PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Observations

Meli
August 8th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Like a large number people across the globe, I have spent the last week or so watching the Olympics. I've fallen in love with kayaking, crewing, track, gymnastics, and have discovered beach volley ball and, most surprisingly, table tennis (who knew ping pong could become an Olympic event?) Throughout it all, I've been thinking of something Daisy said about not being sure Olympics are a good idea in these economically challenging times. And throughout it all, I've been impressed, over and over again, but the sportsmanship and camaraderie that I've observed in most of the athletes, regardless of their origins.

The women's beach volleyball teams who took gold and silver, who hugged each other enthusiastically after the deciding point.
The track athletes who all congratulate each other after each run, regardless of who won
And in the semi-finals for the mens 400m track, the winner Kirani James of Grenada immediately turned to look for Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee who finished last. Kirani hugged him tight, then asked to exchange bibs. The commentator was stunned, said that was something he had never seen happen before.

Throughout all the games, I have seen a unity that we sadly lack in our world, and I am grateful to all of them for the examples they set for their host countries to follow.

auntiemern
August 8th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Have been in awe for the most part. I don't like that we are seeing everything taped though, and hearing the results ahead of time. I still love to watch, but when they tell you the results ahead of time, it kinda takes the anticipation away. Goes to show though, that it isn't the citizens of countries that have the problems, it is the politicians and radicals.

Jess1377
August 8th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Have been in awe for the most part. I don't like that we are seeing everything taped though, and hearing the results ahead of time. I still love to watch, but when they tell you the results ahead of time, it kinda takes the anticipation away. Goes to show though, that it isn't the citizens of countries that have the problems, it is the politicians and radicals.

You hit the nail right on the head! The problems most definitely are the politicians / politics & the radicals and not the citizens of any given country. The spirit of the olympics are still alive at least!