PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Greetings

Blondie
August 14th, 2012, 06:06 AM

Happy Tuesday Folksies!

I am getting back into the routine of being up at ungodly hours again. I mean, we always rise and shine earlier than most on The Hill. I don't think I have had a good night's sleep in 30 years - as in, uninterrupted by all the things that wake Moms and Wives up when they really just want and need to sleep. Anyhoo, school is back in session and the dry runs of getting up early are over.

Yesterday was a nice day for me. I did a little bit of yard work, a little housework, a lot of playing with the poochies and looked through some magazines. I felt absolutely degenerate! Those days are so few and far between I almost felt guilty. I think you know that I puppy sit my DD's doxie and german shepherd pup. Well, this week she is taking care of her BF's cousin's little doxie, Hank. I have to take a pic of him. He is too stinking cute. So, that makes me running a real doggie day care yesterday and the rest of this week. Four doggies are a lot for this old gal to handle. Too much fun to watch them play. Cheyenne, the German Shepherd pup is getting to the gawky stage where she is all legs. She towers above the doxies and my chi chi. It is hilarious because she really has no clue that she is not their size. Kind of reminds me of the movie The Ugly Daucshund from way back when.

Today I will be sort out some old clothes and households to donate to a local charitable group. I have been giving some of the produce from our garden to it. They (the charity) in turn, gives away clothes, food, anything they are given to those in need.

Hugs, prayers and many blessings to my friends and their loved ones.

SMILE

rebeccas-sewing
August 14th, 2012, 06:20 AM
That's a great idea for the extra produce in your garden, Blondie! I used to just shower the neighbors with it but giving to the needy would certainly be rewarding.

Doing some cleaning today. I started a quilt for my daughter's boyfriend for Christmas. It's nautical and in particular an RJR pattern called "Sailing by the Stars." The large mariner's compass is where I have begun just to make sure the paper-pieced patterns I printed fit together well. So far so good. I'm changing up the quilt pattern a bit - different colors, paper-pieced sailboats, etc. Only problem - some of the fabric is in CA so I won't be able to complete it until I get back to the states. Fabric is just so darned expensive over here and really limited.

Enjoy the day!!!

quilter.martha
August 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Rebecca, fabric is pretty expensive here now too! I just got a catalog from Keepsake Quilting and they're listing their new lines at over $12 a yard! That is totally outrageous seeing as how our economy isn't supposed to have had any inflation for the past couple of years (at least that is what the politicians like to lie about). Bargin hunting is becoming a must these days.

Monique
August 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Good morning everyone.

It was nice to back at the same post office I worked 5 months at, so things went very smoothly. I had to take the girls back to their mom after I got home from work. It was hard giving Maizyn back. I actually had a tear in my eye on the way home.

Work again today. Not sure what this afternoon will bring. I awoke at about 2 am and had trouble going back to sleep. So it is possible that a nap is in order for later.

I want to make Sadoria a lunch bag. Anyone have an easy pattern to follow? Do I use batting and insulbrite too?

Have a wonderful day everyone. Nancy is well on her way to Alaska as I type.

Lisaau
August 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
quilter Martha that $12 a yard would be $24 here in Australia...so its still cheap where you are

Quiltlover
August 14th, 2012, 09:30 AM
About the cost of fabric....I'm noticing that some of the newer charm packs are $14 and the latest jelly roll price I saw was $44.
We're retired and won't be paying those prices! Glad that I have lots of fabric in my stash. Several jellly rolls and charm packs and a few kits. Probably enough to last me the rest of my quilting days. The new lines are soo tempting though, aren't they!
LOL
Brenda

Sandy Navas
August 14th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Blondie, there is nothing wrong with having those totally degenerate days to ourselves. Sometimes I do get up, look around and find that the best thing for me to do is go back to bed with a couple magazines, a good book, a glass of tea and the TV remote. And it's okay.

Rebecca - you are being totally ambitious, aren't you? I can't imagine starting a quilt and not having all the fabric right there at my fingertips. I can't imagine trying a mariner's compass either - I am such a total wimp. I'll just sit back and admire all the creativeness.

Martha and Lisa - I need to take you both with me to the thrift stores - 90% of the fabric on my racks comes from bargain bins. The only way I can keep myself out of the thrift stores though is to pick up on the DD once in a while. If I spend my allowance there then I don't have it to waste in the thrift stores. See, I have other weaknesses beyond fabric and sewing things. Ask me about paper and pencils, pens, gadgets.

Monique - if we send you a letter do you have to have the postman take it to your home? Curious minds need to know. On another note, I saw on another post that you have joined Victoria's Quilting. I subscribe to her newsletter and it is one of my very favorite places to haunt. Tell her hello, okay? How old is Sadie?

Brenda, I am like you - I have a whole basket of Bali Pops set aside to make something spectacular (there must be at least a dozen there) and I have never opened them. WHY NOT? What about that complete king size quilt package that I bought when I first became interested in quilting (Over $120 without a pattern!!!) and it has not been touched. Or the 20 charms of Kansas Troubles. I need to get cuttin'. Not sharing what else is in that china cabinet. (Search for a thread where someone asked if it was okay to never open a jelly roll package.)

