PDA

View Full Version : Aw - Why I do this quilty thing!

BellasQuilts
August 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM
25887I made a lap quilt for my Aunt Helen. I emailed my cousin to ask what colors she liked. Found a great jelly roll and made a jelly roll race quilt. I hand stitched the binding (of course) and mailed it off to her. She just called, and she was crying. She said it was so beautiful, and how thoughtful, and the hand work was perfect, and just my colors. Thank you! Her mother, my quilty dear sweet grandma Lena, taught Aunt Helen how to quilt and crochet. They both were always making something for everyone in the family. I told her it was my way to thank her for all she did for me growing up, for making stuff for all of us, and it was high time someone made something for her. Well, her tears and thank yous were music to my ears. I did good, hope grandma Lena is proud of me. Just trying to carry on the tradition. Sigh. What a great feeling that I made her so happy.

auntiemern
August 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM
So happy for you and your aunt. Making something special, for someone special is the reason most of us do it I think. Tears of joy. I doesn't get much better than that. :)

janluna
August 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Of course you made her happy! Our elders are usually forgotten. Sad but true. My Aunt is 86 and when I call her to see how she is doing you would think I gave her the moon. When in fact, it's she who gave me so much as I was growing up, as a teen, as an adult, when I got married, and when I had children. She saw me through my Mom and Dad's illness and their passing. I owe her so much! She is the last of my family. If only we would all be as kind to our elders as you were, they would be in better shape these days. God Bless you Megan, hugs, Jan L.

bec
August 4th, 2012, 06:37 PM
What a wonderful feeling for the both of you. It made me cry just reading your story. It's awesome that you were so thoughtful. As I get older, I wonder who will be there for me, if anybody. The younger generation, in general, doesn't seem to have time for their elders. I hope I'm as lucky as your aunt. (hugs)

Sandy Navas
August 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM
My throat closed up and the tears welled up. What a good feeling.

a1angiem
August 4th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Well, that IS a gorgeous quilt! It is a great feeling when it's well received. I just got a thank you card from my niece and she said my quilt was her favourite shower gift of all! Makes you feel good....but also, imagine how special you would feel if somebody HANDMADE something specifically for you, paid for all the materials, worked for hours & hours on it...yes, quilting is a wonderful thing to share!!!!! Great job!

Bubby
August 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Your quilt looks like it would suit someone very feminine and sweet....it's beautiful!! I'm sure she will treasure it!

pcbatiks
August 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you had a great day.....the quilt is so pretty and your aunt will enjoy it!

Winniesfriend
August 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Awww what a lovely feeling, glad your aunt loved her quilt, you quilt is beautifull

Cathy F
August 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
What a memory you've created for both of you! Beautiful quilt!

Jilli
August 4th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Aww that was so sweet of you. And it's really a beautiful quilt. One day....lol

lilmouse
August 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
The quilt is beautiful and so are you for making it for her...I am glad she loved it and know the feeling when someone really appreciates what you do!

missquilterbee
August 4th, 2012, 11:10 PM
That is a great memory! I hope that I will be able to do this for the people in my family that I love when I have the skill and money to do so. That is just awesome that she loved it. :) It's songreat when you can give back like that.

HandsOffItsMine
August 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM
How wonderful that your Tante loved the quilt you made for her! That she felt the love and respect you have for her. It came out beautifully, love the colors and print. Your workmanship is great as always. :)

Huggers, Ruby

BellasQuilts
August 5th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Aww shucks!

Musical_Starling
August 5th, 2012, 05:30 AM
What a nice thing to do! I'm sure she's telling anyone who will listen about her quilt and how thoughtful you are :)

Klasien
August 5th, 2012, 05:51 AM
What a gorgeous quilt, and what a great story!
I know that you will remember this for the rest of your life!
I am so happy for you and your aunt!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

quilter.martha
August 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM
It does warm the heart, doesn't it? You did a great thing Meagan!

Debbie MM
August 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM
The quilt is beautiful, it will be a gift that she will never forget. Sometimes what we feel is not the biggest thing makes the biggest difference to someone else

carolv
August 5th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Beautiful quilt and what great thing to do for your aunt!

Blondie
August 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Megan, your granny would certainly be proud of you. I know I am.
Lovely quilt! You are most dear and precious to many here.
Blondie

Monique
August 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
A very heartwarming story.

New York Sue
August 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Bless her heart, and yours!
Just BEAUTIFUL!

sewmuchjan
August 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Awww Megan that is just sew beautiful, the quilt and you, and your dear Aunt..

Hugs,
Jan G.