PDA

View Full Version : I hate cooking dinner, can I stop now?

BellasQuilts
August 10th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I can't think of a darn thing to make for dinner. Worse, I don't ever want to make dinner again. If we skipped it, I would not cry. I find it a total waste of time and boring. After decades of cooking dinner, I want it to be someone else' turn or I want a cook. I want to come home and say, Honey, what's for dinner? just once. whew...thanks for letting me vent. Now, what do I make for dinner??

K. McEuen
August 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Once when substitute teaching I made the comment in the teacher's lounge that I loved to cook, just hated to clean up after myself. The female principle asked me to marry her. Said if I cooked she'd clean and do all the dishes. She was tired of eating frozen dinners all the time. Told her I was already married.

Wednesday I made poached chicken breasts and pasta with alfredo sauce. Was easy and yummy. I sweat a diced onion in some butter, add the chicken breasts, let them brown just a bit, flip them, cover them with sliced mushrooms, add about a half cup of white wine. I had Chardonnay. I don't drink the stuff so I have no clue what the difference is. Cover the pan, let it cook for about 20 minutes. In the meantime I cooked my rotini. When the chicken was done I removed it from the pan, added the jar of afredo sauce and about a 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese. Heated it through, added the pasta, stirred it again, served the pasta with the chicken on top with a green salad.

cyndiofthevortex
August 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM
So sorry, Megan! I used to cook every night for seven kids, their visiting friends and my husband. I just quit one day and said I'd had enough. Now DH cooks dinner every night with help from the three boys who still live at home. It's chicken caesar salad tonight. Want to come by and have a bite?

a1angiem
August 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I love that you can now pre-order on-line from restaurants for pick-up or home delivery...you just set the time you want it ready (eg. complete roast chicken dinner) and they ring the door bell or you get hubby/kids to pick it up on their way home. I worked today and just told them when I ordered it for. :) It's great! We all need a break - especially after years of coming up with something to eat...and many times dealing with the grumbles of at least one family member not liking or wanting it!

Claire Hallman
August 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM
We are having hot dogs, salsa and tortilla chips, come on over.

Sandy Navas
August 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Whenever I'm stumped like that there is only one thing I make:

RESERVATIONS!!!

madampolo
August 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I learned to say when my late husband asked "What's for dinner?", "Whatever is easier on you!"

EnumclawGramma
August 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Don't hate me but....my daughter's boyfriend is bbqing steaks for dinner!

BellasQuilts
August 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Yes! Let me grab my purse and I'm out the door!

So sorry, Megan! I used to cook every night for seven kids, their visiting friends and my husband. I just quit one day and said I'd had enough. Now DH cooks dinner every night with help from the three boys who still live at home. It's chicken caesar salad tonight. Want to come by and have a bite?

BellasQuilts
August 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Keeping Karen's recipe, love reservations, will eat at anyone else's house, I don't care what you make, and I will wash dishes. You guys are awesome.

nurrsey
August 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
The older I get the less I like to cook

toggpine
August 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I get tired of being the "Dinner Decider". I don't actually mind the cooking.
I suppose that if I was a good Suzy Homemaker, I would have a weekly menu and vary it so the family always had interesting and inviting meals. Then I wouldn't be thinking at 3PM, "Oh Crap! What are we going to have for supper?"

Yeah, Right.

You get what I decide to fix. YOU have a better idea? Knock yourself out.

I have gotten in the habit of making extra when I can, and then freezing the extra for a super fast meal later. I just have to portion the "Extra" out before the boys come in and help themselves to three meals worth of food!

