PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, August 1

Blondie
August 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM

Happy Day, Folksies!

It's Wednesday. It's AUGUST. I want to crawl back in the bed. But I can't. I am already running super duper late this morning. I normally don't go into work on Wed these past several years, but, this morning I must. Two of my regulars had deaths in their families. So, I need to run in do a perm and a 'do.

Dawn, so sorry to read of your friend. I will say a prayer right this minute. Bubby, congrats on your new Janome! Right at this minute I can't even remember what I just read a few minutes ago. So, prayers, hugs and blessings to each one here. I hate feeling like a fly by night this early!

see ya later, gators

rebeccas-sewing
August 1st, 2012, 07:49 AM
WOW, BLONDIE! August already???? Time marches on. I'm almost done with a very colorful baby quilt. Can't wait to finish it up and move on to the next project. I've got a couple of jelly rolls I bought in Virginia and I'm anxious to make Jenny's latest tutorial quilt. It should be fun and easy. The baby quilt is my own lay-out so it's been a bit touch and go to get the borders to fit properly. My math stinks!!! There's a book available called, 60 Pieced Quilt Borders: Mix & Match by Judy Laquidara. Does anyone own this book? It's gotten pretty good reviews. She supposedly explains how to fit pieced borders. She has patterns for borders and also some quilt patterns. I think I might go over to Amazon and make a purchase.

Have a great day, quilters! I hope everyone who is suffering pain, illness, the loss of a loved-one, or any kind of sadness in life will find today a better day. Hoping you all find ways to cope with your problems and find ways to bring happiness to yourself and your loved-ones.

Bubby
August 1st, 2012, 07:55 AM
Good Morning,

Where is this year going? The older I get the quicker times flies.

I have a super busy day. First off I have to make a long drive to Cuba and take care of some business...this will take at least half of my day. No sewing or fun on the agenda today. It's going to be another scorcher, too! One of my DH's co-workers suffered heat stroke on the job and is not expected to survive. He is several years younger than my DH.

I need to be out of here by 6:30 am, so I had better scoot. Wishing everyone a good day...Hugs, Barb

Lisaau
August 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Rebecca do you know about the book depository they're in the UK and the USA they ship books world wide for free. I looked and theyve got that book that you want and it would be cheaper not having to pay for shipping on top of the book price

Book Depository

http://www.bookdepository.com/60-Pieced-Quilt-Borders-Judy-Laquidara/9781604600124

Loonwatcher
August 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Blondie, so good of our to adjust your schedule to accommodate your two clients. I'm sure they appreciate it very much.

Here's how out of touch I've been lately... I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine is in the hospital with several broken ribs and vertebrae. I don't even know what happened to her. Going to see if DH will drive me down there after work today - it's too far for my poor feet to handle the drive myself; driving really seems to piss off those bone spurs.

Rebecca, borders are a challenge for me too. Can't wait to see you baby quilt.

Barb, take it slow and you'll still get your work done. Don't overheat yourself.

Lisa, great tip about the book depository. Thanks.

Have a great day all!

Nancy

Sandy Navas
August 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM
All I have to do is come here in the mornings and I hopefully wind up throwing my "woe is me" attitude out the window . . . sorry, it's that kind of day.

I got excited about Lisa's linkie, too - thanks, Hon! Wonder if they have that GOLD book cheaper here? Nancy, I wonder how it is that our friends try to keep things from us. My BFF here doesn't let me know things until after the fact . . . but I always think it is because I haven't called her as often as I should. Talk about heat stroke, Barb, I had my first one when I was a child about 5 and the family thought I was a sure goner. I've had three or four others since then - a close one just here recently. I try to stay in as much as possible - even when the grandkids can't understand why I won't take them to play miniature golf when it is 98 degrees in the shade.

I'm like Rebecca - totally amazed and blown away that it is August already. Do you think we need to clue Blondie in that she needs to redo the tree collage and use oranges, yellows and browns instead of greens?

Another interrupted day for me, although I am feeling totally off the wall about having cleaned the sewing room. DD calls and says she has two little pukey ones today and would I take oldest DGD to work at 11 and pick her up at 3. Wish this kid would brave it up and go ahead and get her driver's license but I can understand her fears (after all, she'll never be able to afford a car and insurance on her own . . . ) Gotta love her though since she suffers from so many ailments. At least she's making an effort. And that's about the only time I truly get to visit with her - to and from work.

