PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning to Monday

Blondie
August 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM

Is it Monday morning yet Folksies? Yikes! I slept long and hard last night at Mom's. It was a slow and long walk up the Hill to find a good cup of coffee. The grand dogs will be here shortly and Gracie is ready ready ready to play. My middle son is coming over for a visit today as well, hopefully. I haven't seen him since Mother's Day. He doesn't live that far away but his vehicle is not reliable and his work schedule doesn't always jive with ours. I sure miss him. Actually, it is all the oldest one's fault. I have never truly gotten over his growing up and leaving us to have a life of his own. Then the other two kiddies grew up as well and decided to get a life. Sigh. Whenever I hear the baby birds in my shrubbery crying out for their Mommies, and I watch the parents frantically gathering up food to offer their babes, I think, That is exactly what it's all about. Take care of them, teach them to fly and off they go. Each kid of mine has such a different personality and my Josh is the sensitive tender hearted one. I know each of you Moms out there can relate to how difficult it is to keep your mouth shut. My personality is strong and because I was a single mom more than half of their lives, I could easily alienate them by expressing myself too much. LOL. Let kids find out on their own. After all, do young adults really ever listen to their parents? Don't tell a story now. I have a nice long stick to use as a pinochio nose it you need one!

Off to find more coffee. Have a splendid day. I can't wait to give Josh a big squeeze and cut his long red hair!

Monique
August 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Good morning Blondie. I find it hard to keep my mouth shut at times too. Hugs to you and Josh.

It was so freaking hot yesterday that is was almost unbearable. We did get rain but not enough. The temperature and the humidity has dropped drastically.

I have to work all week, so I better soon get off of here. I am looking forward to the weekend as I should have my granddaughters for the weekend. I need a baby fix.

I did get some more quilting done on the baby quilt. Need that done by the weekend. OY!!

Have a great day everyone. Wil catch up with you later this evening.

Bubby
August 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Good Morning!

Yes, a fresh new week. DH stayed home from work today with an awful sinus attack. He was called to work Saturday morning so he has put his time in. After two surgeries on his sinuses I thought he would be better, but that's not the case.

Blondie, how did you get a redhead? Both of my sisters were blondes as children but their hair got dark later in life. My parents had dark brown hair and I got red hair just like my Grandma. When Grandma left us at age 90 she still had a full hair of blazing red hair and never got a gray hair. I'm not doing that well. Grandma used to tell me it was because I don't drink coffee! Enjoy your visit with your son today.

I wish everyone a great day...Hugs, Barb

MRoy
August 6th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Good morning! It rained all weekend here...we must have gotten 4 or more inches. From the looks of my overgrown lawn, the drought is over! Grandchildren and son are still visiting. DGS had a bicycle wreck last Wednesday. He and I had to make a trip to the ER to get stitches in his leg...21 in all. We'll be taking him back to the dr tomorrow to get them checked and find out when they can come out. The baby quilt the grandkids are making for their new half-brother is almost done. I need to quilt the borders and bind it. They did a great job making the top.

Have a great day everyone!

buckeyequilter
August 6th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Good morning everyone...

Well back to work. I know how hard it is to keep my mouth shut but my kids are adults and I know, when I was their age, I didn't need advice from the parents LOL

I worked on Mom's quilt over the week-end - just doesn't seem like I got as much done as I wanted to. My sister and I have an appointment with an attorney this morning to see what needs to be done to get the power of attorney stuff taken care of - my mom has already given permission (I would not be a part of this without it).

I need to get a pincushion sent off soon, I think I'll try to get that finished up tonight and put it in tomorrow's mail.

Everyone have wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

aliaslaceygreen
August 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Morning!!!
Kids, listening to parents? Blondie, surely you jest?

Hope it's not as humid today as it was yesterday! Ugh...you needed a knife to cut thru the air. Crazy. I have purchased all the containers I need for the continuing studio re-do, I believe. I hope to finish the first draft, if you will, tomorrow.

THEN, I will do some serious editing of fabrics, labeling and photographing of contents and HOPEFULLY start some quilt sewing after that. I am, BTW, in serious need of some inspiration for REALLY scrappy quilts!

