PDA

View Full Version : Hey, hey, it's Tuesday!

Blondie
July 31st, 2012, 06:29 AM

Happy Tuesday, Folksies!!

Are you ready for August? Ah, the dog days of summer. Just saying that phrase conjures up lazy blood hounds lying under a creaky wooden porch. Which leads to me ask you, have you ever wondered where certain phrases got their start? Such as:

1."The living daylights" as in what I knew was gonna get beat out of me when I really deserved it.
2. Naked as a jay bird -
3. Shoot the breeze

Oh well, I know y'all have more than a minnow (minner) bucket of them to share with me. I could do a google search for idioms I am sure. I don't want to. I want to hear some of what y'all say without even thinking because it is second nature.

Hoping for some rain today and looking forward to some Court Tv - Drew Petersen's trial starts this morning with it's opening statements. Sis and I will become Madame DaFarge for a few weeks.

I have finally received the fabric from a delusional friend who thinks I will be able to make a king size quilt by Christmas for her. I had almost forgotten that I had agreed to this. She will pay nicely but oy! I didn't think it would be a kingsize.

Have a wonderful day! I'll see you later, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

rebeccas-sewing
July 31st, 2012, 07:04 AM
How did you come up with a price? I was listening to Marianne Fons discussing what one could charge that would actually reflect all the materials and work involved. She doesn't sell her quilts because it just doesn't pay for the amount of time and labor involved. She said if she was going to sell a quilt she'd be charging $20/hr to make it on top of all the materials. WOW!!! I can't imagine asking for that kind of money. The customer would run and hide. LOL Of course, she considers herself a professional which is certainly justified. As a professional this is what she would charge. So, her solution was to sell quilting products instead of quilts. I guess just doubling the cost of materials would probably be an easier way to deal with price. I'd be curious to ask those of you actually selling quilts what you are able to charge that is acceptable to your customers.

BTW Tell us what kind of quilt she wants you to make, Blondie.

Here's one that may offend so please forgive me:

Joe and I were walking home from the university. I saw a friend and blurted out with excitement, "Gosh, I haven't seen you in a coon's age!" We hugged, chatted and headed off to our apartment. Joe says, "Rebecca, do you realize what you just said?" "No, what?" "OMG, Rebecca, in a coon's age?????" Oops! My friend was black. Talk about embarrassment! I wrote it off by saying, "She's young and has probably never heard that expression!" Needless to say, that is one phrase I have wiped from my arsenal of idioms!!!

NanaB
July 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
I have one, but I'm afraid to say it!!! Spent the morning with my cute dentist yesterday. My jaw still is sore. Going to 'bee' today and maybe try to mow the grass later--if I can get the mower started. GREAT--how can I watch Drew Peterson AND the Olympics? I would love to see him quiver in his boots. What a slug! OOPS, fell off my soapbox. Everyone have a great day. Stay cool.

DCM
July 31st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Prayers please for a very good friend -- this forum is amazing in its ability to come together and pray for someone -- we've had so many good outcomes from this group's prayers -- she just learned the cancer she has battled a number of times in the last 7-8 years has come back again. She has a new (her first) grandbaby to enjoy and will now be undergoing chemo and possibly other procedures to try to beat this once again. Sure puts life into perspective when you hear things like this.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM
Isn't it nice to have a cute dentist? I sure have a cutie! He looks like he should be still in high school, but he has been practicing for a couple of years and is now a daddy! Trouble is, while he is working on my mouth, he wears a mask and all I see is his hands!

I want to quilt a top I have had done since before Christmas, putting it on the quilt frame is the pain in my backside that is keeping me from starting. I will do it today, i must promise myself to do it.

middlesis1966
July 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
Prayers going out for your friend Dawn!!!

The tomato plants are hanging in there sad looking but hanging in for sure. One has started to turn so I should have one by the weekend. I've waited all summer so it. Nothing like a summer mater for sure.

Gota get busy and get going for sure on my projects since it was so kindly brought to my attention that Christmas is coming. With the days being so hot, not to much calls me to the outside, so I need to just get started.