Another day with the kids. Yesterday they were all so silly that I was close to loosing it. Finally took them out, grabbed Rita and Zoe and took them to the park. Then I sat in the car and called a friend while I watched them wear themselves out. The temperature never got above 75 F yesterday and this morning it is in the 50's. LOVE IT. Now where's the rain? Today I am going to let the girls try many kinds of various mediums. Wish me luck. The first one that flips a paint brush towards another is outta here!!

Hoping everyone has a fantabuloso day with nothing but good things heading your way. Thinking of all my on-line friends who have the need for special prayers. Hope you can feel my healing thoughts surrounding you. To everyone else - have a great one!

cyndiofthevortex
August 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I have to start right out and say that someone is praying for me. And thank you to whoever it is! I woke up feeling happier than I have probably felt in years. My heart is just overflowing with joy! The only reason is that it is a pure gift from God. Whatever I do today I will feel blessed and thankful for everything and everyone in my life. And you are all a big part of it. Thanks, friends, for sharing your lives with me and letting me share mine with you!

lilmouse
August 14th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Good Morning everyone; I am up early today.....went to bed early.....still only slept 7 hours...normal is 5 -6 hours with a couple of trips to the bathroom.....guess I needed the sleep; busy today trying to run last minute errands and get everything ready for tomorrow....will be so happy when done! Have lots of projects to work on while healing....figure the first week will be almost nothing but rest...after that look out! Still trying to wrap my mind around 4 weeks no work! Haven't done that in years! I think it was my last surgery....Sandy - enjoy the girls; at least you get to see them, my GK are over 3 hours away and I do the traveling to see them....and make sure you leave some hair on your head...don't be pulling it all out! The reason fabric is getting so expensive is due to the failure of the cotton crop last year...I hate to think of what the grocery prices are going to be after this summers' drought! My favorite muslin is now $12.99 a yard and I saw backing fabric for $13.99 a yard...yikes!
Sending out hugs and prayers for all; whether you need them or not....you are all in my thoughts as I go about my day!
Will check back later:icon_wave:

Lisaau
August 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Sandy l'd love to go through a thrift store with you it would be so much fun and l'm sure you would get me into trouble:) ....I guess when l have a good day l should go look at my local salvos store and see what they've got if anything.

I'm excited tonight there is a exhibtion on at the " Melbourne Museum" about "Ancient Mesopotamia" its been going since April and finishes in october but because of my spinal problems and not being able to walk we havent been able to go. I'm on the email list for museum news and yesterday l got sent an email offering a 2 for 1 ticket for August ..so l rang the museum and asked if they hired wheelchairs and the girl said yes we just need to provide ID. So today when l saw my DR l asked if he was ok with me using a wheelchair to go to the museum. The reason l asked if he was ok with it is because his trying to keep me walking under my own steam and trying desparetly to keep me from ever needing a wheelchair. But he said "sure if you need it use it so you can get out for the day .. have fun and enjoy yourself".I cant wait to go on the weekend its going tobe a cold horrible wintery day but l'm going tobe having fun ..l spend so much time at home now...but anyhow thats jsut my little bit of news tonight have a great day all.

Mimi2boys
August 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Sounds like everyone is busy on the last days of summer. Here we are on our 7th day of over 100 degree temps. Yesterday was horrible. My daughter and her family have been with us because their a/c is out. They have a 2 week old and 2 other boys to keep cool so it's off to Mimi & Papa's house. Hopefully the a/c is getting repaired today. it is my daughter's birthday today as well. Have a list of projects to sew but it well have to wait a day or two longer. Stay cool everyone!

SuzyQue
August 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Well, I was right....yesterday was a long day of shopping. We endured for almost 11 hours! My DD is such a frugal little thing, we had to look and look and look again. We were very successful....finally. It was a fun day and I am sure I won't have too many more in my future, as she is to head back to college in about a week. I am still tired, but I did find some thread to match....last one in the store!.....so hope to finish those Dresdens and lay out the sashings. Prayers for those in need and hugs for everyone!

Lonna
August 14th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Good Morning Ladies,

I am beginning to feel a little better but fighting to stay awake. I have taken so much cold medic. that all I want to do is sleep. At least not runnng fever anymore. It is going to be a long battle to stay awake all day and make it through the work day. But I will make it.

Have a great day Ladies and enjoy the day.

Sandy Navas
August 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Well, I was right....yesterday was a long day of shopping. We endured for almost 11 hours! My DD is such a frugal little thing, we had to look and look and look again. We were very successful....finally. It was a fun day and I am sure I won't have too many more in my future, as she is to head back to college in about a week. I am still tired, but I did find some thread to match....last one in the store!.....so hope to finish those Dresdens and lay out the sashings. Prayers for those in need and hugs for everyone!

Is she frugal or like our Michelle - she can't make up her mind. The rest of the kids seem to know what they want before they walk in the door. Michelle, on the other hand, will walk the aisles in the store and pick up everything and look at it, circle back and go again . . . and again. One time Mom and Dad took her to spend birthday money and decided to let her 'shop' and time her . . . over an hour they patiently waited for her to make up her mind. Believe me, she's not frugal!