I do know an excellent personal chef who is looking for a new job at the end of the month (the kids have all gone off to college and they are cutting back the staff). He's currently on Colorado, but might be willing to relocate!

pcbatiks
August 10th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I think having a cook is a justifiable expense for quilter's....and I want one too!! That way you don't have to stop sewing and TRY to figure out what to fix for supper. The only problem is what category could you put that expense under so that someone has to pay for it !!??!!
Quilter's Insurance ???? :D

Shannon
August 10th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Sitting at Outback steakhouse waiting for mt DD to show up....I cheat!

auntiemern
August 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Rarely cook any more. DH does the majority of it. I just don't think about food, so it is easy for me to "forget" to plan something. Although tomorrow I am going to make that cake that Blondie posted.

buckeyequilter
August 10th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Since DH is retired - I took the time to teach him to cook and now he does all the cooking. I cook when I want to....which isn't often. I do plan and cook the holiday meals. I did my time in the kitchen cooking for 5 people. If I had to cook now, it would be "what kind of cereal do you want tonight or what kind of jelly do you want with your peanut butter."

BellasQuilts
August 10th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Darn you Sharon! Really, enjoy your dinner. I just don't like it. I will do a huge Thanksgiving dinner, but then it is fun. Lots of planning, etc. Every night? Forget it. I know it's bad because DH just called. Missed his plane. Will eat at airport waiting for next flight. My heart skipped a beat - I don't have to cook! Now that's sad. I need the personal chef; now next step is to win the lotto.

quiltingtrish
August 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I agree. It takes out too much quilting time.
Tonight I thought I'd make my chicken crescent rolls and thought it won't take any time at all. I betcha I was out there chopping up the broccoli, mashing the chicken, rolling out the crescent rolls, and grating the cheese for what seemed like FOREVER before they finally went in the oven. I told them if they were still hungry (I did make them 4 each), that there was potatoe salad to munch on.

I'm all for the DH calling for take-out and then going to pay and pick it up!

Hugs,

Jess1377
August 11th, 2012, 12:36 AM
I think maybe in a few years I will do what Cyndi did :icon_woot: maybe sooner? hehe!! I know I dread getting asked whats for dinner, I usually say "I dunno, food maybe?" then when I cook my kiddo picks at it and then says he is full. At least my husband eats whatever it is and is nice about it even if it tastes weird! I cant say which reply I like best here though, maybe try them all I guess?

Donna F
August 11th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I guess I'm lucky in a cooking kind of way, hubby does the cooking. I cant stand that long to make a meal anymore on a daily basis. I do cook probably once a week when I'm feeling up to it. He always tries to come in and help tho. I really hate my illness. That poor man works all day then comes home to cook. Don't worry, we eat a lot off the grill which he loves to do. Plus he doesn't do manual labor, he's the boss man so he's at his desk a lot. And ladies, he LOVES to clean!! Yea, I said it, he does. He's a freaking neat freak. It's heaven. Still, I swear I have the best DH in the world!!

Musical_Starling
August 11th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Maybe I haven't been around long enough, but I LOVE to cook (and eat; it goes hand-in-hand, right?). I love cooking and baking, my mom owned a bakery years ago and I developed my love of sweets and making sweets from her. There's always something good to eat at my house, whether it's lemon pie, carrot cake, apple torte, always something sweet and usually good meals (except on really hot days, then it's probably bbq hot dogs lol)

Maybe I need a big sign: WILL COOK FOR FAT QUARTERS OR YARDAGE Think I'll get any offers? lol

denisecolli
August 11th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I DON'T COOK standing joke in our house is that I don't know how to turn the oven on or that if DH. Is ill it's cottage pie :) We swopped roles years ago I work full time DH loves to cook

rebeccas-sewing
August 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
We had chicken salad sandwiches and some soup from a package Joe brought back from Norway. That was last night's dinner. I usually cook more than I need so we can eat leftovers for a while. Gosh, there's very little need to cook these days with all the convenience foods out there. My sister never cooks. She buys pre-prepared foods from her grocery store. Tonight we'll have fresh tortellini from our local store and I'll throw together a simple salad. I also buy whole chickens and throw them in the oven. I don't even bother with spices, rubs, etc. I can get a lot of meat off a 4 or 5 pound chicken. Cook broccoli for 3 minutes in boiling water, tiny potatoes in a pot of boiling water for maybe 15-20 minutes. Voila! Dinner is served. Leftovers often go into Chicken Tortilla soup, chicken salad (add 1/2 c. fat-free plain yogurt and 1/4 c. full-fat mayo, some sliced celery and whatever onions are in the fridge.) I'm not into fancy cooking. My daughter enjoys that but she's 25 and not burned-out on cooking!