Bubby
July 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

I closed up shop at our booth at the antique mall yesterday and spent the early morning today unpacking what I brought home. As soon as the weather cools some I need to tackle the garage and get things in order. We got rid of a lot of large items that were taking up too much room in the garage.

I got up extra early and made two Halloween blocks before 5:00 when the alarm went off. Got DH off to work and fed and medicated Miss Molly. She's sleeping her way through all this hot weather. We are supposed to have temps in the low 100's for the rest of the week.

Good wishes to everyone here and prayers going out for everyone who needs them. Great news from Klasien yesterday about Douwe...an answered prayer!!

twnkeyes
July 31st, 2012, 09:52 AM
I love hearing the "old" phrases and use them often enough that my grown children look at me like "What the heck????" My dad used to say things like, "Dat gum your hide!", g'ma would say, "I dee clare!" to name a couple. This last one is funny as our DD & SIL are naming their child Ivy Claire. I just smiled when they told me. I WILL say to my DGD someday, "Well I dee clare, Ivy Claire!" LOL

I've been working on baby things the past couple weeks......DUH! Burp clothes, changing pads and a quilt. Funny, I didn't have any of these fancy things in fact, I used to BE the burp cloth!

Everyone have a glorious day!

Bubby
July 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure if the way I talk contains idioms or if that's just the way we talk in the country! :)

Jean Sewing Machine
July 31st, 2012, 10:37 AM
I love hearing the "old" phrases and use them often enough that my grown children look at me like "What the heck????" My dad used to say things like, "Dat gum your hide!", g'ma would say, "I dee clare!" to name a couple. This last one is funny as our DD & SIL are naming their child Ivy Claire. I just smiled when they told me. I WILL say to my DGD someday, "Well I dee clare, Ivy Claire!" LOL

I've been working on baby things the past couple weeks......DUH! Burp clothes, changing pads and a quilt. Funny, I didn't have any of these fancy things in fact, I used to BE the burp cloth!

Everyone have a glorious day!

That's a laugh, used to BE the burp cloth! You know the new moms and dads today by their dribbled on shoulders! And their bleary eyes!

Quiltlover
July 31st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Nice to hear some of those old things. My family and my hubbie's had tons of them.
My dad would always say he was "tolerable." Which meant that he was doing okay.
My MIL would say some one who was perky was "full of piss and vinegar."
A heavy rain would be "a toad strangler."

Quiltlover
July 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Someone who was "no-account" or "good for nothing" wasn't "worth a tinker's dam."
I believe a tinker's dam is some kind of tool.

Jilli
July 31st, 2012, 10:45 AM
The good ole folks here say "ill mannered dog." As in acting like a ill-mannered dog when a child or even some adult has gotten in trouble. Cracks me up, I will find my self saying it to my kids when they are acting up. They look at me like I'm crazy.

Speaking of my kids..I don't think I will be getting much done today. Well...I will get 2 of them enrolled in school. Summer here is coming to an end. Sigh. But I will try to find more videos on you tube to watch. I was rather pleased with myself yesterday. I sewed!!!! Just trying to find the technique that feels right for me. And let me tell ya, watching someone sew who is right handed when I'm left handed is kinda confusing. And I think it will be easier once I am able to find a hoop.

Ok, off to watch/read things. Everyone have a great day!

Quiltlover
July 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM
"Hot to trot" could mean you were either in a hurry or "Hot!" as we say still today.
Okay, I'll stop. LOL Brenda in Bama

Lonna
July 31st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

My father-in-law when asked how he was doing would say "As fine as frogs hair spilt three ways".

CrazyMtnLady
July 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure if the way I talk contains idioms or if that's just the way we talk in the country! :)

LOL I think it's just the way we talk in the country! Well "Golly Gee Willikers". and Jumpin' Gee Hosaphat!

the one I never understood is ...if it is suppose to be really hot in you know where then why do we say "It's cold as H3ll!" ?????

