PDA

View Full Version : Elastic....

shorte85
August 13th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Hello lovely ladies, yet another question but about an entirely different thing. :)

I'm making these pants: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/baby-pants-baby-pattern.html

I'm stuck though because she doesn't really state what length I want to the cut elastic at. So I'm lost on this. I don't want to make the elastic too big, and I don't want to make the elastic too tight for the baby. The pant size I'm working on is 0-3 months.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated!! :)

K. McEuen
August 13th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Maybe take a tape measure with you to a clothing store and measure how big they make the waist in that size baby pants.

phoots
August 13th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Good one, Karen!!

Pam in Vegas

Sandy Navas
August 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I have always heard to measure the body part and add one inch. Don't know if that applies to babies or not - 1 inch would go a long way on some of them.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I subtract an inch, makes the pants snug but not too tight. I haven't made baby pants in a while, but I subtract for adults when I costume. Depending on how tight the elastic is in the casing, it stretches a bit if it is tight in the casing, then the pants are too loose in the waist. I've done dozens of bloomers, knickers, and various modifications using a basic pant pattern, and subtracting usually means I don't have to redo them to make them tighter.

Sandy Navas
August 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I subtract an inch, makes the pants snug but not too tight. I haven't made baby pants in a while, but I subtract for adults when I costume. Depending on how tight the elastic is in the casing, it stretches a bit if it is tight in the casing, then the pants are too loose in the waist. I've done dozens of bloomers, knickers, and various modifications using a basic pant pattern, and subtracting usually means I don't have to redo them to make them tighter.

No wonder my big girl panties seem to always find their way down to my knees.

I always thought the extra inch was for the overlap to join the ends. But Jean's experience and reasoning makes a whole lot more sense . . . So glad I don't need elastic in my clothes any more (heehee).

Jean Sewing Machine
August 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM
No wonder my big girl panties seem to always find their way down to my knees.

I always thought the extra inch was for the overlap to join the ends. But Jean's experience and reasoning makes a whole lot more sense . . . So glad I don't need elastic in my clothes any more (heehee).
Always good for a ROFLOL, Sandy! There's a lot to be said for elastic waists once you get to a "certain age" with all those extra potty stops!

Sandy Navas
August 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Always good for a ROFLOL, Sandy! There's a lot to be said for elastic waists once you get to a "certain age" with all those extra potty stops!

I won't post what was running through my mind in answer to this one . . .

SuzyQue
August 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I always subtract at least an inch.....but I do overlap the elastic. Sorry, CJ, haven't had little kiddos in a quite a bit. Perhaps a younger mom or grandma with babies will be on later to help. Those little waists can be quite tiny.....or quite pudgy.

shorte85
August 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks ladies for pitching in to help.

I went with my gut instinct, and just threaded it through the elastic chasing, and then basically went with what I thought looked right. If all else fails and it's too tight for the baby, so I take a few stitches out, remove the elastic and try again. :P But hopefully it won't be too tight. :)

Jean Sewing Machine
August 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks ladies for pitching in to help.

I went with my gut instinct, and just threaded it through the elastic chasing, and then basically went with what I thought looked right. If all else fails and it's too tight for the baby, so I take a few stitches out, remove the elastic and try again. :P But hopefully it won't be too tight. :)If you have acccess to the child, pin the elastic, try it on him/her and then sew it up. That keeps the ripping to a minimum.

shorte85
August 14th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah I would defintley do that lol if I had the kid lol... not due til NOvember and baby shower is next month. :-)