Alana
August 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Oh how true dear Blondie....Both mine have grown with babes of their own. I hardly see them let alone get phone calls. They both have such busy lives now it seems and I do wish they would just slow down. But isn't that what my father said to me too? I do miss them both so much and all four of my grands who in themselves are so grown now as well.
All we can do is teach them the best we can. I too was single parent for more than half their lives and feel like I missed out on so much with them being so busy holding down two or three jobs. It was like I never really had the time to spend with them I wanted. And now they are four and five hours drive away, both living a very hectic life working like mad trying to make ends meet like everyone else. Sometimes I wish the whole world would slow down just a little....sigh....But ya know, it seems the older we get the faster time goes by!!!!! What's with that???
I have the day off today as it is a holiday here in Ontario Canada. I have just moved and now I am trying to set everything up. Today will give me the chance to start a new quilt top for the first time in about two months!!!! Ahhhhh.....I sure need my quilting fix.

Hope everyone has a great day......!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Today is my last day at the ocean. We're 3/4 done with our upholstery project. After living with 100+ heat for most of the summer, it's hard to deal with temps in the 50s and ocean breezes! Sweatshirt sales are brisk here! My brother met up with an Army buddy of his yesterday, he and his wife are delightful, we'll be meeting them for lunch today on our way back to Portland. Then it's back to Missouri on the redeye tonight.

toggpine
August 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Morning all!

It was the hottest day of the year yesterday. Not that it's been bad here, but I think that is why it caught us off guard. No one in my house wanted to do much but sit near the fan and watch the Olympics. Thankfully we are getting some cooler weather in today. We'll all be happier and hopefully more productive today!

Not much exciting planned for today. A bit of paperwork this morning after farm chores, and then hopefully sometime at the sewing table.

You all have a good day!
Cathy

SuzyQue
August 6th, 2012, 10:28 AM
After a busy day of church activities yesterday, then taking care of my mom's business, ie, pharmacy, grocery store, wrapping 11 gifts for her club surprise, some cleaning, etc.....I hope to take care of my business, ie, a few errands, grocery run, a stop to try to match some thread I need, emergency trip to the orthodontist, etc.............hopefully, I can get back to my Dresdens. I did get all the background squares cut and all the plates adhered, but alas, only one plate successfully appliqued onto the background. I am well pleased with the look! Now to get to the other 31! No stress here......this will be a fun part! Just a little time consuming.

EnumclawGramma
August 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Good Morning! HOT HOT yesterday, first time this Summer! I'm not complaining, I loved it and today is going to be beautiful! Cooler, but sunny.

Aw Blondie. My middle child is also a Josh, VERY sensitive and tender hearted. He is the one going through the cancer treatment. He lives about an hour from us and is really busy living. I rarely get to see him and always want to wrap my arms around him and not let him go. He was such an easy boy to raise, never (and this is NO exaggeration) a problem with him EVER.

My 3 grew up so fast. Now I have Grandchildren who are at the threshold of the teen years. How did we get here? My DH tells my kids "turn around slowly one time and they're grown and gone". Hindsight tells us you have to really enjoy every minute, but when you're the parent there are always meals to cook, housework to do, boo boos that need to be kissed and life just gets so busy. I guess that's one of the MANY reasons Grands are such a joy! You have more time to take it all in.

Hopefully having a quiet day today with time to finish my Halloween blocks and sandwich a quilt I'm making for my Daughter in law. I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!

CrazyMtnLady
August 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Good Morning. Hubby got home late last night from his gun show weekend. I slept in a bit this morning but had to get up and check in here. I will have to catch up on the weekend posts on and off during the day.
We got some much needed rain Friday night and early Saturday morning. Then it cleared up and got hot again. But is suppose to cool off this week.

Productive weekend here. I did a bit of rearranging in the bedroom area and got caught up on what little laundry we had. Funny how when it is in the 100s you just don't wear many clothes. Most of the laundry was towels used from swimming in the pool. I also finished the Crown Royal pillow. Will make a post with pictures.

Hugs and prayers to those in need.

Sandy Navas
August 6th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Whoa! There Nellie, slow down. What exciting lives are being lead (I'm tired just from reading what Suzi has been up to!!). I, too hit the pedal to the metal yesterday and cranked out a bunch of projects that I felt I had to do before this morning shone down on me. Let's see now: 1 doll pillow case, 1 kid pillow case (orders NOW for SIX more), 4 adult king-size pillow cases, two puppy beds with pillows for the AG doll pets (Pepper & Coconut can't sleep on the floor), two purses for the #5 & #6 girls . . . whew!