I don't know what happened over night but I woke up feeling as if I had been pulled through a turnip hole - every bone, joint, muscle in my body aches. It must be Al's fault - he threw his back out yesterday and is walking like a leaning telephone pole. Gee it is so much fun getting old.

Okay, enough of this stuff. Off to bigger things (a good soft bed sounds about big enough). Hope everyone has a wonderful, productive, fun-filled day. I send prayers to all in need, hugs where warranted, and a smile for everyone!

Lisaau
August 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
awww ((((((((Sandy)))))) Mate I hope you feel better soon and your welcome to the link .....the American site is ".com" wheres the UK site is ".co.uk"...l often will compare prices on either site and buy from which ever one happen to be the cheapest. But l must admit l did chuckle at the "Turnip Hole" comment ...but what is a "Turnip Hole"???......I hope your feeling better when you read this. Love Ya

Sandy Navas
August 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
awww ((((((((Sandy)))))) Mate I hope you feel better soon and your welcome to the link .....the American site is ".com" wheres the UK site is ".co.uk"...l often will compare prices on either site and buy from which ever one happen to be the cheapest. But l must admit l did chuckle at the "Turnip Hole" comment ...but what is a "Turnip Hole"???......I hope your feeling better when you read this. Love Ya

Well, let's see . . . a turnip hole. We plant turnips in the fall before or right around the first frost. Then in the spring they are often sweet, tender, and just ready for harvesting. If you pull them up at the right time they will leave a hole in the ground. Not to be confused with a ground-hog hole, nor a fishin' hole, nor a mud hole.

CrazyMtnLady
August 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Good Morning all, so many of you are up and at 'em early this morning.
Ah, August.....the month for getting older, for being married one more year and for DH getting a year older also.
We had a little more rain overnight. Yesterday it sprinkled on and off most of the day. We actually took the bike to town and didn't even get wet. DH had worked on our mechanics rifle and refinished it too so we took it back to him and then went to the grocery store (10% off everything for 55 yrs and older on Tuesdays).
Today I hope to get a load of laundry done and iron a few things. DH has a gun show this weekend and will be leaving early Friday so I have to have everything packed by tomorrow night so we can get the truck packed and ready to go. I won't be online this weekend since he will have the computer. :(
Have a wonderful day. Prayers and hugs to those in need.

Lisaau
August 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
mmmmm okkkkkkkk !!!! lolololol why do l get the feeling your pulling my leg rofl !!!!!!

buckeyequilter
August 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Good morning....

I took a vacation day and am working on Mom's quilt....I have the first row sewn and am going to take it and lay it across her bed to make sure it fits and then measure the length of the bed.

I will be going to her doctor's appointment with her today. Mom is becoming quite fiesty....telling people that she doesn't have cancer because her doctor don't know what he's doing and that's why she has to go to cancer doctor. She told me if this cancer doctor tells her she has cancer that she's going to get a second opinion. I told my sister that mom is going to go from doctor to doctor and try to find one that will tell her what she wants to hear. My sister is dwelling on this, she doesn't work or have any hobbies, she's always e-mailing me links to cancer sites - she may think I don't care but the fact is I try to keep my mind occupied - I work and have my sewing & quilting, so all that keeps me busy. I just keep thinking that we have to stay strong for mom and not start feeling sorry for ourselves - there will be time for tears later and now is not the time because mom doesn't want pity (she said so).

I have a best friend (since 5th grade in school) and we are always there for each other - we've been through raising our families, marriages, divorces, death of family members and just about everything in our lives together. We know each other's families (brothers, sisters, parents etc.). Believe me she is my rock and I can tell her anything.

Well....going back out to work on mom's quilt. Everyone have a wonderful day. Prayers and hugs to all.

Granny Judy
August 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Another Month??.... I wasn't thru with the last one. Still got left overs from the quilting department. Gosh, why is everything going so fast... slow down and enjoy life a little more. *that's my motto*.

