PDA

View Full Version : Job Scam

phoots
August 10th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Wednesday I went on a website I go on nearly every day to look for a job. I saw a listing for "Data Entry/Accounting Clerk" and clicked on it. It sounded like a job I could handle and it said to forward resume to an email address. So I did that.

Thursday I got a reply to the email with my resume. They were interested in doing an online interview. I was to download Yahoo Messenger and wait to be contacted. I did that and within about 15 mintues I was contacted. The lady, Mary, told me the name of the company, their address in Dallas, TX, and an explaination of what they do. Mary said that they are planning on opening an office in Las Vegas but that they need people to work from home online until the office opens. She explained the duties. She explained that I would not be a contract employee, that I would be an employee of the company and get all the benefits, health, dental, vision, 401k, paid time off, etc.

Then she started with interview question. What type of experience do I have? What did I do at my most recent job? How would I handle an upset customer? After a few more question like that she told me that she needed to consult with the other hiring managers and that I should wait online. I waited about 3 minutes when Mary return and said, "Good news, you're hired."

I was over the moon with excitement!! My BF would be so happy!!

Mary went on to tell me that I would be provided with a laptop to work from loaded with all the software I would need. I would go through 2 days of orientation and then start my training. I just needed to paid the $360 for the software which would be reimbursed in my first paycheck.

That was my first red flag.

I needed to stall so I explained to Mary that it would take me a day or two to get the funds together. I would email her when I was ready to proceed. She then asked me, "Well, how much do you have right now?" HUGE red flag went up!! I then said that there are job scams out there and I would like to do some checking before I continue. I would email her when I was ready to proceed. Mary became angry, "I'm a mother of two young children. How dare you think that I am scamming you." Again I said, I'm not comfortable at this time. I will email you when I am ready to proceed. She said ok and our conversation neded.

I then went to Google and looked up the name of the company. There actually is a company by that name. And they have offices in Texas...but not at the address she gave me. At that point I didn't know what else to do. There is a TV station here that helps out consumers, so I sent them an email. I got a call back right away. Yes, this does sound like a scam. Would I be willing to do an on camera interview to warn other people in the area of this scam. Yes, of course!

Now I can't sleep. I feel slightly embarassed and ashamed that I almost fell for this scam. What if they got into my computer? No, I've got really good spyware, malware, antivirus. At least I hope I do. What if....STOP IT!!!

I tried my usual tricks for falling asleep but they didn't work. Please, please pray for me. I want to cry right now but the tears won't come. I brought this on myself. I blame myself. How was I supposed to know??? I wasn't. It all looked so real. Maybe I trust people too much.

Please pray for me.

Thank you.

Pam in Vegas

Bubby
August 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Pam...You have absolutely nothing to be embarassed about....you did everything right! You asked the right questions and didn't give out any more information than most of us would have done! This definitely sounds like a scam, but you haven't been scammed. You called their bluff and protected yourself! By sharing your story you will be protecting others. It's really sick when people like this try to rip off people who are struggling to survive and who need jobs. Hugs, Barb

Blondie
August 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Pam, what a horrible experience. Thankfully they did not pull the wool completely over your eyes. Hopefully this will your outing them will save folks who are in the same situation as you from being taken completely in.

quilter.martha
August 10th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Pam, don't be so hard on yourself. You need a job and of course you had your hopes up. That alone could cause you to (almost) fall for the scam. It sounded very real to me too, until they got to the $$ part. I'm sure they've scammed many people during these desperate times.

I pray your computer and personal information is safe. Also, as a word of warning to all of us, NEVER give info like bank accounts or SS numbers out over the phone! Even if it is legitimate! It is far better to be safe than sorry.

a1angiem
August 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I think you should be PROUD!!! #1. the key word is "ALMOST"...because you realized it WAS a scam! Some people go all the way. These scammers know what they're doing and are manipulators to get the trust and info of innocent people! #2. you are SAVING other people from these scammers!!! You totally did the RIGHT thing by going public and are a HERO!!! #3. you are BRAVE and kind to tell us about it here and WARN us too! Thank you! In these times when people need a job scammers prey on the trusting and vulnerable.
Keep us posted - good luck with the on-camera investigation - hope your computer is safe (I'm sure it will be fine...the scam seems to be in the after-call).

Jean Sewing Machine
August 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Pam, you were so smart to put a screeching halt on this! Companies like this prey on the people looking for work, and fleece them for money. One of my friends got into one of these scams about online sales. Shr had done business with a legitimate online company, where she got a commission for the sales calls she answered. When that ended, she found another one. She signed up for that, somehow she gave them her credit card number and they charged her $9000 per month for a couple of months. Now, she has to deal with trying to get that off her credit card and not having to file for bankrupcy. I am so glad you didn't get into something like that. You are a smart girl indeed. Sleep well, my dear, you saved yourself from someing that could have been very bad.

RiverMomm
August 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Pam, you should be proud of yourself. These jerks know exactly what to say to make people fall for their scams. They have thier scam done to a fine art, but YOU were smarter. Not only that, but you are going to save a lot of other people the heartache of losing money and self respect in the very time when they can least afford it.

