PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - almost the weekend

Blondie
August 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM

It's Thursday folksies! Gosh, I can get lost and run late just from getting caught up from last night's reading. We sure are a group of busy, chatty, prayerful and prolific-ly productive peeps!

Sis and I have been doing busy work down at mom's - just not much of it. We are in the staging area and need our men to help us with some digging. All the digging we did last week wore us out. What we need now are some holes dug for some goodies to be moved around.

We are having a birthday celebration dinner at Mom's for my big brother this weekend. I am always at a loss as what to give folks as a gift. Wish I had something to re gift.

On a brighter note, hubby came home yesterday afternoon with a big bag of Chick Fil A. I love not having to cook. It was a pleasant surprise since I spent the day doing anything but my own home stuff. I was just preparing to shake rattle and roll in the kitchen when hubs come in whistling a ditty and shaking that wonderful smelling bag of goodies. We don't have one close to us ~ one of his work mates and he did a "run" for the entire staff. Yay for me is all I can say.

Have a wonderful day folksies!
Praying for my friends here who need a special touch.

Blondie

Bubby
August 2nd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Good Morning...

I'm dragging a bit today, but at least I can stay home and sew today. We have been too busy lately and the heatwave makes everything more difficult.

I plan to work on my Halloween blocks today. I stopped at a quilt shop in Rolla yesterday on my way home and bought a couple more halloween prints. I also bought some of the new RealTree fabric and the matching panel to make DH a surprise quilt for Christmas. This is some of the nicest fabric ever...very high quality.

I have to hop off here and get DH off to work and cook Miss Molly her egg. Wishing everyone a good day...prayers going out for those of us in need of comfort, healing and encouragement. Hugs, Barb

RFREE
August 2nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
Morning everybody:) My summer break has come to an end:( I return to work tomorrow after 8 wonderful weeks off. I guess I am ready.Might as well be anyway. I will have it by myself this year.The help they hired to help me last year just did not work out. I will be good and busy all year but that's o.k. I'd rather be busy than not. My latest sewing adventure was just last night. What a doozy it was too. I got a wild hair and decided I wanted to recover my favorite outdoor swing. My BIL had the canvas and the industrial sewing machine I would need to get it all done so off I went.It took us about 4 1/2 hours but it sure looks good for 2 people who didn't have a clue as to what we were doing. 100 degree weather and no air in the shop:( But we started about 7 last night and finished 11:30.As hard as it was it was still fun.
Blondie keep plugging along with your moms yard.You'll get there eventually.I got all but one of my flower beds cleaned out.I figured since they were all dried up I might as well clean them out. They look alot better too.
You all have a wonderful day today.I am off to the high school to pick up DD Freshman schedule.Man they really grow up fast. I can't believe she is in high school.Where does the time go?As somebody said "The older I get the faster time goes!"they hit the nail on the head.
Hugs
Rhonda

Klasien
August 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Toady is a day of a little work an sewing!
This morning around 8 my DD and I went to the market and we found real nice fabric for borders around Douwe's quilt.
After that I had a client in the salon and the rest of the day I took off!!
It is vacation time so every now and then I give myself a day or a part of the day off...... ;)
So I am working putting Douwe's top together!
I is going to be a very pretty quilt when done.
I love working on it, all the little notes written on the blocks, the names, the card that came with it...........LOVE it!!!!!!

So I have to hurry back to the sewingmachine.....

Have a great day!!!!!!!

Monique
August 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Good morning all. I AM BACK!! Got back yesterday afternoon, a little tired. The trip to the camp was a little hairy. We got a flat tire on the van, not good. The boys could not get the spare off, so we drove the rest of the way, about 10km on the rim. Donna and I were a little worried to say the least. Got to the camp, unloaded out stuff, had a bite to eat and went fishing. Joel had a hard time getting the motor running, but persisted and away we went. We only caught three white fish and I did catch the biggest. That would be all we caught the whole time. The boys fished the most and caught nothing. We had a little storm Tuesday afternoon and some much needed rain. The boys did eventually get the donut spare tire on Tuesday. It was a slow trip home yesterday, but we made it. Had a wonderful time and lots of laughs.

I did a little more quilting on the baby quilt last night. It is coming along nicely. Today I have to head into Ottawa to pay for the quilt trip in September. I will stop on the way home and get some groceries.

I am glad to be back here.

Take care everyone.