Woke up to the sound of rain this morning... just a light shower but at least it was rain! Hope we get some more before the day is over. It was 110* here on Crazy Woman Mountain yesterday! I spent a little time floating around in the pool with a beer, sure was refreshing. Didn't get any sewing done because the non-air-conditioned front room was 115*!!!!!!!!! It's all windows!

Have a great day.

Hugs and prayers.

Granny Judy
July 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Dawn, prayers heading your way.. CA is a tough one to face.

Not doing much today.. Stiff and sore from my Ti Chi work out Monday evening. Yes, I'm still learning new things. Like how to stand on one foot, then float around and stand on the other. Graceful I am NOT...

Since moving from the country, I don't hear the idioms so much. It's been a "month of Sundays" since I last heard one. I would love to find that new quilt store that's a "yip and a Holler" away. Nothing like "blowin your own horn" when ya finish a project.

OK, enough.
Hugs and prayers going out to all.

Sandy Navas
July 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Prayers please for a very good friend -- this forum is amazing in its ability to come together and pray for someone -- we've had so many good outcomes from this group's prayers -- she just learned the cancer she has battled a number of times in the last 7-8 years has come back again. She has a new (her first) grandbaby to enjoy and will now be undergoing chemo and possibly other procedures to try to beat this once again. Sure puts life into perspective when you hear things like this.

Sending prayers for her - may she have many, many years to watch this grandbaby grow to and beyond maturity!

Lisaau
July 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
jili you could turn your monitor upside down then it would be right side up for us lefties hahahahaha

Sandy Navas
July 31st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Well, I declare. My stars and garters. Look what the cat drug in. Who do you think you are kidding?

I've never heard any of those old phrases so really don't know what you are talking about. I'm here feeling fine as chicken teeth, or as Mom always said 'three beans to a hill'.

A little progress yesterday - got some packages mailed so if you were on my mailing list keep your eyes open. Also picked up a few much needed items to continue my organizational duties. I did manage to get to the sewing room and do a few things in the late afternoon and hopefully will get more done today.

Well, lookee there yonder. Who is that coming up the road? Oh, and Rebecca, I thought it was coon's @$$ - and that it referred to the cajun trackers. When someone wanted directions they were told to follow the coon's @$$ because those trackers wore coon-skin hats.

I had best get outta here before I bring more trouble upon myself. Sending up those prayers to all in need, hugs where needed, too. Oh, and if you didn't see Klasien already received the blocks and fixin's for Douwe's quilt. Looking forward to seeing how she does with it.

Sandy Navas
July 31st, 2012, 11:25 AM
jili you could turn your monitor upside down then it would be right side up for us lefties hahahahaha

Didn't know you were a leftie, too - I turned my monitor upside down but now all my typing looks like Russian.

buckeyequilter
July 31st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Good morning.....

My dad grew up in the Appalachian mountain region of Virginia and I think idioms were their entire vocabulary. "Ain't got a lick a sense", "up yonder in the holler", "deader than a door nail", "dumber than a doorknob" and many more.

My mom used to say "you kids just wait 'till your dad gets home"....well we all knew exactly what that meant. One time my mom told two of my nieces to "get in yonder" and one of them asked her where yonder was.

One I just thought of is "brand spanking new" - I hear a lot of people say that.

Well back to work...almost time for lunch. Have a wonderful day...prayers and hugs to all.

rebeccas-sewing
July 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Heavens to mergatroit!

buckeyequilter
July 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM
Heavens to mergatroit!

Yep....and my mom used to say "heavens to betsy" (I always wondered who Betsy was...don't know if I even knew a betsy)

Cellomom
July 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM
I don't know many of these sayings either, but I have a friend who routinely says, "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick." I get that one. The other saying is "Lord, love a duck." I still don't know what she means when she says that!

