PDA

View Full Version : Nectarines, Peaches and Strawberries

Sandy Navas
August 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't want anyone laughing at me because of this - just TRY it. Guaranteed that you will LOVE it. I know, I thought it was ridiculous when I first heard of it but I am game for just about anything . . . ONCE.

Slice your nectarines (or peaches or strawberries) and place in a fancy bowl. Drizzle with BALSAMIC vinegar (the BEST you can afford), and then dust with CRUSHED BLACK PEPPERCORNS. Don't use regular pepper though - freshly crushed are THE best.

DO NOT LAUGH UNTIL YOU TRY THIS. Al and I absolutely love our fresh fruit this way.

bobw103
August 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Hummmm-I am not laughing but my tummy is going flip flop. A very interesting concoction Sandy. Me thinks I will just trust you that it is good....haha

ncgrammie
August 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sandy, you are spot on with this recipe... I’ve done this with strawberries and it is fabulous. I also did this with grilled halved peaches and plums. This makes a lovely dessert done on the charcoal grill. If you already have the grill lit, why not? Have you tried simmering the balsamic vinegar down a bit to make a syrup? Yum. Try it Sandy's way everyone. You will love it.

Bubby
August 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Strawberries with a balsamic reduction have been enjoyed by Italians for centuries....it's really an intriguing combination, and one that I love. When I was a girl my Grandma Nan taught me to put a little ground pepper in with the sugar when sweetening strawberries because it makes the flavor more intense.

I'm right there with you, Sandy.....

HandsOffItsMine
August 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM
My Oma always sprinkled sugar on our strawberries too! :)

I always add some thinly sliced Thai peppers with the peaches, mango, nectarines, strawberries and balsamic vinegar. I do add a bit of brown sugar to the vinegar and pepper for a quick heat up then pour it on the fruit. Love things hot and sour.

Sandy, I'm with you on the pickle juice. Don thinks I'm gross! lol

Slokarma
August 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I don't know who gave me that recipe, but I was as skeptical as you were, but we couldn't eat the strawberries fast enough and normally we ate them sprinkled with a little sugar.

BellasQuilts
August 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Yum. Just happen to have some great peaches, a killer vinegar and pepper corns waiting to be ground up. Dessert for tonite - Thanks Sandy!!!