PDA

View Full Version : Before Picture

Sandy Navas
August 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM

See, I told you it was platinum blonde . . . that's my DD when she was about six years old. So that would make me about 31 in this picture. UGLY, huh?

And, at 68 I have fewer grey hairs than I do my natural color - in fact, I bet if you lined all my greys up end to end they wouldn't reach M*QC from me . . . I'm so lucky. (Don't color either . . . natural color is medium brown).

auntiemern
August 9th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Oh honey, you are beautiful :). So is your DD. I was platinum blonde in my younger years as well. I probably do have you beat in the gray dept. It just doesn't show tho cuz of the blonde. Have never colored either, just a few highlights. But do keep it curly permed. But I assure you I have plenty of gray. One of our days in court (hearing or sentencing for my Bubby's abuser) my daughter was sitting behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and tells me "**** mom, you sure have a lot of gray hair" to which I replied, "Yes, and you gave me everyone of them."

meemeecyn
August 10th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Sandy, you are and/were beautiful on the outside as well as the inside.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Ahh, time marches on! Pretty lady! Beautiful hair. My blonde is courtesy of Miss Clairol, thankyouverymuch!

HandsOffItsMine
August 10th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Both of you are beautiful!

For us gals with grays coming in! My skunk line came in at 29, lol, a bit earlier than the norm in my family. Actually within six month of my Mom being diagnosed. It runs on both sides though. My dad's mom had the most beautiful silver hair by early 40s, wish mine was all that - not yet. Sure would be easier 'cause I would do it all silver.

Marilyn, I'm like you...I keep blaming Don, Kat, and Matt for every new streak section that I get. Those three better knock it off, it's costing me a fortune in Miss Clairol! I need two boxes every four weeks now, d*mn it!!! :icon_angry:

lilmouse
August 10th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Sandy, to us you are always beautiful....inside and out....my hair is salt and pepper and the salt started when I was 12! I gave up on Ms. Clairol...the last of the dye comes off next hair cut in about a month.....just got a bunch taken off last night.

Musical_Starling
August 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Beautiful picture :) I think I may have a few more grey hairs than you though, and I'm only 26 lol I don't dye my hair though, because I started a tradition after my wedding day last year that I'm going to stick to. Two days after I got married I cut off almost all of my hair (12" of it which was undyed/untreated) and gave it to Wigs for Kids in memory of my grandmother who passed three months prior. So every five years on our anniversary I'll chop it all off again and it'll make more kiddie wigs :) And the good news is they take grey hair, so I'm safe lol But the bad news is, no hair dye for me. But I'm okay with a few greys, they make me look closer to the 50-something year old lady I feel like on the inside lol

ElaineP
August 10th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I think my grey hair might make it from here to M*QC!!!!!

phoots
August 10th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Sandy, you're beautiful. I quit coloring my hair about a year ago because of money. Now I'm about ready to start again because I've started noticing a few greys. My Mom has the most beautiful hair at the age of 77, thanks to the box of color!

Pam in Vegas

rebeccas-sewing
August 10th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Lucky you! I started turning gray at least 20 years ago! It's really hard to hide it on a brunette. I had to laugh thinking about Mom. She died her hair 'til the end. Sandy, don't go making "UGLY" remarks about your looks. I've always loved your face and your heart is always in the right place in my book. That head of hair is gorgeous! I'm sure you got lots of looks from the men on the streets when you passed by with that mane. LOL

Bubby
August 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Sandy....You're gorgeous now and always have been! I love your hair then and I'm sure I would love it now! It's what's inside that matters. I'm cursed with red hair....and now it's turning gray, so I try to blend it in with streaks. Most redheads don't gray well. My Grandma Nan had natural blazing red hair without one single gray hair when she passed at 90! She also didn't have a wrinkle on her face....why didn't I get her genes!! Huggers, Barb

pcbatiks
August 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Sandy, great picture of you and your DD! A friend of mine will occasionally say she is going to have the "Sparkle" or "highlights" taken out of her hair! I have a little sparkle in mine too!

CrazyMtnLady
August 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Sandy, you were and are a beautiful woman. Your smile is wonderful.

I was born blonde and have always been blonde except that one time it came out RED!
My mother had the most beautiful snow white hair and I always said if I could have hair like hers I wouldn't worry about the my hair changing color, but I have yucky gray and with the help of Miss Clairol I can keep it as close to my natural color as possible.

Denis
August 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I remember a time when I use to have hair :icon_sniff:...didn't matter to me what colour it was! :icon_rofl:

Lenie
August 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
O Sandy, what a lovely picture! Two gorgious girls. Thanks for showing!

New York Sue
August 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I honestly would LOVE to wake up one morning, and just be that woman with the beautiful gray head of hair!
Surely we all know someone like this. (It usually happens with young people, who are prematurely gray, I think...)
If I got the 'skunk stripe', I would lop it all off into a cute pixie cut, and just be done. I would SO embrace that!
Just a month or two of wierd hair, not bad.
This red-brown going to gray SLOW, not so becoming. And expensive!
When I turn 60, I think, I'll be getting that pixie and see what happens.
Or maybe sooner! The girls at the Macy's make-up counter will be consulted, for sure. ;)

EnumclawGramma
August 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I remember a time when I use to have hair :icon_sniff:...didn't matter to me what colour it was! :icon_rofl:

LOL Denis! Glad you jumped in on this one! My morning giggle! Thank you!

