Blondie
August 14th, 2012, 10:01 AM
The truest of words expressed so eloquently. I totally believe in living each day fully and hope that each day I succeed bettter than the day before.

Let's have lunch

bobw103
August 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM
This brought tears to my eyes and I am not quite sure why-perhaps because it got me thinking about all of opportunities that I have missed. Thank you for this-can I share it?

New York Sue
August 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Beautiful post.
Let's find the biggest, baddest roller coaster in a midway point, and ride it ALL day!
All right, ONCE. Maybe TWICE.
Then a really good meal and a nice bottle of wine...
SIGH. A girl can dream, lol

New York Sue
August 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Oh, I forgot about Sweet Baby James!
Cap off the night with James Taylor in concert. And we have GREAT seats!

pcbatiks
August 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Great post.......I know one thing for sure. I will drop house work in a heartbeat for an invitation to go have lunch with a friend or family. If they call and invite...usually the next words out of my mouth are...Sure what time!!!!!

lilmouse
August 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Sandy....I think we all need reminders to stop and smell the roses.....I am ready to go to lunch at anytime.....some things I do fly by seat of my pants...others have to be scheduled...just depends...most of the time for me..I have to work! Happens when you work nights....loved the words though and do try to be upbeat most of the time!

Sandy Navas
August 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM
This brought tears to my eyes and I am not quite sure why-perhaps because it got me thinking about all of opportunities that I have missed. Thank you for this-can I share it?

Of course you can share it. Oh, and give a call to someone you love while you are at it.

Sandy Navas
August 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Oh, I forgot about Sweet Baby James!
Cap off the night with James Taylor in concert. And we have GREAT seats!

Think you can arrange for a 'private' concert? One where there are only our bestest friends and family and absolutely no strangers (nor strange people) allowed?

. . . oh, what was I thinking - that means I can't go . . . strange people . . .

Bubby
August 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
The older I get the more I understand that this is the ONLY way to live...seizing and savoring every moment even on humdrum days. Very well put, my friend!!

bobw103
August 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hoping my son and wife will read it on my FB page and perhaps think a bit about how they treat their kid's Grandma

HandsOffItsMine
August 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hoping my son and wife will read it on my FB page and perhaps think a bit about how they treat their kid's Grandma

Now that makes me tearful! 'Cause not being part of your grandchild(ren)'s life on a regular basis is too hard on grandparents. Prayers that they will read it and realize that they need to use it. :)

With Mom having cancer to young and being a cancer survivor, "live each day to it's fullest". I also use the words "I love you!" on the phone and in person as only God knows when it's ones time for anyone. Things can change in a second.

LynneLeavell
August 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Sandy this is so true. My mom did cake decorating as a hobby and did a wonderful job. She was doing some roses one day for a cake and she asked me if I wanted to learn how to do them, my reply was mama I have plenty of time to learn how to do those. She died 25 years ago. There was a couple of things I was going to do with one my grandmothers and she has been dead 6 years now. So yes I am now a strong believer in "Why put off today what you can do tomorrow."
Also that is why I am year in a half behind on my sewing projects because I spend more time with my Grandchildren.

Thanks for the wake up call Sandy. Oh yea and on the Private Concert not allowing the crazies in that would be one quiet concert. None of us would be in attendance. Love everyone of you and have a great day.

Cathy F
August 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Great post, sometimes we need that reminder. I must admit I have been guilty of putting off some things in the past but as I get older I realize my days may be numbered so I try to make the most of them now.

jingleme
August 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
LOVE THAT QUOTE!
but....I'm sorry but I can't come to the phone right now. My ship just came in.....:)

searchfamilies
August 14th, 2012, 01:45 PM
We have a saying in the UK "

Don't put off to Tomorrow what you can do Today"

This is so true as Tomorrow never comes

Hugs Janice :icon_wave:

sewbizzy
August 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks Sandy, what a wonderful post!!! This brought tears to my eyes....
Thanks for reminding us of what is most important in our lives!!!
and spending time with friends and family is first and foremost!!!!