CrazyMtnLady
August 2nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Good Morning all. Off to a slow start this morning. Did not sleep well last night for some reason. Will have a busy day today getting the clothes for DH's gun show trip ironed and packed. As well as getting all his food stuff ready so all I have to do tomorrow morning is throw it in the cooler. I will probably have to clean out the truck today too. I don't know why it seems I always seem to work harder at getting him ready to go than he does! :( But it will be worth the 3 days of quiet time to sew to my hearts content. ;)

I made up a batch of cookie dough (snickerdoodles) last night and put it in the fridge. I made up a double batch. Today I will bake up about a dozen cookies. That way I can pack a few for DH over the weekend and have a few here. If I make up an entire batch DH will just eat them until they are gone and he is Diabetic. But still wants a "treat" now and then.

hugs and prayers to all in need.

Cellomom
August 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Snickerdoodles! Yum! Now I'm going to have to make some. We went to town yesterday to help my mother buy a new computer. Her old computer took years to connect to anything online. We've been trying to tell her to update to a higher speed service, but she was content to "do other things" while waiting for her connections to come up. Boy, will she be amazed at her new speed!! The serviceman is connecting her high speed today. I'll let you know how my 79 year mom reacts. We also went to the Spiderman movie. Loved the movie! I legally qualify as a senior citizen now, so we go to the matinee and get in for 7.50 each.:D Have a great day everyone!

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Snickerdoodles, long-haired poodles, raining cats and dogs, fishing trips, Halloween prints, wild hairs and even hair clips . . .

Did I miss anything? Where are the cats and dogs? We had a storm rush through here about 4:30 this morning with wind bashing at the windows, and enough rain to wet the sidewalk. Then it took off to places unknown. Oh, how we need the rain.

Have a baby-sitting task this morning while DD and oldest DGD have a doctor's trip - my little Rita has been begging for a special Nana day - I told her I would just come over and play. Hopefully I can get home this afternoon and make some more headway on my efforts to 'go minimal' . . . I think I have just about every room in the house decluttered now. That's such a good feeling. I'll probably have to do it again in a couple of months.

Off to see what I can accomplish before heading out. I hope everyone has a fantastic day. Oh, and if anyone finds the rain that by-passed me, please send it back.

Salud, amor, y pesitas, y el tiempo para gastarlas.

buckeyequilter
August 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Salud, amor, y pesitas, y el tiempo para gastarlas.

Since I can't read or speak any foreign language...this is what google told me:

Health, love, and circular barbell balls, and time to be spent

Granny Judy
August 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Not much on the "to do" list for today. Son in Law is trying to get his workman's comp going for his knee injury. He's been off work all July and now August. Awaiting confirmation and ok for the surgery to remove the LARGE bone spur that developed after injuring it at work. He can't kneel or crawl without pain and swelling. And in his line of work he has to do alot of both.

Anyone ever have to deal with a workman's Claim?? It's degrading and time consuming!! If it wasn't the employer's rep, it was the insurance rep.... they act like He is a Criminal. So upsetting when all He wants is to be treated fairly and get it fixed so he can continue working. OK, off my soap box.

EnumclawGramma
August 2nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
Awww Thursday. The day before my "one work day week" begins. This is the day I rush around doing things I should have been doing all week so I can relax on the weekend! I'll probably make time to work on my Halloween blocks today. Change the bed linens and vacuum. Our County fair starts today so we will be taking DGD and her *boyfriend* this weekend. The weather should clear by then. (Sandy, I have your rain and I would be happy to send it back!) I can't figure out where July went. Time sure flies when you're 50++, huh?

EnumclawGramma
August 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Since I can't read or speak any foreign language...this is what google told me:

Health, love, and circular barbell balls, and time to be spent

LOL!!!! Oh boy.....toooo funny!

EnumclawGramma
August 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Not much on the "to do" list for today. Son in Law is trying to get his workman's comp going for his knee injury. He's been off work all July and now August. Awaiting confirmation and ok for the surgery to remove the LARGE bone spur that developed after injuring it at work. He can't kneel or crawl without pain and swelling. And in his line of work he has to do alot of both.

Anyone ever have to deal with a workman's Claim?? It's degrading and time consuming!! If it wasn't the employer's rep, it was the insurance rep.... they act like He is a Criminal. So upsetting when all He wants is to be treated fairly and get it fixed so he can continue working. OK, off my soap box.