Pat yourself on the back! You're the gold medal winner here!!!!

madampolo
August 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM
How can you say you brought this on yourself? All you did was apply for a job, and they were the crooks. You were the smart one! I hope you do the on camera interview and save someone less aware of being scammed.

DCM
August 10th, 2012, 08:47 AM
You didn't do anything wrong -- you were answering what you thought was a legitimate job ad and in this day and age of technology an online interview isn't out of the ordinary. You were smart to recognize the warning signs of a scam -- and who knows, your on camera interview for the news might end up landing you a job -- a lot of people watch the news. Pat yourself on the back - you realized something was wrong before they got too much info from you.

bec
August 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM
The most important thing is that you DIDN"T fall for the scam. You were sharp enough to see the red flags. I doubt that they were getting into your computer or she wouldn't have gotten so mad. They wanted money. I hope your TV interview helps others who aren't as sharp as you from being scammed. I would love to hear if those low-lifes get caught.

madampolo
August 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
One more thing. I hope the authorities answer the ad and nail down the scammers for fraud. They can trace the address of the person on the I.M., and put them behind bars.

NanaB
August 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I am so sorry that someone tried to scam you. Glad that you realized what was going on and didn't fall for it. It is horrible that, in these tough times, there are crooks out there who are willing to stoop to taking advantage of people like this. By all means, go on the TV and hopefully that will prevent someone from falling for it. Put it behind you if possible. It could have been worse, but you are a smart cookie and saw through it early.

Jilli
August 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
You listened to that inner voice telling you to stop. That is wonderful! It's very hard for most of the world right now. And heartless people know that, so they promise the moon to everyone. But thanks to you, and the actions you are taking, they won't be able to last much longer. You will be the reason no one else, who sees you and hears your story, will lose their last few dollars. That's such a great gift to give others these days.

You will find a job. Everything has a funny way of working out. Keep faith that you have what it takes to make it. Keep on keeping on, and you will be the answer to someone's prayers.

carolv
August 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
We just had a local person scammed but she was older and believed them when they said " we need your checking account number and last check number to make sure there are no problems with your account". Her daughter said she managed to call everyone before they did too much damage, less than $100.00. There is a special kind of karma for lowlife's who prey on other people.

quiltingtrish
August 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I hope they put them away too. There are too many people being taken and you, fortunately, saw the red flags. My girlfriend has been looking for jobs - oh, and also my sister, and all they talk about is how you have to fill this application or that one out on line and now there are those out there trying to take advantage of that!!
I'm glad you 'caught her' in her own scam and yes, that's why she got angry.

Hugs for you -

Sandy Navas
August 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I am totally disgusted. Given the hard times people are facing - no work available to those who want to work - and to take advantage of that is so against every fiber of my being. Pam, hold your head HIGH - you are smarter than they are. I get so much junk mail with similar offers - scams, spams, it is gross.

Pam, I pray that the right kind of job will come your way real soon. Oh, and don't forget to notify the on-line company you have been dealing with that this place is scamming.

Don't click those internet sites that promise - earn $7260 a month from home. It just doesn't happen.

Good luck in your job search. Don't give up and don't fret.

alliek
August 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Don't be afraid!! You did a good thing. Smart Lady. Good for you. Those worms that take advantage of people's good nature and trusting souls, especially in this economy, should be caught and punished severely. You have something good around the corner Pam, we are all praying for you. I am sorry you went through this, but at least you called them out. Just think of what a sorry creature that person was who has to live with herself every day. You are head and shoulders above them all. Stand Tall. We are proud of you. :icon_happy:

auntiemern
August 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Pam, be thankful that you are smart enough and instincts kicked in before you fell for it. I doubt that they were able to hack you since they didn't really have access to your system thru the email. Glad you saw the light before you lost your money. I wish more people would be wary and put all of them out of business.

Tamara J Liddell
August 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Stands up and applauds Pam.. Great job lady, you caught them at their own game.

I agree with what everyone has said here.

lilmouse
August 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Pam, be very proud of yourself...you saw the red flags and I know it hurt you very much....however you called them on it and by going on tv. you will save others from falling for it...that makes you a hero...even if you only save one person...you are still a hero to that person...we are all very proud of you for seeing the red flags and calling foul on them....good job...thinks maybe the tv. deal will get you a job...permanently. Will continue to pray for you....and hold your head up high.....you are one smart cookie!

bakermom
August 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM
don't be embarrassed ! you DIDN'T fall for it, you caught on and let her KNOW you were wise to her.

BellasQuilts
August 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
We are proud of you for NOT getting scammed. I'm even more proud that you are going on TV. Maybe someone will see you on the tube and give you a job! Best advertising there is. Plus, you are going to save many others from getting scammed too. YOU GO GIRL!!

nurrsey
August 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
With your smart thinking, you will help others avoid this scam too.....good job.

Monique
August 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I am with everyone else here. Good for you!

janluna
August 15th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Pam, they rely on people feeling bad about being scammed. People don't like telling others they were scammed and those crooks are depending on that. If people don't tell, the next guy may send a check with his bank number on it. Or give his credit card number. You are doing the right thing. God Bless You. Hugs, Jan L.