Madeforyouinma11
August 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Sandy! So many people are in a hurry. When I was with my first husband that was my life, always in a hurry and no time for anything. Now with my second husband things are so different. Life has slowed down and we make time to do the things we want to do. We spend time with friends and we have the kids over for dinner all the time and we play games, talk and just spend time together. We tell each other "I love you" every time we talk on the phone. When my husband leaves for work (he is a policeman), I tell him I love you, have a good night and be safe every time. I say the things I want to say because you might not have another opportunity. I have had many missed opportunities in my life, but I don't anymore. Maybe my near death experience had something to do with it, i'm not sure, but I thank you for posting this and I hope that more people realize how important it is to Stop and smell the roses. Life changes every minuteso go out and cease the day!:icon_wave:

BellasQuilts
August 14th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Awesome Sandy as usual. Carpe Diem baby!

janluna
August 15th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I really liked this post Sandy! Joe and I were just telling my oldest how short our week has become. Ya know, like, wasn't it just spring?? I always tell my DH that I love him and to come home safe, when he leaves for work. I also tell my kids and grandkids that I love them every time I see them or talk to them. I tell my girlfriends I love them too. I do have to act on my dreams though....No more someday I'lls. Thanks Sandy! I Love You!!!!!!
And everyone on this list......I love you all too! Jan L. (Now if I just had the money to go to Missouri....I'll have to walk!)

sewmuchjan
August 15th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks soo much for this Sandy it really makes you stop and think..and to say thank you all for being my friends and for all your caring and helpfulness. Love ya all..

Love and hugs (((((HUGS)))))
Jan G.

Musical_Starling
August 15th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I should send this to MIL & FIL... They live in Alberta and we see them usually for a week, maybe two, out of a year. During their two week visit last fall FIL decided he would insulate our basement for us. It was greatly appreciated as neither The Giant or I are very handy, but it was like FIL made it his life mission to get the basement finished instead of spending time with us when he was told that the insulation was something he could just do to keep himself occupied if he wanted. Well he did the basement, then went golfing every chance he got, and if it was raining then he'd watch golf on TV. The Giant, MIL, and myself would all be sitting around the TV in the living room, having a nice conversation, and FIL would turn up the TV a couple of notches every time someone spoke. Drove me nuts!!! So he totally ruined their visit last year because he spent very little time with us and when he did he was being a total arse, and now they're not coming home this year, they'll be home next fall. They're going to miss out on seeing our new kitten while she's still a kitten (not as important as a baby, but still an important family member!) and, more importantly, Dad is missing some great times with his son (who is an only child!). Makes me sad :(

Sandy Navas
August 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I should send this to MIL & FIL... They live in Alberta and we see them usually for a week, maybe two, out of a year. During their two week visit last fall FIL decided he would insulate our basement for us. It was greatly appreciated as neither The Giant or I are very handy, but it was like FIL made it his life mission to get the basement finished instead of spending time with us when he was told that the insulation was something he could just do to keep himself occupied if he wanted. Well he did the basement, then went golfing every chance he got, and if it was raining then he'd watch golf on TV. The Giant, MIL, and myself would all be sitting around the TV in the living room, having a nice conversation, and FIL would turn up the TV a couple of notches every time someone spoke. Drove me nuts!!! So he totally ruined their visit last year because he spent very little time with us and when he did he was being a total arse, and now they're not coming home this year, they'll be home next fall. They're going to miss out on seeing our new kitten while she's still a kitten (not as important as a baby, but still an important family member!) and, more importantly, Dad is missing some great times with his son (who is an only child!). Makes me sad :(

Dee, I think you need to put this in perspective. My father was a very stoic man who worked from before sunup to after sundown. He was one of the least affectionate people I have ever met. I grew up thinking I was unloved because he was strict and very harsh in his speech, his rules and demands. It had to be done his way. I never remember hearing him say 'I love you.' I left home early, married the wrong person and spent a few miserable years getting my act together. I finally gave up and ran from the comforts of home, found Al and have finally had a wonderful life.