Here's a website I've really been enjoying! Sarah Carey has a different simple meal she shares on video along with the recipe to print for every day cooking. She's a lot of fun. No fee. Just sign up. Every week day you'll get an email directing you to the day's video. http://www.marthastewart.com/899829/everyday-food-sarah-carey

rebeccas-sewing
August 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
This doesn't quite relate to our discussion but thought it was interesting considering how expenses fresh herbs can be.

http://www.thekitchn.com/freeze-herbs-in-olive-oil-173648?utm_campaign=topblock&utm_medium=web&utm_source=main-entry

Klasien
August 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I make a menu every week, put it all on paper and go to the store, it works great!
Like a lot on here, I do not hate to cook, I hate to be the one who has to decide what is for dinner......and most of the time there is 1 person who does not like it.......
The days I don't feel like making dinner..........I am lucky to have a son who is learning to be a chef.....when he does not have to work he is my personal chef.......
One picture is my son at work, the other one is me and my "little" boy........ ;)

PS: I am not short....he is tall.......;) I am about 5,8" my son Robert is 6,7" (proud mama)

DCM
August 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM
On the weekend I make a weekly menu based on the evenings my DH will be home for dinner -- if he's not home then DS and I go out (we like to eat out more than my DH does). I plan my grocery list for the weekly shopping on the menu for the week. I like to cook and especially like to bake - my guys really appreciate home baked things for breakfast. The kitchen is pretty much my turf -- I like doing dishes, too.

Sandy Navas
August 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I guess I'm lucky in a cooking kind of way, hubby does the cooking. I cant stand that long to make a meal anymore on a daily basis. I do cook probably once a week when I'm feeling up to it. He always tries to come in and help tho. I really hate my illness. That poor man works all day then comes home to cook. Don't worry, we eat a lot off the grill which he loves to do. Plus he doesn't do manual labor, he's the boss man so he's at his desk a lot. And ladies, he LOVES to clean!! Yea, I said it, he does. He's a freaking neat freak. It's heaven. Still, I swear I have the best DH in the world!!

Oh, send that man over here!!! Al and I had quite a discussion last night because he'll do something like make a grand show of picking up a piece of something on the floor and then look at me as if I should have gotten to it before . . . I have to remind him that I am not his hired help.

BellasQuilts
August 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Rebecca. I signed up for this. I usually grill everything. Veggies are always steamed. I make great white rice, so usually have that too. We love veggies here and I wish I knew more things to do with them. Hopefully Sarah's email will show me. We are going to put in an herb garden in our backyard redo. Neighbor just did his yard with all organic plants and everything is edible out there. Hubby got the bug, so they are going to give us a plan for our yard too. I don't want it to that degree of edible, but since we have both gone braindead trying to figure out what to do out there, they are going to help us do the layout.

K. McEuen
August 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hey cool, let them redo your backyard with edible plants, then you all can just go outside and graze instead of cooking.

Meli
August 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
For the past several years my work schedule has made it so I don't get home until 7. Then I start making dinner and we eat around 8. DH gets home about 3, rarely does anything in the kitchen. Part of me is annoyed by this, but then I remember his "one pot meals" and give him a HUGE break! In September, I'm going on the same shift as him and should have plenty of time to make a decent meal. Hopefully they'll be more exciting than hamburger patties with green beans and mashed potatoes,

Now, I've said DH doesn't do that well in the kitchen. Where he shines, however, is outside with his smoker, which he got last summer. He can do some amazing things on that and has gotten quite creative. He's so good, in fact, that his commander recently paid him to smoke 5 turkeys for a church function. If you've never had a smoked turkey, let me know. I'll add you to the guest list for Thanksgiving!

