PDA

View Full Version : Reunion

madampolo
August 4th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I went to a family reunion today, and, like always, it was great! I made a key lime pie for dessert. After it was over, someone yelled "who made the key lime pie?" When I admitted to it, he said it was wonderful. It all went, so I guess somebody liked it! I am pooped.

lilmouse
August 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I don't know why but family reunions are exhausting! Feel for you...have a good rest tonight and you will be back in form tomorrow!

Granny Judy
August 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Only one pie?? It wouldn't even make it to the table at one of My Reunions!! There would be several of the Cousins (guys) who could eat the whole thing by themselves and not even slow down when it came to the main course. We grow them big.. 6 foot plus on all the guys.. and 5'9" for the gals... except for me. I only made it to 5'3".. no wonder My Nose is UP turned And I've got a "crink" in my neck.

I was always little, except for this "spreading" when I turned 60.... Late Hubby said I was just contented.. Yeah, thats my story & I'm sticking to it. I'm very contented!!

Sandy Navas
August 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Love pot lucks. Miss our family reunions, but the tree has so many branches now that the bottom leaves don't know the top leaves, names nor numbers.

Have to share. Dad HATED family gatherings although he tolerated when necessary. Once he passed on, Momma sort of blossomed into a social butterfly. Off to the senior groups she went - pot luck on Wednesdays, pot luck every other Tuesday night, playing cards (which Dad also hated), what a great time. Her stand-by dish for the pot lucks? Jell-O with mixed fruit cocktail. Got the picture? Came the time that the mind started going, finances must have seemed tight or else she didn't get to the grocery store that week. Got the picture? What does she make to take to the pot luck? She fretted and pondered and came up with a solution. Later she was very confused because she had to bring the whole dish home and could not understand. No fruit cocktail in the house? What do you use?
Canned sweet 'taters. She swore they were yummy.
YUCK.

Granny Judy
August 4th, 2012, 11:19 PM
LOL.... Now that is Funny. At least yo Mama was thinking along the correct lines.

madampolo
August 5th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Now, that is funny! I also made a corn casserole. Someone made something that to me looked like sweet potatoes without any marshmallows. Yuck. It didn't get eaten much. They had BBQ beef and sausage. One of the ladies makes homemade real thin noodles, a tradition. She makes them from scratch, and has a machine that cuts them so thin. A great big old pot of them gets eaten every year, and my husband saw to it there was none left. She cooks them with chicken broth. I rather like going to the reunion.

Lisaau
August 5th, 2012, 08:20 AM
sweet potatoe with marshmallows???????

ncgrammie
August 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Ummm...homemade noodles. Those are a Thanksgiving tradition at my house since I was a little girl. My mom used to hand mix the dough and use a rolling pin to roll it out very thin, then roll the the dough in a log and cut them by hand. All very thin. When I started my tradition, I used a food processer and a pasta machine. My dad used to complain that my noodles had no character. I told him I didn’t want to get to know them, I only wanted to eat them! LOL. Then again, Mom was making noodles for 4 and I was making them for 9...6 of them were males who would fight to the death for homemade noodles.

Sandy Navas
August 5th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Who had to bring up homemade noodles? The shame of it all. Although Al is our pasta maker here at home, my best memories come from Mom making noodles. Like Theda mentioned, Mom rolled out the dough, then rerolled into a long 'cylinder' and began cutting in a herring-bone style. Li'l Sis and I loved the RAW noodles (with RAW eggs still there!!) and would come to swipe some as Mom was slicing away. I remember oh, so very fondly, that Mom could whip that knife over and crack us on the knuckles with the back of the knife, rotate it back and continue slicing without missing a beat. Before she started going downhill memory-wise she insisted she had NEVER done any such thing . . . but my memory of it is quite clear.

Given all that, I favorite meal then would be that OLD, tough bird hen who had quit laying for us. Mom knew the meat would be tough so she would put her on early in the day and let her cook slowly to help tenderize her. But the very BESTEST part would be the egg sack (at least that's what we called it - actually the hen's uterus and ovaries) and the yolks would still be attached - varying sizes and . . . oh, so very yummy.