HOWEVER, when I was about 45 years old we were home on vacation and my Dad walked with me from his shop into the house one evening. He put his arm around my shoulder and told me 'You know, I'm sorry I was so hard on you when you were growing up. I never gave you the opportunity to have fun.' And I honestly was able to say to him, "Dad, you did what you had to do, and if you had not been strict and controlling I would not have grown up to be the person I am today. I kinda like the person you made me become."

That day I knew he loved me, had loved me forever, and I'd always be 'his little Jeanie'.

Don't think that your FIL was being an arse and rude. He is probably from the era where men were expected to do for their families and that was the only way he knew to share his love with you. And look at the things he did to make your life easier.

I don't mean to come down hard on you - just trying to let you see things from his perspective.

Hugs!!

CrazyMtnLady
August 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Great words Sandy, thanks for sharing.

bobw103
August 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Well for crying in the beer (doesnt anyone drink beer anymore-everyone seems to drink wine) anyway dear Sandy you again brought tears to my eyes with your response above. Very well said and something I need to take to heart as well....with my DS in mind.

Sandy Navas
August 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Wine, beer, whiskey, schnapps, rum, gin, vodka . . . is there something I've missed?

auntiemern
August 16th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Sandy, I tell my DH, DD, DGK's every day that I love them, and they tell me. I figured out a long time ago, by losing a very dear friend way to young, that life can change in the blink of an eye. Look what happened to my little Bubby. We are so very lucky to still have him with us. I try to be the best mom and granny possible, and it isn't always easy. Of course there are times I tell them I don't have time, but not very often. I drop what I am doing and run to their beck and call. I am one of the lucky ones. My DD, a grown women, still depends on her 'mommy' for all kinds of support and tells her friends she doesn't know what she would do without me. My dad was a very strict man, and sometimes abusive. I know that that came from his own rearing. But even through all the ups and downs with my dad, I never thought he didn't love me. It was just the way men were back then. Or at least the ones in my family. I thank God everyday that my DH is affectionate with me and the kids and grand kids. The GK's wouldn't know what to do with out their papa. He has been the only constant male in all of their lives, and would jump in front of a train for them. So for all you gals out there, that have doubts about your fathers love, put yourself in their shoes, and see where they came from. Then, just maybe you will feel differently. If they grew up with a father that didn't show affection, they don't know how to. It is a learned behavior. So it is up to us to show future generations how to show their love and be the best mom, father, granny or pa that they can be.

bkthomas
August 16th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Good one, Sandy!!!

csarina
August 16th, 2012, 05:04 AM
We did something the other week we really should not have done and bought a touring caravan, its old, but in good condition, has everything we need in it, and means we can just hitch up and go when we feel like it. I can even take my little sewing machine if we know we are going to be on a site with an electrical hook up!!

It has stretched us financially, but we will manage. I will not be buying any more fabric for a while, but thats ok, I have a stash I need to use up anyway. Reading the story about praying, I have been dooing it hars!! I have 4 table mats cut out and need a fabric to sash and bind them with, so far nothing has come out of my stash and hit me in the eye. They are Christmas fabric, which is a bit limiting.

Monique
August 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Very well said Sandy. And I drink beer!

New York Sue
August 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Me, too, Monique!
Somethings gotta give with a perfect '1/4 inch', and points lining up all the time!
Sandy, I grew up in a very similar environment. No pleasing Dad, really. He died, unexpected, 1 1/2 months before I completed my nursing degree (nearly 30 years ago).
He was close to the moment you had with your Dad, I think.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
LIFE goes on, all the same. I'm quite sure he watches over me, everyday.