SuzyQue
August 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I could not live without my crockpot. On those rare days that I might get to quilt and sew all day, I fill that baby and turn it on in the a.m. and I forget it and sew! I am like Klaisen in this category......I hate to decide what to make. I really don't mind the cooking and baking, even the dishes. I just hate to think about what to fix. I have started the family making menus on Sunday after lunch. Everyone knows that they better come to the table with ideas. I fill out the chart according to my time available, when people will be here, etc. It has so freed up my brain and made the cooking part stress free. Now I can lay out and defrost the night before, chop extra veggies as I go, whatever. It has streamlined my kitchen time. So my advice is a menu of some type....you don't have to stick with it if it doesn't work that night......and a crockpot!

MRoy
August 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I hate to cook and I've probably cooked more in the past month with the grandkids here than I've cooked in the last year. I was off work yesterday so I cooked a huge roast and made a big pot of sloppy joes too so I won't have to do as much during the weekend. DH will definitely miss the grandkids when they leave...partly because I won't cook as much.

bakermom
August 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
for the two of us i cook once or twice a week. Then we eat leftovers till they're gone. i still tend to cook too much-going from 7 down to 2 in just a few years. depending on what I've made-soup for example-always make too much- i will pack some off to one of the kids that's close by. thing about that is, my kids are all good cooks themselves and are still at the point where it's fun. Many years ago when my kids were young, DH worked 2nd shift. i got used to making very simple kid-friendly meals. when his work changed it was a culture shock! "what!! i have to cook a REAL supper?!!"

New York Sue
August 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I have to try that weekly menu idea...
It's difficult for me to come up with an idea or execute a plan when the temperatures are in the 90's. I LOVE to cook in the fall and winter, however. And I'm looking forward to the winter menu again. Pot roast, spaghetti and meatballs, mac and cheese, corned beef and cabbage. YUM
Tonight may just be a store-bought rotissere chicken kind of night. Too hot to cook!
Although the rain may cool things down, with any luck....

Bubby
August 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM
We ate a big Mexican lunch today while out shopping, so our dinner tonight was just salad and fruit for dessert. Please don't think I'm being virtuous, we totally stuffed ourselves at lunch and would explode if we ate a big meal tonight. We live in a tiny town with no place to eat out and no one to call fo delivery...so when we get to a city we take advantage of the restaurants and really fill up!

Slokarma
August 11th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I go thru spells of liking to cook and spells of "I can't think of anything and I don't want to"........So yesterday eve, I fired up the charcoal grill, threw on some burgers and andouille sausages, and then when that was done, I thru on a large steak, and when that was done, I thru on a couple of chicken breasts ( WELL, I didn't want to waste the nice hot charcoal!) and then I packed it all up and put it in fridge, unfroze some buns, bought some tomatoes and corn on the cob from the neighbor and so it's a GET IT YOURSELF, it's in the fridge kind of weekend!

bec
August 12th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I used to bake a lot, but since we have changed our diet, I seldom bake...except for sandwich bread. I don't buy bread.

For dinner we had grilled salmon (which had been marinated), a package of yellow rice, and steamed asparagus.

We eat a lot of veggies, rice, and beans. We have fish about once a week. I have a couple of good recipes for fish. As for vegetables, we usually steam them, except for green beans. For an easy veggie dish... sometimes I just skin and cut tomatoes into chunks and mix with sliced yellow summer squash and sliced sweet onions, drizzle it with Good Seasons italian dressing and let it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Here's a new recipe that I recently tried. It's a quinoa salad. We like it a lot and it's very healthy. http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

I have a recipe for Garlicky Sesame Cured Broccoli that is different. It's served cold. It's on the New York Times website, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/dining/201arex.html, but I use a little less salt. It's a good side dish with grilled meat entrees.

OR what about a bean burrito. I use wheat tortillas and put refried beans, diced onion, diced tomatoes, chopped jalapeno (from a jar), and shredded cheddar cheese on them, then wrap them up. I put them in the microwave one at a time for about 1 min., 20 sec. Serve topped with warmed salsa ( I make mine), fresh homemade guacamole, and a side salad of lettuce and tomato. It is an easy meal and can be made ahead of time.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

paulettepoe
August 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I live alone, and I have the same problem, it would be hard to have someone else to think about. cereal cuts it for me some nights.