PDA

View Full Version : Measure twice, cut once . . . or least that's the idea

RiverMomm
August 9th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Good grief! I measured twice for the border on my latest quilt. And then cut. Yep, cut it wrong. Measured twice again, cut it wrong AGAIN. Glad I have a lot of this fabric. And now I have a lot of scraps of this fabric too!

I will win over this border.

cyndiofthevortex
August 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I feel your pain. I've been there more than once. I just piece the too short border.

Madeforyouinma11
August 9th, 2012, 01:09 PM
That's awful! I am getting ready to cut a border for a quilt I am doing and I've been looking up how to cut it so I don't do it wrong. It is only a lap size quilt but bigger than I've done so I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Good luck! They say " third times a charm" hope they're right for your sake.

HandsOffItsMine
August 9th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I feel both of your pains...been there, done that! If I could drink, I would have poured myself a strong one. lol

May the 3rd time be the charm!

Bubby
August 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I've done the same thing more than once. It sure makes your stash grow by leaps and bounds! Hang in there and don't let it defeat you!!!

RiverMomm
August 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Math . . . such a hard concept. If you mess it up the first time and don't check it the second time, you will make the same mistake. Just so you know 2.5 X2.5 isn't 4.

The border is done, the quilt top is ironed and laying on the floor (waiting for a cat to sleep on it I guess). Next up is the backing. I always want the backing. sandwiching and quilting to go fast because I get excited to see what the finished quilt will look like. And I only quilt in the ditch. How excited will I be if I ever FMQ?!?!?

Jean Sewing Machine
August 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
This was my late husband's mantra. He was very precise. He built the stud wall for an entire basement of 3 rooms using this method, measuring many times, and cutting the studs to fit perfectly. The entire thing was put together without one nail (except for the ceiling plate). Of course it took him months to do. When it was all studded, I said "Oh good, we can start hanging drywall", then he told me he had to number every stud, take it all down and nail it all in place. I was ready to go crazy when I heard that. But he did that last step pretty quickly, and we finally got our basement done. Funny thing, every one of those measurements and cuts took at least a half of a bottle of beer to complete, if that were me with that much beer, it would have been so crooked!

bakermom
August 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
yeah, done that, more than once.
another annoying thing is to rip out a seam sewn wrong and promptly resew it wrong again.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 9th, 2012, 02:41 PM
yeah, done that, more than once.
another annoying thing is to rip out a seam sewn wrong and promptly resew it wrong again.

Sometimes, I wonder how I could have been sewing for so many years, and still be this dumb!

auntiemern
August 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Been there, done that. We can't really call ourselves quilters unless we make those kind of no brainer mistakes. lol

Sandy Navas
August 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
This was my late husband's mantra. He was very precise. He built the stud wall for an entire basement of 3 rooms using this method, measuring many times, and cutting the studs to fit perfectly. The entire thing was put together without one nail (except for the ceiling plate). Of course it took him months to do. When it was all studded, I said "Oh good, we can start hanging drywall", then he told me he had to number every stud, take it all down and nail it all in place. I was ready to go crazy when I heard that. But he did that last step pretty quickly, and we finally got our basement done. Funny thing, every one of those measurements and cuts took at least a half of a bottle of beer to complete, if that were me with that much beer, it would have been so crooked!

I am surprised you have any hair on your head. I'd be pulling mine out!! Cute story.

Sandy Navas
August 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM
My younger (Li'l Sis) sister (who has been quilting longer than I am old) made such a drastic mistake on a quilt she was working on that she had promised in a quilt show. What did she do? She duplicated three of the blocks in smaller scale, and added to the border to make it long enough. Everyone was complimenting her on such a clever border . . . and I told them it was MY idea.

Actually she did call and ask me if I thought should could get away with it. I thought it was very neat and everyone though she was brilliant.

Runs in the family . . . heeeeheeeeheee!

lilmouse
August 10th, 2012, 03:08 AM
My way of measuring for borders is simple...I lay the top on my bed; pin on end of border to the top; slowly smooth it down to the bottom...slide small cutting mat underneath; double check that everything is smooth and then I cut...very carefully as I don't want to cut my bed quilt....took me months to make that puppy...poor fiance got his Christmas present in July! Anyway, no math involved and very hard to make a mistake!

cassie a newbiequilter
August 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
been there done that,, went to get some more material and cant find any exactualy the same:(

Jilli
August 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM
The math part, ya know- fractions, are what is keeping me from just doing it. Oh and everytime I get the stuff out I will hear the little patter of my 14 month old's feet and that wonderful little giggle. And the everything starts disappearing. LOL

But I'm scared to actually measure and cut. How will I ever be a quilter?