Lisaau
July 31st, 2012, 12:17 PM
mine is a little naught so please excuse my mum used ot say " sh*t a brick and f*rt a crow bar"

rofl !!!@ sandy

Madeforyouinma11
July 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Good morning everyone! "Don't let the cat out of the bag", "It's raining cats and dogs", "A dime a dozen", are just a few that mom and dad used to say when I was growing up and this one I use quite often still while quilting and crafting and it is "Back to the drawing board".
Jilli, I am left-handed also and growing up left handed was more than a chore back then. I knit, crochet, and do some hand sewing. When I was growing up and learning, I used to sit in front of my mom, or godmother while they did it right handed. Seeing it backwards was the right way for me. You tube doesn't have much for left handed sewing so you will have to do exactly what they are doing, only you will be going in a different direction. Try not to get too hung up on that..use the videos for the how to and settle into your own comfort zone. It'll happen, keep at it. I do use scissors with my right hand because there were no left handed scissors when I was growing up.
I worked on my flannel rag quilt yesterday for awhile and will probably work on it today too. I have some blocks made up that need sashing so I can get that top together. I am looking for patterns for some of my new charm packs. I think I'm going to make a "card trick" quilt. I've seen it made with the "blitzen" charm pack and it really looks nice. I'm adding to it to make it larger with some solid blocks. I'll send picks when I get a couple of blocks made up. I'm also looking into my Christmas cards so I can start making them...not set on a definite yet. Well, I guess nothing is getting done if I am writing here so I'd better get a move on. My iPad is always close by so I can keep checking in. Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Good thoughts and prayers out to everyone.

K. McEuen
July 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
I have finally received the fabric from a delusional friend who thinks I will be able to make a king size quilt by Christmas for her. I had almost forgotten that I had agreed to this. She will pay nicely but oy! I didn't think it would be a kingsize.

A little progress yesterday - got some packages mailed so if you were on my mailing list keep your eyes open.

Could it be ... ?

K. McEuen
July 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM
mine is a little naught so please excuse my mum used ot say " sh*t a brick and f*rt a crow bar"

rofl !!!@ sandy

Ha, we must talk to some of the same people. The one I thought of was "sh!t fire and save the matches."

sewbizzy
July 31st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wow Blondie, so many sayings to share...I love it!!!

How about "blind as a bat", "tickled pink", blow your own horn", "dumb as a stump", "you can take that to the bank", "shiny as a new penny", "up the creek without a paddle", they are as "thick as thieves", "crooked as a dog's hind leg", I'm all "pooped out", "those wages are chicken feed", "if you had a brain you'd be dangerous", "put your best foot forward", you are "full of wind, p*ss and excitement", my dh says his grandmother always said this "there's enough dirt in your ears to grow corn"..."here's a nickel---if you run out of gas---let the buffalo push", and "that's about as funny as a one-legged man in an @ss kicking contest"...
My favorite is what my MIL always said when someone asked her how she was..."I'm fat and sassy"
And last, but not least, FOR ALL OF US "A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE"

most of these are from my dh...he loves all these sayings....

LynneLeavell
July 31st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Some of the idioms that I catch myself saying is "I'm going to slap the snot out of you" or "I'm gonna knock that look off of your face" Then there are others that are not politically correct to post.

Yes, I too use to be a burp cloth. Now I laugh at my DIL and my niece they always have a towel or something handy.

Oh well everyone have a great day. Prayers going out to those who need it and to those who don't.

Lonna
July 31st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Lisaau and Karen I have also hear along those lines " Want in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one gets full first".

auntiemern
July 31st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Oh how well I remember some of these. Will clean a couple of mine up a bit. "slicker than owl poop on a pump handle" Colder than a witches boob" mom used to say the matches and fire one all the time. Also "poop in one hand, and want in the other, and see which gets full the fastest" I am sure I say some of these as well. Wishing all a blessed day, and sending out prayers to those in need.

Doloris
July 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
how about You'll never see it on a gallopin horse.

