PDA

View Full Version : Tidbit's "Wonderful Thing"

Meli
August 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Tidbit, my grey and white tabby, is currently licking the back of my hand, and wants me to tell you about the Wonderful Thing he did this past weekend. Saturday morning I opened the back door to the patio door, then went downstairs to do some laundry. When I came back upstairs, I could hear Jim saying, "Hang onto it. Don't drop it." He has recently begun trying to teach the cat to be a dog (don't ask why), so I assumed I would find Tidbit with a stick in his mouth. When I came into the living room, there was Jim, dressed appropriately for the shower, talking to the cat. He looked at me and said, "You need to take the cat outside." At this point, the cat in question looked at me and meowed. He did indeed have something in his mouth, but it wasn't a stick. It was a mouse. And it was very much alive!

Jim had been about to get in the shower when he heard Tidbit meowing incessantly to be let into the bathroom. When Jim opened the door, Bits proudly dropped the mouse at his feet, then quickly chased after it and caught it again. Jim, hardly in a position to take them outside himself, was leading the Great Hunter out into the main part of the house to find me. I then had to pick him up and take him outside. When we neared the patio door, he must have figured out what I had planned, because he dropped the mouse. I screamed and dropped the cat. Who promptly caught the poor mousie again. And I picked up the cat again. Somehow I managed to get them out and the sliding door closed. I praised him for his hunting prowess and encouraged him and his little friend to enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Ten minutes later, he was still standing by the door, meowing to be let in, mouse still in his mouth. Eventually he killed the poor thing, then left it on the doorstep for us.

This, of course, is the ultimate compliment in the cat world! He has told us that (1) he's willing to provide for us if need be and (2) he's willing to teach us how to hunt so we can take care of ourselves in his absence. Never mind we've been doing that for the past 16 years. That's beside the point. I'm sure he's very confused about why we didn't accept his thoughtful gift. Hopefully he won't feel the need to be so thoughtful again!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM
I'm LOLing right now, with remembrances of two weeks ago when my precious Al brought me his catch. Luckily, he had rendered it motionless before he brought it to me, but dropped the bloody carcass right next to me while I was eating breakfast. Tasty treat for a cat, maybe not so much for the owner!

They are funny, and they do think they are great hunters and want to share their prowess with their people. Glad you could get the entire furry ensemble outside before the slightly maimed mouse ran amuck in your house. My Al has brought live stuff in, and then lost interest in it, letting me do the dirty work of catching it again and getting it outside. Really fun when he brought in a chipmunk, that was a merry chase indeed.

Meli
August 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM
Oh, boy. Makes breakfast so much more appetizing that way. NOT! lol

My mom had a cat she rescued when it was just a few days old (wild mamma cat was the victim of a hit and run). When he was about 2, he came in one night through the open window and deposited a live baby squirrel in the middle of my parents' bed. Mom said the next two hours were beyond exciting, and the cat was thoroughly disgusted with them for setting a perfectly good squirrel free.

lilmouse
August 1st, 2012, 10:45 PM
Remind me ...no cats...I would have had a heart attack!....LOL

kelliedi
August 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
I would think not..lilmouse ,,,, hehe

BellasQuilts
August 2nd, 2012, 12:39 AM
ROFL!!!!!!

auntiemern
August 2nd, 2012, 12:43 AM
To funny. I can remember cats from the past bringing me treats. Don't want any gifts like that any more. lol

Musical_Starling
August 2nd, 2012, 03:43 AM
And THIS is why I'm glad I have indoor cats lol

When I was around 12 I had an outdoor cat who loved to bring us "presents" and once brought a bird in the house, still very much alive, and let it go. The poor thing flew up on top of the curtain rod, and the 10 lb cat decided to climb the curtains after it. Needless to say she got taken outside very quickly so we could get the poor birdie down and let it go, hopefully to live another day without being lunch lol

Jean Sewing Machine
August 2nd, 2012, 08:12 AM
And THIS is why I'm glad I have indoor cats lol

When I was around 12 I had an outdoor cat who loved to bring us "presents" and once brought a bird in the house, still very much alive, and let it go. The poor thing flew up on top of the curtain rod, and the 10 lb cat decided to climb the curtains after it. Needless to say she got taken outside very quickly so we could get the poor birdie down and let it go, hopefully to live another day without being lunch lol
I'm ROFL over that picture!

Bubby
August 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
Tidbit sounds like a pretty cool cat!!! Molly used to be a rabbit hunter and one time dragged a mature rabbit she caught (and killed) onto the back porch and wanted to bring it to me indoors. The rabbit was as long as she is. Now she snags an occasional frog or hummingbird. There's a lizard on the patio that's driving her nuts lately but with her diminished eyesight and being so old she doesn't stand a chance of snagging it! What would we do without our furbabies!

janluna
August 3rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
My cat, Sam, used to bring us gifts too. Bunnies, field mice, frogs, etc. However, when he brought home a snake I was not happy! It was still alive too. Now I'm not really afraid of snakes but don't really want one hiding in my house! Our babies do so want to help don't they? I just got really good at looking through the door to make sure Sam wasn't carrying, before I let him in. Hugs, Jan L.

EnumclawGramma
August 3rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
My cat Mitsy was waiting with her "catch" behind the toilet one night when I was getting ready for bed. When I went in and sat down, I saw her there and my thought was "I wonder why Mitsy is crouched behind the toilet like that?" I had no more than finished my thought when her grey lil' "catch" went running OVER my feet with Mitsy in pursuit! I totally surprised myself with what I did next: Jumped up, slammed the seat and lid down and climbed UP, pants at my knees and SCREAMED! Very cartoon like. Amazed myself. My husband came running. He got quite a laugh out of the scene he came in to. Yup.....not a mouse person!

sewmuchjan
August 4th, 2012, 09:01 PM
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!! SOOO FUNNY yes our furbabies are realy a bunch of characters!!!! Makes for an interesting life!!!