We did deal with Workman's comp several years ago. My DH was a roofer and fell and broke his arm. He was in a cast for 3 months. They waited until all my utilities were due to be shut off and my rent was overdue before they paid. We had 3 very small children. It was BAD. There is so much fraud in that system too. You see reports of people filing bogus reports and getting paid to sit home for the rest of their lives. Frustrating!

auntiemern
August 2nd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Morning all. Was up rather early for me, but actually slept well last night. Not much on the agenda, since I am supposed to rest, and DH is skulking around. May try to get a little done on my DGGS's quilt. I wish we would get some of that rain. This heat and drought is just kicking my butt. Calling Dr. today to make appt, so he can tell me what I already know, lol. But need him to prescribe the proper medication, to get me feeling better. Hugs and prayers to all in need. Wishing all my quilty friends, a blessed and fabric filled day.

lilmouse
August 2nd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Sorry you are uncomfortable AuntieMern.....wish I could help you.....keep you in prayer and sending hugs your way.....hello to all; getting myself ready for work and a 12 hr. fast...water only and my medications......coffee is such a habit..have to empty the pot before work or I will automatically pour a cup and drink it without even thinking about it.....surgery is two weeks away and coming up fast.....time sure does fly when you get past that 50th mark......especially so if you are dreading something...then it really flys by......hugs and prayers to all in need....love you all:icon_hi:

pcbatiks
August 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
LOL!!!! Oh boy.....toooo funny!

Circular barbell balls!!!!! I agree that is too funny!

toggpine
August 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Good Morning All!

Donna, you can actually make all of the snickerdoodles into balls, coat them in the cinnamon sugar and freeze them so they are ready to bake. I did flatten them a bit before I put them on the parchment paper (wax paper works too) and froze them on the cookie sheet. Once they are frozen I put them in to an opaque container layered with wax paper. I could then pull a few out, let them defrost and bake them up. I tried straight from the freezer to the oven, but the centers took longer to bake than the edges. Flattening them did help, but not completely.

Enumclaw Grandma/Libby,
What day are you headed to the fair? I am scheduled to judge the goats out at the King Co. Fair this year. We start the show at 10 on Saturday. We will take a lunch break after the meat and dairy animals and then start back up at 3 with the pack animals. If you are there on Saturday stop by! I'd love to meet one of the MSQC forum ladies!

As you can see, things are never dull around here. With fair season starting I have a few paying jobs there! Yea! I usually don't mind the events unless the parents go off the deep end. Oh well. Kids have to be wrong or in last place sometimes, or they will never learn to deal with disappointment and figure out how to move on. I hate it when they cry though. If they could only understand that for the most part, it is just little things that moved them up or down the line, and they can do better next time, but no matter how often I explain, some just don't get it.

I had better get the last of the morning chores done. I need to get over to Mom's today. She had the office/tool shed in the backyard cave in this last winter with all of the snow and ice on the roof. The insurance company has finally settled the claim and she is having someone come in and demolish it. There are a few things along the side that need to be moved out as they didn't get damaged. She can't do it by herself and some of the things will be headed out here to the farm anyway.
After that bit of fun and excitement, we have Em's speech therapy appointment today. Hopefully I can get home in enough time to make colcannon for dinner tonight. We were given a large head of cabbage when we picked up our hay on Monday. I can honestly say that cabbage isn't a veggie I use very often, so this ought to be quite the experiment.

Hugs to you all, and may you have a great day!!
Cathy

EnumclawGramma
August 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Good Morning All!

Donna, you can actually make all of the snickerdoodles into balls, coat them in the cinnamon sugar and freeze them so they are ready to bake. I did flatten them a bit before I put them on the parchment paper (wax paper works too) and froze them on the cookie sheet. Once they are frozen I put them in to an opaque container layered with wax paper. I could then pull a few out, let them defrost and bake them up. I tried straight from the freezer to the oven, but the centers took longer to bake than the edges. Flattening them did help, but not completely.

Enumclaw Grandma/Libby,
What day are you headed to the fair? I am scheduled to judge the goats out at the King Co. Fair this year. We start the show at 10 on Saturday. We will take a lunch break after the meat and dairy animals and then start back up at 3 with the pack animals. If you are there on Saturday stop by! I'd love to meet one of the MSQC forum ladies!

As you can see, things are never dull around here. With fair season starting I have a few paying jobs there! Yea! I usually don't mind the events unless the parents go off the deep end. Oh well. Kids have to be wrong or in last place sometimes, or they will never learn to deal with disappointment and figure out how to move on. I hate it when they cry though. If they could only understand that for the most part, it is just little things that moved them up or down the line, and they can do better next time, but no matter how often I explain, some just don't get it.

