PDA

View Full Version : New Iron

dabby
September 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I my iron is on it's last legs and I will need to buy a new one really soon. Unfortunately I was silly and bought a cheap one that over time has gotten this weird brown crud on the bottom of it. This brown crud then gets on my fabrics and clothing. I have scraped the crud off the bottom of it, but eventually comes back.
So my question to you is what brand of iron should I buy? I am definately not going the cheap route but don't want to pay a fortune either.
Please help!! :icon_happy:

Nicole22654
September 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
maybe this could help? i have been looking for one myself and i found this web page handy in my search

http://wize.com/irons/t7374-quilting

Nicole

quiltnut
September 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have a Rowenta I bought last year, I like it very much,you can research online to see different models though.Mine is self cleaning too which is a good feature to have.
Like the old saying goes "You only get what you pay for" :)

janluna
September 7th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I also have a Rowenta. It sounds like you may have some iron or other mineral in your water thats clogging your iron. My step mom Had a lot of sulfur in her water and she went through so many irons she finally gave up and used bottled water or distilled water in them. It stopped the problem.

Lola2Ace
September 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have a Sunbeam Steammaster that I really like. I have had it for several years and it's still going strong. I think if it doesn't have the teflon coating, it will get that brown coating constantly. I think it's fabric and starch residue. I have not had that trouble with this Sunbeam iron. I used to have a Black and Decker iron, that did not have the teflon coating, and I was constantly cleaning the sole plate with a Magic Eraser to get that residue off and it only lasted 1-1/2 years. I also have well water, so I only use spring water that I purchase by the gallon at WalMart. Most irons say not to use distilled, that the minerals needed to create steam are removed in the distilling process, but using the spring water seems to do the trick as I have tons of steam and no spitting of brown yucky stuff on my fabric like when I used our well water.
Lola

hillbilly
September 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have a Rowenta that doesn't work so well. It leaks...BAD! But, this is a problem with them. It is a nice weight, so I just don't put water in it and use a spray bottle.

A quilting magazine did a poll/study of irons about a year ago, and everyones favorite was actually a Black and Decker. It got good votes for weight, performance and price.

brendaromanuck
September 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have a very inexpensive Sunbeam and have been using it for over 15 years. The secret I find to keeping your iron in good working order is to use distilled water. No yucky build up on the soleplate at all. If I am doing applique and happen to get some heat and bond glue on the iron I take a new dryer sheet and rub it on the soleplate. You wouldn't believe how clean it keeps the iron. Good luck on finding the perfect iron to suit you.

dabby
September 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Thank you all for the good advice. I do live in the country and have well water. I never even gave the water a thought as to why I get the yucky brown stuff. Has anyone heard of the Oliso Smart Iron Plus? It is endorsed by Fons and Porters Mag. I am going to do some research on this iron. I just happened to see one on someone's desk here at work. It has an automatic lower and lift system. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Lola2Ace
September 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Here is a link to a blog. She has the Oliso iron and gives testimonial to it. This is a general link and there are links in her writing that will take you to her 1st post about it.

http://loftcreations.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-08-10T06%3A41%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=7

It looks and sounds like a good iron.
She has testimonials to several different products within her blog, and tons of quilty goodness!
I am not affiliated with her, I just like her blog.
Lola

Blondie
October 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Just looking over older threads for one on irons. I am really needing one. I want one that gets HOT and I don't worry about steam since I use liquid starch in a water spray bottle.
I was watching some you tube video and noticed that the lady was using a Black and Decker Pro Express. I looked at our only store in town, WM and they don't carry that b & D.
Has anyone had this iron?
Interested in thinking about a Rowenta but there are so many models of them that I am overwhelmed by what I need vs cost. I want HOT and I want it to stay HOT for more than 10 minutes at a time. I think most irons have an automatic shut off timer built in now?
Thanks for reading this; hope this made some sense.