Blondie
August 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Is she frugal or like our Michelle - she can't make up her mind. The rest of the kids seem to know what they want before they walk in the door. Michelle, on the other hand, will walk the aisles in the store and pick up everything and look at it, circle back and go again . . . and again. One time Mom and Dad took her to spend birthday money and decided to let her 'shop' and time her . . . over an hour they patiently waited for her to make up her mind. Believe me, she's not frugal!

Well, don't ever go shopping with my dear Mother. She not only shops like Michelle but she IS FRUGAL, as in tight as a tick. It is always a long day to shop with her anywhere. That goes for grocery stores, box stores and thrifts. OY. I dislike shopping. Perhaps that is why. And I really don't do well in crowds. I like to go get what I have to and get home. Now online shopping, we can talk.

SuzyQue
August 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Sandy and Blondie----No, she is really frugal! She knows what she wants, but she has to look and look, to make sure she is getting the best deal in town! She can stretch a dollar farther than anyone I have ever seen! She even brought coupons for the things on my list....and she didn't know what was on my list before I put them in the cart! Due to medical issues this summer, she was unable to work. Without money to burn, she is really frugal (more than normal)! I would rather have this than a child that spends and spends without a thought to the money used. She will be able to survive whatever life brings to her. I am truly blessed, but ............tired!

HandsOffItsMine
August 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Well, don't ever go shopping with my dear Mother. She not only shops like Michelle but she IS FRUGAL, as in tight as a tick. It is always a long day to shop with her anywhere. That goes for grocery stores, box stores and thrifts. OY. I dislike shopping. Perhaps that is why. And I really don't do well in crowds. I like to go get what I have to and get home. Now online shopping, we can talk.

ROFL...Granny (Don's Mom who's 93) is FRUGAL as can be, yet loves to shop, can't make up her mind, has never driven - must be driven every where, unless...YOU'RE PAYING. LOL Oh my, than we need one in each color! 'Cause they might not have one in five years! :D

quiltingtrish
August 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Frugal? My grandmother. (She even made her own underwear cause it was cheaper.) She didn't drive, ever. She walked to the food store and back with her little shopping cart, one of those you can buy. She knew the weight of everything she ever bought because she had to know if she could push or pull it in the cart. It was about probably a mile or a little more one way. She got what she needed every week that way. When we would go visit in the summer, mom would drive her to the store and that's when she would stock up on stuff like bar soap, cans and cans of different foods that would keep for the year, etc.
Oh, got to tell you about the bar soap. She knew the price of everything. One time I took her to the store and she had coupons for her bar soap. Of course it was on the very bottom shelf. She knew that they hid the best buys so she got on her hands and knees - she was about 80 at the time - bent over and pulled out all the bar soaps that had more coupons on them. And, she watched every item as it went across the register. When they came out with the new machines, it drove the store gals nuts cause they couldn't proceed until she saw every item as it scanned. If it came up with a different price than what was in her head, she called them on it. She was never wrong and got lots of free things that way cause their machines weren't always correct. Anything that could be made from scratch, she did it. She saved every penny she could, paid cash for everything and went to her grave without a debt in the world. And, she was the most awesome cook ever! Thanks to her, mom was right up there too.
Oh boy. Guess I rambled. But thanks for the memories. I sure do miss her.
Hugs,

sewmuchjan
August 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hello All,

Well here I am and it is HOT HOT HOT,"We're havin a heat wave, (not) a tropical heat wave.. UHG!!! 108 today and tomarrow is the only "cool day" we will have 100 degrees!!! If it goes to trips wed. we will have broken a record!! UHG again...Sooo I have given up and turned on my little window A/C in my sewing room and this is where I stay untill evening. UGH again electric bill!!!! We usualy have about 7 days of hot trips in the summer but this is unending trips..UHG once more...ready to go and find a cold spot somewhere for the next week or so!!!! Yay right!! But today I did get my tumbler top (from an older post along time ago) it is 3/4 quilted!!! Which is the only good thing to come out of this heat wave> Need to finish it and take pictures and go on Hubby's big puter and download them so I can show you all...can't do it on this little tiny thing I am using right now. My laptop is in puter heaven or what ever Matt did with it, it was toast!!! My DS Gordon has this little thing and is letting me use it (he has 2 so he isn't without) God love him.

So now that I have givin ya'll the run down here in my neck of the woods, I will send you all my thoughts and prayers for what is needed and big sweaty hugs from your quilty sweaty friend here in very very sunny CA.

Love,
Jan G.

Now to go and find a cold washcloth and wipe down and powered up!!! At least I ain't a stinky sweaty! :D LOL

janluna
August 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM
All I did today is laundry. Boring aren't I? My back is killing me. I'm all spased up and so tight it feels like someone has ahold of my spine and they are squeezing it for all they are worth. Oh well, that's my life. Forgive me for my complaining.
Tomorrow, I get to scrub floors. But Thursday, I get to go to a local quilt shop, and sew, sew, sew!!!! Can't wait. Prayers being said for everyone. And extra ones for those in need.
Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.