I just couldn't get my motor running, so headed back to my cozy nest for a few more "winks". Just needed that extra bit of rest to get my body to realize the Sun was UP and Things have to get done. I think that trip to the Hot Tub last night zapped me good.

It's back in the upper 90's here, so I'm staying inside and working on a little applique project for Halloween. Got all the pieces cut out and placed on background fabric. Will be sewing on it inbetween finishing some quilting on the Starry Night quilt. I promise to show N tell when finished with both.

auntiemern
August 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM
Yep it is August, but with the heat, it has felt like August for over a month. Today DH is taking oldest DGK on their 'date'. Movie, lunch, and probably a little shopping. Me, I am gonna get my DGGS's quilt done today, and hopefully get started on another. Still need to get my M* blocks and soldier quilt shipped. Procrastinating I guess. Sending prayers to those in need, hugs to all, and wishes for a wonderful day.

Madeforyouinma11
August 1st, 2012, 01:54 PM
Good afternoon everyone! Wow it's August.. I have so many things that I want to accomplish before the holidays start rolling around. I feel so far behind already. I stopped working in May and I've been going at it since. Of course I had surgery at the end of May that left me not being able to do much for a couple of weeks and I'm supposed to have knee surgery too but I keep putting it off until I have certain things done. I started to paint my kitchen cabinets yesterday...like I don't have enough projects going. It is going to be a very long process so I do a step and then head off to the sewing room. I have to let each step dry for 24 hours and I'm only doing a section at a time so my entire kitchen isn't in a shambles. I know it will look beautiful when they are done. My month of August is quite full with projects, if I can get them all done I will be a very happy camper. We had rain all day yesterday and it cooled it down to the 80's so that is nice. Well, I guess I'm off to paint some and then to the sewing room for the rest of the day. Hope everyone has a wonderful, full filled day! Good thoughts and prayers to everyone.

Blondie
August 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM
Hey folksies
After I left the salon this morning, went to DD's house for a "netflix" day with Sis. We watched some Midsomer Murder and kept checking in on the Drew Petersen fiasco. Sis thinks he will walk. I am a Pollyanna. I am seeing him as hung up by his ankles and whatever your brain can add to that, go for it.

Hot hot hot here today. Off to make some dinner for hubs who was home when I walked through the door. We have been enjoying the Olympics in the evening. I was so happy for our Gymnastic girls. Although, I had to leave the room during the balance beam thing. My tummy cannot take that anxiety.

Sandy Navas
August 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM
mmmmm okkkkkkkk !!!! lolololol why do l get the feeling your pulling my leg rofl !!!!!!

Oh, I do wish I could pull your leg. It must may make your whole body feel better. I tell Al that I wish he would put an old-fashioned ice block carrier in my ears and hang me from the rafters so my body would lengthen and I am sure my back at least would feel better.

Lonna
August 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Just finished up the most wonderful dinner of thin fried catfish, hushpuppies, baked beans with a nice cold beer. Just sitting here now ready to go to sleep but it seems as if that red velvet cake is calling my name. I wonder who will call the loudest the bed or the cake.

middlesis1966
August 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm so very upset at the moment. Even though my tomato plants are looking sad, they still have that sweet yummy juicy oh so tasty tomatoes growing. Not many, but enough to enjoy them for a few meals. Anyways I go out there every evening and plead with them to hurry and ripen. I watched one start going from green to the orange color and knew that by this weekend I was going to be enjoying that tasty treat. Even had the salt and pepper on stand by. Well I came home from my moms and went to go check on the tasty little treat. I rounded the corner and it was gone! I was furious. I know it's just a tomato, but the homegrown one are the best. Well I calmly went to see if the hubs picked it to let it ripen on the sill. (not a fan of that but thats a whole different story!) He didn't pick it. So someone or something is enjoying my tasty treat, grrrrrrr!

Well on a lighter note, my mom came home. I'm still not crazy about that, but there is nothing we can do. My daughter has stepped up to the plate and will not leave her. She's always been a granny's girl so I can see why she won't leave her. She even texted me to bring her the pillows off her bed so her granny could have all of her own. I went back for abit this evening and walk into a party, lol. My other sissy and her daughter were there and the girls (grown young women) were in her wheelchair trying to do wheelies.