Blondie
July 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Well, I 'clare! I am so tickled to read all of these fine sayings! I am familiar with most of them. I always like the "fair to middlin'" when asked how one is. A few more I will add - my daddy had a mess of them and they were always hilarious to me. When Jr. Pickens was alive and would visit, everytime he would leave my daddy would say, Lawd, that man is so homely! I know his daddy slapped his momma for pushing that mug out.
And of course, there is "" . . . is so ugly, they fell out of the ugly tree and on the way down, hit every branch."
and " . . . is kinda horsey. I 'clare they could eat corn through a picket fence"
and " . . . is so ornery, they have to tie a pork chop around it's neck to get the dog to play with 'em"

And my personal favorites comes from my Granny on my daddy's side. When someone was worthless she would say "They done sh$t down both their legs" (I heard this quite a bit about my ex. And he had)
Plus, my DD was married to a man so lazy he couldn't be bothered to grab his as$ with both hands.

As you can tell, I am enjoying all your posts! And each accent heard makes it all better than good to my ears. We are living in such an era of political correctness, we are losing a lot of colloquialisms and idioms that are just a part of who we really are. Rebecca, I would've been like you, I certainly would not have thought I had said anything amiss.

Later, dearies.

EnumclawGramma
July 31st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Good afternoon ladies. I've gotten quite a tickle out of reading this! Way out here in the Pacific Northwest we talk like (according to my cousin out east) the NEWS PEOPLE. Not sure what that means, but my Gramma brought a few sayings from Upstate NY years ago. When she was reciting a recipe to my Mom she would always say to use "A Skosh". When asked how much that was she would reply "oh, a goodly amount". My Mom used to accuse me of trying to "make a silk purse out of a sows ear".

Worked some on my Halloween blocks today. I really love the way this is looking and can't wait for swap day! My DD and GD are having a Mother/Daughter day so that will give me some alone time to get that laundry folded and maybe more sewing. The sun is really trying to shine today, should get up to 70 which is perfect for me.

Have a wonderful rest of the day....

lilmouse
July 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Prayers please for a very good friend -- this forum is amazing in its ability to come together and pray for someone -- we've had so many good outcomes from this group's prayers -- she just learned the cancer she has battled a number of times in the last 7-8 years has come back again. She has a new (her first) grandbaby to enjoy and will now be undergoing chemo and possibly other procedures to try to beat this once again. Sure puts life into perspective when you hear things like this. Will keep your friend in prayer.....wish her the best....she's beat it before and she can beat it again! Sending hugs to all

lilmouse
July 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
The good ole folks here say "ill mannered dog." As in acting like a ill-mannered dog when a child or even some adult has gotten in trouble. Cracks me up, I will find my self saying it to my kids when they are acting up. They look at me like I'm crazy.

Speaking of my kids..I don't think I will be getting much done today. Well...I will get 2 of them enrolled in school. Summer here is coming to an end. Sigh. But I will try to find more videos on you tube to watch. I was rather pleased with myself yesterday. I sewed!!!! Just trying to find the technique that feels right for me. And let me tell ya, watching someone sew who is right handed when I'm left handed is kinda confusing. And I think it will be easier once I am able to find a hoop.

Ok, off to watch/read things. Everyone have a great day!
If you watch Jenny's tutorials..she is left handed...you just have to remember you are watching mirror image..hope that helps some

Patience
July 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Blondie, this has been a real pick me up reading. I have always herd that things are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Or someone was up to monkey business. of course my parents were older when I was born so they were adults going through the depression. They would say that there is no reason to cry over spilled milk. I always wondered where that came from.

janluna
August 1st, 2012, 05:36 AM
Dawn, prayers going on for your friend.
Thank you Lilmouse, I was going to say that about Jenny being a lefty as well.
My Mom always said, " If wishes were horses, beggars could ride." And "that scared the living pudding out of me" or "my leg is aching like a tooth ache". We used to ask her "what aches like a leg, Mom?" My step Dad had a million of them. "It's colder than a well diggers boot heel!" And quite a few that I can't repeat. And, "Hit him upside the head with a board, just to get his attention, then I could talk nice to him." "that will be the day", "hotter than blue blazes", "a watched pot never boils", There are more, but I can't think right now. I haven't slept yet and it's 4:30 A.M. Guess I better go to bed and at least get a couple of hours if I can. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.