Sandy Navas
August 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Denis made me giggle, too. Anyone seen that picture of the guy with the tatoo on the back of his head that looks like someone pushing a lawn mower? I used to claim that was a picture of Al (not him though) but it sure looks like the back of his.

True confession time. I am blessed with a head of hair that is thicker and stronger than most - Al always says he married me because I had so MUCH hair. DD and the girls (except for Michelle) all have more hair than the law allows, too - as did my mother and her family.

When I was about 18 I started messing with my hair color (who knows why?) Why do we do that? So I used to go have my hair professionally done every week. I was brown, blonde, red, you name it. Once being the platinum blonde my hair started breaking and it was a mess. My hairdresser said - stop bleaching your hair or you won't have any left. So that night I bought the proper shade of brown and colored my hair . . . it came out BLACK. BLACK hair is NOT my style. What's a gal to do? So, off I went to get the BLEACH to take the black out . . . and I wound up with ORANGE HAIR.

Now I have to tell you that when I was in my early 20's I was like the free wind. I ran with a motorcycle group, was the only female working in a brewery, drove a '66 Oldsmobile convertible, and probably downed too many beers. I knew I couldn't be seen at home with ORANGE hair so I covered it with a scarf until I was out of the house. Put the top down on the convertible and away I went . . . you would not believe the number of accidents I caused with men running off the road because their wives smacked them upside the head for staring (and I used to wave at those guys just to watch what happened . . . I've been known to call out 'Hi, Honey' to them at stop signs) . . . but then I had to stop and grow up.

I continued messing with my hair for years and one night while out to dinner I stopped in the restroom and the bright lights showed my hair to be about the color of red in the American flag. Taken with Dad's comments about "Leave your hair alone - God knew what he was doing and he gave you the RIGHT color," so after that night I never colored or treated my hair again. The first time I saw Dad after it had all grown out I truly expected to hear him say something . . . but he never commented on it again. And it hasn't been touched except to cut since then . . . and I still have enough for two or three people - guess that's why it is so short now . . .

I do tend to run off now and then, don't I?

auntiemern
August 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
We would not want you any other way. I still think we must have been connected in another life. Other than the constant hair changing we were much alike.

Claire Hallman
August 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I have been a Lady Clairol girl off and on during my lifetime. I started getting gray about 20 and started the color routine. My DH still calls me Red from time to time even though I am white, lol. I liked my gray hair as long as it was "prematurely" gray and then when I aged enough I started back with the color. Now I just try and fight the yellowing as much as possible and live with what God gave me.

bobw103
August 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Orange-the color of a good ole Harley Davidson. You old biker babe you :icon_whistle:

BellasQuilts
August 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I think you look great then and now. I am sure I am 100% white under this color. I have dad's hair and it is snow white. I probably am too. No idea how I would stop coloring to go to my new natural color. I color what my hair has always been, dark brown, but sometimes I think I should stop but how would one do that? It would be such a drastic change.

Sandy Navas
August 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
We would not want you any other way. I still think we must have been connected in another life. Other than the constant hair changing we were much alike.

I do know where you live. One of these days when you least expect it I am going to show up on your doorstep. We are going to grab all the MO girls and go visit Jenny and family.

K. McEuen
August 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
My sister asked me about 10 years ago if I was ever going to get grey hair. Said not as long as Loreal is in business. She was shocked, said she had no idea I colored my hair. Then I explained that I did it my color, not everything under the rainbow like her and my other sister. I just want my color. I refuse to go "Bride of Frankenstein" which is what my hair would be if I let it go. Got a streak on each side of my forehead that has turned and mostly no grey in the back. Oh, and my grey is white. Grandma had hair like snow. Mom's was silver. Dad was bald.

auntiemern
August 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Claire, I am sure Blondie could recommend a shampoo to keep your hair from yellowing. I know there are some great ones out there. Just don't go doing that blue thing. Nothing worse than that.
I have been a Lady Clairol girl off and on during my lifetime. I started getting gray about 20 and started the color routine. My DH still calls me Red from time to time even though I am white, lol. I liked my gray hair as long as it was "prematurely" gray and then when I aged enough I started back with the color. Now I just try and fight the yellowing as much as possible and live with what God gave me.

auntiemern
August 10th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Bring it on Sunshine :)
I do know where you live. One of these days when you least expect it I am going to show up on your doorstep. We are going to grab all the MO girls and go visit Jenny and family.

Poppytree
August 11th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I decided that, at the ripe old age of 64, to stop colouring my dark brown hair to keep the grey away. The day we arrived in Australia I made the decision that enough was enough and now I'm sporting the new spice colours - pepper and salt. New life - new hairstyle

Sandy Navas
August 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Oh, and Jane has her own pet koala. Lucky gal!!! Is that a field of heather in the last picture?

Poppytree
August 12th, 2012, 03:08 AM
No bluebells (in an English wood near where we used to live) The koala had a very nice fireman inside too!