Al has a foot that is driving him up the wall (and me along with him). He was doing some stretches and we are thinking that he may have pulled some ligaments and/or tendons. He's been limping around and in the process favors it so his gait is off (he looks like a wet pretzel from the back) and now his lower back is bothering him. And here he is in the process of finishing the trundle bed for the AG dolls - can hardly wait to show off pictures to you. Now Nana needs to come up with matresses, sheets, blankets, QUILTS, and pillows with cases . . . OH, and Emily has decided she really needs a canopy and mosquito netting around it. How do we get ourselves involved in all this stuff? Next they will decide they need braided rugs, dog leashes and food and water bowls. No other suggestions, please!!!

Talk about kids being far away - I'll move mine closer to anyone who needs a kid fix (along with her menagerie of children) . . . you know I am kidding. We did spend her formative years a world apart (well, half a world, at least). That has been an on-going bone of contention . . . nuff said. I wouldn't part with the DGDs for anything though. Love those special looks, the honesty that just comes bubbling out along with the naivety. And the looks Baby Agnes gives me that totally express her dismay at all our silliness . . . that look that says "You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!!"

How do I manage to always bite off more than my aging body and mind can handle at once? Today starts what originally was going to be a five day "Artscape" program for Sierra (11), Michelle (10), and Emily (8). And then I got the wild hair that I could do more with them if I had them for TWO WEEKS!!! Ahhhh, pure bliss. So, today we are going to start work on some paper mache. I will have them each take a big sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and make THINKING CAPS, so they can zero in on a collaborative design for a Pinata. Mom and I decided, since they do not need additional cavities (i.e., sweets), that school supplies (pencils, erasers, post-its, that kinda thing, crayons, colored pencils, markers . . . and maybe I'll sneak in a Tootsie Roll or two) will be going into the pinata. They won't know the contents though as I will fill it at the end of the program and they will only discover once we hold a Pinata-busting party.

Other projects will include Friendship Bracelets, Origami, starting their own Scrapbooks, and some art lessons - we're going to do drawing, sketching, pastels, water colors, and acrylics, as well as exposure to fine art, famous artists and paintings. Anyone want to join us? Bring your own 'thinking cap' and a watermelon to share.

I'm tired and I haven't even started!!

Cheers, salud, prayers, hugs, smiles, and a giggle or two if you can conjure up one. I'll see if I can find some laughter today that I just have to share. May the day bring everything you need to make living a joy!!

Madeforyouinma11
August 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Good morning! It's a beautiful day here, not too hot..yet anyway. Hubby and I had a very busy weekend. We went to a pig roast at a friends on Saturday, and then had a very nice visit with hubbys aunt and uncle yesterday. No time left for any sewing at all. Today it's back to painting cabinets and working on my next quilt. I have decided to make a card trick quilt with Blitzen charm pack. I did manage to get one block ready for sewing on Saturday before we left for the pig roast.
Trisha, I was just looking at a quilt at Magnolia Bay Quilts. It's called the 60-degree quilt and it uses all scraps. Looks like it could be fun.
Blondie, I hope you enjoy your day today visiting with your son. My son lives in Florida so I haven't seen him in a year. I have an Ipad so we use face time alot to talk so i can at least see him. Both my daughters are here so I see them all the time, so that's
nice.
Jean, safe trip back home.
Well, gotta go catch up on some posts and get to working on things so I can get back in the sewing room. I want to post pictures of a baby blanket that I finished and delivered on Friday. Need critique so my next one will be better.
Good thoughts and prayers to everyone, and hope you all have a wonderful day!

sewbizzy
August 6th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Woweee!!! everyone has been so busy...thanking God everyday that we can still all do what we do!!!
I have about 12" left of the hand stitched binding on the horse lap quilt I'm doing for one of my gds...also cut out some apple potholders (an order for the shop)...
I'm still keeping busy with my Steeler items---our first big craft show is a Covered Bridge Festival in Washington County, Pa on Sept 15th and 16th...it includes crafts and food items at I believe 8 surrounding covered bridges---some are a few miles apart...it really draws in a big crowd...then our next big show is 3 weeks later, the Delmont Apple Festival...
I better get busy finishing up laundry and then on to the sewing room...
Blessings to all....

Cellomom
August 6th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hubs and son went to a UFC fight at the Staples Center in LA, so I had some time to myself (unless you count the dogs and finch). It's nice to know that you all have similar communications with your adult children. I start to reminisce about when they were children and depended on us for everything, and they thought we knew everything! I'm glad my son can spend time with his dad before he leaves for college in a few weeks. DD and fiance are in NYC. She texted me about her adventures so at least we have technology to help us stay connected.

