PDA

View Full Version : Is This An Antique Sewing Machine??

phoots
August 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Hello everyone! A couple weeks ago a friend of mine when to a yard sale to buy a sewing table she had seen. What she didn't realize was that it came with an old sewing machine. She tells me that it does work. It has a "plaque" on it that says "Seidel & Naumann Dresden" and it says "Maschine Naumann." There is also a number on the base of the machine...183009z1.

I'm going to attach pictures. Can anyone tell me about this machine??? Does anyone know how much it's worth?? My friend wants to sell it because she doesn't have room for anything else in her house. She and her DH are pack rats!!

Pam in Vegas

Sorry the pictures are sideways. :(

auntiemern
August 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Sandy is the resident sewing machine expert I think. Have you tried googling it? Old sewing machines really aren't worth as much as some may think they are from my experience. It was made in Germany around the turn of the century I think. Dresden is the name of the town where it was manufactured. Have no idea of possible value though.

janluna
August 5th, 2012, 01:04 AM
What shape is the table in? Sometimes if they both look good, they are worth something. I wouldn't care. Just to have a machine like that in working order would make me happy!!! What a neat find. Hugs, Jan L.
P.S. Definitely wait until Sandy see this, she'll know where to look to find out. That is if she doesn't already know. {:->

Meli
August 5th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Pam, I did a quick google search and found this small, but interesting website:
http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Seidel%20&%20Naumann.htm
The machines were designed by Mr. Naumann (hence "Maschine Naumann") but he didn't have the capitol to produce them, so he partnered, briefly, with Mr. Seidel.

Sandy Navas
August 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I took this information from a website - given the serial number you posted, Pam, I would say the machine your friend found is definitely an antique - probably manufactured before WWI. I know nothing about German made sewing machines would would LOVE to have this one in my collection . . . never happen. I would suggest that she advertise it on e-bay and if she is willing to sell the cabinet with it have a reserve price of around $300 (no less) and see what she comes up with. It appears to be complete and a gorgeous machine.

Bruno Naumann started producing sewing machines in Dresden in August 1868 but lacking capital to develop his machines he was joined by Emil Seidel and in 1872 Seidel & Naumann came into being. Although the partnership was short lived with Seidel leaving the firm in 1876 the name remained unchanged.

In 1898 the Company employed 2,500 workers producing 80,000 sewing machines and 40,000 cycles a year. By 1906 production of sewing machines had increased to 100,000 a year .
In 1900 the company started producing typewriters which eventually became the main stay of the company's products. http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/naumann.jpg
Seidel & Naumann: Serial No. 141872.
Manufacturered by Seidel & Naumann in the late 1880's and sold through the Company's depot at 24, Moor Lane, London. It is a transverse shuttle machine and has the needle size plate on the shoulder that seems to appear on Seidel and Naumann machines. This type of machine was still being produced at the outbreak of World War 1 and is illustrated in Gamages mail order catalogue of 1914 by which time Seidel & Naumann had produced over 3 million machines.

auntiemern
August 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I just knew you would be the one to figure it all out. Pretty much the same thing I looked at, but still couldn't find anything to figure out what it was worth. Looked on ebay and they didn't have anything. I hope she finds a buyer for it.
I took this information from a website - given the serial number you posted, Pam, I would say the machine your friend found is definitely an antique - probably manufactured before WWI. I know nothing about German made sewing machines would would LOVE to have this one in my collection . . . never happen. I would suggest that she advertise it on e-bay and if she is willing to sell the cabinet with it have a reserve price of around $300 (no less) and see what she comes up with. It appears to be complete and a gorgeous machine.

Bruno Naumann started producing sewing machines in Dresden in August 1868 but lacking capital to develop his machines he was joined by Emil Seidel and in 1872 Seidel & Naumann came into being. Although the partnership was short lived with Seidel leaving the firm in 1876 the name remained unchanged.

In 1898 the Company employed 2,500 workers producing 80,000 sewing machines and 40,000 cycles a year. By 1906 production of sewing machines had increased to 100,000 a year .
In 1900 the company started producing typewriters which eventually became the main stay of the company's products. http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/naumann.jpg
Seidel & Naumann: Serial No. 141872.
Manufacturered by Seidel & Naumann in the late 1880's and sold through the Company's depot at 24, Moor Lane, London. It is a transverse shuttle machine and has the needle size plate on the shoulder that seems to appear on Seidel and Naumann machines. This type of machine was still being produced at the outbreak of World War 1 and is illustrated in Gamages mail order catalogue of 1914 by which time Seidel & Naumann had produced over 3 million machines.

phoots
August 6th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Thank you everyone for your help...especially Meli and most especially SANDY!!! My friend bought the sewing table for $40 and it came with the sewing machine. She'll be so happy to hear what Sandy told me!!

Pam in Vegas :D

GwenRichardson
August 9th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Looks pretty much like a really old sewing machine however it is still in a good condition.