I had better get the last of the morning chores done. I need to get over to Mom's today. She had the office/tool shed in the backyard cave in this last winter with all of the snow and ice on the roof. The insurance company has finally settled the claim and she is having someone come in and demolish it. There are a few things along the side that need to be moved out as they didn't get damaged. She can't do it by herself and some of the things will be headed out here to the farm anyway.
After that bit of fun and excitement, we have Em's speech therapy appointment today. Hopefully I can get home in enough time to make colcannon for dinner tonight. We were given a large head of cabbage when we picked up our hay on Monday. I can honestly say that cabbage isn't a veggie I use very often, so this ought to be quite the experiment.

Hugs to you all, and may you have a great day!!
Cathy

Cathy how cool would that be?? I sent you a PM. Would be GREAT to meet you!

Lisaau
August 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Salud, amor, y pesitas, y el tiempo para gastarlas =Health, love, and pesitas, and the time to spend them

according to bing translator

PS: what are snickdoodles and may l please have the recipe

its 4.18am here l sit waiting for painkiller to kick in and the linament l just rubbed into my left knee to work ..sigh!!!!

K. McEuen
August 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Snickerdoodles are cookies. Sort of like a sugar cookie, but rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking.

Ingredients

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended.
In a small shallow bowl, stir together the 2 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll the balls in the sugar mixture. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should be slightly golden at the edges. Remove to cool on wire racks.

Lisaau
August 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks Karen...sound delicious

toggpine
August 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Skip the shallow bowl and put the sugar & cinnamon in a plastic zip top baggie (gallon size). Drop in several of the rolled cookie balls twist the top down with some air trapped in side and give it a shake to coat the cookies. I can get at least six and sometimes twelve, depending on the size of the cookies, in the bag. This works great with the young chef. She has fun & my kitchen really appreciates it too!
I suppose you could use a bowl with a cover to get the same effect.

Cathy

Blondie
August 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Okay, I am LOL'ing at the barbells versis the pesitas. Either way, Shirley you brought a big old toothy grin out of me.

Judy, workman's comp is a big joke. Remember hubs bad burn last Christmas time? He was out of work for almost 4 months. He got paid 250 dollars. It is because he is considered a part time employee of the cafeteria and a part time bus driver, which equals a full time job so he can have benefits. Because he was considered part time, he didn't have to get paid the full amount he would have been entitled to as a full time employee. Go figure. We are still under the financial strain of his loss of work. Believe me, I said more than heckfire, shoot a few times!

Marilyn, I thought of you early this morning and when I got out of work, in this gawd awful heat, I thought of you as well. A friend of mine with fibro says weather can really make things flare. Hugs. Wish I could offer more than my prayers.

Okay folksies, off to see what trouble I can get into. I missed all the Drew Petersen drama today, so I am off to read about it. I am assuming that the Judge won't allow a mistrial. Fingers crossed.

Blessings to all !

Sandy Navas
August 2nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Okay, gotta explain - my parting remark this morning was the Espanol translation of Ernest Hemingway's favorite toast. And, in English it says: To your health, love, and money (finances), may you have all the time you need in which to use them. Or, simply, Health, Love and Money, and all the time to spend them.

Snickerdoodles are among my very, very favorite cookies. Next has to be oatmeal raisin but since I don't eat much sweets any more I can only sit here and let my mouth water.

I won't be on tomorrow as Emily and I are making a special trip to the American Girl store in Overland Park, KS. She refuses to ask one of her sisters to go with her because then they would ALL want to go. Middle Child!!!! Al just headed over their house to show the bed he is making for her doll - which will save us the $94 she thought we should spend on it for her (alone). KIDS. Doesn't money grow on trees?

I had to look up Cathy's colcannon because I had never heard of that term. Al and I prefer 'bubble and squeak' with cabbage. I love the cabbage a lot more than he does though.

I am feeling like a late afternoon nap is calling my name. Six kids from 10:30 until 2:30 WORE ME OUT.

Ginny B
August 2nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Ahh yes, the weekend! Love it. Tomorrow will be busy at work and then busy at home too. We are heading upstate to dh's cousin's for a graduation celebration and we will spend the night so it won't be so much driving in one day. Maybe I can find a quilt store or two on the way up/down? LOL I will bring some handwork along with me to keep me busy since dh will be doing the driving in our new car. I've had it all for myself all week so I'll let him have his turn. He is such a sweetie; he calls me everyday at lunchtime and heard a bit of tension in my voice and knew I was feeling a bit anxious about #1 ds so he came home tonight with a bouquet of beautiful flowers to cheer me up a bit. I was actually on the phone with my ds when dh came in so all in all, they both helped me feel much better. So, now, it's just "get through work tomorrow" and then get ready to just relax for the weekend.

Happy almost Friday all.

Ginny B