So I've been learning to quilt on my Grace frame. The first quilt I did came out great and I had minimal trouble. It was straight stitching using the quilting guide (first time I've used that). I just have to quilt a little more on it. I tried FMQ on the second quilt and broke more needles than you can imagine. Ugh! I had to call DH to get more at Joann's in town since he was on his way back from the fight. I figured out that you don't quilt too close the the take-up rail and make darn sure the sandwich is flat. I'm surprised at how just a little tilt on the sandwich breaks the needles. I had a better go of it last night (been listening to all the Brits talking on the Olympics). Hope to finish the FMQ today. Music practice is also on the to do list. I have a pops rehearsal tonight for an upcoming concert this Saturday. Should be a fun time! Have a happy Monday :)

Cellomom
August 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Good Morning. Hubby got home late last night from his gun show weekend. I slept in a bit this morning but had to get up and check in here. I will have to catch up on the weekend posts on and off during the day.
We got some much needed rain Friday night and early Saturday morning. Then it cleared up and got hot again. But is suppose to cool off this week.

Productive weekend here. I did a bit of rearranging in the bedroom area and got caught up on what little laundry we had. Funny how when it is in the 100s you just don't wear many clothes. Most of the laundry was towels used from swimming in the pool. I also finished the Crown Royal pillow. Will make a post with pictures.

Hugs and prayers to those in need.

DOUBLE TAKE!! I was skimming your post and thought you wrote "When you're 100, you just don't wear many clothes." Glad I reread, kind of weird visual. He he....

Sandy Navas
August 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM
DOUBLE TAKE!! I was skimming your post and thought you wrote "When you're 100, you just don't wear many clothes." Glad I reread, kind of weird visual. He he....

Heck, you don't need to be 100 to run around half naked. Haven't you turned the TV on lately?

sewmuchjan
August 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Well good afternoon all, I have reclaimed the livingroom...no longer the guestroom..we live in a very old farmhouse with a lot of add on's..but only one bedroom..the kitchen is 1/2 done...laundry is all done and all extra bedding put way...sewing room is cleaning up a bit and all things the DGD's use put away!!! They don't use Grandma's stash!!! I have bits and pieces for them!!! Need to do more cleaning....but I feel like finding a"NAP" right now...but not sure where to look for one!!!! LOL

Hugs, and Blessing for a great day!!!!
Love Jan G.
Now where did that NAP go???? HUMMMMMM

cyndiofthevortex
August 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Be careful what you wish for! We did get rain yesterday and it knocked over 1/4 of our tomato plants! We hope they'll be okay. DH and I were driving back from Keepsake Quilting to check out the prices of consignment quilts (I may try to sell again up there) and we had to pull off the road it was raining so hard. Except for the tomatos everyone else in the garden looked quite happy to have had a drenching.

Today I am working on two sunflower quilts. I have the top of one finished but am second guessing the outer border. Check out my thread and throw an opinion or two my way. You know the saying, "Many hands make light work." Well, sometimes many eyes help me to see the best way to finish a quilt. Give a gal a hand. I'll appreciate it.

Blondie
August 6th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Nice visit with son, still no rain on our road, it is thundering all around us. If we added up all the 40 per cent chance of rain from the past few weeks, we are missing out on about 200% chance of the wet stuff. I don't want to see my water bill.

Sandy Navas
August 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Blondie, don't remind me - our water bill was over double this month. Of course we do have a pool and the evaporation has made it necessary to add water now and again (I know - conserve) . . . but even when we were filling it fresh every year (because of a leak we couldn't locate) our bill was never this high . . . and I haven't been watering the flower beds, garden, cleaning windows or washing off the deck.

Jan - naps are in the dictionary. Ours are on page 654 but yours may be some other page depending upon the publisher. Sometimes I sweep an extra one or two under the bed when I make it in the mornings. Just in case.

Lonna
August 6th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Good Evening All,

The first of the month is always a busy time for me at work. I seem to just come home and fall out. Did manage to find time Sat to go to my LQS and picked up a few fat quarters other wise did not get any sewing time this past weekend. We have been getting a few showers here in the afternoons although today it was in the evening. DH was mowing the yard and the bottom fell out on him. He was lucky that he was just finishing up. Well I am headed to bed but just wanted to touch base and yell out a hello to all.